What's a fever for a PWC? (Possible Swine Flu)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

A couple of days ago, I started feeling myself coming down with 'something'. I was concerned at first that it was H1N1 (swine flu) because it is going around in our community, and the local doctors's offices are reporting 'many cases each day' -- and two of my son's friends have had it. One of the main symptoms that I've heard and read about is fever.

For the first day, nothing. But yesterday and today I've been running a mild fever (around 99.3). I'm starting to have a mild cough. No body aches yet.

My body temperature is usually pretty low. What should I consider a fever?

Basically, is there a point in going in to the doctor at all? We're trying to practice good sanitary habits in the house...I have a husband and son at home. Neither are currently showing any symptoms.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2009]
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

If you are normally low temp with this, then I'd say you do have a fever going there. I would definitely be concerned with the coughing. If you get congested, please go to the ER. If it's swine flu, that can be serious.

I've been running fevers for months and they can't figure out why. My white cell count is up, like I'm trying to fight something off. I keep wondering if I'm a carrier of swine flu at this point. Who knows. There's so much weirdness going around.
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

When I read your reply, I realize that I forgot to put that having fevers is not one of my normal CFIDS symptoms at all. In the last couple of hours, I think I've come to agree that I do have something going on, as the temp has stayed in the 99.3-99.7 range, and I haven't been doing anything that would cause a temperature flare, like exercising, or whatever.

If I still have the fever tomorrow, I am going to have my husband take me in to the walk-in clinic (my regular physician is closed on Saturday -- so typical for this to happen on a weekend) and ask to be tested.

If I understand right, they test to see if someone is positive for influenza A or B. If it is A, they assume it is H1N1 as there are currently not any other strains going around in the area.

Again, thank you for your reply -- I really appreciate it. Your advice is good...in the last couple of years, any kind of cold, etc. seems to go to my chest. I don't have any symptoms of that development yet, but one of my son's friends was diagnosed w/walking pneumonia after the H1N1, and I don't want any more trouble!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2009]
  4. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

I've heard it takes a high fever to have swine flu, and I'd say you'd get it
    pretty quickly.

However...swine flu is famous for affecting the lungs, and is hugely
    dangerous that way, so if you get body aches and more congestion and maybe a
    bad headache, I'd be concerned.

BTW, I don't think clinics and drs offices want us to go there; maybe call
    first to get instructions. They don't want flu cases being spread around the
    clinics, hospitals, etc.

NPR radio said today that this first round of it is pretty mild, but watch out
    for the next round, probably in December. I may cancel Xmas, LOL!

Not funny, I know, but I hope you have a mild case if it is so; then maybe
    you'll have antibodies to the big kahuna we keep getting scared to death

I've stocked up on canned and boxed foods although I don't usually eat
    those, and extra tissues, TT, paper plates, alcohol based hand sanitizer,
    powdered milk, cereals, filling freezer, other stuff. If it hits hard, I plan on
    locking the doors, barring the windows and not letting my 21 y.o. granddau
    out the door.

Read in MedPage Today (today) that kids between 5 and 18 getting hit
    the hardest, with young adults the next.

Take good care of you and yours, and best to you...

5. jole

jole Member

It really stinks when we run below normal as our "norm", because most docs stick to the rule of not calling it a temp unless it's over 101, no matter what we tell them....at least that's been my impression. I was a nurse for a lot of years, and docs just didn't seem to listen. Patient's DO know their own bodies, so I hope if you go they will listen to you.

I ended up with bronchitis more times than I care to remember just because my "temp isn't high enough" to treat, and by the time they'd believe me, I was sicker than a dog. It also takes us much longer to get over things than the normal person, and they never could believe that either. Sooooo frustrating!!

I agree, skeptik, I too am going to stockpile then hole up in the hopes of missing it. Unfortunately, I still have 5 fairly young married kids and grandkids to worry about....I'm sure praying they're wrong about it mutating!!

Juloo, best of luck to you, and I hope it's just another one of our "symptoms" you're enduring. We've been fortunate to not have had any swine flu cases here yet that I'm aware of. Wishing us all well......Jole
  6. sascha

sascha Member

started feeling really ill, went to bed, took my temperature, thermometer said 103. like you, i have a low starting temperature, so to me that was high. a friend brought me homeopathic remedy, >Oscillococcinum, and tincture called Yin Chiao Plus. i took them both (the oscillo says on the pack- "Symptoms of flu- fever, chills, body aches and pains" -my temperature came back down really fast and i felt better (within hour or two of taking these things). found, amazingly, i could carry on the next day.

i was set to go to emergency room if temp went up any more, but then it dropped. but what can doctors do?? there is no swine flu medicine yet.

i really think these natural remedies (health food store, or can order online) helped me. i have taken them this week because a friend from England is here. i've been able to keep going sort of- rest when i need to- i'm amazed i kept going at all- tomorrow i can collapse- hate to see her go, but will be glad to concentrate on getting rid of whatever hit me-

that's a good idea someone mentioned to get fully stocked up so you CAN hibernate if necessary. we live in earthquake country, so we're pretty well supplied for emergencies.

GOOD LUCK! hope you feel better soon- i hope i do, too! Sascha
  7. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I've been suffering with low body temperature most of my life. The doctor's never, ever take it seriously. My mother brought me to the doctor as a child with low body temperature and he was just like, oh you probably had a flu and this is the tail end of it. Yeah, right.

I had gone to the ER a number of years ago for a bad sore throat and my body temperature was 92 or 93 degrees. And they acted like that was normal! And here I was with like a strep throat thing and the temperature was low enough for me to be in the morgue.

For me, a high fever is 98 and up, even 97 can make me feel sick. I think they need to change the guidelines on what is a normal body temperature or they need to recognize that people with our disease have low body temperature as a significant disease marker.

Also, I rarely ever have a cold or a flu. The last time I had an actual cold was about the end of 1994. I picked up a bad headcold at the Mall. And after that the last flu I had was around 96, I caught a bad, severe flu that pretty much everyone was getting and that one did affect my lungs. I was sick for over four months straight with it. And I literally felt like death passed me over on that one. But this is 2009 now, and I haven't had a flu in about thirteen years, and I've never had a flu shot in my entire life. And the cold thing, I had a friend that had one and I thought she gave it to me last year, but my symptoms were incredibly mild and were over very quickly. Whatever is causing CFIDS/ME, it's practically the cure for the common cold and it's own protection against the flu.

The only thing I am extremely vulnerable to is stomach things. I will get a stomach flu or food poisoning at the drop of a hat. That, I have to watch out for, but I suspect that's related to the acid reflux and having had to take tons of antacid meds over the years.
  8. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

The Dr ordered amoxicillin 250g three times a day x 10 days, he had sore throat, tons of coughing, resp. congestion nose and chest and the fever of 101-101.4 two days latter my dughter in law had sore throat, cough, sneezing , watery eyes no fever and they ordered her to take tamiflu. (she is 3 months pregnant) I told her to read about the side effects before starting it one of the first three listed is do not take if you are preg or evev thinking about getting preg, as it can cause fetal damage.also she doesnt even have a fever. I believe she has a plan old cold. I think drs are throwing the antivirals out to people a little to fast, at least make sure she has the flu. at least she has it on hand in case she does show symptoms.Just wanted to put my 2cents in. Blessings ps the amoxiciilian cleared up my grandsons illness.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

If you think you might possibly have the Swine flu, DON'T go to the ER or your doctor's office. Especially at the hospital, you don't want to be spreading the Swine flu to other, in some cases, extremely ill people.

Instead, phone your doctor's office and ask what their procedure is for someone who thinks that they have contracted the Swine flu.
  10. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Finally, after months and months. I don't feel feverish right now. Maybe I threw it off. I don't know. Stranger things.