What's a good broadbased anti viral? RNase L panel?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by redhummingbird, Oct 8, 2008.

1. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

My doctor is recommending valcyte again pending the results of RNase L panel that I did yesterday.

I've treated the bacterial stuff but it seems some virus has reactivated.

I'd rather not take Valcyte though my HHV-6 titers and EBV titers were relatively high at 1:320 though HHV-6 had dropped to 1:160 last Spring.

I talk to my doctor again in 3 weeks. I wanted to get feedback/ideas on anti virals.

I'm also doing mold testing because I have test results indicating biotoxin illness.

Any recommendations? Also, what does Redwood Labs RNase L panel test for?

2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i've never heard of redwood labs but it sounds like you have a great doctor.

i have been on antivirals for a long time, including valcyte, and am finally starting to improve a little (i have been sick over 15 years).

my RNase L went from almost 2000 to 74! (normal: <50).

i don't know if valcyte is safe and i have been on it a lot longer than you are supposed to, but since i was unbareably sick, i took the risk.

good luck
  3. redhummingbird

What do you think of valcyte after your experience?

I do have a great doctor. He really listens.

I think I have the name of the lab wrong. The test cost over $400! I'm hoping insurance will reimburse for at least part of it.

That's wonderful news that your RNase is close to normal!
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

the valcyte alone did not work for me. i needed a valcyte + valtrex combination prescribed by dr. lerner.

valcyte is not nearly as affective for EBV as valtrex.

i had many many tests to rule out other things and i was sure my problem was EBV (and likely HHV 6) before i went to see dr. lerner.

i have been sick for over 15 years after an EBV infection.

good luck
  5. kellyann

kellyann New Member

famvir? it is a really strong anti-viral med. I took it for awhile. I had to stop because of too strong of reaction to it.

6. redhummingbird

I haven't tried any antivirals yet except for herbs.

Thank you for suggesting Famvir. I'll add that to my list of things to research.