what's best, eating meat or being vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimelia, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

just want to hear your thoughts on this :D
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I eat poultry and fish...no red meat & pork.

My daughter's a vegetarian and I worry about her getting enough protein. Vegetarian diets CAN contain enough protein, but you have to work carefully to do so, and I worry that she doesn't do this.
  3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I went vegetarian for about 10 months, but I had to add meat back to my diet this past June. My iron levels were too low and the only way for me to increase them was to eat meat.

I've always felt better when I ate meat. I get an energy from meat that I did not get from any other source.

From what I read, humans digest meat proteins better.

I know of some people feel healthy eating vegetarian though.

marcia
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2006]
  4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

There is a site, which I don't think I can name, that has a Food Pyramid Guide on it and you can calculate your Food Intake and also your Physical Activity.

I just found this 2 days ago and began my chart of what I eat daily. It's difficult to calculate exactly but I try to get as close as possible.

As for your question, I'm not sure but can tell you that my mother doesn't eat meat hardly at all, but she really like black-eyed-peas, and all other beans and veggies. I think the dried or white beans make up for the protein. She is very healthy, as far as we know and yes, past retirement.

Very good question; I'm looking forward to reading the responses.

BlueSky555
  5. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Meat is best. As long as it is lean, it is ok. It is packed with protein, which is essential for energy.

Stephanie
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

My motto is never kill anything unless you are going to eat it-that applies to bugs too! On the same lines, never eat anything you would not be prepared to kill yourself.

Sounds fair.

However, we eat fish and eggs and milk. If people were not eating the orgain beef, we would not have the organic milk as cows need to calf! Dh eats orgainic chicken and turkey.

There is a great deal of protein in vegetables especially when eaten in combination. Ninety per cent of the animal based food available to eat is really not safe, has been reared in appalling conditions, and killed in scary places. It is full of disease and artificial hormones etc(especially milk).

So eating meat may be healthy if you hunt and fish or have an orgainic source close by. I prefer not to eat anything with a face! Even with hunting, many deer and elk have mad cow disease equivilent and it has to be tested. Ditto for fishing, streams and lakes and oceans are polluted and contain PCB's and pesticides.

One can say the same for 70% pf vegetables and fruits, boy orgainic the more who do the more who will and the cheaper it will be. CSA's are a great way to go(community supported agriculture)

Also, it takes an awful lot out of the earth to raise domestic animals for consumption, uses a lot of resources adn many veggies can be grown in a smaller amount of land for less.

Love Anne Cromwell
  7. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to get enough protein and iron for the baby. I eat all sorts of meat now.

My great niece is a vegetarian and I've noticed since she started this that she has gained weight. I think that would be easy to do if one wasn't careful. Too much macaroni and cheese and fries isn't the way to go. I think there are many more choices now, though.