What's difference between Swollen Glands and usual FMS pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm still feeling really horrible. I'm at work, but I have this pain in my neck area and I can't tell if it's swollen glands or just regular FMS pain. How can I tell the difference? I don't want to keep running to the doctor if it's just FMS pain. I can't take my temperature until I go home later. I feel I might be running a low-grade fever again, but I'm not sure. If anyone knows the difference I'd love an answer!

Annette2

THANKS!!!!!
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I understand what you wrote, but how can I know? Right now the side of my neck hurts really bad but I can't tell if it's swollen. What do I do?

Annette2

Sorry if I sound stupid.....
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Swollen lymph nodes can be felt. There is swelling to the touch. Often, when we are fighting an infection, the two little nodes just under the jawline about half way back to the ears swell up and feel like hard little golf balls. If my nodes are swollen, these two are always swollen as well.

BTW, if you use an oral themometer, leave it in the mouth for five minutes, even if it is the electronic type. These take a long time to register a low-grade fever. I bought an electronic in-the-ear thermometer and love it. It's so fast and accurate.

Love, Mikie
  4. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Thanks! I felt under my jaw where the pain is and I don't seem to feel any "lumps". I guess it's not swollen. And you know what, I don't get sick with colds much anymore either. I took my temperature again today - it was almost 99. I kept the thermometer in about 5-6 minutes. Well, I guess it's just fibro-pain. I don't know what's going on. I guess it'll pass. It's always one thing or another. Groan!!!!

Annette2