What's everyone reading?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes46, Apr 28, 2012.

1. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

I've been reading Lonesome Dove (had no idea this was such a good book), and just got Love and Fatigue in America. Have both on my Kindle. Prefer the feel of real books, but too heavy for me at the moment. Hope everyone is doing well this weekend.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2012]
  2. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

Or as Rockgor would say, "smiling out loud."
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

"The Lion," the sequel to "The Lion's Gate." First book was better. I'm also in the middle of the second "Dragon Tattoo" book. I downloaded a book from the library on my Kindle so I have to make sure I get it read in the two weeks allowed. I like the feel of a real newspaper in the morning but love books on my Kindle.

Love, Mikie
  4. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I am currently half way through Love and Exhaustion in America. Very easy reading. And it is interesting as it is a man's experience with ME/CFS. I hope many men with the disease will read it.

After this book I will read John Grisham's The Litigators, which has been sitting here for a while.

I too have begun to prefer my e-reader and even the kindle on my laptop.
    I've read The Lion and most all of Nelson DeMille's books. I love Ken Follet too.

If anyone has not read The Help yet, that is a really good book.

Michele K
  5. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

Ken, I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Right now I'm reading gothic romances--Kate Morton right now.

Next on my list is a book my step-mother recommended: a biography of Catherine the Great of Russia. Will get back into reading my historical books.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That said, however, I well know the tired brain which cannot comprehend what is being read. Sometimes the fatigue goes beyond the brain and I just drop off after reading only a little. It can take me forever to get through a book when I'm in that state of mind.

Evidently a new book series, written by a woman, is taking the reading world by storm. It's about S&M sex! It's called "Fifty Shades of Gray," just in case y'all want to read it :)

Love, Mikie
  7. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I made a mistake on the title of the book I am reading. It's actually called Love & Fatigue in America. I put the word exhausted in place of fatigue. I guess that's because with ME/CFS that's how I feel. It's certainly NOT just fatigue! lol

I go through spurts of reading. Before being ill I use to devour a couple books a week. Now I have times where I can read and really get into it, times where I get half way through a book (even a good one) and begin reading another which half way through I stop and begin another (crazy). I also have times where I just cannot concentrate. I have found that since I am on the computer so much I actually read easier on the computer. I don't know if the brain got use to this form of reading or what, but I do read a lot on the computer Kindle.

How do you get books downloaded at your library to your Kindle? I have a Literati reader from Sharper Image. I wonder if I can get books from the library. If they downloaded them online to my e-reader that would be even better!

Wishing you all a good day!
  8. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

I'm definitely in that state where it's difficult to read for long. Just too hard to concentrate, especially in the evening.

I have heard of the "shades of grey" series. Sounds spicy!

Not sure how to download library books to the kindle. Bet the librarians would know.

That's okay, Michele, a totally understandable mistake.

9. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Thanks Ken. The CFIDS Association of America has a webinar coming up where the author of the book, Love and Fatigue in America will be sitting down with another ME/CFS patient who is a dear friend of mine and discussing the experience of living with the disease. I'm looking forward to it. I need to look up the date and information. If anyone is interested in the webinar I could post the information.
    Hope your day is good. It's lovely here in Michigan today but we've got tree trimmers all around our property and boy their machinery is loud! I will be glad when they are done with the job. (And I hope I have some trees left! lol)

10. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

I would love to know when that webinar is. Also, my family is from grand rapids originally. I have many fond memories of going to Michigan as a kid.