What's Everyone Watching On TV?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Schedules have been crazy with new shows reruns, Sweet Sixteen, etc. It's hard to keep up. I've been a "Survivor" fan since the beginning and still am. Can't wait for "Game of Thrones" on HBO to contine. Was disappointed with the new "Mad Men" series season opener. There's been a definite change in direction, and I think, directing. Seems as though it's lost some of it's old feeling.

Can't decide whether I like "Touch" yet. Love "Missing" with Ashley Judd. It's as exciting as the old "24." I gave up my DVR to save a few bucks so I watch shows I miss on On Demand. "Army Wives" is back but haven't seen anything about "Drop Dead Diva." HBO has a new show, "Veep," which looks promising. I can't wait for "Downton Abbey" to return.

I hate to admit it, but books and TV are my life. On the other hand, it's not a bad life.

Love, Mikie
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I have caught some reruns of "Home Improvement" with Tim Allen and found myself laughing out loud.

Shelby the cat was stretched out on top of me and unimpressed that she was going up and down on my stomach when I was laughing--it ruins her nap time. I got the full "stink face" from her.

3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I've been watching Survivor also since the first season too. I love watching the social interactions of the different people they put on the show. I can't believe how Colton, the spoiled college student, was running the show this season until he got sick. I also love "The Voice", "Shark Tank", "Amazing Race" and "Who Do You Think You Are".

What books are you enjoying? I've been getting into "social" history books. It's interesting to me to see how people live(d) in other countries and periods of time---what they ate, how they made a living, what were their struggles, what they did to entertain themselves, how they were educated (or not), etc. It also makes me feel blessed about how easy we have things today in comparison.

Love, Erika
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Into the reality shows. I like "Project Runway" too but haven't been watching it lately. Did catch the one where Mondo won the big prize. He is talented but so were the other two. I always get a kick out of Michael Cors (sp?) when he trashes the contestants' clothing. I've seen some pretty ugly clothes with his label on them. On the other hand, I've seen some of his clothing I like. I usually don't buy designer labels unless they come from an outlet or discount store.

Yes, Colton was the perfect guy you love to hate. It's always sad when someone gets injured or sick on the show. I also like the psychological gamesmanship which goes on in the jungle camps.

I got a deal on HBO and now, it's about an even swap, getting rid of the DVR box and getting HBO. They do produce some great series. My SIL's uncle produces and directs many of them. He's very talented.

I like the feel of a real newspaper or magazine in my hands but I loooooove reading on the Kindle. I still read books too but the ones I like are often heavy. The Kindle is so lightweight and I can enlarge the print. Our library has a Cloud where you can download books for the e-readers for two weeks. I haven't done it yet because i have a lot of books and e-books to get through. I've been about half-way through Geo. W. Bush's book. I'm not a big fan but there was a lot of history which happened during his presidency and it's interesting to get his take on events. It's not a big page turner so getting through is sluggish.

I also like books with historical events, fiction and fact. I find fiction set during a historical era the best. Right now, I'm reading the second book in the "Dragon Tattoo" series. I'm so sad the author died before completely finishing the fourth book. He had planned ten in the series. I had read "Lions Gate" and have been wanting to reread it so I can read "The Lion," by DeMille. He is an excellent author if ones likes intrigue and action.

I've read the whole "Outlander' series except the last one. Somehow, I haven't been able to get into it. One problem I have is that when I read, I fall asleep. It's hard to get much read when asleep :)

Now that my injections are working better, I have more energy and hope my reading can pick up. Remember Summer reading. Kids were expected to read over the Summer. When I was a stay-at-home Mom, I did Spring cleaning and basically took the Summer off to be with the kids and relax with good books. If I get to where I can go out in the sun again, I'll read at the pool. It would be nice not to be so pasty that I glow in the dark :)

I like the idea of "OWNING" enjoying TV and books. Heck, there are worse things one can do. Isn't that a song from "Grease?" I used to love going to the symphony and the traveling Broadway shows. We get everything here but now, I can't afford the tickets. "Wicked" is here. Maybe next year. This year, the peptide injections are taking my money.

Happy TV and reading to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you like to read, you may like getting large print books or a Kindle. I find that the large print doesn't strain the eyes and brain like small print does. When the brain doesn't have to work so hard to read, it's easier to keep up with whatever I'm reading.

Love, Mikie
  6. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

They are my life right now, too. Mad Men, Grimm, Downton Abbey, Friends and Frazier, House, and whatever looks interesting on Netflix. Oh, celebrity apprentice, Today Show, Dr. Drew's life-changers, lots of golf. More on books later.
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Since moving back to the states last year, I still haven't found all of my old favorite tv shows with so many channels to choose from.

I do find that I have a problem with many shows now that plastic surgery is used so often. I have a hard time watching old favorite people start to get that pulled tight look. I wonder what they see in the mirror?

I like the Disc Fit & Health channel, Disc ID and HGTV too...I love the Ellen Show, she's adorable and so kind. It's like an hour of smiling once a day...

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For anyone who likes "Family Feud," that will sound familiar.

Kholmes, it sounds as though we like the same things. TV is my life and I'm not ashamed of it. I was an only child of a single working Mom. I'm soooo glad I had TV to keep me occupied part of the time. I not only watched "Howdy Doody," "Sky King," and "The Lone Ranger," but I watched "The Today Show" every morning in the summer. I knew more about world affairs than any kid I knew. I have got to get it in gear and get my Wii hooked up to my wi-fi and get Netflix (as soon as my wi-fi is working again--long story).

Julie, that's so sweet--rocking your GD to sleep. My TV is always on. If there is nothing else on regular TV or On Demand, I have a news channel or a shopping channel on. Shopping channels can be dangerous for the budget, though. My cable includes digital music channels and they are great. Babies love the Soundscape music channel for going to sleep. I love it for meditating.

Nancy, I agree about the plastic surgery. Some of them start it too soon and have it done too often. Barbara Eden was on TV and she looks good but she looks like she's had one procedure too many. One eye looks "off." I don't know whether I'd rather see them as they are naturally with wrinkles and all or nipped and tucked to the max. Perhaps a happy medium would be best. I had a little work done about 8 yrs. ago because my illnesses had really taken their toll on my face. I looked old and tired. That can kill a sales career. I mistakenly believed that I would get well enough to go back to my old high-stress job with just a little rejuvination. Hah! Little did I know. I'm not sorry I had it done. It was successful beyond my wildest dreams in that it got rid of the tired look and retarded my facial aging, even now.

This is a fascinating thread. Thank you all for chiming in. I love knowing what everyone is reading and watching on the tube.

Love, Mikie

9. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I am a big fan of "Dancking with the Stars", "the Middle," "Subgaroty or however your pronounce it", and "Modern Family"

I have discovered "Who Do You Think You are" ion Fri. and "Looking for Roots" on Sunday. Very interesting. Would love to find my roots!!!! Fascinating. I also like CNN and HLN.

I read magazines and try to read books. My eyes by night just don'tr stay open~~~~~~droopy eyelids. And I have always loved books and read lots and lots. Love to have my DIL's Kindle. She reads lots of free books.

So long,

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

"Survivor" is about the only reality show I enjoy. I have watched Heidi Klum's "Runway" show and it can be kinda fun.

I also get tired when I read and it can take me forever to get through a book. I have one now from the library but I'm almost finished with it. Can't wait to download an e-book from the library's Cloud. You only have two weeks to read the e-books but you can extend them once.

For most of us, reading and TV are so important to distract us from our pain and exhaustion. Many of us are nature lovers and spend a lot of time just taking in the beauty of the plants and animals around or homes.

My downstairs neighbor reads jokes to me. We need to laugh.

Ooh, ooh, I almost forgot the new TV show, "Missing" with Ashely Judd. It's the new female version of "24."

Love, Mikie
  11. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I am absolutely addicted to Mad Men. Never, ever miss an episode!! I also really like Blue Bloods and The Good Wife. Try not to miss those!! My daughter makes me watch Desperate Housewives every week, but we tivo it and watch it on Mondays when she arrives home from school.

I also really enjoy watching old repeats of Law and Order, especially the ones with Jerry Orbach or Dennis Farina. And I like to watch old repeats of Everybody Loves Raymond, The King of Queens and, of course, my favorite of favorite shows, which I know every episode back and forth...Seinfeld!!!! Not that there's anything wrong with that lol!!!!

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I love "Mad Men" too. Also "The Good Wife." I'm so glad they keep rerunning all those shows. There's one channel which reruns really old shows in B&W. I have Net Flix now so can watch episodes of my favorite series. I catch shows I miss on On Demand, esecially the Sun. night shows. Too many on at the same time. The best series I've seen this year have been "Downton Abbey" and "Game of Thrones."

Love, Mikie
  13. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I love The Good Wife, Mad Men (though I like to watch a season at one sitting so am waiting for this season to be over) Revenge is good and I too like Blue Bloods and Person's of Interest.

I agree about Downton Abbey. I liked the first season best but with the second taking place during the war, it didn't make it a pleasant subject as the first season was. Really showed how the world forever changed at that time.

I will have to look up Game of Thrones. I haven't heard of it. Really there are so many good shows on these days you cannot keep up with all of them. It's so different than in many years past where one network had a good show and the others raced to copy it, presenting their own version, leaving viewers left with little interest.

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

"Game of Thrones" is an HBO series. I think HBO does series better than anyone with the exception of PBS. I watched only one show of the new "Veep" series on HBO. I think they mistake foul language for good writing. I'm not easily offended but there has to be more to a show than dirty language at the level of a 14 year old boy.

I don't mind some action, violence, foul language and nudity but there had better be more than that to keep my attention. Some of the best shows have had none of that but were exceptionally written and casted.

Love, Mikie
  15. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I'm not into foul language at all but it seems to be cropping up everywhere. I've been a non swearer for so long but now you hear them swearing all the time and the words end up coming up in my head. I hate that.

With books too it's getting harder to find authors that think swearing is a way to fill pages. There are some authors that are so good I overlook the swearing, but I don't want a steady diet of the stuff. Oh well, that's the way it is these days.

I just caught up on ABC's Revenge on Hulu.com. They don't know if they are going to be renewed or not yet. I hate when I get into a show and then they just end it. I hope that doesn' happen. If you haven't watched the show you can watch the whole season on Hulu. It's very, very good!

16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm an avid fan of "Revenge" too. I hope they don't get cancelled. In the old days, some of the most successful shows were allowed to develop despite poor ratings in the beginning. I blame the networks for pitting their best shows against one another. I also blame them for such miopic outlooks when it comes to short-term profits. Oh well, that seems to be the way of the world now too.

I just bought a media player gizmo which allows my TV to pick up NetFlix, You Tube, Vudu (sp?) and Hulu on a dedicated HDMI output. It works through my wi-fi. We have a problem with interrupted cable service and slow downs. The tech who came out told me that he would order them to monitor the outside lines for a week as everyone on cable is having the same problem. I called after the week was up and was told there was no info on monitoring and that if I had a tech come out again, and the problem didn't happen while he was there, I would be charged for a "wasted call." I can't belielve this poor service. The guy I talked to was basically uninterested in the problem and said his hands were tied. His supervisor was to call me and never did. I need to call back but not today. I had my peptide injection and when I get them, I rest all day and do not get involved in anything, especially anything which causes me stress.

They keep raising their rates and the service decreases despite what they say in their commercials. Again, the way of this greedy world today. OK, getting off my soapbox now.

Love, Mikie