Whats everyones opinion on Dr Phil show today?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I'm sure the first segment will help alot of you. What a jerk that guy was. I guess I'm very lucky that my husband is supportive and tells me that I'm not able to work again and we'll get thru this somehow. I think alot has to do with is he has an artificial leg and he knows what pain feels like and he has been down my road before. The second segment..all I did was cry thru it. Whats your thoughts?
  2. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I was stuck watching Sesame Street with my 2 yr. old today, and wasn't able to watch it. Can anyone give me an idea of how it was?
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

the part at the beginning of being a real dx and not just myalasia (sp). Well that was to us a rub! But, other wise at least it was a start. As long as it helps others to understanding who don't get it at all.

We thought it was a good show over all, Kim and Gary

PS
    Okay, now he is talking back stage with Terry and saying the sick one must push go a block tomorrow and 2 the next and have objectives wll this part we believe hurts because that hubby now thinks that this PROFESIONAL PHIL is so great because he told her to get up and do more. We give that marrage about a max of 6 months. What a jerk! We do do all we can and push every day. We do more because we have to and want to do for our kids and selves. The problem is somedays you just can't and that's okay.

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2003]
  4. kimo

kimo New Member

Unless her husband suffers with this he will never understand. I know he is suffereing in a different way, a terrible way, but let him have the pain she is in and let's see if he is out there jogging and let's see how "lazy" he
    is? I know it must be awful for him but give me a break. If my husband told me I was lazy or wanted me to get a full time job I would put a frying pan upside his head so fast that the pain he would be feeling would be a wake up call to waht I live with everyday.
    Also, wasn't very happy with Dr. Phil saying to not let it consume you. HOW THE %$@@#$#$# DO YOU DO THAT????????
    Pain is all consumming!!!!
    Anyway, someone give me his e-mail address and I will e-mail some comments, thanks !!!!!KIM
  5. kgg

kgg New Member

Communication is key to any healthy relationship. But the show left me dissatisified. I was glad that it wasn't featuring CFIDS/FMS. I felt like this woman's fatigue and pain were not validated. Yes, we need to push, but oh for that fine line balance of not hurting ourselves in the process.
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

basically, I felt Dr. Phil should have brought up the promises he made when he married Terri. Are the vows he took meaningless?
    I did not feel this show had much to do with us, since we have what Dr. Phil would call a "medically unverifiable condition", and I feel he would have been a lot more on the husband's side in that case...he all but said so.
    Klutzo
  7. allhart

allhart New Member

i agree with my 9 year old who said ,sometimes dr phil is just a idiot,
  8. andi

andi New Member

Since I've been working less and less I've become a Dr. Phil fan; I didn't start out that way. I was teasing the girls at work today that every segment he has I identify with; I have found out that I'm a self centered egotistical passive aggressive obsessive compulsive basket case! I'm teasing but I do learn a lot. I giggled to myself when I saw the topic today because it's one I definitely deal with; nothing hidden there to be brought out. I have a friend with fibro who has a husband like the first...I learned to better appreciate my supportive husband and friend. It may not be a popular idea but I do identify with what Dr. Phil said about being a person learning to manage the disease and not becoming consumed by the disease. I hit bottom a few weeks ago because my problems and sickness have become my identity now and I don't want it to be that way. I love to laugh, love music and books and traveling; I'm more than pain and frustration and fear. I came up swinging! I can be more than a disease and a report of my last doctor visit! I want my life back!
    I cried through the second segment like everyone else. I am going through being diagnosed with MS and recognized my mom in that one; she is in denial and the mom on TV made me appreciate her view and fear more. I'm her baby and she doesn't want to face it maybe she can't right now.

Sorry to carry on but it struck a nerve with me.
    andi
  9. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Susan M Daniels, Ph.D.
    Deputy Commissioner for Disability & Income Security Programs

She states in answer to a memo from an ALJ refuting FMS & CFS as medically determinable impairments:

"...the training did state clearly and unequivocally that individuals alleging CFS [in case cited] can be found to have a medically determinable impairment under the disability program given the presence of certain specified signs and findings."

She goes on to say:

"Establishing the existence of a medically determinable impairment does not necessarily require that the claimant or the medical evidence establish a specific diagnosis."

If the SSA can grant disability based on no specific diagnosis, surely Dr. Phil can see comparitively that saying it is not medically verifiable does not mean it does not exist.

Lane
  10. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

but did read about it on Dr. Phil's site.
    I agree with the fact that a person should not be blamed for illness and that we should not identify ourselves as a disease but I will say the two things I always say.

(1)Unless you have lived this, you cannot understand but you can be understanding.
    (2) Thank God I don't have a husband and get to come home to a house of peace !
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2003]
  11. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

Ac...Dr Phil is a very well hyped psychologist or psychiatrist. I watched one of his programs and like someone else said..I found him to be pompous prick.

Many times he degrades a person on television because they are not using the methods he thinks are appropriate to get well. The episode I watched was a woman who couldn't stop shoplifting.

I guess he is worth a shot to watch one time My parents cant get enough of him. I cant get far enough away from him.
  12. Laura62

Laura62 New Member

All these TV shows are made for one purpose only...to make money...

Ratings, ratings and more ratings are all that these hosts really care about...

Read my post on re: talk shows as a venue, a real life story...it's about Montel and someone who was on his show...

Dr. Phil is about hard-line, tell it like it is, therapy...That's what sells his show for him...

So, did you really expect compassion????

I think not!!!

Just my opinion..

Laura
  13. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Many times he has very good advice for people , a lot of common sense.
    But sometimes he is abrasive if he does not understand where someone is coming from. My guess is he does not understand living in pain.

I work so can't watch but have seen him when I worked different hours.
  14. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Doctor Phil is a psychologist who is about as much of a Behaviorist as it's possible to be. This is anathema to those who prefer the touchy-feely type of therapy.
    Since I did my training in Behaviorism, I sympathize with his approach, but I find him to be too extreme. Sometimes you really do need to know WHY someone is the way they are before you can treat them properly.
    His show gives the impression that a few minutes can change a long-standing problem.
    If wishes were horses.....
    Klutzo
  15. skychomper

skychomper Member

hey I caught the show...I felt so bad for that woman with that horrendous husband. he is just dragging her down, and not bringing any encouragement into her life. I just wanted to say "terry, I understand! I understand what its like to push yourself and how its not possible all the time, but that people still demand it from you. I agree we should do our best, and in not giving up on yourself, but you cannot bully someone into feeling better or doing more. plus I have cfs, and I don't experience the incredible pain of fibro or spinal problems. pain is a whole different animal...
    but at least phil wasn't totally abrasive about the situation
    skychomps
  16. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Here is Mayo's definition:

Syringomyelia is a slowly progressive disorder in which a fluid-filled sac (cyst) forms in the spinal cord. This cyst, called a syrinx, grows over time, damaging the spinal cord. It may be due to the widening (dilation) of the central spinal canal (hydromyelia). Causes of syringomyelia include:

Abnormalities at the site where the lower part of the brain (medulla) joins the upper part of the spinal canal (cervical spine), such as Arnold-Chiari syndrome
    Spinal cord tumor
    Spinal cord injury
    Inflammation around the spinal cord such as after meningitis or spinal surgery
    Signs and symptoms may include:

Decreased sense of pain and temperature in the arms, hands, shoulders and upper trunk
    Weakness and wasting of the upper arm muscles
    Weakness of the legs
    Walking difficulty
    Pain in the neck and arms
    In some cases, syringomyelia causes no signs and symptoms. A doctor may confirm a diagnosis by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the spine.

Treatment of syringomyelia depends on the underlying cause and may include surgery. If the cyst is small and causes no signs or symptoms, a doctor may recommend observation with no treatment.

If you ask me, it's nothing compared to FM/CMP!! She said she had surgery for it so it's possible she has FM too even though she didn't say that so I'm with you all -- her husband doesn't get it!

I taped the show if anyone wants to see it - e-mail me at mcmomma2002@yahoo.com.

Blessings,
    Shaky
  17. Antenbunny

Antenbunny New Member

I realize that all to often I get so rapped up in my illness that I become narcissistic. I forget to ask my partner how her day went. I forget to listen to her difficulties, I forget to laugh. This illness is so hard to deal with, but I don't want it to engulf me. I am not this illness, it is an aspect of who I am. Each day is different, some are harder then others, but let's not forget that everyone has a cross to bare. This is ours.
  18. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

Yeah...the husband was a total jerk but Phil was (ironically) was NOT listening to the wife. He wanted her to give 100%, 100% of the time. Get real!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody does that.

He never got the fact that the husband was pompous in the sense that he probably said (like many of us have heard): he could handle having the disease better, he would communicate better with the doctor, he would be able to manage "his" illness better.)

In addition she was saying to Dr. Phil, what I need is someone to give me a hand up when I am having a bad day (just like anyone would like to have from their partner). He sounds like he has a bootprint on her forehead. Dr. Phil never got that. Just kept telling her to give "all that she could". Well, guess what? Even the best of feel like giving less than 100% some of the time.

She meant that if she did the dishes one day, then her husband would expect it from her every day. Or if she did any chore like vacuum or dust or clean the tub or whatever. The more she did, the more he would expect instead of understanding that she had good days, weeks, months etc., and bad ones on the other hand. She was "scared" to do a task for fear he would accuse her of being lazing the next time she could not do it.

Phil just did not get it.

I think it is like having babies. You think you know what it is like until you have one and then you REALLY get it. I think one might have to live with a chronically ill personal for a long time to get it and I don't think Dr. Phil gets it.

Just my opinion of the husband and wife at the beginning.

Lynda B.