whats for dinner? mama's famous tuna melts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bigmama2, May 26, 2010.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

ok they're not famous, but they are quick easy and delish.

bake bread or pita (until lightly toasted)
    mix tuna, onion, gr pepper, celery, mayo (and hot spices if desired)
    put mix on bread and bake a lil more
    (optional- add fresh tomato on top)
    top w cheese (cheddar slice) bake more

EAT! SMILE. :)

anybody else really into tuna melts?

2. victoria

victoria New Member

yes, but only occasionally as I have sensitivities to yeast/molds, ie, bread & cheese :( and careful of the tuna due to mercury (had high levels) in particular.

2 other things I love but haven't had in a VERY long time:

frankcheesie (big hotdog split, filled with cheese & wrapped in bacon, grilled on a bun)
    Patty Melt (burger with grilled onions/cheese on toasted rye bread)

I used to live on cheese & bread (& wine) thru my 20s in one form or another.... sigh....
  3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Ive never had a tuna melt. But they sure sound good! I also love patty melts. My favorite is the reuben sandwich...heaps of shaved good quality corned beef with swiss cheese and sauerkraut on rye bread. I make them on my griddle. Use just a wee bit of thousand island dressing. I guess you could make the tuna melts on the griddle? Too hot to turn the oven on. My electric griddle has become my new best friend. Now im hungry!
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

sound delish, Bigmama. I never heard of a tuna melt till I moved to California.
    I was also shocked to find out hamburgers came w/ salad dressing on them.

A coworker back in MN who had lived in CA said, "Oh, you'll love it. You can get
    avocados for a dime (this was back in the 60s) and the margaritas are fabulous.
    Had never heard of either one of those things either. But I learned to love them.

5. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Rock...what the heck goes on in mn? No salad dressing? Ok to me salad dressing is that miracle whip stuff which i abhore but we put mayo on hamburgers and being the good little southern girl that i am its hellmanns brand. If you tell me y'all put ketchup on your MN burgers im going to have to get to my faintin couch quick! Ketchup is for the fries!
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

lately. For years I only ate tuna fish with Miracle Whip, but I ran out of it and tried it with just a little mayo and a tablespoon or so of plain yogurt and about a tablesppon of pickle relish. I also add celery to it.

Sometimes I leave out the pickle relish and add some Itallian seasoning herbs and little pinch of dill weed.

This week I was out of bread so I used romaine lettuce leaves as a wrap--very tasty.

I haven't had a tuna melt in awhile--maybe I will make one this weekend.
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Minnesotans use salad dressing. They put it on salad.

Minnesota is where all the gourmets go when they want to sample hot dish or
    bars. In Minnesota a complete and balanced meal is: hot dish, bars and coffee.
    At the Minnesota State Fair you can buy tater tot hot dish on a stick. Comes w/
    mushroom soup dipping sauce.

And then at Christmas time, all the good cooks make lefse and Norwegian cookies.
    Or maybe they don't anymore. But they used to.

When we would go Christmas Caroling over half a century ago, every house
    you stopped at, you would be invited in for cocoa and cookies. Here in Los Angeles
    you would probably be greeted by an attack dog or gunfire.

Well, every place has its charm.

Do you really have a fainting couch? I've never seen one in person; only in the movies.
    Usually movies set in the Victorian period.

Wonder if Victoria has one.

8. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Any place that would invite me in for cocoa and cookies is a-ok by me. Ive always thought of MN as probly one of the coldest places in north america. And my fainting couch is just my plain ole microfibre sofa. Victoria kept giving me such news as to make me faint. My oldest DD lived in san luis obispo and went to LA a few times. Did the tourist thing. Was scared to death lol. I have some beautiful pics of her time SLO. S6e big rock by the ocean i forget the name of. Seals. Cali really is beautiful.
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

MMM, that sounds yummy. I may have to do that soon I had to laugh about ketchup on hamburfgers. That is the only way I eat them usually . IN NY where I came from that is the only way they fixed them, yep and ketchup on fries too.

Then I was completely shocked when we moved to Texas years ago and heard of mustard on hambugers. OMG, could'nt try that for very long but finally did. it is OK but still like mostly ketchup. People that were born in TX wouldn't have a Hamburger without mustard on it. I will eat it occasionally if I can put it on myself, just a touch.

I think someone mentioned Thousand Island dressing on hamburgers. Never really heard of that till I had a Big Mac. I think that is the sauce they put on it, similar anyway. That kind of sauce is what my mom used to make all the time, mayo and ketchup with maybe a little pickle relish. We used to have that dressing all the time and we called it Russian dressing.

It is funny how different places like certain things on and with their foods . it is really interesting and I have tried lots of stuff moving from NY to LA to TX - VERY interesting.

Going to see out daughter living in NC next week. Last time we were there we went to see her we went out for NC BBQ and that is way different that TX BBQ . The sauce or whatever you call it is very vinegary and very different. I'll stick to TX BBQ , I think.

I have a GF Grill which I think I can make my tuna melts on but just will have to put everything on the bread right away and then the cheese and onto the grill till it melts.

Sound good BM2 !! Thanks. I love tuna sandwichs but do not have it that often.l My kids used to eat it alot when they were small except DS who ate almost every day PB and J !! I haven't made it that often because I am usually ready to make something really quick and I don't feel like fooling with making it. Yep I am lzy with cooking for lunch especially but it does sound good.

Gee, why am I so hungary now talking about food ???

Bye fer now ! Hope you all have a very nice holiday weekend !