What's getting drunk do to you when you're having a worst day . . .

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jjoys, Mar 11, 2003.

1. jjoys

jjoys New Member

with CFS. I'm really having a tough day and night, CAn's sleep. I'm not a drinker or a smoker, but I just feel like it would release some of my tension if I could go out and have a few drinks and a cigarette or 2. I'm so tired of putting up with this. It's driving me nuts lying in bed. My 3 year old is a monster and I don't have the energy or where-with-all to take on his particular challenge. That's really discouraging. I just want to go sit at a bar, have something warm andsoothing, and spill my guts to whoever cares to listen. What do you think?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/11/2003]
  2. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

lol, I wish I could!!! Its been a bad one here too!!! I hope you feel better.

Hugs,
    Jeanna
  3. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Know what you mean, I wake up, thats if I sleep feeling like I had been to the biggest party of the century just never have the fun to show for it. Sure would be nice to go out and then atleast in the a.m. I would have been able to say what a great time I had. Instead I`m up reading this message board trying to figure out what might work for me. Not to feel like doo doo tomorrow and no party. Maybe some day.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Where would you go?? I will meet you there! I used to love to go to a lounge with a great band, and dance untill my stockings were dirty and full of snags.
    I loved my 'foot on the rail'. I drank anything I wanted, but I have one problem with liquor, I could drink the bar dry and never get a buzz on. Something wrong with my system, or is it my brain??

I am originally from New Orleans, and the great jazz bands were just wonderful. Oh well, you did bring back some great memories for me at 12 midnight in Louisiana!!

I went to a wedding a few weeks ago, what did I drink?? would you believe Shirley Temple's? At least they taste good!

Hope your three year old gets his act together, that is enough to make anyone want a drink!

At least you can 'spill your guts' around here.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

My husband and I used to like to go
    out and have a couple and dance, he
    won't dance unless he's HAD a couple.
    LOL! Also the times we'd have a few
    friends over, have a few beers and
    play "Spades" all night! We'd laugh
    our fool heads off and had great times. Now all I have to do is smell
    alcohol and it makes me urpy. Toward
    the end of those days I'd feel so much less pain for that time, but once it wore off the pain would be
    double the next day. I'd settle for
    the friends and card games now, but
    everyone has passed on or moved away..so I really miss the associations and good old days! Hugs,
    Bambi
  6. pamela

pamela New Member

you can drink at all. Since I became sick I can't even tolerate a little of anything. I use to drink alot but for the last 3 years its been a joke for partying. If you can tolerate some sugar or mold/yeast then go for it. Just be careful and have fun!!!!!!!!! Drink one vodka shot for me!!! Okay maybe 2 shots... and don't drive home!!! Take a cab or get a ride from a friend..... Hugs Pammy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2003]
  7. FMSurvivor

FMSurvivor New Member

Dear JJoys,

First let me express how sorry I am that you are having such a hard time with your condition.

I can only imagine how hard it must be to take care of a three year old. Is it possible your three year old is feeling your pain subconciously.... Kids do that, they don't know how to communicate their feelings so they act out.

As for the drinking and smoking... If only it were therapeutically great but it isn't... This will make you much worse not to mention potentially addictive...

Don't you think you have enough on your plate right now...

Try walking, light exercise. May make you feel worst at first but eventually it will make you better... Take your kid out for some fresh air everyday in his stroller... Gives you the needed exercise and will make your kid go to sleep and relax.

Try to keep your spirits up too.. Depression is our worst enemy and it sounds like you are battling with that too.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful... But honestly... Don't do alcohol and cigarettes... It can only lead to bigger troubles for you and your family... Not to mention worsen your already inflammed symptoms.

Take great care

FM Survivor
  8. phenom

phenom New Member

i can see FM Survivor's point - your body doesn't need more toxins and harmful stuff - you've got enough as it is. but then again, i like the odd drink and ciggy, - and thats just what it is - odd, only occasionally.

i don't go out partying anymore - instead i have friends over, we normally sit out the front porch and have a few drinks, smokes and laughs. they know my strengths and weaknesses, and know that when they're asked over that if they only nibblies - i can't cook up a BBQ or anything. so we just sit and have a great time.

but i wouldn't drink more than once a week, personally.

phenom
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do have a beer only occasionally or, more often, a glass of red wine. It relaxes me and I believe it helps keep the old blood thinned out. It's against my diet, but I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

I hope you are feeling better. Is it possible that if you got involved with your child in a game or reading to him, both of you might feel better? It's probably the last thing you feel like doing, but you're getting no relief now. Better yet, can you take him to a sitter or family member for a little respite? Is there a playground where you can sit outside for a bit while he plays with other children?

I used to serve lunch on a blanket on the floor in the livingroom on cold days. The kids and I would pretend we were outside on a picnic. Children love to pretend and they would take over, pretending there were cows in a field next to us or a little stream where they would imagine wading in the cool water and watching it splash on the rocks. Today, they are in their 30's, but they still talk about our wonderful pretend picnics. When the weather was nice, we would actually go outside and eat at a park. We would have a treasure hunt to see what kind of little natural treasures we could find. We found rocks, leaves, acorns, walnuts, etc. We would take them home and make art with them. My kids also loved it when I would color with them. It gave me the chance to go back to childhood myself. I loved playing in the sandbox with them.

I doubt when you are sick that any of this appeals to you, but maybe once you are up and distracted from your fatigue and pain, it will be fun, or at least a diversion for you and your son.

Love, Mikie
  10. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I cannot even tolerate the smell anymore of anything with alcohol, a sip of wine or anything just tastes so disgusting to me these days, no big loss there but I cannot even just enjoy the occasional glass of wine anymore.

I used to love wine in my prior life but that is a thing of the past now. I take a lot of meds also so it is not worth the misery I would go thru to drink.

Jaci
  11. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

You asked our opinion, so here's mine:

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. I have a three year old and a one year old and the energy it takes just to feed them, bath them, and keep them safe is overwhelming and VERY hard!!!!! I have never done anything harder in my life!!!! About the drinking, I have done the bar thing (drinking, smoking, etc) and know from experiece, that that is NOT the answer. Besides the obvious, that there it is harmful to your health, it could also have negative effects on the kids (depends on how you handle it). I personally find much more benefit, just GETTING AWAY!!!! I take a walk, go shopping, take a warm bubble bath, or anything to destress. Also, going to church and hearing the good news of my God, keeps me going and encouraged. Hope you are having a better day today. Have a blessed day!!!!
  12. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

Boy, I remember those days, couldused to drink you under the table. It's been 5 years now, cant even sstand to smell the stuff. It literally afffects me so badly, i gave it up. But if you can tolerate it, GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!! Reg
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2003]
  13. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

Thanksgiving went to my moms. It was an all day event. After we all stuffed our face till we were in a food coma we decided to start with the drinking. This was the first time I had a drink in over a year. I was drinking jack straight well before I knew it I had downed 14 shots of jack and 3 shots of capt morgan(with in a 5 hour period). I was not even buzzed. Everyone else was to the passing out point and I was still ready to party lol. My mother has a problem with drinking and always has. She is alot better now than she use to be but she still has to have a beer or two everyday. I was always scared that i would follow in that pattern but I didn't and now that no matter how much I drink I can't get drunk so whats the point lol.( and i am thankful for it)

hugs all,
    Jeanna