What's going on w/my Immune system????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz9601, Feb 12, 2006.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I did not have a cold/flu or anything that "normal" people catch for about 3 years, now in the past 8 weeks I have had 2 colds and the stomach flu. I don't understand what has switched in my immune system. I thought it was a good thing at first since I heard it is not healthy to not be able to get a cold, but I seem to be at the oppostite end of where I was.

The only thing different is ambien. I started it right before my first cold. I sleep maybe a couple of hours more than I used to. I have very bad insomnia and still only average a few hours a night.

Before ambien it was more like 1 and the rest were interrupted every 30 min with an awakening...

Any ideas on what is happening? Is it good? Bad?? Seems strange to go from NEVER getting anything to having something over and over again...

I should say also when I had the stomach flu I got a fever of 102...havne't had that in many many years. Didn't think my body was capable of producing a fever..

To have a cold, doesn't that mean that my immune system is TH1 dominant??

Thanks for any help,
    Suz
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2006]
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm am just recovering from a viral infection that is doing the rounds in the UK. I NEVER get fevers, ever, yet I had a few nights with them, very high temp then freezing cold.

My last viral infection was last March when I got Mumps, I dont usually succumb to the 'normal' round of flus either so I was surprised to get this. I'm just wondering if it's a particularly virulent strain.

Not much help I'm afraid. Hope it leaves you soon.

love
    Rosie
  3. suz9601

suz9601 Member

It is crazy to go from one extreme to another. the whole TH1/TH2 thing is very confusing for my brain. Maybe there is no making sense of it? All I know is I have felt like hell for hte past 10 weeks or so, even in between colds/flu I am so tired and feel awful. Thanks guys.
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

It took a strong dose for it to work on me but ithas worked for a lot of us.Ambien never gave me stage 4 sleep.If your sleep is so poor,your immune system is probably down.Linda
  5. mollie55

mollie55 New Member

Trazadone has helped me with my sleep. I started off with 50mg, now I am up to 150 mg. I was told that it is not addictive, but I am not sure. It seems that it is taking more, and more to get me to sleep

Carolyn
  6. suz9601

suz9601 Member

How do you know you never got stage 4 w/Ambien? Just curious. I do dream on it. I'm not sure how to tell if I am getting stage 4 or not w/o a sleep study. Thanks

Whats strange is I am getting more sleep now than I did when I didnt get sick. Before I was awake every 30 min all night long..[This Message was Edited on 02/12/2006]
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I asked my doctor at Vanderbilt what and she said it was only used temporarily because it's a hypnotic and you don't remember waking up at night,but you still do.Also,I was dreaming as I woke up.I Think dreaming is stage 2 or 3 sleep..

When I take trazadone it's solid sleep,no waking up for 6 hours and I feel rested.I still use Ambien when the breakthrough pain becomes a nightly thing.Then,I just need a break from waking up all night.If anybody disagrees with all this that's O.K. This is what I've learned of these drugs.Hope you find what is right for you.Linda