What's helping me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by horsegal, May 7, 2003.

1. horsegal

horsegal New Member

I put most of this in a reply to the hormone article, but I want people to see this...maybe it will also help them. I too have been through docs. Most are not that understanding and most are consumed with not giving any pain meds. The DEA has them scared. A few celebs claiming addiction to vicodone has hurt many who truly need meds. Anyway, I'm taking trileptal 600-900mg. per day. I believe it is a "cousin" to neurontin. I noticed a big difference when I started taking FEMhrt, in both my sweats and general fatigue. I take .5 to 1 mg of xanex at night. Docs worry about addiction to pain meds, but this one is worse. My Dr. said I shouldn't do without it because I take such a small amount. Late in 2002 I was without it, and it wasn't pretty!! I also take tylenol 4. I'm still experimenting with the amount. I'm not sure how much is "just enough". So, trileptal, xanex, tylenol 4. It's taken over a year and numerous dr.'s to get this stuff. One other thing I do is tan. I know it has side effects too. I had never tanned before...when I get out, I feel my whole body relax and I feel energized. There is no heat like it! I'm new to this site and I've been reading and observing!
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Good post, I would have never thought of getting in a tanning bed!
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello Horsegal, welcome to our little world here.

I also take 0.25 milligrams of Xanax at night, along with ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) wonderful for deep sleep.

I take Melatonin to help me fall asleep also.

Have been taking the Xanax, the same low dose off and on for 15 years now. Never had to up the dosage. Just have the same effect with this low amount.

I can't take pain meds, am allergic most all medications.

I can take Advil gel caps (as long as I don't take more than two a day), they work great with the Xanax for pain.

I have heard that the tanning beds are wonderful for the pain, but have not tried that yet. Was thinking about renting one to see if it helped. I do know the bad effects of tanning. Good to hear it helps.

Glad you found our board, and will be looking forward to hearing from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. FM_DD

FM_DD New Member

Horsegal,

When I'm having a flare I definitely hit the tanning beds because most of the time it will completely get rid of my muscle spasms in my lower back! It also helps my hip pain (bursitis). I know it has side affects but sometimes relieving the pain overrides everything in our senses. Good Luck![This Message was Edited on 05/08/2003]
  5. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

but since I was DX with Pots...I cant. Heat not good for us. Thats what is depressing, one illness offsets the other on limiting the things I can do. Tannning..cant do. Walking..cant do cause of neuropathy in feet and legs...exercising..very little cause of both. Ghezzz, no wonder i'm depressed.
    Carlacat
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Because of my recent skin care program, surgery, and laser resurfacing, I have not been able to go out into the beautiful Florida sunshine. I use the tan without the sun products when I'm not able to get out. I will always have to wear heavy-duty sports sunscreen on my face, but I think sitting outside and getting sun is healthy.

Love, Mikie
  7. stepmom

stepmom New Member

Try Melatonin and increase your vitamin c.
    I also take Trazodone at night, chamomile tea with honey at night helps also.
    Do you have horses?

Thanks,
    Gena

8. tansy

tansy New Member

at times like now. The weather's warm not hot. I've been pottering in my garden getting the warmth from the sun and I already look as though I've been on holiday.

However, once it gets warmer than this I won't be able to sit in the sun at all.

Every year I'm tanned for May and perhaps June and then it fades just as everyone else is beginning to get theirs.

What an upside down life we have to live.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2003]
  9. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

You haven't filled out your profile. What breed of horse do you have? Do you still ride? What area are you in? The reason for my curiosity is my Appaloosa mare who does not get nearly enough exercize since I have no other riders living close to me. Oh, by the way, welcome!!!
    Kathryn