What's made you better?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by littleleafhopper, Sep 8, 2006.

1. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

Hey guys,

I thought I'd put out a general post asking for others to tell what supplement or treatment has really made a positive difference or turning point difference in their health.

I have achieved a little bit of success with Fish oil from Nordic Naturals. However it has been the DHA formula that has helped me. That seems to be in direct conflict with some of the research, as most seem to do better with the EPA formula. My body seems to often have an opposite reaction to things. Anyway it has had a positive effect on my mood.

Please post and tell the single most positive thing you've done.

Yours, Lil
  2. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Pregnenolone, dhea, progesterone: My blood levels for these hormones were extremely low and I've been using these 3 things since last summer (first tested at the FFC) and they have made a big difference in my mood, calmness, sleep and sense of well being. Last week I was retested and they are all up to optimal!! Also my B12 and testosterone has improved greatly through the bloodwork.

I would also recommend "Green Alive" a green drink. It has everything in it and is very good. I've been on this drink for 3-4 months. 3 tsps. in water. You can check the label ingredients online through a search.

I'm on many more things as I'm dealing with infections, my White Blood Count was low but the above has really helped.

Cindy

[This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]
  3. littleleafhopper

Yea Cindy,

Great information!
  4. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

Using a CPAP machine has helped with the FM/CFS.
  5. littleleafhopper

Thanks Bruinz,

Another great idea!
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...made a great improvement in my FM symptoms, enough so that I was able to go back to work. And then going back to work led to better mental health for me, which seemed to eventually improve my physical health also.

So NAET is first, but getting a job would have to be second, as far as positive things go....

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. Bren2135

Bren2135 New Member

Myofascial and trigger point release was a godsend for me...

I'm interested in reading all your posts about this!

Hugs,
    Brenda
  8. littleleafhopper

Thanks to you all for the posts! It's so helpful knowing whats helped! Keep them coming!
  9. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Finding this message board and reading your advice,stories,
    problems,etc. has helped me so much. I've been visiting the
    board for a couple of weeks now and have learned a bunch.
    Medical things and suggestions and answers that doctors haven't been able to help me with.

But mostly I've felt alot less lonely...less strange...
    less different...less misunderstood...WOW...

Thank you all very much!
  10. Scapper

Scapper New Member

LAUGHTER.......works every time......I take it anywhere I can get it :)
  11. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

1. Hormones. DHEA, pregnenelone, estrogen (Vivelle bioidentical patches--not that Premarin horse pee stuff), progesterone (again natural, under the brand name Prometrium), oxytocin, Florinef (actually a drug, but used to compensate for low levels of aldosterone), testosterone, small amounts of hydrocortisone (5-10 mg) on the mornings of days I know will be stressful, thyroid (compounded T3; T4 preparations do nothing)

2. Klonopin/Xanax (for sleep)

3. ProBoost (for acute infections)

4. Yoga (for muscle stiffness)

5. Yodoxin (for a parasite infection--blastocystis hominis)

6. Ampothericin B (for refractory candida infections of gut and vagina, I think caused by the species candida glabrata rather than candida albicans)

7. Nystatin (for periodic internal candida infections)

8. Diflucan (for a stubborn fungal nasal infection--I took it daily for a couple of months)

9. Reflexology (Chinese foot massage, useful for overall wellness....unfortunately only the Asian-trained ones seem good, and I've thus only found a practice in SF in the US)

10. Neural therapy/trigger point injections (for agitated exhaustion, pain)

11. Lamictal (this has been a miracle drug for my mild bipolar symptoms, but one of my doctors said that it tends to be helpful for the agitated exhaustion of CFS sufferers even if they don't meet the criteria of bipolar)

12. Recent scientific studies that have made my friends etc. more understanding/accepting of the disease

13. Good diet and regular meals, although it's hard to bring myself to do this one a lot of times.

14. Good vitamin supplementation, including at least 6,000 mg of Vitamin C (Emergen-C packets have been far better than anything else for me)

15. NADH. I needed high dosages--at first 20 mg a day, now my doctor has 100 mg sublingual pills compounded (for about $1 each). My period had disappeared for about four years and then (for good or bad, I suppose mostly good as an indication of overall health) reappeared immediately when I started taking this. My compounding lab is Belmar in Colorado.

16. Food allergies (a big one). Lab tests are pretty bad at finding these, unfortunately. I think the simple instructions in Coca's "The Pulse Test" are very helpful, though.

17. Little or (preferably) no sugar, to minimize candida. I take lots of probiotics but am not sure they really help; the "no sugar" definitely helps.

18. Human Growth Hormone (HGh). This stuff is exhausting....I think it shifts all available energy to repair mode. However, after a bad ankle sprain that didn't heal much after a month, I had the inspiration of using a small dose of this. My ankle was almost totally better within two days (even though I was exhausted during that time). This stuff is expensive, but the cost is low is used solely for this purpose.

19. Steam room, especially when alternated with cool showers. I'm not sure why; maybe it's detoxifying. I had good enough experiences that I added a steam shower to my home.

20. Bed rest, actually lying down, periodically during the day. I try to watch movies etc. during this time to keep my mind off negative thoughts.

21. Hydochloric Acid. I once had my stomach acid level tested and it was close to zero, meaning that little of my food gets digested. This stuff certainly helps after a large meal. It's somewhat easier for me to tolerate dairy if I use it (since it breaks down the protein molecules that I'm allergic to), although I still eat dairy very very rarely. Now that I think about it, I should take this stuff more regularly.....I tend to forget since it requires me to take the pills with me to meals.

There are a lot of others.....I'll try to add to this as time goes on.

[This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]
  12. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

13. caperkat

caperkat New Member

... with accupuncture and massage from a PT who practices Chinese medicine. I've been going for about 5 weeks, once a week. My insurance covers part of it, for which I am very thankful. Between that and various meds, I've improved my quality of life a little. Of course it seems nothing helps when a flare hits.

kat
  14. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I see a myotherpist once a week. I see a chiropractor once a week. I have an alternative doctor who has prescribed many many supplements which have helped. I have regular blood work to actually see tangible results in how these things are affected at the cellular level. I have been making slow improvements in my diet. The first big one was I cut out sugar for the last five years and I don't get sick as much. I started juicing about a year ago and was having some trouble with it. I restarted this with organic only and trying a more gradual approach and it has made a tremendous difference with my digestive system. I try to get lots of rest even though sleep is troublesome. I exercise with stretching every morning and I ride my bike in the warmer months. All of these things have helped me to continue to work in a very stress related field of music teaching. Thanks for a great post.

Nancy
  15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

the following have greatly reduced my symptoms:

1. a diet high in raw, living foods: fruits, veggies, nuts, etc.. I do eat soy, grains (especially brown rice), potatoes, chicken, turkey. But right now, I'm doing one 100% raw day a week. This diet has helped reduce my pain and inflamation. It also keeps me much happier and reduces brain fog.

2. a scooter! It helps me get outside on my own. (My walking distance is extremely limited).

3. resting constantly and not overdoing. When I overdo, I pay!

4. Seriphos, for overactive adrenal glands.

Kholmes
  16. littleleafhopper

I feel like I'm part of this giant team, with wellness just the other side of the goal post. (My hubbies watching Sunday night football, and I can hear them cheering on the TV), so that last sentence just popped out. Ha!

Let's continue to cheer each other on, and find our way. I thank you all for your thoughts, time, and support.

Yours, Lil
  17. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

meds, exercise, and eating right. i have been feeling better than ever the last couple of weeks. I think now I am about 90% better. I exercise every day for about an hour - 1/2 hour of cardio, 1/2 hour of yoga. I am continuing taking meds - 75 mg. Effexor, .25 mg Klonopin, 35 mg. Nortriptiline, 5 mg. Ambien. I don't eat a lot - just enough. I feel really nasty and nauseated if I stuff myself. It's better on my stomache to be a little hungry for some reason. Lots of fruits, veggies, beans, fish, yogurt and non-processed foods. I tried vitamins and more homeopathic remedies but none of them did anything for me. Each night I lay with the heating pad behind my neck and shoulders...and turn it off right before I drift to sleep. It has been a long, gradual road to feeling better. I just pray that it lasts....

I am trying to be as healthy as I possible can, and do the things that I can control. Hopefully, this will all ease the burden of the thing that I can't really control.
  18. code34me

code34me New Member

Staying at home with my children.

Moving slow in the morning.

Hot baths.

Suplements-Reliv,Omega 3,Iron (low Feriton levels,)Acidopholis, Vitamin E

Mediactions-Lexapro and Klonapin

NAPS (I love naps makes a huge difference if I can get one,

Try not to be so hard on myself

Oh and the Chiropractor of course!

Thats the basics! Codey
  19. KelB

KelB New Member

My big helpers were:

1) Pre-emptive rest. Half hour breaks, lying down but not sleeping, four times a day.

2) Activity pacing. Doing things in blocks of 15 minutes. Taking a break between activities. Never doing so much that I get tired.

3) Sleep routine. Getting up and going to bed at the same time each day.

4) Better diet. More fruit & veggies, less junk food. No caffeine (coffee, tea, cola). Cutting down drinks and food high in sugar or artificial sweeteners.
  20. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member