whats more painful fibro or arthrits

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by willruthie1965, Jun 14, 2008.

1. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I was just wondering for people who have both,which illness causes more problems and more pain?For me the fibro is the worse. Ruthie
  2. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

Fm is worse for me. My arthritis gets in the way but the FM never goes away. I don't know if that makes sense but it is like my knees, hands, ankles... only ache but my tender points and fatigue never leave a 8-9 on the pain scale. And everything that comes with FM only makes it worse.
  3. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Oh Ruthie, for me that is a toss up. My joints get so inflamed that I can hardly sit in a padded chair at times, my neck gets to bad I can not hold it up and have to go recline my head in my chair.

On the other hand my muscles give me just as much grief with pain.

I think AR causes me more soreness while the FM causes me more pain. But then again I am not sure.

I have both.
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

on the day, the weather, what I've done in the last 2 days
  5. shelly11

shelly11 New Member

what is the difference between cmp and fm? i was dx 4 both. i ache all over but trigger points r not painful. is there points 4 cmp 2 or just achiness?
  6. Fibro for me. I have a fibro pamplet the dr. gave me and it says fibro can be as painful as rheumatoid arthritis.

I keep asking the dr. if I have rheumatoid as my brother and mother both have it. But he says no, but no one cked but once for it, my brothers didn't show up for awhile ?
  7. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

but then AR has many as well it depends how many of which you are landed with maybe

all I understand that its pain, pain and more pain regardless

angel hugs

8. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I think.

Some people may have severe arthritis w/mild fibro. Others the reverse.

Some people may have arthritis related to systemic illness like lupus -- which can add an awful lot of pain & fatigue, as well as at times serious organ malfunction.

Some people may have meds or supps to reduce symptoms arthritis. But tylenol & NSAIDs aren't tolerated by everyone -- and some folks don's find these OTCs help their fibro.

For me ... the worst is when BOTH are flared up together!

Best wishes.
  9. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I think everyone is like me. I think fibro is the hardest. Ruthie
  10. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

I hurt all the time if it is hard to tell which is which sometimes........both are horrible to live with....
  11. poets

poets Member

It depends on the weather and what I have or haven't done over a period of days. They're both pretty nasty!

12. footballmom

footballmom New Member

I have all three, because all three are painful it's sometimes hard to distinguish which one is worse. I think the FM is really bad because the pain seems to float. You never know what's going to hurt next and the fatigue, well need I say more. The RA is pretty bad also because my hands hurt so badly that sometimes I can hardly grasp a cup or a pen or even type, then again the arthritis in my spine and my knees can really throw me for a loop.

13. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I'm with broadcasting: Arthritis causes me pain and stiffness but FM causes me pain, stiffness, brain fog, fatigue, depression, IBS, GERD, sore throat, memory loss, TMJ, sleep problems, etc.
  14. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I asked my rheumatologist which he thought was causing me the most pain the FM or RA and he said the RA is under control and thinks the FM is my main problem.

Whichever it is it stinks!!

I have to say I think I could endure the RA better. With the FM you never know where it is going to hit next.

15. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have a horrid tail bone and that is awful. When I get up in the morning, I can't stand to move or stand - it is awful but there is breakfast to get, the bed to be made. laundry to start, etc...........

i don't know what it was yesterday but the pain was horrid. I wiggled with pain all through church and the pain never went away. I had used the dry and wet Swiffer on our tiny bath.....I paid for that.

Today I did a couple of things that took extra strength so tomorrow, both............

i put a big bed pillow in my recliner today and that feels fo good.

Anyway, I hurt!!!!

16. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

You know, I wish I could answer that question. I have both and I cannot tell what the pain is coming from when it's in my knees.

My knees always hurt to touch them. Sometimes they ache and throb, and sometimes I go to get up and suddenly cannot walk because of the pain in them.

I think my ankle and foot pain is more FM. But, even with my hips and back...I don't know which is causing the pain. I have bursitis in both hips and arthritis, DDD and a herniation in my lower back. I have constant pain there.

Anyone else have an idea to help me?

17. bakerdana3

bakerdana3 New Member

Have you ever thought of having surgery on your back? I was dx with a herniated disc there too and also had a fracture on the L5 and i had in pain for a 1 1/2 years. The back problems stem from my grandma to my anut and now me and my two sisters. my sister had only the herniated disc and had surgery, but niether me or my sister regret having the surgery. if you have any questions just ask. i also have been dx with fibro and i am having a hard time finding what works. there are many other dx that i have too many to list. maybe we can help eachother
  18. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Thanks for the response.

I've been told the herniation is not bad enough for surgery. It's the same story with the torn meniscus in my left knee... I just get to live in more pain. Yippie.