WHAT'S MY LINE

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by rockgor, Aug 7, 2018.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Post the first line of a song lyric. Players post the next line. You can
    post the whole thing if you know it and are feeling energetic.
    Q. How much is that doggie in the window?
    A. The one with the waggedly tail.

Q. First the tide rushes in
    A. Plants a kiss on the shore

1 That fateful night the car was stalled
    2 Well, it's one for the money, two for the show

3 Some say love; it is a river
    4 Oh, Give me a home

Rock
  2. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

2 Well, it's one for the money, two for the show: THREE TO GET READY, NOW GO CAT GO

4 Oh, Give me a home: WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM
    gb66 likes this.
  3. rockgor

Hi Patti

Very good. You got 'em all. The lyrics to The Rose are beautiful. Written by
    Amanda McBroom. She also has a beautiful voice. You can hear her sing on Youtube.

5 Clang, clang, clang went the trolly.
    6 Come Away With Me, Lucille.

7 Take me home, Country Roads
    5 I'll Be Seeing You

GB, where you be?

Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  4. hangininthere

Rock, I only got #2 and #4.

Patti
  5. hangininthere

5 Clang, clang, clang went the trolly.

6 Come Away With Me, Lucille.

7 Take me home, Country Roads

8 I'll Be Seeing You
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Here I am Rock!

Answers:

5, Ding, ding, ding went the bell, zing, zing, zing went my heartstrings, from the moment I saw him I fell....

6. In my merry Oldsmobile.....

7. To the place I belong, West VA, mountain mama, take me home country roads.

8. In all those old familar places, that this heart of mine embraces all day through....

(Don't know 1 and 3.)
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Try These:

9. "When you wore a tulip...."

10. "There's no business like show business...."

11. "Oh My Papa....."

12. "We've only just begun to live....."

13. "Sitting on the dock of the bay....."
  8. rockgor

Hi Kids

I did a post last night. When I got done my post vanished, and I was kicked off the net. Don't even remember the songs I posted. But now I see my post is back. The one that starts with number 5. All very confusiatin'.

Patti, yes, I was trying to correct my misstatement about the number of your right
    answers when the computer went crazy. It's really getting difficult for me to post
    more than a sentence or two.

OK, got thrown off the board again. I guess I hit another wrong key.

I get too befuddled when I try to scroll up and down to see what was answered, etc. Furthermore I lost my list of titles. OY! I think you guys got all the ones you
    answered right.

9 is A big yellow tulip.
    10 is Like no business I know. Irving Berlin
    11 To me he was so wonderful. (And my mind or fingers keeps substituting words. On this answer I typed "is" instead of "he".) Reminds me of when I had to give up playing Bridge.

Don't know the last two.

Rock
    hangininthere and gb66 like this.
  9. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

Answers:
    12 White lace and promises a kiss for luck and we're on our way
    13 wastin' time...

New:
    14 Well let me tell you of the story of a man named Charlie
    15 Most of all you've got to hide it from the kids
    16 I saw the thing comin' out of the sky
    17 Take away the trees and
    18 Oh I wonder, wonder, wonder, wonder who
    19 What would you think if I sang out of tune
    And just because I'm evil:
    20 Dies Irea

This is my kind of game!! My family used to call me 'the human tape recorder.'
    gb66 likes this.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock and Duckie, You got all correct.

#16 "Purple People Eater." It was a one eyed, one horned flying purple people eater.

#18 "Who Wrote the Book of Love." Tell me, tell me, tell me who wrote the book of love.

#19 "With a Little Help From My Friends." Would you stand up and walk out on me?
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

More:

21. Hanging around, nothing to do but frown.....

22. So many nights I sit by my window.....

23. Sometimes we walk hand in hand by the sea.....

24. Don't take it serious, life's too mysterious.....

25. Oh how the ghost of you clings.....

26. He may not always say.....
  12. dmcduck

GB - Correctamundo.

21. Rainy days and Mondays always get me down
    22. Waiting for someone to come sing me his song (man, hadn't thought of that song in yonks!)
    23. And we breathe in the cool salty air
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    gb66 likes this.
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Yeppers Duckie!
  14. rockgor

21 Dunno the next line, but the wonderful Karen Carpenter sang it.

25 These foolish things remind me of you.

26 What you would have him say. Something Wonderful, from Rodgers and
    Hammerstein's The King and I.

24 From Life is Just A Bowl of Cherries; can't remember the next line. Remember
    Irma Bombeck's book? If Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries, What am I Doing in the Pits?

I don't know most of the lyrics you posted. I only know old songs. I must be too
    old to play with you kids.

Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Ha ha Rock. No you're not any older than I am. Got my 78th birthday coming up. I was trying to post some songs for different decades. Still trying to be GB the social director here on our ship, "The Good Ship O My Gosh." You got them all correct.Life is just a bowl of cherries, don't take it serious, it's too mysterious, is the next line of #24.

I read all of Erma's books back in the day. Loved her writing. Do you remember "The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank" ? This is so true. When I was a kid we had watermelons growing over ours. I guess someone dropped a seed there. We never ate them though. There were actually a few diamond back rattle snakes in there at one time. Florida, gotta love it. GB
  16. dmcduck

14 was "on a tragic and fateful day" (M.T.A. - Kingston Trio)
    15 was "coo coo ca choo Mrs. Robinson...) Simon and Garfunkel
    17 was "and the birds will have to sit upon the ground" - Tennessee Bird Walk, Misty Morgan and Jack Blanchard
    and my evil #20 was "Dies Illa" which comes from the requiem mass. Means Day of anger, day of wrath.

I'm much younger than both of you, so I've been trying to keep my picks to older songs from my rather eclectic collection.
    gb66 likes this.
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Duckie, I hadn't heard of those three. I think most of my memories of song lyrics are from the 50's and 70's. I still remember a few from the 40's because my aunt played them on our record player/hi-fi. I was raisng 4 little ones in the 60's and don't think I even had time to listen to music or much of anything else! lol

By the 80'-90's and beyond, I was more into retro music. Already acting like an old lady. My all time favorites were from the 70's even though I was a teenager in the 50's. I loved the slow, romantic songs of that era more than rock and roll of my generation. Give me The Carpenters and Diana Ross and the Supremes every time. :) GB
  18. rockgor

Hi Folks

Nothing says nostalgia like music. I know lots of 40s songs even though I was not
    yet in school because my mother used to play all her old records every time her brother
    came to visit. They especially liked novelty tunes by folks like Spike Jones and Dorothy Shay. (On Youtube if you're curious. Or even if you're not curious.)

Duckie, Somewhere in my CDs I have a performance of the Verdi Requiem led by
    Toscanini. He used to broadcast on the NBC network. NBC put together an orchestra
    just for him. There were also several opera broadcasts. I have some of them too. I saw
    a live performance of the Requiem in Las Vegas 50 years ago.

GB, you had rattle snakes near your house? Yikes! I used to catch toads and frogs
    and snakes when I was in my yute, but the only snakes around were garter snakes.
    Docile as a butterfly. Yup, I read all of Erma's books. Learned of her when the same
    uncle mentioned above gave me one of her books. If you give a man the right book,
    you won't have to teach him to fish.

Just went to Youtube. Erma is there. I watched her appearance on the Tonight
    show with the great Johnny Carson. Today's late night hosts are, well, different.

Hugs
    Rock
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    gb66 likes this.
  19. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

We had many snakes around the neighborhood, some were even reptiles! :) Most of them were black snacks and garter snakes but there really was a baby diamond back rattler in our watermelon patch. All the neighbors were trying to kill the mom snake. One day I saw her slithering across the street. She was a big one. The guy down the street shot it.

We also had a coral snake under our house one time. Very scary. No aligators though, too far from the water. One of my girlfriends was bitten by a diamond back and spent time in the hospital. She was lucky to survive. We played in the woods all the time. Had to be very very careful where you stepped. GB
    rockgor likes this.
  20. rockgor

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep.

So I would not stop here to sleep.

Suppose a rattler seeking heat
    cuddled up; then bit your feet.

Rock (with oomage to Robert Frost) That's how the French pronounce homage.
    gb66 likes this.