WHAT'S NEW IN DEPRESSION MEDS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1maqt, Dec 17, 2002.

1. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

HAVE HAD MAJOR DEPRESSION FOR SO MANY YEARS,AND HAVE BEEN TAKING DOXEPIN FOR SLEEP, BUT WHEN MY FMS FLARES UP THE DEPRESSION IS ALMOST WORSETHAN THE PAIN. AM FEELING SO MUCH BETTER( AS OPPOSED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PITS.) WHAT SEEMS TO WORK BEST? NEVER HAD A DR. WHO KNEW MUCH. SAW A RHUMITOLIGIST FEW YRS BACK, BUT HE SEEMED LIKE HE WAS DETACHED FROM HELPING. ANYONE FROM ROCKFORD IL WHO KNOWS A DR?
    1MAQT
  2. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. I live in the south western suburbs so I can't really help you with a doctor.
    All I can say is I've tried many of the drugs and the only two that seemed to work for me are either Zoloft or Prozac.
    I'm on the Prozac right now.
    You don't have to see a Rheumy for depression drugs. You can just go to your Family Doctor and just tell them how you've been feeling. You might have to try different ones until you find the right one for you.
    Good Luck,
    HOB
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

While it is possible to get an rx for antidepresants from a PCP or rheumy, it is usually best if you see a psychiatrist first to be sure you are getting a good dx. Their speciality is managing meds these days and they know much more about antidepressants than some most other docs.

Once you are on one and stable you may then be refered back to your PCP for refills, depends on the doc. I've had both kinds, an incompetent shrink who saw me regularly for med management and a wonderful one who told me once I found my CFS and FM doc, who is not a rheumy, that I was in good hands with him.

By the way, I've been on most antidepressants and am currently on Zoloft, which has probably been the best one for me. I got it from the competent shrink!

Barbara
  4. Mariah

Mariah New Member

called Lexapro. It just came out on the market a few months or so ago and it is basically Celexa without the side effects that most anti-d's give people. It is being touted as the new wonder antidepressant drug because it works well on the depression and has little to no side effects. I'm going to try it as soon as my insurance puts it on the formularly list.
  5. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

I've been on it about 6 months now and was taking Celexa before. I have clinical depression all my life but just diagnosed in 1989. I wish I could take Zoloft but it didn't agree with me. This runs in my family on the female side. My grandaughter has been on Zoloft for a year now, shes 12 and shes a different person. Lexapro has treated me better than Prozac but I am taking Zyprexa which they say helps your antidepressent work better. Hope this helps. Terri
  6. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I agree with "teach6". It is best to go to a Psychiatrist for anti-depressants.

PCP's will admit, that there knowledge of antidepressant drugs, how they work, side effects, proper dosage, is very limited.