What's on your all done list?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greenbean7, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I just read somewhere that instead of doing a "to do" list I should make a "I did" list. The article said it was to make you realize what you had achieved without overwhelming yourself with what still needed to be done.

I don't know how I am supposed to keep track of what still needs to be done this way, but I'm giving it a try.

So, here's my I Done list so far this week:

1. Finished carving the three gifts for the Secret Santa exchange at work.

2. Finished painting the gifts.

3. Bought gift for "white elephant" exchange.

This is harder than it seems. When I wrote down #2 I almost put "still need to seal and antique them". Wanted to put down #4 Need to wrap gifts.

It's hard to acknowledge what I've done without focusing on what I still need to do.

Anyway, thought I'd share since we all have so much to do and so little time and energy to do it!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Was that hard for you to do with out wanting to write what you still needed to do? I found it challenging to try to concentrate on what I've done and not on what I need to do.

It probably doesn't help that my desk is piled way to deep with files I should be working on!

3. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

What worked for me after a couple months of trying to figure out how to get the dogs from peeing on the floor was this.

White vinegar! No kidding. I have two dogs, 4 cats and a kitten now. I shampooed the carpets with white vinegar diluted and then had a spray bottle with straight white vinegar and if someone had an accident I sprayed that spot. Since the first week there has not been an accident since, even when I am gone for hours. I have had friend try it and it has worked for them also. I read it off the internet from a veterinarian. I think it probably the best thing I ever read!

Now greenbean7 my done list....hmmm.
    1) I took the kids to their eye doctor appt.
    2) I got the filters cleaned in the vacuum.
    3) I have fixed supper 3 nights in a row!
    4) I did 4 loads of laundry this week. (washed, dryed, folded)

Well I think that is probably enough for now...the list is making me tired so I better quit! (teehee)

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
  4. abcanada

abcanada New Member

It is true that completely shampooing the carpets, and probably with vinegar is better will stop the dogs from using the carpet as a toilet! I have one small carpetin my living room and the rest is hardwood. Sucks when its cold as it is now, but easier to keep clean. my 7 yr daughter was sick last week & threw up on the hardwood. I cleaned it upp right away, but already started to strip the finish....ooops.
    Well today I went to the doc, where I seem to be every 2 weeks lately. I feel like I had to beg for my Percocet today. She didn't want to give it to me! I told her I was going straight to the ER if she didn't! She gave in if I'd agree to cut back on them. I litterally have had one of the worst migraines of my life for the last 10 days and am in soo much agony. Even with the Percocet, doesn't seem to be helping. I hope everyone else is well! Laura from the deep freeze in the north.
  5. IowaMorningGlory

I know you are on Percocet, but just curious where your migraine pain is?

I take Relpax for my migraines and I too have them severe. The kind where light makes you throw up, noise makes you throw up, just moving does it.

I tried amitryptaline, butabital, imitrex and nothing worked but shots of demerol. There for awhile my rear felt like a porcupine had ran into it! It got to where one shot of demerol didn't work so I had to have one and then one later.

My doctor gave me Relpax to begin with as a sample. The nurse said she took them and I would know when it worked because it was like a whoosh over your head and the pain is gone. I am like right, sure it does.

I took it home and a few days later needed it. Unfortunately I was not home where it was so I had to wait. You know what that does. I figured, oops too late, but I took it anyway. And 1/2 hr later, whoosh I felt it go up the back of my neck and then to the front and the migraine was gone!

You may have tried it already, but just thought I would ask and let you know.

I am like you I wish I had all wood floors. My husband and I keep talking about laminating all the floors. We have too many critters for carpet.

Take care and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I didn't see very many all done lists on here! You guys just aren't trying! If you don't pat yourself on the back for what you accomplish, no matter how small, who will?

Last night I put a load of towels in the washer (and remembered to turn it on!).

This morning I remembered to put them in the dryer.

That might be all I accomplish, but I got it done!

Georgia - I would crate the dog. If it messes in the crate it will learn not to go in the house. My dogs are loose in the house for up to 12 hours, but when they didn't have as much control as they do now I put them in the crate.

He might actually be happier in the crate because it feels like a den. When you are gone he may feel insecure and the crate might actually help with that also.

Trish - Girl you got something done! You posted a list! It might have said zero, but it was a list just the same!

7. IowaMorningGlory

-Got kids up and off to school
    -Cleaned cat litters (yuck)
    -Vacuumed all the floors
    -Filled dishwasher and turned on
    -Did two loads of laundry today
    -Did three loads of laundry last night
    -Folded three loads of laundry from last night
    -Swept kitchen floor
    -Took out 3 bags of garbage
    -Posted a Melt in your Mouth Peanutbutter cookie recipe
    -Fed and watered dogs & cats

Yup, thats good for today! I am done!

Take care & Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

See how much you have accomplished! Just reading it made me tired!

Now how much more intimidating would that have been as a "to do" list! You would have been tired before you started.

9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Another motivational list! There are never enough ways to motivate! We certainly need all of it we can get.

Stormyskye started the 'to do' thread many months ago and it was amazing how much help it provided to so many. It was the first thing I looked for, every morning! Well, after I got my coffee! For me, I have found I do accomplish more.

I was reading, your thread, and noticed you had several, negative sounding, mentions of 'to do' lists. One was, how overwhelmed people feel looking at a to do list. A college professor of mine repeatedly told the class 'scratching items off of a list, is a great motivator, and gives one a feeling of accomplishment.'

I am not sure if you've read the 'to do' thread, but not all people feel overwhelmed. Many feel empowered, being able to check items off of their lists. Also, writing and telling what has been accomplished, is of great satisfaction, as you well know. Of course, there are those who would find it intimidating.

It's great,we all have two options,now! What doesn't appeal to some, will appeal to others!

Just wanted to let you know more about the other thread and what's its role has been.

Have a nice evening!

[This Message was Edited on 11/30/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2006]
  10. IowaMorningGlory

I do both, and enjoy seeing both. My to do list most times is all the things that I think I should be doing and try to get done.

My done list is what I actually get accomplished.

I like both, sometimes they are totally different lists. Because sometimes what I think I should get done and what I actually do are two different things.

I love both of the boards for different reasons. One I can cross off with satisfaction knowing I did what I could. The other I see what I did that is the reason my to do list didn't get done.

Does that make sense? To me they are both great motivators. Actually I have started doing that at home now in a journal.
    So thank greenbean7 and ksp56 for both posts and stormskye.

Take care & Kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
  11. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thanks! I feel the same way as you do!

12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Please don't think I was degrading the "to do list". That was not my intention.

This "to done" list is simply a lighter version of the to do list.

I agree with Laurie and I often do both. And I also agree that making a to do list can be a great motivator. Crossing things off a list can heighten that feeling that you are accomplishing things.

My feeling with this is that a lot of our friends here are overwhelmed with the things they feel they need to do, but aren't able to get done. Especially at this time of year. Celebrating what we can do is very good for our morale.

Again, I meant nothing negative about the to do list and I do read much of it. Not all, because I really am supposed to be working here!! Gotta get a home computer some day! I should put that on my "to do" list!!

13. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Hey! Good afternoon!

Thanks for responding! I really do think it's great having both posts! The more the merrier!

I understand what you are saying, and I agree! It is really good, being 'neighbors and friends'!

I hope you have a great day!

Many hugs to you!

PS... Hmmm, I really LIKE your carvings! Maybe you could hide one in Santa's sleigh and send it my way! It was worth a try. I admire your ability with carving. You are so talented!

14. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I went to my granddaughter's basketball game alone, several miles from our home, after dark.

I am agoraphobic and doing these things is very hard for me...but I did it. I even impressed my DIL who was kind enough to call and comment.

I wasn't going to go...but, I did.

Maybe next time will be easier...maybe not. I'll just be happy I accomplished last night.

15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Big HOORAYS to you! You done good!

16. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Greenbean!

How's the puppies!

This is a good suggestion making a I Done list. My therapist used to call it my Credit List because she said I never gave myself credit for all the things I accomplished. Thanks for the reminder to start again.

1. Brought in wood for the fire as the power was out and the house was getting cold.

2. Carried in 2 pails of water from the rain barrel (the power was out this morning and I needed water to flush the toilets, as I live in the country)

3. Made up my daughter's bed with fresh sheets and blankets as she arrives home from Australia on Monday.

4. Visited with my Mom who dropped by, she doesn't realize how much effort it takes to sit and talk for 2 hours.

5. Kept the fire going.

6. Swept the floor.

7. Changed the water in the fish tanks.

8. Made supper!

hugs Redwillow
  17. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Wow, I'm impressed!

I laughed when I read about the pails of water and flushing the toilet when the power is out. We always filled the bathtub with water when we had a storm coming when I was a kid and for years I thought toilets ran on electricity!!

What we country girls don't go through!

Last night I:

Washed, dried and folded a load of clothes
    Did the antiquing on the three carvings I have for our Secret Santa exchange
    Fixed dinner and cleaned up
    Fed the dogs and took them out for a run in the snow (they run, I amble!)

Got up early enough to go to Wal-Mart before work. Was there at 7:30! Got all the candy for Christmas stockings.

Got to work on time, dressed, make-up and hair done, too!

Called in an Rx refill

Actually got a few things off my desk, too!

Now I'm off until Monday so no posting :*( But I'll be back on Monday!

Have a wonderful weekend!