What's on your To Do Jan 17 - 23

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AnneTheresa, Jan 17, 2011.

1. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello everyone,

This extreme winter weather can make living with chronic illness and pain all the more difficult. For me, the difficulty of getting around outdoors means I spend too much time indoors which lends itself to inactivity which leads to increased pain. The inactivity and increased pain leads to depression.

It's a vicious cycle, one which I've been working to break. During difficult times, I find I need to get back to basics:

1) eat nutritious, well-balanced meals,
    2) get enough sleep &
    3) exercise.

The above-listed items are the main agenda items on my to-do list this week.

On my daily to-do list, the following:

shop for groceries
    electronic filing

I look forward to hearing from others. Newcomers to the to-do list thread are always welcome!

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Well, my optimism from last week, unfortunately, is gone. I had thought my husband was making some progress in regards to his verbal abuse problem, but now I can see that he was just putting on a show for me. And I guess I should have realized that I shouldn't have expected progress, if there is ever going to be any, is not going to come quickly.

Harry resents having to take an hour out of his weekend to go to therapy, even though our counselor is only located five minutes from our house. He doesn't like me "trying to change him". Of course I am trying to change him-I don't wish to continue being verbally abused!
    He doesn't like the therapy-he says that he doesn't like how he is all wrong and I am all right. Shouldn't that tell him then that maybe he is the one with the problem??

To make matters worse, his behavior this past weekend was the worst it has ever been and for such a long time! He constantly would want to pick fights with me! I would normally have just gone away in the car somewhere, but I really didn't feel well. And this time it wasn't the FMS.

For the past several weeks I have been having problems with lightheadedness, dizziness and then last Thursday just before it was time to get out of the pool, I became dizzy and then had palpitations. I was just shocked as I hadn't had this happen since before my heart surgery seven or eight years ago that was supposed to take care of this problem. I had another palpitation episode on Sunday morning laying in bed. Only this time the palpitations feel different and I am getting other symptoms now-shortness of breath, pressure, discomfort in my chest. When I told Harry I wondered if I was having a heart attack, he just laughed and called me a "drama queen." So much for no longer calling me names. I looked at the heart attack symptoms for women today and I have some of them, but they don't list palpitations.

Plus, my periods have been running 3 weeks apart and I recently had an ultrasound and a blood test and my gynecologist's office found out that the lining in my uterus was thicker than it should be. So I was concerned about what that meant all weekend, too.

Surprisingly, Harry did look up my heart problems on the Internet and found out that women can have palpitations during menopause, but I'm not going through menopause yet. But that was helpful to know and I thanked him for looking that up.

But then when I told Harry how worried I was about my health, particularly my heart, and that I really didn't feel well, and he said "So does this mean you are just going to lay around all the time? I wanted to go out to eat and visit the folks today." And he continued to verbally abuse me. I think he enjoyed the fact that I wasn't as strong emotionally and physically. What he did to me was despicable and I really don't have much hope for our marriage anymore. I know he is doing this to me so I will give up on the counseling. I told him I would pray for him.

My gynecologist told me today that she thinks I have a polyp in my uterine lining and that I will need a D & C. I will have that really soon.

Thankfully she really didn't think I was having a heart attack, but said her office would do what it could to get me into the cardiologist's office ASAP, hopefully Weds. I've had a roadblock getting in to see him as they need a referral from my main doctor's office. All they need is a phone call, but, of course, my doctor won't do that. They want me to come in for an office visit instead. That wastes time and my gynecologist agreed. She said she would be the referral. She knows my cardiologist since she's the director of the women's center at the hospital,which is next door to her office. Hopefully this will work out. She thinks I should be seen ASAP and I agree.

Isn't life interesting? Never a dull moment!

3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Anne Theresa: I realized I hadn't responded to your post. I know what you mean about not keeping up with exercising. I try to do it four times a week, but the past several months I have been a little lazy and some weeks I've only done it three times and once in a great while only two times. So that's not good. And also I've been staying up later than usual and some mornings I can't sleep in longer to make up for it so that means I get less sleep. I really need to get to bed a little earlier. I've always been a night owl and it's nice having the house to myself since it's so quiet.

Don't feel bad that you allowed yourself to cry during the holidays. I've been doing some crying myself the past few days. This counseling has been rough. Some of the things that Harry has been saying about me during the counseling sessions has been really awful-like he says he is superior to me. And he acts like it's perfectly normal and I shouldn't be upset about it.

Take care. I keep telling myself that I am a good person who deserves to be treated with love and respect. I told Harry that over the weekend. Tell youself that, too, okay?

4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Ellen, You've had more than your share to deal with lately. Thanks for the affirmation 'I am a good person who deserves to be treated with love and respect.' It's important to hold onto that core truth. I hope your medical needs are attended to, and that you get a clean bill of health.

I saw my doctor this afternoon, then came home to do the vacuuming. My friend is coming over shortly for coffee and then we'll likely go to the mall for an hour.

In addition, a few items on my to-do list,

go to pharmacy
    finish homework
    sweep laundry room
    wash glass, screens, windows
    make apt. for manicure, massage

God bless
    Anne Theresa
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2011]
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

It's Thursday already, and I'm trying to keep up with things.....

Ellen, sorry to hear of your problems- healthwise and in the marriage. I hope you can BOTH continue to see the counselor. I think it could take quite awhile to iron out some of the problems, but it sounds like you are willing to try. Maybe it won't happen, but at least you tried.

Anne Theresa- I'm glad you are able to get out a bit. Has your weather warmed up at all? Ours did and we had such a rapid snowmelt, that there was some flooding (not to us personally).
    I know we are all looking forward to warmer weather!

I have finally gotten the urge to start walking again....the scale reminded me that it was time! So hubby and I walked yesterday. It was a beautiful, sunny day, albeit a little chilly. I plan to walk again today.....just have to carve a little time out to do it, then stick with it. Plus we are not buying all the sugar stuff that was around here during the holidays, so that should also help in losing weight. I've got a long way to go.....

I subbed for a choral teacher Tuesday, then will sub for orchestra on Friday. Life is pretty interesting!

6. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Terri, to answer your question - yes, it's a bit warmer today - but overall it's been a very cold and windy few weeks. It' great you're walking. I believe daily walks are the best thing you can do for your health.

You're not alone in needing to lose weight, I gained five pounds over the holidays, so I can add that to twenty pounds I hope to lose. Your life does sound interesting, just the way your schedule unfolds so different from week to week and day to day, keeps it interesting.

To-Do Today

try to fix vacuum
    if fixed, vacuum
    if not, add vacuum to 'to buy' list
    install headlight on scooter
    on line banking
    make weekly pill dispensers
    read, watch movie

God bless
    Anne Theresa