What's On Your To Do List? 5/29/07 thru 6/03/07

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ksp56, May 29, 2007.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

We ended up staying at the lake even longer than intended! Sorry this is a day late!

I came home earlier this afternoon, unpacked and started laundry. House is clean, even with our 19 y/o son being here! LOL

Anne Theresa, I hope you are doing much better from your fall! How frightening. Hope your new walker is in use now, or very soon.

Our offer on the other lakefront home was accepted. It needs A LOT of work, but well worth it due to the view. If it passes inspection next Friday, we will put our current one on the market.

I hope you all had a great holiday weekend! It rained Saturday and Sunday. My family chose not to go to the race due to the impending bad weather. We watched it on TV and liked that much better than being in the rain! LOL

[This Message was Edited on 05/30/2007]
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Kim, your lake house sounds wonderful..

Today I'm going to our PX to demand either my tv or my money back. This 42" plasma has been in the repair shop since January 8th. They've had enough time to fix it, so now they get to see me fed up...(oh this should be good!!)

But don't worry, I can be tactful and fed up at the same time!

I need to water my plants too, get my kitchen rug out of the washing machine downstairs and after that, the day is mine.

I'm staying away from some of my usual activities this week because I'm on day 3 of not smoking and I always want to increase my chances for success. So no long phone calls to friends who smoke, etc...

Hugs all,

Nancy B
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I put a picture in my profile of me along with the wee lilac tree we planted last summer. My friend took the picture yesterday.

Congrats Kim on your new lakefront home! I hope the inspection goes off without a hitch.

Good for you, Nancy, for quitting smoking! I quit 1 1/2 years ago and I hope to stay off them for good - it's nice to be free!

Linda, good luck with the dentist today - I hope it's all pain-free and routine.

I'm happy to report that I had my (telephone)intake interview to see about replacing my walker. The assessment will be in 2-4 weeks. It's a bit of a process but the agency will give me a walker (on loan) until the paperwork is complete and my new one is purchased.

It's warm in the house today (and my air conditioner hasn't been installed yet) so I won't be doing too much housework.

- clean inside of fridge
    - water houseplants
    - put spices in new jars and label

I'm feeling pretty good today but for a sore neck (with zero range of motion). I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow so that should help some.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Sorry about that!! I've corrected the post but I hope it doesn't make yours look funny now.

And no, it isn't my first attempt. I made it 5 months a year ago and can easily blame hubby for me starting back up again.

I went to the PX and got my money back. I was politely firm with the CS lady but very firm with the store manager who only wanted to give me a partial reimbursement.

I firmly told him that was unacceptable and walked out with all of my money back, yeah!!!

So I ended up going back with hubby at lunch time and choosing another tv. I hope we haven't made a huge mistake but we brought home the same kind. (It's the only one that fits in our cabinet)

Came home and even fixed the vacuum today. It just wasn't working right and with these pretty grey floors, it made the house look a mess, and who wants to clean if it doesn't show.

Even made dinner too...Wow what a day!!

Anne Theresa, love the picture and I miss my lilac bushes the most since the move.

Hugs all,

Nancy B
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Catching up with laundry! It's insanity after being away! That's about it for the day!

Nancy: I hope your new TV is working well! We've had to take back three to get a good one in the past! Fools! LOL Congrats on trying not to smoke! It is very difficult. I smoked for close to 30 years, and quit four years ago. I used the gum, and would give my every urge a minute to see if it passed, which it did. I had to stop my morning calls and coffee, though! Still do! The urge is always there! I'll be rooting for you! Just keep trying! It will 'take' at some time! Hopefully, ASAP!

Linda: Geesh! Just try to stay cool! I like dry heat, but not at those temps! I hope it was a 'pain free' experience at the dentist. I used to be a dental assistant, in the old days! I do remember Groucho Marx and the show. I'll be 51 Saturday, so I've been around the block a few times!

Anne Theresa: Love your lilac bush, and you are adorable! With you A/C not going, due take it easy today! Happy you'll be getting your walker soon!

To all of you, thank you for the good wishes on the lake cottage. Will have more info on Friday. If it's meant to be, it will. If not, I love where we are at and feel very fortunate.

Have a relaxing and a 'cool' evening... You are all 'cool', but I'm talking about weather conditions too! LOL

6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I finally got over to the library this week so I could check in with all of you ladies. Maybe someday I will be modern like the rest of you and have a computer with the Internet in my own home! Of course, most of the year I can use the computer at work so it's not a problem.

Anne Theresa: So sorry to hear of your fall. That must have been scary. Hope all goes well with getting your new walker. I love the picture of you and the lilacs!

Nancy: So how is the no-smoking going? I've never been a smoker, but I'm sure it's as hard as losing weight. Yes, the visit with my brother went pretty well. My husband did get frustrated with him when he told him not to do a couple of things (like using our phone), and Jim tried to do it anyway. I have to remind my husband that Jim is mentally ill and very childlike. But I think the visit went pretty well in spite of that.

Kim: It rained both Saturday and Sunday here, too. It didn't really affect anything we were doing, but I did feel back that the weather wasn't better on a holiday weekend. My husband is a real race fan.

Linda: We've had some hot weather here, too. I'm glad we have central air, but we try not to use it too much. I hate having to have all the windows closed in the house.

As usual, this has been a busy week for me. On Tuesday, I went into town and did a lot of errands, including getting groceries. On Weds. I was busy with my brother. He had two doctor appts., we got his hair cut, did some shopping for things he needed. Plus, I'm still working on our kitchen. I've got half of the wallpaper on now and it is looking so nice.

To-do list for Thursday:

-do more wallpapering (done)
    -do three loads of laundry (in the process)
    -vacuum carpet upstairs (done)
    -macaroni and cheese for dinner

To-do list for rest of week:

-wash bedding
    -more wallpapering
    -water gardens if we don't get rain
    -catch up on ironing
    -pay bills
    -finish painting note cards as a birthday present for my
    girlfriend (her birthday is next week)

I might be back here on the weekend. I have to go into work after church on the weekend to pick up my paycheck (it will be on my desk) and will probably use the computer there to see how everyone here is doing. With the price of gas these days, I've had to cut down on the number of trips I make into town.

Take care, everyone. I miss talking to you everyday!

7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I'm just back from my massage therapy session and a bit of grocery shopping. My massage was relaxing but it didn't help the neck pain (and subsequent headaches) that I've been struggling with for the past several weeks. (Usually massage therapy helps with pain but every once in a while it just seems to stir it all up.) I'm going to wear my air-traction neck collar for the rest of the day, hopefully that will bring some relief.

It's hot and muggy outside but thankfully, sweetie installed the A/C yesterday and so this one room, at least, is nice and cool.

There are only a few small tasks I have left to do today, which is good because I'm tired from my outing and with the heat:

- clean fridge
    - chop up celery for snacks
    - make two weeks worth of daily pill dispensers
    - swiffer floors
    - clean & organize two drawers (in living room side-tables)

Thanks for the nice comments about my picture.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Linda, no I didn't take my lilacs. The landlord here doesn't have the lawn ready so there was no place to transplant them to and I didn't want to kill them. Lilacs are very special to me, they were my Mom's favorite too.

Ellen, I'm having a really hard time this time with trying to quit smoking, although I haven't had one in days. The cravings are worse this time, not sure why though.

I'm always glad to hear of a nice visit with your brother. Regarding your husband, it's amazing isn't it how much it takes to really, really understand the mentally ill. You can tell someone and expain until you're blue in the face, but it takes a lot to really 'get' it. (My hubby included although he tries)

My daughter's not doing so well, (and I saw it coming a mile away) so she may be coming in today to get a refill for her Ativan. (If it's not inconvenient for her fiance...grrrrrrr!)

She's on the road to another crash and I'm trying to help her to avoid it. Her fiance just expects too much out of her that she's not really capable of giving. Like for example, why can't he check her meds to see if she needs more, she's the one who's mentally ill???

So if she comes in today I'll be taking her to the doc and trying to fit in a small veggie/fruit trip to the commissary.

Hopefully we'll spend some time talking and just see how things go.

If not...I'm not exactly sure what I'll do today. I vacuumed and mopped yesterday for the weekend so I might just take it easy.

Sorry for venting ladies....

Hugs all,

Nancy B

9. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I had a rough night with very little sleep due to continued neck pain & headache. I have much pain elsewhere as well, but my neck is the worse of it lately. I tried the air-traction yesterday and so I'll try the tens unit today, also some physiotherapy exercises, magic bag and deep cold. With all that's available in my 'pain-relief toolbox', something is bound to break through this pain.

I didn't get through yesterday's to-do list so I'll carry these few items forward:

- clean fridge
    - swiffer floors
    - clean drawers in end-tables

- empty wastebaskets
    - water plants
    - walk

Happy birthday, Kim!

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Having more trouble with the stop smoking thing this time. I even tried to smoke a bit last night, but I still hated it, it tastes terrible.

Starting to have problems with depression yesterday and I'm just not like that, ever. I'm thinking it must be the Zyban so I've been weaning myself off of it.

Still wearing my all natural patches tho, they work the best. I don't want to fail at this, but I've got to deal with the depression issues too. And I never know what to do about it, because it's just not my nature to be this way.

Today's list....Stand over hubby with a whip and get him to help do some things around here!! (lol)

Hugs all,

Nancy B
  11. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

finish cleaning the fridge
    make potato salad & cole slaw
    finish writing the grocery list
    shop for groceries
    stop at pharmacy to buy therapeutic pillow
    rest, take a little nap
    respond to e-mail
    go to a movie later, if I feel up to it. If not today, then tomorrow. I want to see Shrek.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  12. ksp56

ksp56 Member

You have all been so busy... I've been a slacker for the past week.. Having some depression issues.

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes! They mean very, very much to me!

I'm dealing with some issues from when I was in the hospital. Flashbacks, etc. Thoughts of our son's critical accident, and that has all happened in a six month period. Also, my dad's deathdate is next Saturday. I hate that it so close to my birthday. I miss him so very much. He and my mom always made our birthdays so special.

I do thank God for being alive, and especially for my beloved Kevin still being with us. Even if today isn't a very good one, I do have many, many blessings in my life!

Praises to all of you for always being here. What a special group of women, you all are.

My daughter is due to be here soon. My dear husband is buying me cupcakes, because I did want a cake due to gaining weight! I figure portion control! If I don't eat ALL of the cupcakes! LOL

Hugs to you all. Take care of yourselves. We all deserve that...

13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You ladies are a special group! Not sure what I'd do without you all....

Linda, I've officially given up trying to quit smoking this time. I figured out it was the Zyban (Wellbutrin) causing the depression issues and I had noticed them from the start last month.

That's why I had such a hard time quitting, the depression was taking over. At least now I know what was causing it. Also under the list of side effects was the need to pee constantly. No wonder it was such a difficult month!

Not sure if hubby enjoyed the whip thing, but I sure did. We got a ton of things done, like hanging curtains in my sewing/guest room. Looks so much better now. Finally got the last 2 boxes out of the house too.

Kim, I feel for you. It has been a very difficult year for you. I know the date of your Dad's death is coming up but would it help maybe to plan a special celebration of his life on that day?

Maybe you could do something in his honor? Plant a tree? Plant his favorite flowers somewhere? Anything...? Maybe have dinner at his favorite restaurant or at home with the family and talk about all the wonderful times you've had and the memories that you'll treasure?

Just an idea, but I know this is how I get by dealing with my Mom's death. I celebrate the fact that I had her in my life for almost 43 years (even if I am jealous that she had her Mom for 60)

If you begin a really good tradition now, it might help your birthdays because you'll be looking forward to the celebration of you Father soon afterwards.

Don't mind me....I think I just grieve differently, or choose to. Hope I didn't offend...

Hugs all,

Nancy B
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2007]
  14. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

It seems strange being on here on a Sunday. With the gas prices so high, I have waited until I had to go into town for church to get my paycheck and thought I'd check my
    e-mail and also see how everyone here is doing.

I love this group and how close I feel we have become with eachother. I like to think that positive things (like meeting all of you!) come out of difficult situations (our health problems).

Nancy: So sorry you had such a hard time trying to quit smoking. I keep thinking I should lose about 40 lbs., but it just seems overwhelming when I'm dealing with so many other health issues. Still, at least I keep exercising and trying to eat healthy.

I love having you to talk to about my brother. I'm so sorry your daughter's mental state has worsened. Her fiancee needs to understand her problems and how to help her if their marriage is going to work.

Linda: We've had a heat wave here in Michigan, but last night we had rain and it's cooled down somewhat. Yes, I've been busy with projects at home. I have the kitchen two-thirds done now and it looks so nice. It really inspires me to finish it, but wallpapering is hard on my arms and legs.

Kim: So sorry you are going through depression. But you have been through so much this past year! Try to be kind to yourself and know that some of what you are feeling is a natural reaction. If the depression continues for several weeks, maybe you should talk to your doctor about an anti-depressant? I've been on one for years and it's made a huge difference in my mental outlook.

Anne Theresa: I can relate to the neck pain. It's the worst area of my body. It is stiff and achy all the time. I have found that ice packs offer some temporary relief.

It looks to be a rainy day here. My husband and I are going out for an early lunch, which will be our dinner. He is going over to his sister's to watch a race so I won't do any cooking today. I'm kind of looking forward to having the house to myself.

Okay, on to the to-do list:

-maybe do more wallpapering in the kitchen (the end is
    -have husband help me put our humidifier back together
    after cleaning it out
    -pick up paycheck at work (done)
    -pick up two prescriptions

-we are having a new refrigerator delivered in the a.m.
    Our old one has been giving up problems for some time
    now-not keeping the food as cold as it should
    -continue wallpapering in kitchen after delivery men
    have left (I hope to finish it!)
    -tuna salad for dinner

I'll probably be back here on Tuesday or Weds. Take care everyone.

15. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I agree with the popular sentiment - this group is just wonderful, a great support. I feel like we're all sisters or dear friends.

I didn't do my shopping or go to the show yesterday, as planned, rather I did some housework & cooking and read a novel. I'm so glad my sweetie's an avid reader, sometimes we sit in each other's company, with our respective noses in a book, for hours on end.

So, I'll be out and about today, to the grocery store this afternoon, then after a nap, out to the movies.

There's not much that needs to be done about the house today. All is relatively tidy and there's soup & salads in the fridge for dinner.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

p.s. God bless you, Kim. I hope your spirits lift soon.