What's on your "To Do" list Aug 18 to 24th?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, Aug 17, 2008.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all!

I had a wonderful weekend and got a lot or organizational stuff done around the house. It always feels so good to accomplish something that's been bugging you for months!

I hope to do more of the same today or possibly get out and shop a bit and have lunch. We've had some beautiful weather lately and I do love to sit out and eat.

Katy's writing again, which is a wonderfully good sign. We had a nice long talk last night about balance in the universe. Yes, she's mentally ill, but she's been given a wonderful talent to express herself that most of us normal folks just don't have. She truly is gifted in this area, as many of the great writers were.

Let's hope she stays level on her meds long enough to get something done with this.

I told her I'd do some research today on publishing to see how that works.

Hope we all have a lovely week and hear from all of our friends.

2. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

I go back to work after being on vacation for a week. I was in alot of pain this vacation so I'm glad I had the week off or I'd probably be out of work right now. Had one day of fun though! Hope everyone had a nice week. Hope to get a massage tomorrow if my therapist is back yet from an injury:( See Ya!
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I feel like summer is whizzing by and I want more time.....oh well, I'll be OK. I'm like the kids....not ready for school!

Yesterday we took our daughter shopping. She is due to start student teaching and needed clothes. So this was her birthday present from us. She did very well and got lots of good outfit possibilities. The guys sat in a bookstore, so they were happy while we shopped.

Nancy- I'm glad to hear Katy is writing again. That's a good sign that she is coping in a positive way. You sound like you're feeling pretty good too. It will be an adjustment for all of you having your daughter living with you again, but you are making the best of it. God bless.

Linda- sorry you won't be around here much this week. I hope and pray that your mother gets better and lets you take her to the doctor.

Welcome, ColorfulColorado!

To do:
    I'm canning tomatoes that we bought yesterday. I can them in the oven, and it works like a charm. Very easy and good!
    Help as needed with car repairs.....I have no idea what to do, but I can be a gopher (go-fer this, go-fer that). My son's and daughter's cars are BOTH under the weather right now.

Take care, all, and check in when you are able!
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Good Morning!

Nancy: It's great you accomplished so much. It does make me feel better, when able to do so. Katy's writing...what a gift. I will pray her meds stay level. I hate it when I have to make changes. Hugs to you both..

Colorful: How GREAT to see you post here! Keep coming! This is a great thread! I'm sorry you were in pain on your vacation. It's a trade off. Hope you have your massage soon!

Linda: Oh Sweetie, does life ever slow down for you? I'm sorry your DH is sick. Now your mom, too. Bless you. I have heard Lyrica csn cause swelling in arms, legs, etc., Maybe this isn't the med for you mom. I read another board, and they had to put the woman on lasix for fluid retention. Be careful. Try to get some rest, along the way. Many hugs..

Teri: I've never heard of canning in the oven. I'm assuming it's easier? This sounds stupid, but where do you learn to can? Cool, your daughter is starting her 'teaching' assingnment (sp).. I know you'll miss the kids as they return to school.

Today I am having blood work done for my cardio appointment, next week; and my family doctor to see why my WBC stays under 'normal'. I'm such a hard 'stick'.. they hate to see me come in! LOL I tell them I'm fine..after chemo and all of the needles, I blew all of my veins. Plus, they can only use my right arm. Lucky them!!!

Hopefully, I will be able to see my friend, who now lives in 'Indy', this afternoon,or early evening. I was the 19 y/o dental assistant coming into to replace her as she left for nursing school. The rest is history!

We may go to the lake for a few days tomorrow. If you do not hear from me, that will be the reason!

Thinking of you all and hoping this is a good, which I know is different to us all, week.

5. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Hi everyone,

Today I finalized the flowers for the wedding and had my second dress fitting. I can't believe it's only 12 days away!
    Nancy, I am so glad to hear that Katy is doing well. Sending prayers your way that her "cocktail" keeps working.

Colorful Colorado, Welcome to these boards! I hope you find them as stimulating and informative as I do. I was welcomed with open arms to this thread. It's an amazingly diverse group of gals whom I've come to count on. Please post again!

Linda, I know it's tough to take care of others when you don't feel well. I'm really sorry to hear about your mom; she sounds as stubborn as mine. I don't know if I wrote that my mm was in the hospital again and now in rehab. Her legs had been weeping for weeks and she refused to go to the doctor. Finally one of her friends took her and the doctor immediately admitted her. It's hard being 3,000 miles away, but she refuses to leave her home. Stubborn mothers are a tough bunch. I hope you can get yours to the doctor. Thanks for the well wishes--I really appreciate your kindness!

Terri, canning tomatoes? Very industrious of you! Do you use them as a base for sauce? It sounds like you had fun with your daughter; that's really nice. You almost ended up meeting me-- we had an Alaskan cruise as one of our choices for a honeymoon, but decided to head to Spain for a transatlantic oneinstead. Someday! :)

Kim, does the doctor have any thoughts on why your red blood count is low? I hope they find the culprit and treat it asap. Where did you see the post about Lyrica and retaining fluid? When I upped my dose I gained 12 pounds in 2 days, my wedding dress no longer fit, and I felt horrible. I've dropped down 9, but I can still see that my hands and legs are still swollen.

To do tonight:
    Make dinner (turkey shnitzel)
    Get on the kids to finish homework (did I tell you my daughter started high school last week? I feel so old.......)
    Kids' showers/meds/clean up/get ready for bed

Everyone have a nice, restful week!

6. greygodess

greygodess New Member

Spent monday resting after watching grandkids all weekend. Enjoy the peace and quiet.

Tuesday: Dr appt and nature center

Wed: Cable coming so I have to be home. Packing for trip to Kentucky.

Thursday-Monday will be going to and coming from Kentucky. Might take 6 year old grandaughter. Still haven't decided.

Is there a trick to seeing all the replies? I can't remember every one so i would have to write them down to reply to each person. Godbless
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Grey, just hold down the shift key when you hit 'reply' and it gives you a separate page so you can switch between the two to see all of the replies. There's no way I'd remember everything without this trick!

Good for you for taking Monday to rest and relax...you're weeks are always filled with lots of busy things.

CC, welcome to the thread and I too, hope you come back and join us on a regular basis. Did you get your massage?

Linda, you need a break hun....I'm so sorry your Mom isn't doing well right now.

We just went through the swollen feet and ankles with Katy while she was in the hospital. It was horrible for her, she could barely walk and I'm pretty sure it was due to the Lithium they had put her on while she was in Landstuhl.

Terri, one of these days you need to invite us all for dinner at your house! I'll bet the food tastes amazing with all the canning you do...

Kim, please let us know how the blood work goes... I hope you get to see your friend and may you have a few wonderful (and quiet) relaxing days at the lake.

Lenore, so glad you could pop in and keep us updated. So sorry to hear that your Mom is in the hospital too.

Stubborn Moms???? Sorry, that really has me giggling....do me a favor and ask your girls if you've picked any of that up from yours????

I hope you have a wonderful time in Spain for your honeymoon....but please, take a minute for a long relaxing breath and perhaps a nap before you go!!!!!

Grammy, I'm so glad you've conquered the laundry monster. I think I might have to borrow that name. Laundry is just something I don't like to do because it's never-ending. But I might try looking at it your way, in a week instead of 'I need to get this started today' and see if that helps any.

And a horse? Wow, sounds like a beauty!

Yesterday I took Katy to the base to get a new hairstyle and it's really cute. She too has hypothyroid hair and it hadn't grown at all in the last few months, so getting some of that cut off made her look fresh again. We also stopped and had a really nice lunch too.

Today I'm hoping for a quiet day at home. Not sure what I'll accomplish if anything but I'm sure I can find something to do.

Hugs all,

8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hi all,

I think I'll post my easy oven canning recipe:
    Cut up clean tomatoes into large pieces. Pack into a clean quart jar and push down slightly to fill jar to within 1/2 " of the top. Add 1 t. salt. Wipe the rim of the jar clean with a paper towel. Put a canning lid (new- not used) on and a screw band. Now comes the tough part....you set it in a cake pan with one inch of water, set it in a cold oven, and turn on the oven to 250 degrees. Bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from oven- no peeking!

That's it- pretty easy, huh? I sometimes do only 1 or two quarts, depending on how much I have available. They taste really good. Kim, I never canned with my mom- I learned it on my own, but if you look up Ball canning on Google, you could get started there if you want to.

Lenore- I used to live in Alaska, but now we live in Washington state. But I have a married daughter still there, so I still feel a connection. Have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon in sunny Spain!

To do:
    Son needs an allergy shot
    Shop for daughter's birthday dinner
    Pay bills

Have a good day!
  9. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello friends and Welcome Colourful Colorado.

I've been living in hermit-mode, devouring books and ignoring everything else. My house looks the part, a bit of clutter to say the least. So, I'll do some tidying today before attending my weight-watcher's meeting.

To-Do List

- shelve books & tidy book shelf
    - swiffer & spot clean hardwood floors
    - sweep & mop kitchen/hall/bathroom floors
    - put dishes away
    - clean kitchen counters & sink
    - clean cat's area
    - empty wastebaskets & garbage
    - swipe & swish washroom
    - (later and with sweetie's help) clear an area for my niece to store her belongings

Nancy, thanks for getting us started this week. I'm glad you're doing well and enjoying Katy's company. I'm happy that Katy's back to her writing and hope you find some good info about publishing. I'm sure you know there's a link between mental illness and creativity. Many famous & creative people have experienced mental health issues including,

John Quincy Adams (US President), Lionel Aldridge (football star), Buzz Aldrin (astronaut), Alvin Ailey (choreographer), Adam Ant AKA Stuart Goddard (singer), Ann-Margaret (actor), Louie Anderson (comedian, actor), Gillian Anderson (Actress, Isaac Asimov (author), Diane Arbus (photographer), Fiona Apple (musician), Robert Burns (poet), Drew Barrymore (actor/producer), Daniel Boorstin (Former US presidential adviser), Zach Braff (Actor), Art Buchwald (columnist), Oksana Baiul (skating star), Kim Basinger (actress), Ned Beatty (actor), Syd Barrett (musician), Ludwig von Beethoven (composer), Carol Burnett (actress/comedian), Maurice Bernard (actor), Irving Berlin (composer), Danny Bonaduce (actor/radio DJ), Halle Berry (actor), Kjell Magne Bondevik (Prime Minister, Norway), Steve Blass (baseball star), David Bowie (singer), Charles "Buddy" Bolden (musician), Charlotte Bronte (author), Marlon Brando (actor), Willie Burton (athlete), Barbara Bush (former First Lady - U.S.), Delta Burke (actor), Robert Borrstin (political adviser), Lord Byron (Poet), Cher (singer/actress), Dick Clark (producer/music magnate), John Candy (comedian), Ray Charles (musician), Deanna Carter (singer), Helen Caldicott (activist/writer), Dean Cain (actor), Drew Carey (actor/ comedian), Earl Campbell (football star), Eric Clapton (musician), Jim Carrey (actor/comedian), Melanie Chisholm (singer), Naomi Campbell (model), Jim Carrey (actor/comedian), Rosemary Clooney(singer), Jose Canseco (baseball star), Shawn Colvin (musician), Mary Jo Codey (First lady of New Jersey), Judy Collins (musician), Dick Cavett (TV host/writer), Courtney Cox (actor), Margaret Cho (actor/comedian), Natalie Cole (singer), Michael Crichton (writer), Francis Ford Coppola (director), Sheryl Crow (musician), Winston Churchill (English Prime Minister), Nicolas Cage (actor), Sandra Cisneros (writer), Patricia Cornwell (writer), John Cleese (comedian/actor), Leonard Cohen (musician), Paula Cole (actor), Shayne Corson (hockey star), Judy Collins (musician), Shawn Colvin (musician), Jeff Conaway (actor), Ty Cobb (baseball star), Pat Conroy (writer), Billy Corgan (musician), Calvin Coolidge (US President), Bill Dana (comedian), John Daly (golf star), Rodney Dangerfield (comedian/ actor), Jefferson Davis (President of the Confederate States of America), Gaetano Donizetti (opera), Jonathan Davis (musician), Charles Darwin (scientist), Mike Douglas (TV host), Sandra Dee (actor), Walt Disney (entrepreneur), John Denver (musician), Dame Edna (comedian), Ellen DeGeneres (comedian/actor), Richard Dreyfuss (actor), Johnny Depp (actor), Paolo DiCanio (soccer star), Eric Douglas (actor), Charles Dickens (author), Patty Duke (actress), Scott Donie (Olympic star), Kitty Dukakis (Former First Lady of Massachusetts), Michael English (singer), Queen Elizabeth, Jim Eisenreich (baseball star), Thomas Edison (inventor), Ralph Waldo Emerson (writer), Robert Evans (film producer), Jules Feiffer, (cartoonist), James Farmer (civil rights leader), Edie Falco (actress), Betty Ford (Former US first lady), Carrie Fisher (actress), James Forrestal (undersecretary of US), Eddie Fisher (singer), Aretha Franklin (singer), Harrison Ford (actor), Albert French (writer), Sally Field (actress), Connie Francis (singer), Sarah Ferguson (Duchess of York), Sigmund Freud (psychoanalyst), Stephen Frye (actor), Shecky Greene (comedian), Barbara Gordon (filmmaker), Phil Graham (Washington Post), James Gandolfini (actor), James Garner (actor), Peter Gabriel (musician), Kendall Gill (basketball star), Ruth Graham (writer), John Gisbon (pianist), Danny Glover (actor), Dwight Gooden (baseball star), Tipper Gore (Former US first lady), Galileo (scientist), Carey Grant (actor), Mariette Hartley (actor/activist), Tim Howard (soccer star), Juliana Hatfield (musician), Ernest Hemingway (writer/ Nobel Laureate), Margaux Hemingway (actor), Audrey Hepburn (actor/activist), Olivia Hussey (actress), Pete Harnisch (baseball star), Linda Hamilton (actor), Stephen Hawking (physicists), Sir Anthony Hopkins (actor), Marty Ingels, (comedian), Janet Jackson (musician), Kay Redfield Jamison (psychologist/author), Richard Jeni (Comedian), Billy Joel (musician), Beverly Johnson (supermodel), Jim Jenson (newscaster), Elton John (musician), Ashley Judd (actor), Daniel Johns (musician), Naomi Judd (singer), Angelina Jolie, (actor/activist), Al Kasha (songwriter), Danny Kaye (actor), Leila Kenzle (actress), John Keats (poet), Franz Kafka (writer), Gelsey Kirkland (dancer), Margot Kidder (actress), Nicole Kidman (actress), Joey Kramer (musician), Julie Krone (star athlete), Pat LaFontaine (hockey star), Jessica Lange (actor), Robert E. Lee (US general), Jacob Lawrence (artist), Vivien Leigh, (actress), Peter Nolan Lawrence (writer), Primo Levi(writer), John Lennon (musician), Meriwether Lewis (explorer), Courtney Love (singer) Allie Light (director), Abraham Lincoln (American President), Rick London (cartoonist), Mary Todd Lincoln (Former US first lady), Salvador Luria, (scientist/Nobel Laureate), John Madden (football star), Meat Loaf (musician/actor), Camryn Manheim (actor), Martha Manning (psychologist), Gustav Mahler (composer), Alanis Morisette (singer), Howie Mandel (comic), Bette Midler (singer/actress), Dave Matthews (musician), Gary McDonald (actor), A.J. McLean (musician), Burgess Meredith (actor), Sir Paul McCartney (Musician and Beatle Extraordinaire), Robert McFarlane (security adviser), Sarah McLachlan, (musician), Rod McKuen (writer), Gary McDonald (actor), Les Murray (poet), John Stuart Mill (philosopher), J.P. Morgan (industrialist), Edvard Munch (artist), John Mellencamp (musician), Paul Merton (comedian), Kate Millet (writer/feminist), Carmen Miranda (dancer), Claude Monet (artist), Many Moore (Singer), Michelangelo (artist), V.S. Naipaul (writer/Nobel Laureate), John Nash (Mathematician /Nobel Prize), Ralph Nader (consumer rights advocate), Stevie Nicks (musician), Vaclav Nijinsky (Dancer), Sir Isaac Newton (scientist), Deborah Norville (journalist), Marie Osmond (entertainer), Sir Laurence Olivier (actor), Rosie O’Donnell (comedian/actress), Georgia O’Keefe (artist), Donny Osmond (entertainer), Lani O'Grady (actress), Eugene O'Neill (playwright), Dolly Parton (musician), Meera Popkin (Broadway star), Charley Pell (football coach), George Patton (US general), Jane Pauley, (journalist), Teddy Pendergrass (musician), Edgar Allan Poe (writer), Elvis Presley (entertainer), Ezra Pound (poet), Jason Pollock (artist), Cole Porter (composer), Jimmy Piersall (baseball star), Alma Powell (wife of General Colin Powell), Susan Powter (motivational speaker), Freddie Prinze, Jr. (actor), Roseanne (comedian/actress), Bonnie Raitt (musician), Burt Reynolds (actor), Lou Reed (musician), Norman Rockwell (artist), Theodore Roosevelt ( President of the United States), Joan Rivers (comedian, actress), Mac Rebennack AKA Dr. John (musician), Alex Rodriguez (baseball star), Alys Robi (vocalist), Winona Ryder (actress), Yves Saint Laurent (fashion designer), Sam Shepard (playwright), Tom Snyder (TV host), Monica Seles (tennis star), Linda Sexton (writer), Neil Simon (playwright), William T. Sherman (US general), Marc Summers (TV host), Diana Spencer (Princess of Wales), John Steinbeck (author), Paul Simon (musician), Lauren Slater (writer), Willard Scott (star weatherman), William Shakespeare (writer), Carly Simon (singer), Jose Solano (actor), Rick Springfield (musician/actor), Brooke Shields (model/actress), Rod Steiger, (actor), George Stephanopoulos (political adviser), Barbra Streisand (singer/actress), William Styron (writer), Charles Schulz (cartoonist), Teresa Stratas (opera singer), Sissy Spacek (actress), Dave Stewart (singer), Darryl Strawberry (baseball star), Lori Schiller (writer), Francis Sherwood (writer), Scott Simmie (journalist), Earl Simmons AKA DMX (musician/actor), Alonzo Spellman (football star), Nikola Tesla (inventor), Spencer Tracy (actor), Hunter Tylo (actor), Leo Tolstoy (author), Ted Turner (entrepreneur), Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (artist), Mark Twain (author), Peter Illyich Tchaikovsky (composer), Anne Tyler (author), Tracy Ullman (actor), Dimitrius Underwood(football star), Vivian Vance (actor), Meredith Vieira (reporter), Kurt Vonnegut (writer), Mike Wallace (journalist), Evelyn Waugh (novelist), Damon Wayans (comedian/actor), Tennessee Williams (writer), Dar Williams (musician), Ed Wood (director), Tom Wolfe (writer), Michael Warren (Canada Post), George Washington (US President), Lewis Wolpert (scientist), Hugo Wolf (composer), Luther Wright (basketball star), Virginia Woolf (novelist), Bill Wilson (Founder of Alcoholics Anonymous), Tom Waits (musician), Brian Wilson (musician), Jonathan Winters (comedian), Ann Wilson (singer), Amy Winehouse (Singer), Oprah Winfrey (TV host), Robin Williams (comedian/actor), W.B. Yeats (poet), Robert Young (actor), Bert Yancey (golf star), William Zeckendorf (industrialist), Renee Zellweger (actor).

Source: Psychlinks Online

Colourful Colorado, I hope your return to work isn't too much of a shock to your system. I used to find the first day back after a holiday to be brutal. I also use massage therapy and find it helpful to relieve pain & tension. I hope your massage therapist is available tomorrow so you can have a session.

Linda, I'm sorry your hubby's sick and I hope you don't follow his lead. Cold & flu is the last thing you need. I hope you can get your mom the medical attention she needs and that she finds some relief. God bless her.

Terri, your recipe for canning sounds good & relatively easy. Thanks for sharing.

Kim, I hope your blood work appointment wasn't too daunting. I have similar issues with veins that hide, the lab-tecks practically beat me up trying to punch a vein to life. Have fun at the lake.

Oh Lenore, I can feel your excitement - Twelve days, oh my. Please tell us about your dress.

Way to go Grammy, getting all that laundry finished - good for you! My sweetie does all the laundry at our house because I have trouble with the stairs to our (basement) laundry room. He does the washing/drying and I fold and put away. It's a good arrangement.

How wonderful that you're getting a horse! I love horses though I've had few occasions to be around theme. I'm glad you've found a way to decrease the stress related to keeping house. Pain & fatigue seem to ease when you have a peaceful mind. Take it easy with vacuuming and remember to pace.

Greygoddess, I hope you had a nice time with your grandchildren. I can imagine the need for a day-long rest after caring for them all weekend and I'm glad you were able to do just that. I don't have grandchildren but two young 7 very energetic nieces who, after a few hours of their vying for my attention, wear me out completely.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

10. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

Thanks for the "welcomes" it made me smile! Yes, I got my massage and then he told me that he is moving across town so I won't have him as my massage therapist any longer! He's the only one that can give me pain relief 1 hour after the massage! So, I have two more massages to get before he leaves on the 30th. I no I'm whining but its like your good doctor and then he leaves and now you have to find another good doctor and that's hard to find. He know's exactly where I hurt and what to do about it. I hope that makes sense. Well, got to go and do one more thing on line and then go to bed. Hope you all have a wonderful day!
    Take care!
  11. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Hi everyone!

The "shift/reply" didn't work for me, so forgive me if I miss anybody from what I just read.

Grammy, don't kid yourself. Many of us take a week to do what others do in a day-- just ask Nancy and me about bill paying! (wink to Nancy) I HATE vacuuming and have four "slaves" at home who do it for me. I have a shoulder impingement, so I make them feel sorry for me. This week I have done almost nothing. I had a car accident in June and was badly injured. My doctors have been saying all summer that if I don't slow down, I will never recover, and it finally sank in last week. So, instead og paying the bills, I am checking in with my like minded friends here..... (smile)

CC, I am enjoying your posts and hope you keep on coming back here!

Nancy, I hope you enjoy your planned shopping trip. Me, stubborn? Nah........ Long ago when my daughter was three and we had a standoff, my then husband said to my daughter "the only person more stubborn than you is your mother, so don't even try." Oh, I have news about Lila starting High School! She knows that I met her dad when I was a freshman and he was a senior and that I had the nickname of the "Freshman Bombshell". Well, she gets in the car yesterday and says to me "apparently I'm following the legacy." I asked her what she meant, and she told me the JV football team had decided that she was the "hottest" freshman on campus! Yes, she is currently locked in a tower to be homeschooled until she is eighteen...... ha ha ha

Anne Theresa, you are so sweet to feel my excitement. Only ten days to go and I'm starting to feel like a nervous 20 year old. I wonder if that is common in "near middle age" brides.......

The dress: Well, we are doing a very traditional ceremony, but wanted a kick ass cocktail party for fun instead of the usual sit down dinner. Our religion requires that we wait 72 minutes after sundown on a Saturday to marry--that translates to almost 9 pm here in California, so we scheduled 8:30 for a little ritual that ends our Sabbath, followed by Bob coming to see me for the first time (called a B'Deken). First he checks to see that it is really me (from the Jacob/Rachel/Leah story), then we sign the Ketubah (Jewish marriage contract), then he veils me (from the story about when Rebecca first meets Issac and veils herself in modesty). I tell you all this so that you understand that that we are having a very different casual party after a very traditional ceremony at 9 pm.

So;, ok, the dress. Our former Rabbi would have condemnded it; but our new rabbi (1 year) is more loose, so........the dress is a halter with my upper boobs sticking out! The veil covers them for the ceremony, but no way for the party! It's champagne and ivory, with beading at the bust and waist, very fitted to the waist, then A line. It has a train which I hated. My seamstress was able to "bustle" it permanently (you sewing gals would understand this) so that the middle of the back is ivory with curving cascades on both sides of champagne. My final fitting is tomorrow--I just pray that my IBS doesn't bloat my stomach tomorrow or next Saturday! I've eliminated dairy from my diet (miss my Activia) and it seems to be helping. Anyone have ideas about what to eliminate next? Don't say gluten yet; I'm just not ready. Something a little easier would be really helpful.

Thank you for asking about the dress Anne Theresa. Just by writing about it makes me excited. I'll have to post a photo after the wedding so you guys can see it (and Bob too lol).

Ms Alaska, where in Washington state do you live? I have a very dear friend south of Seattle in Bonney Lake; she's flying down here next Wednesday through Monday to help me out. I also go up there about once a year, so you may see me yet!

Grey, I know you posted but I can't remember what you said. I didn't want to leave you out so I'll just send cheery greetings your way and hope that you are on an upswing.

Geez, it's almost midafternoon here and I must pay bills, so to also do:
    make romantic dinner (just me and Bob--thinking china in the dining room)
    get my banking ready to go tomorrow
    do final count on wedding guests and check in with vendors tomorrow
    see the doctor tomorrow for my test results re: adreal tumor

Have a wonderful week ladies and smile at least once a day!

12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Anne Theresa, I wanted to thank you for that wonderful list, and yes, I made it through the entire thing. We went over it last night with Katy and it was great for opening a discussion again.

CC, I'm glad you got your massage, and I hope it won't be difficult to find a new massage therapist.

Lenore, your dress sounds amazing, what a hot Mama!!! Thanks for describing the ceremony, I'm learning something new every day.

And I have no doubt that Lila is the hottest thing on campus. Wow, doesn't that scare you a bit? Katy was too at one time...

Well, we shopped and shopped yesterday again but it was almost a bust. The stores have cleared out most of the spring/summer clothes but haven't yet replaced them with fall stuff yet. Made the trip much cheaper but still exhausting. And yes, we both overdid a bit.

So today, my housekeeper comes and we'll be helping and organizing all day. I need to go through more of my drawers and clean things out, make some phone calls and we need to start planning her room a bit more to get her out of laundry baskets and back into dressers (when we go get them soon).

Oh Lenore, if you could see my checkbook today you'd get a huge giggle out of it.....I must have 30 receipts stuck in it that need to be straightened out and hubby needs to take an hour or so to balance it for me.

And please let us know how your test results go...

The 3 of us have plans to sit down this weekend and make a list of legalities to take care of.

Hugs all,

13. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I have some good news! We had our appointment for behavioral services at Regional Center. The psychologist and I spoke for about an hour and a half. She gave us more services than usual. We will get:

ABA therapist 3x a week to work one on one with our son after school. Mainly to help with his behavior and non-compliance.

Parent training 1x a week

We are on a 3 mos wait list for Children's Hospital Autism Center. There is a 12 week program that includes both parents with their child meeting for one hour once a week. It is called Parent-Child Developmental & Behavioral Therapy.

I am so happy to receive these much needed services. I started this process last February and it will be about one more month til the behavioral help kicks in.

We are in a very bad place right now. My son has regressed since his strep/PANDAS medical ordeal in July and the summer being not structured like school.

Last week he punched me in the nose, kicked me under the dinner table when i pulled his plate away because he was eating during prayer, he punched me in the stomach a couple days ago. The bad language that began during the strep is constant, he is having difficulty sleeping and we have been giving him melatonin. We need these services NOW! School starts next week and I know although it will be quite a transition and change for him it will also help him. He needs the structure.

I just feel like crying right now. i hope you do not think he is a bad boy he isn't. He is loving and sweet and funny but he has spiralled downward. I am now thinking of doing the GFCG diet with him. I have an appointment with the RC dietician next week and when we spoke yesturday she was fabulous. I have really gotten some excellent professions to work with.

I'm so sorry I haven't even read the posts from you guys. I am just trying to survive and hang in here. Please accept my apology.

To do:

Pick up son at noon
    Open my mail that has stacked up
    Get my hair cut this afternoon
    Have my nanny take son for haircut

[This Message was Edited on 08/21/2008]
  14. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I am so behind on talking to everyone, but ever since I've been back to work I've been so busy. I've been helping out at my old job since they don't yet have a secretary so that's keeping me hopping and of course with school starting on Monday.... I did have a surprise when I came back last Friday. I found out that the Chaplain doesn't want a secretary so there went half my job. I wonder why no one told me? So I have my own office which is nice and I've been busy getting it set up, but I won't be busy forever once that's done and once my old job gets a secretary.

I did hear that the Social Work Dept. in my new building needs a part-time secretary so I am meeting with Dr. Nesbary on Monday to talk about that. He agrees that would be a solution to my problem. I also to the professors in the the Social Work Dept. and they seemed interested in hiring me. Nancy, one of the secretaries in the building, told me that they would be very nice to work for. So I think this would keep me busy. It sounds like they have quite a bit of work for me. So far I haven't noticed working the extra two hours. I think that as long as I am busy the longer work day won't seem longer. The time fly by.

Jim is getting out of the hospital today. He thought I was taking me home, but I again had to explain that I was working so Judy, his guardian, will have to do it. I took him home last time he was in the hospital.

Kim: Congratulations on becoming a grandmother! Or do you already have grandchildren? I am sure this is exciting for you and your husband.

Anne Theresa: That's okay if you just want to goof off. It sounds pretty good to me right now! I have a magazine I want to read tonight.

Nancy: I am so glad that Katy is doing better and that she has started doing her writing again. That's a good sign.

Terri: I canned a couple of quarts of tomatoes this week and froze some broccoli. I've never heard of doing it in the oven, though.

Lenore: How are the wedding plans going? I know the date is getting close!

I know I'm missing some people and for that I'm sorry. I also wish to welcome the new people, too.

Also, I'd like to say that things between Harry and I are doing better. I had my counseling session last week and the counselor said she'd call me about setting up another session, but I haven't heard anything back. Oh, well. Maybe I can handle this without counseling. I don't know. I do think it's odd she hasn't called.

To-do list:

-pool therapy class
    -vacuum hard floors
    -pork roast for dinner
    -read magazine and relax!

15. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hang in there.....you're a good mother. I think you may be on the right track with changing your son's diet. Sugar, wheat, corn.....all common allergens. For a while, by son gave up all of those plus beef, so he had a very restricted diet. For CFS, not autism. But I believe it can really help. I hope things start getting better for you and your son....I'm praying for you.
  16. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello ladies, I went to my first weight-watchers meeting on Tuesday and it felt good to be there, doing something positive about this terrible weight gain. I've gained 50 lbs this year, owing to the anti-depressant Remeron. The medication works well for me but the side-effect of weight-gain is depressing in and of itself.

With God's help, weight-watchers and my own hard work and determination, I hope the pounds come off once and for all. I hate the way I look and feel.

Determined to exercise every day, I tried to walk yesterday but I could only manage the distance of a few houses before I had to turn back in pain. So, I plan to use the elliptical machine daily (it's a bit easier then walking), at least until I lose some fat & gain muscle enough to walk a block or more.

This is new territory for me; I've never weighed this much or felt so immobilized by weight in all my life. I'm by nature heavy so 50 pounds on top of that is a horrible burden. I hope it's okay to share this aspect of my life with you as it is front & centre in my mind these days.

Nancy, I'm glad you liked the list and were able to share it with Katy. I found it amazing the number of well-known people who have experienced mental health issues. It's great they're willing to share this about themselves, it helps to counteract the stigma and stereotypes associated with having a mental health issue.

Colourful, I'm glad you had a nice massage but sorry your therapist is moving. I completely relate to how much you'll miss him. I lost my fave therapist a year ago and it took five or six trials (with different therapists) before I found a keeper. The woman I go to now is simply wonderful! I go for a 90-minutes session every 2-3 weeks but I'd go every day if I could afford it.

Lenore, I'm very glad you've decided to slow down a bit - good for you! Your dress sounds lovely, thanks for telling us about it. I love all the ritual that comes with your religion. I'm a sucker for symbolism.

As for stomach bloat, some of the ladies at weight-watchers drink a glass of water with lemon juice prior to weighing-in in order to drain every last ounce from their bodies. Apparently, water w/ lemon acts as a natural diuretic. I hope this helps.

Molly, I'm glad you're going to be getting enhanced services for your son. My heart goes out to you with all you deal with in this regard. Though his hitting you is a terrible thing, I know he's not a bad boy. He's a sweet child with special needs that manifest behaviorally. God bless his little heart.

I hope getting your hair-cut lifts your spirits a bit. I'm scheduled for a hair appointment tomorrow and looking forward. I'm getting my highlights refreshed and a trim. This particular salon is quite expensive but they do a wonderful job and they make me feel completely pampered. What I love the best is they bring me a lovely cappuccino to enjoy while my hair is processing. I'm a sucker for cappuccino.

Ellen, I'm glad you're seeing some improvement in your relationship with Harry. When you think of it, for a relationship as long-lived as yours & Harry's (or mine and sweeties) it's a wonder there aren't greater problems more frequently. It takes something special between two people to stay together this long.

It's certainly odd that your counselor hasn't called. I hope he/she phones or perhaps you could call he/she.
    After a good talk with my doctor on Monday, I've decided to sign up for counseling myself. I hope counseling will compliment my resolve to lose weight, improve my lifestyle and quality of life.

My workplace provides an Employee Assistance Program so I can receive counseling without having to pay. Thank heavens - the last thing I need right now is another expense. I feel very fortunate to have my workplace insurance (extended health care) even though I've been on medical leave for 8 years.

wash outside of cupboards
    damp mop floors
    make bed
    empty wastebaskets
    put dishes away, clean kitchen counters
    clean stove-top, replace burner covers
    make grocery list
    read, relax
    make dinner, salmon, veggie, rice

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  17. greygodess

greygodess New Member

Watched sick grandaughter on Sunday. She had a stomach bug and tuesday I got it. So we cancelled the trip. Took two days to come down with it so figured if hubby got sick it would be the day we were to leave. Which is today and yes he got it. Not as bad as me but enough. I am still recovering.

So I am just puttering around the house and taking it easy. I'll have to remind the kids not to bring the grandkids around when they are sick. I love them to bits but I seem to get every bug they get. Godbless
  18. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Molly, I'm so glad that all of your hard work paid off and that you'll be getting the services you need for your family.

And no apologies necessary...ever. We can all understand your busy life and trying times with your precious son.

Ellen, I hope the other part time work comes your way so you can continue to stay busy and keep your extra hours.

If your counselor doesn't call you back, leave a message if you'd like to continue your sessions. I think they're a wonderful idea, but I'm glad things with Harry are getting a bit better.

Anne Theresa....friend, you can talk about anything that's going on in your life. Weight is an issue we can all understand and medication weight gain has to be some of the worst kind. You know I understand after going through this with Katy.

I'm sorry you're in pain walking in your neighborhood, but please don't be put off because you can only walk the distance of a few houses. When you feel better, get back out there and try. Each house you walk past becomes a victory.

I'm glad you've decided that counseling might help you as well.

Grey, sorry the stomach bug kept you from your planned trip. Hope you feel better soon.

As for me? I overdid again yesterday just getting things done around the house and vacuuming for my housekeeper since she has a dislocating shoulder, poor thing.

It's the hardest I've been able to work in months since I tore my quad...so it felt good to get things accomplished but wow, was I tired after the day was done.

Katy cooked dinner for the first time since she's lived here so that's another good sign, bless her.

Today I'm hoping to limit myself to the list of phone calls I need to make. It's time we make appts with lawyers regarding Katy's divorce and our guardianship of her.

I'd also like to sew a bit and maybe make myself some new jammy pants.

Hugs all,

19. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Another busy day ahead.......

My boys are going to help paint the church as part of someone's Eagle scout project, so they are working this morning.

I have to call all of my piano students and set up a schedule for the school year. I really need to do this today, as people's plans are made, and then it's hard to change the schedule.

Anne Theresa- Hubby and I went back to Weight Watchers last week and are signed up for 10 weeks. I know we'll need more than that, but we both lost weight our first week- yay! And I felt good too, even though I was eating less. I loved your lemon water trick.....I'll probably try it!

Ellen- I hope you can keep going to the counselor......take care and I hope things continue to improve with your Harry.

Lenore- we live in central Washington.....can't say more than that. Sometimes I miss Alaska, but mostly it's my daughter and her family that I miss. Not the 40 below temps in the winter!

Nancy- hope you get some jammy pants made.....sounds like fun.

Grey- sorry about the cancelled trip. Yes, you'll have to put your foot down about babysitting when the little tykes are sick.....no fun being next in line. Mine are too far away to babysit, so I'm jealous that you are able to.

Take care, all, and have a good weekend!
  20. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Boy has this week flown by for me! It's been so busy for me at work and at home. I've noticed the difference of being at work two extra hours with having less time to get things done at home. But as long as I stay busy, I really don't notice the extra time I am at work, which is good.

Harry works so many hours on his new job and now that I am back to work, we don't see much of eachother during the week. And he sometimes works Saturdays or Sunday nights. So I am pretty much on my own in regards to housework. So Harry suggested we get a dishwasher. It means taking out some cupboard space, but some of the things I kept in that cupboard I didn't use that much so I can store some things in the basement and the rest I can find other places in the kitchen for them. I've never had a dishwasher before so it will be nice to have one so my countertop doesn't have dishes on it and it will save me time.

Anne Theresa: I think most of us understand the problem of weight gain, especially that caused by medication. I wish medication wouldn't have that side effect. Unfortunately, I've gained back a little of the weight that I lost, but I'm hoping not to gain back any more. It's such a battle and I am a really active person, too.

Grey Goddess: I'm so sorry you and your husband got sick. I don't have children and, of course, no grandchildren, but I remember when my nieces and nephews were small and catching their colds. Maybe you can reschedule your trip when you have both recovered?

Nancy: Try not to overdue it on the housework, especially since you haven't done some of these things in awhile since your leg injury. How is Katy handling going through the divorce proceedings? Is it a relief for her? I am so glad there are no children involved.

To-do list:

-stop at eye doctors to pick up new glasses
    -stop at the bank
    -buy postage stamps at the post office

To-do list for the weekend:

-wash sheets and towels
    -put fresh sheets on beds
    -water flowers beds
    -go to the movies
    -go shopping for a dishwasher
    -buy a basket for my office
    -read magazines