What's on Your 'To Do' List Dec 2 to Dec 27?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, Dec 20, 2009.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Not much on my to do list today, Katy doesn't have to work today so we'll probably curl up and watch movies today.

I do have a pr of jammie pants to sew for her, I'm still a bit scared of the sewing machine...

Need to shower and wash my hair.....

Happy Holiday Hugs all,

2. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Hi Nancy and those to follow!

Nancy, i don't blame you for being afraid of sewing machine! i would too. nice to not have too much on your list and be able to watch movies. hope you have a good day.

I threw my lower back (tail bone) out last Thursday morning changing my son's sheets (7 yo). I got to a new chiropractor right away. Already had two visits and able to move better but still a lot of pain. I have been using heat pad 3x a day plus epsom salt bath at night. I have been sleeping which is good. It was uncomfortable to stand, sit or lay in any position:( I cannot bend to do anything I need to do.

My son has Christmas break for 2 wks and I am glad. hopefully he can improve and so can i . i have extreme anger issues with the school. i have researched a psychiatrist and psychologist for ME and plan to make some calls in the morning (Monday).

We have a meeting set up with a crisis team from the Regional Center. So if my son has severe behavior issues I can call and get some help (especially when my husband isn't home). Theis is what happened to my back. i was carrying my son up and down our two story house and bending to change his sheets and do laundry plus my dog with lymphoma needed to be carried. i just cant do it anymore. We are meeting the crisis people for the first x so they can know our situation. I almost called them today it was so bad but fortunately ended quickly.

Honestly I am questioning God right now and why he gave this (son with autism) to me. i am in a bad place I admit. i am trying to use the break to improve my attitude. But we cannot attend many activities and are laying low for the holidays.

We haven't sent out Christmas cards this year and we decided we aren't able to at this point. The first year we haven't been able to. i am so sad but underlying that very angry.

Maybe my week will improve, don't know. It is hard. My son gets a needed break yet it is more unstructured and may be difficult due to that.

I have lots of New Year's resolutions on my mind and I've not been a resolution person in the past!

Hope you are all well. Admittingly I haven't been very attentive to the boards here. Gotta go do more heating pad, ouch!

3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Yes, Nancy.....please watch out for that sewing machine! I'm glad you have some down time today.....watch some good movies for me!

To do:
    Cards to send
    Make fudge
    Wrap presents

Actually, that's kind of a fun to-do list. Very Christmasy!
    Hugs to all,
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all

Nancy, It' nice you & Katy have the day to curl up and watch movies. That's my favourite kind of day. My sister and I recently watched Julie and Julia - it was lovely - and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter - another good one. I hope you have a good day and enjoy whatever you end up watching.

I can understand your fearfulness with regard to the sewing machine. You've probably developed a natural cautiousness since the accident so I don't think you need worry about a similar occurrence in the future.

Molly, I'm sorry your back has gone out and is troubling you. From my own experience, it seems the back is most vulnerable to 'going out' when one is under a great deal of stress (as you have surely been). This serves to compound the problem, adding physical pain and limitations to emotional turmoil and stress. Some would say an injury of this sort is the body's way of forcing you to rest. There may be some truth to this statement.

I understand your questioning God - when we feel overwhelmed and under supported, it's difficult to have faith and know we're walking in accordance to God's plan. He loves you and your family and He'll not abandon you.

Since you're intending to use the break to improve your attitude, I hope it's okay to suggest a method of changing one's perception that I use routinely and, in particular, when I'm in a bad place. Quite simply, I keep a gratitude journal. Before I go to bed each night, I write down five things from that day for which I'm grateful. They can be small things like something I ate, a pretty wildflower, a song on the radio, a hot shower, warm socks, my son's smile, etc. Because I know I need to list five things at the end of each day, I find myself looking for things throughout the day for which to be grateful and that in itself makes me more aware of the good in my life and thus improves my attitude. Please try this. It works.

I hope you get some relief from pain and enjoy the holidays!

Terri, your to-do list does sound fun! especially the fudge :)

To Do Today

This afternoon, my niece is coming over to continue working on the scrapbooks and I have to keep an appointment for a manicure. Aside from that, I have a few other things to do:

- vacuum and spot clean carpet (this beige wall-to-wall carpet that I thought was so pretty when we first rented this apartment has turned out to be my daily nemesis)
    - write insert for scrapbook
    - finish wrapping gifts
    - make dinner

God bless,
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Terri your list sounds wonderful...

And Molly, I have to agree with Anne Theresa's suggestion of the gratitude list. It really does work, although I'm not sure that it's the only solution for you, I do agree that it can help tremendously.

When you have to look so hard for the wonderful things in your day, you learn to partially ignore the not so wonderful things too...

Have you heard of the Therma Care heating pads? They're wonderful and last for at least 8 hours at a time. Very helpful not to have to change a heating pad all day or at night too.

I have no idea what I'm doing today. Yesterday I ended up in bed flat on my arse and just exhausted again. I guess Sunday's last minute shopping just wore me out again. (We needed a new router for our computers)

Hugs all,

6. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Good Morning all!
    Nancy-sorry to hear you are so drained. Thanks for the Therma Care advise. I am going to get one for today because we have a long drive in the car.

Terri-Your Christmas list sounds fun! Glad you are enjoying the season:D

Anne Therese-Thanks for your encouragement and ideas. I am starting to write down positive affirmations and place them wherever I will see them throughout my day to combat the negative thoughts. Not sure if I will do the journal just yet since I have a lot of writing to do to keep meds and behavior diary/data for Liam. I can't keep track of those diaries at the moment!

My son woke us at 5 a.m. and even though my dh was with him I tried to go back to sleep but became wired with anger about the school district. So I decided to get up. I had a huge meltdown and realized what my son must feel when he is out of control and angry like that. My dh helped me a lot and we realized that our marriage has become very strong because of the last few months. I will call the psychiatrist today. It took forever to get referrals and find out if they were on our insurance.

Our family is going up to the mountain ranch of some relatives today. We will be picking up MIL and BIL and drive together. My son loves going to the ranch. It has horses, hay to climb up to the roof of the barn, cats and kittens everywhere and a nice house with a roaring fire in the fireplace:) I am really happy we get to go. My son begs us to go all the time and he will have 3 cousins his age to play with.

Christmas is so magical for my son and he still believes in Santa so I am focussing on that for my joy this year.

To do:
    Celebrate with family at the ranch
    Home and Chiropractor appointment in late afternoon

Thanks all for your support and caring!
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I hope your time at the ranch is indeed a time of respite. Try to enjoy the kittens, the fun with the kids, and the time with family. I think it's like taking a snapshot with your memory....so you can relive it at a later date when stress is getting you down. Here's a hug, Molly!

I have gotten the fudge made, the cards out, but the last obstacle is cleaning house. Right now, my husband is starting income tax prep on the living room floor, I spent a couple of hours on insurance woes, so the house shows it. I like how the house looks when it is cleaned up- it's just so hard to keep it that way!

Anne Theresa- have you gotten to use your hot tub yet? I think you said your place has a pool....is it indoors? Hopefully so, since your summers have got to be short where you live.

Our son is home from Canada....everything kind of went kablooie. His fiancee had to withdraw from college due to anxiety attacks, so our son also decided to quit at the end of the semester. It was soooo expensive for him there, that we encouraged him to relocate back home. He is looking for jobs this afternoon, but needs to have more motivation to find one. He seems perfectly happy to take a few weeks off from the world, but his dad is not allowing that to happen, so look for jobs he must. But he is 22 and wanting to get married (although that may be postponed due to her health) so he needs to get some direction to his life.

Well, I had better get back to cleaning. Happy holidays, all!
  8. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Hi everyone

Well I didn't do so good on getting the Christmas cards mailed out this year; so I sent a special Jackie Lawson e-mail card to those who have e-mail.

I did get all of my packages mailed out complete with cookies except for one and we both decided to delay our exchange for mid-January

Tomorrow morning I have to drop off medical bills and will try one more store to find a certain gift for hubby.

My tree is decorated and looks really pretty

I still need to finish wrapping gifts--need to find my bag of those handy Christmas gift bags----I save them every year and just add ribbons again.

My house is a wreck--totally looks like the Christmas hurricane has hit. It is just going to be hubby & I and our fur kid for Christmas so I'm not stressing about that.

I'm thinking about going to Christmas eve church service tomorrow night--we'll see what the weather does :)

I had a lot of fun doing my Christmas stuff this year and I appreciated you all sharing my progress and giving me encouragement to get done what I did.[This Message was Edited on 12/23/2009]
  9. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Christmas eve. and I still haven't heard from my eldest son. I had a good cry about it (and other things) yesterday and now I'm going to do my best to have a good Christmas in spite of the sense of loss I feel.

My niece is coming over this afternoon to finish the second scrapbook. The first one is finished and is just lovely! Then - while she's here - I'm going to nip out to the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions and a few odds and ends. Then my friend is dropping by to exchange gifts.

My sister and I are planning to celebrate Christmas with some munchies, movies and our own gift exchange this evening. Christmas day will be low-key resting and preparing for my trip up north. Then, on Boxing day (God help me) I have a five-hour bus trip to contend with, a few days to enjoy with my son and daughter-in-law and then another bus ride home. So long as I can manage with my luggage/Christmas packages during the layover in Toronto, I don't mind the bus-ride; I have a few good books and my iPod is re-charged and ready to go! Hopefully, I'll feel well enough to meet the challenge of travel.

Nancy, this is an exhausting time of year for anyone and those of us with chronic illness are doubly susceptible to seasonal fatigue. I've spent the past three days in a flu-like haze, sitting in my chair mostly, feeling unwell. When my body forces me to rest like that, I always feel the better for it afterward. I hope you get the rest you need and enjoy Christmas!

Molly, positive affirmations are a good idea! When I quit smoking and needed that extra boost of confidence, posting positive affirmations around the house (where I would see them throughout the day) was an effective means to stay motivated and on the right track.

Just to clarify: the practice of cultivating gratitude does not have to be done through journaling (I can appreciate how many diaries you already keep), you can simply at the end of your day, call to mind a few things (or just one thing) for which you're grateful. It doesn't have to be a big deal.

I hope your back feels better and that the travelling to the ranch does not add to your discomfort. Your Christmas sounds ideal; no wonder it seems like a magical time for Liam. For all that your family has been through lately a magical Christmas is just what's needed!

Terri, housecleaning is on my agenda today, as well. My little vacuum cannot handle this expanse of carpet and the budget (my sister's & mine combined) will not allow for the purchase of a quality vacuum until the second week of January. In the meantime, it's maddening to have this lovely carpet that shows every speck. No matter how clean the rest of the apartment, all I can see is the carpet :(

I'm sorry your soon-to-be daughter-in-law is experiencing anxiety attacks to the extent that she needed to leave school. I hope she's under a doctor's care and is getting some relief. I hope your son finds a good job soon.

Beadlady, I like your description of your house being hit with a 'Christmas hurricane'. I'm sure there are many houses hit by that same hurricane. It's nice you're having a low-key Christmas as I am. Just my sister and I and our fur-kids - her cat and my bunny. I like the midnight services and I used to enjoy them when I was younger. If you feel well enough to attend tonight and the weather co-operates, I hope you have a wonderful time.

To-Do List

Set up Niece to finish Scrapbook
    Go to Pharmacy & Bank
    Visit with Friend, Exchange Gifts
    Clean Apartment/Bunny Cage
    Make Munchies Array

Merry Christmas to my To-Do List Friends!

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I hope everyone had a good Christmas. I know I did, although it started out achy, but I was determined not to let FMS have its way in ruining my holiday and later it was feeling better. I'm a strong believer in letting destractions get our minds off of our pain. Of course, I was busy the day before getting ready for Christmas dinner (we had Harry's family over at our house this year). We haven't done any entertaining in so long and I was really in the mood to finally do some.

Thankfully, Jim was doing well so he was able to come for Christmas. I also saw him on Wednesday of this week. He had to go to the psychiatrist's office that day and get his shot from the nurse. Plus, we also had our swine flu shots. They finally opened them up to the public. We had them done at the Health Dept., which was good since they don't cost anything there.

Harry and I will be eating turkey for the next several days since that is what we had for dinner yesterday. It makes it nice for me-no dinners to plan!

And now for my big news! Guess what Harry bought me for Christmas? A computer! It's a laptop! Unfortunately, we can't afford to buy a connection into the Internet so I will still have to go to the library, but at least I won't have to worry about getting a computer and I won't be timed anymore. It took me forever to get into this website today. Harry is here with me, but he doesn't know much about computers, but he did his best. I'm not sure what we did, but we finally got into the Internet! This screen is so different from what I am used to. I never expected to get this for Christmas. It wasn't something I asked for. I had been dropping hints for a digital camera and my 35-year-old camera no longer works. I know digital cameras aren't expensive and you can get them for around $80.00 on sale. That's what we got Jim for Christmas. Believe it or not, but I actually got my siblings to go in with us. My older brother is no problem, but I wasn't sure if my sister would cooperate.

This is the first Christmas since my parents died that I haven't felt depressed about not having a family to spend Christmas with. I guess it's because my own family is such a mess. So often when my siblings and their kids get together, there is a fight. The main problem is that my sister's three kids don't get along, although sometimes my sister's husband is a problem, too. Yesterday only one of my sister's kids was there because the other two kids were mad. Life is too short to spend it like this. They have been fighting since they were children and now they are in their 30's!

Molly: I think Nancy and Anne Theresa are right about counting your blessing, although certainly having a child who is disabled is not easy. I saw what my own parents went through with my brother. It certainly strained their marriage at times and I believe it aged them prematurely and didn't help their own health problems. My parents did go to group therapy, which I believe did help them. What they never realized is that I needed help, too. I did finally get some when I was older and had my own insurance, but I desperately needed it when I was living at home. Jim and I were always so close. I recently bought one of those "Chicken Soup" books. This one is stories of gratitude and thankfulness. But certainly you are going to have times of anger and frustration. But I would definitely recommend counseling for both you and your husband. If he isn't interested, then go by yourself. But make sure you find a counselor that is familiar with this type of problem. And they can charge on a sliding scale if you don't have insurance to cover it (which most of us don't).

Anne Theresa: I am so sorry you never heard from your son. I think he is being very selfish and thoughtless for not contacting you. I would normally say he might be siding with his father on your separation, except you say he hasn't contacted you in a long time. I am so glad you have your sister living with you and are not living alone. I think this is good for you mentally and emotionally.

Nancy: Was your husband home for Christmas? You didn't say anything about it. I hope you had a good Christmas, except it sounds like you were pretty wiped out.

Beadlady: I hope your holidays were good, even if your house wasn't in order. I didn't do a lot of cleaning in the basement (where we had our party). I mean it wasn't really dirty, but I used to vacuum and dust right before the party, but now I do it after. I figure it makes more sense. Now I just have to do it once instead of twice. And my husband helps me, too.

Well, I had better go now. I don't want to keep my husband waiting forever!