What's on your To Do List Dec 31 to Jan 6??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, Dec 30, 2007.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hello all and Happy New Year....

I thought I'd get this started this morning although I know many of you are busy still with the holidays.

I'm still getting started taking down my decorations from Christmas although yesterday I pulled out my new dishes and I'm excited to begin using them.

My list is the same as the last few days, I need to stop playing online poker with hubby (but it's so much fun and we haven't had much time for it lately) and get to work on my house!!!!

Happy New Years all...

Nancy B
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I hope this find's you all feeling better, for those who were sick, and that your live's are finding a normal routine after this hectic season. Guess that may start in a day or two.

Nancy, I am so happy you had a great visit with your 'boys'!What special memories to always have in your heart! How is your daughter? My prayer's are with her, and of course you and her family.

My mom has been sick, again. It's that darn influenza which keeps cropping back up, again and again, for those who have it. I've spent time with her, and am taking care of her beloved Westie, Chloe again. It's our zoo, I swear!

Went for my med review last week. Upped my mood stabilizer due to panic attacks, and I've been agitated and short tempered, also. She said we may have to change some meds around if I don't notice a change. Grrrrrr.... I hate that!

Today, I've put our house back 'together', after DH took down decorations. I dust as I go, so everything is clean!
    My cousin is having New Year's Eve at her home. We plan on being there by eight, and hopefully, out of the door by midnight. We prefer quiet evening's at this age of our lives... Wow! Can't believe I said something I heard my parent's say, year's ago! LOL

Tomorrow will be a 'zone out' day. We have a memorial service to attend, for a close friend's BIL, next Saturday. It's also time to have my hair color 'touched up' again on Thursday! Yippee!

Thank you for starting this thread, once again Nancy. I don't seem to be keeping up, with anything, at this time.

Hugs to all of you!

Here's to a happy and more healthy year, for us, and our loved ones!

3. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

I'm cooking tomorrow. Just for my little family though, or anybody else that shows up.

Hubby has to have hog jowl,blackeyed peas and turnip greens.

Only deco left is my naked tree and it goes tomorrow.

hugs4evryone; Enjoy those new dishes. I'm in need of new every day dishes. Can't decide what I want.

kps56; Glad you're getting everything back together.

I still have furniture to move back in place and all those things I hid. LOL

lindyl39; A "good" book sounds good to me. I've 4 I've started on, but so far none of them has roped me into their plot.

Happy new Year

4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

We had a fun evening last night- a few fireworks lit by my DH, a mean game of UNO with Mother and the kids, and I made some caramel corn.

Today my menu has changed: turkey, mashed potatoes, squash, broccoli and cheesecake. We decided to use what was on hand and that's fine. I like the turkey leftovers. I'll have to get the bird in the oven soon so we can eat around 1:00, if all goes well.

My MIL is considering a "trial period" of one month in an assisted living here! It's a major change of heart for her- we'll see if she does it!

Well wishes to all....have a nice holiday!
  5. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Nancy, thanks for starting the thread this week. After such a wonderful holiday, I'm glad you're able to slow down and enjoy playing poker with your husband. I've never played poker on-line but it sounds like fun.

Kim, I know what a hassle it can be to have your medications adjusted but it will be worth it, if the adjustments help you feel better. I recently had my estrogen increased and it's made a huge difference to my disposition, the hot-flashes have decreased, as well. It's all about quality of life. I hope your mum feels better soon.

Linda, I'm glad you had the chance to rest before having to dis-mantle the Christmas decor in two homes. I usually have mixed feelings taking down my decorations, sad to see the end of the season and happy to get back to normal.

Hog jowl,blackeyed peas and turnip greens? My goodness, Wren, that meal is not even in my food-vocabulary. What the heck is a hog jowl? Whatever it is, enjoy!

I had a wonderful Christmas! Sharing time with sweetie, my sons and daughter-in-law was a pure joy. Everything went smoothly, the dinner turned out nice and everyone loved their gifts.

Then, last night, Sweetie and I watched the New Year celebrations on television, as we usually do. At the stroke of midnight, we banged our pots & pans, made a heck of a noise.

My eldest son (who lives closer) is returning today for brunch and my niece is coming over for a while, as well. Then, in the evening, my best friend is coming over for a wee bit. Thankfully, I slept well and so I should be okay with such a busy day.

To-Do List

- tidy living-room
    - swish washroom
    - make muffins

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You ladies all sound so busy and I'm finding myself too tired to do much more than rest this week.

It snowed a bit on New Year's Eve so I'm back to being creaky and achy again....

And of course, I need to take down my decorations but....they didn't get put up in a day so they just won't be finished in a day either.

Sorry I can't reply to all today, maybe soon.

7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Nancy dear, get some rest and don't worry about a thing. The Christmas decorations can wait until you have a bit more energy. The cold & snow surely makes those aches & pains come out in full-force. I know how you feel.

We had a snow storm here on New Year's Eve and, though it's calmed down now, there's a ton of snow everywhere. Thank heavens my youngest son (who lives so far up north) was able to get home before the storm. My eldest son was snowed in and so we didn't get our brunch-visit on New Year's Day. Instead, I slept and that was nice too.

Linda, thanks for explaining hog jowls to me. There are lots of foods from the southern USA that I've yet to learn about. Over Christmas dinner, my father-in-law mentioned taking sweetie and I to Tennessee (next summer) to see the mountains. Perhaps, I'll find something interesting to eat while I'm there :)

Yes, I did make New Year's resolutions. I make them every year and - as long as I don't kick myself around the block if I fall short - I find them to be a good motivation.

1) eat 1 more serving of vegetables per day
    2) use elliptical machine 3 x week
    3) limit sweets to 2 per week
    4) treat myself well and with respect

Today's To-Do

- sweep and/or vacuum
    - make reservations for mini-vacation in April
    - make two appointments; eye test and manicure
    - clean kitchen counters & sink
    - clean glass & mirrors

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  8. littlebrownwren

lindyl39; Thanks for explaining hog jowls. LOL

I slice and fry mine. To me it's just bacon. I use a litle of the lard from the bacon to flavor the greens.

In the south,there's and old saying that the more blackeyed peas you eat on new years the more money you will have the next year.

I haven't recieved any windfalls yet, LOL

However I did add fried chops , cornbread and creamed potatoes to the mix.

AnneTheresa; we had a light dusting of snow here last night and everybody was standing with their nose to the windows.

Snow is rare around here. The only excepton being the blizzard in 93 and snow was knee deep in my driveway.
    Hubby had his 12 gauge shotgun outside shooting up into the trees ,knocking off the ice, to keep them from falling on the house.

You would love the Tenn Mts, They're beautiful

Didn't do any celebrating on the New Years. Usually go to church. Didn't get to go. Theres just something about praying the old year out and the new one in thats so special. So thats what I did, here at home.

"Ya'll" have a wonderful new year

9. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I'm back! It was so hard to get up early this morning for work. I've been so spoiled these past 12 mornings sleeping in. But at least the students won't be back until Monday and there are only a couple of professors around. So it's pretty quiet. We had eight inches of snow on New Year's and it's really cold right now.

Kim: I'm so sorry your mom is sick with the flu. That can really can you down. I hope she gets over it soon.

Linda: You had a quiet New Year's like we did. I also took down the tree and decorations on New Year's Day like you did-something I do every year. Although it actually takes me two days to take down the decorations. I always take advantage of the holiday sales to get wrapping paper and cards when they are marked down.

Wren: I'm glad Linda explained what hog jowl is. You can tell I'm not a southern girl, too! I've never had black-eyed peas or turnip greens either!

Terri: That's good that your MIL is considering an alternative home. I'm sure it must be a different decision for her to make. It would be hard for anyone to leave their own home, but at least she is considering it.

My husband talked to me yesterday about the difficulties I have at Christmas with not having my parents and being estranged from the rest of my family. He has suggested that we go away at Christmas (not on Christmas day itself since we spend that day with his family). He suggested we go to an indoor resort that has a water park and stay for two or three days. I think that would probably be a good idea to give me something to look forward to.

He said that he thinks we should make this a yearly tradition. So we are going to do this and I am already looking forward to it. I wish we had thought of it before. I really love the water and the hot tubs feel so good. And we can relax and read and watch movies. And these places usually have exercise rooms so I won't get behind on that.

Oops-here I go again talking too much!

Okay, here's my to do list.

-pick up batteries for our phone
    -visit Harry's sister's oldest boy. It's his 16th birthday
    -pool therapy class
    -bring in outdoor decorations from the garage and dry
    them out in the basement before putting them away
    -hamburgers for dinner

10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Ellen- I think your husband is very insightful.....how sweet that he thought of a special way to celebrate the holidays for you. Give him an extra kiss tonight.

Nancy- hope you are feeling better soon....spring is coming! Boy, am I optimistic! Don't feel bad about the decorations....mine are also still in full force, along with the tree.

Linda and Wren- I knew black eyed peas were good luck, but are green beans also? We ought to be very lucky then, since we eat a lot of green beans!

AnneTheresa- sounds like you're doing better now. Your to-do list looked more normal!

I have a recital coming up on Saturday so I've been practicing every spare minute. I'm accompanying different people, so it's not just me, but I have to be ready or I can make or break a performance. It should be an interesting recital....lots of weird music. Not my choice.

My MIL has decided to return home and take her chances. She has recovered from her bursitis but still gets around with difficulty. Maybe she'll decide to move out of her home before a bad fall occurs. We'll keep praying for her safety. She is stubborn and I suppose that's good.

Take care everyone and stay well!
    Hugs from Terri
    [This Message was Edited on 01/03/2008]
  11. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I can't imagine, Wren, living where snow is rare. Though I've been known to complain about Canadian winters, there are aspects of winter I wouldn't be without; snow-covered trees, outdoor ice-skating & hockey games, kids on sleds and the fresh, crisp air to name a few.

I'm sorry you didn't get to church this year - I haven't been in a while but have found at-home prayer to be as meaningful as a church service or mass.

Ellen, It's nice you're able to ease back into your work, with a quiet environment & the students away for a little while yet. The idea of spending Christmas at an indoor-resort sounds lovely. What a wonderful new tradition for you and your husband, a great idea!

Terri, I love to hear about your recitals. I used to play when I was a child and remember well the mixed feelings I used to have before each recital. I trust you'll do well.

I've been feeling quite a bit better these past few days. My youngest son left me something sweet to smoke and it's helped greatly with my pain. It was only enough to last one day but the benefit has lingered.

Today, I'm off to get my nails done. I missed my pre-Christmas manicure and so they're in dire need.

Afterward, I'll do the banking, then meet sweetie for coffee. Then, we'll do our grocery shopping and come home to an easy dinner (veggie burgers and left-over rice).

Before I go, I'll do these few things:

empty waste-baskets
    put dishes away, clean counters & sink
    make bed
    tidy living room

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  12. littlebrownwren

My'doings' have finaly caught up with me.

My feet can't decide if they're in a bucket of ice or in a fire. Spent most of the day on the sofa with funny sausage shaped toes.

Tried to paint for a while this morn, but hubby is off work this week and he was constantly talking, so I had to give it up.

AnneTheresa; We once had a 2 in snow when my children were small. Went to a neighboring farmers old corn field and of course we had no sleds just cardboard and whatever we could find.

My sled happened to be an enameled roasting pan. It worked fine. Too fine. I hit a stub of a cornstalk coming down that hill went air borne and my tail bone landed on the edge of that pan. Walked funny for a week. LOL

Ellen; I'm sorry you miss your family so at Christmas. I lost my parents in 79 and 83. Sometimes I'd just love to have a talk with my mom. In Jan 79 I had my first back surgery and mom bought me a bottle of perfume from the hospital gift shop. I never liked it but kept it because she passed away in June of that year.

It still sits on my dresser and still smells the same.

One day over a year ago I walked into my bedroom and smelled a strong odor of that perfume. I ran to my dresser , just knowing it had been knocked over, broken and my dresser was ruined. But strange as it may sound, the lid was as tight as could be.

Look around ,You never know when that penny you find will have their date on it or that certain smell that belonged only to them. It brings them close for a few moments and is a comfort.

By the way turnip greens are delicious if cooked and
    seasoned properly and they are loaded with good things for our bodies.

Vitamin K is a biggie in greens so people on blood thinners are not suppose to eat them.

Tomorrow needs to be laundry day. I'm about out of clean PJ's. Think thats all I'm capable of right now.

Alaska; Hope the recital goes well. A good piano player is worth her salt , as we say here in the south. It can make or break a good choir.

I have sang with a trio from church over 11 yrs ,but we are getting too old to travel any more, our voices are changing and so we just stay close to home. We have to practice Sat . Our services are videoed and are on the net, So we try and do the best we

Ok ,I'm rambling again. This is too long. Sorry.

[This Message was Edited on 01/04/2008]
  13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I just realized that I haven't been on much this week. I've spent my days napping in the morning and getting a few decorations taken down in the afternoons.

Ellen, I think I like your future holiday plans. Sounds like a wonderful idea to me.

Terri, I know your recitals will be wonderful. Those moments are always priceless no matter how they turn out.

Anne Theresa.....by 'something sweet to smoke' do you mean what I used to smoke decades ago back in high school??? Oh, those were the days!!!

Wren, I hope your little tootsies go back to normal soon and that your body feels better. You deserve a good rest for awhile.

Today's list is still small....

I'm in the process of putting my Christmas dishes away and only have a few more things scattered throughout the house. Most of my decorations are all in the spare bedroom to be packed up and stored until next year. Don't think I'll tackle all of it today, just continue to take my time with it.

Hugs all,

14. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My first attempt wouldn't post to this thread, and came up as a new topic.....I didn't intend that!

Nancy- I hope you're feeling better soon.

Linda- I had a piano student and his family down in Phoenix for Christmas. They have all their grandparents there. They said it was nice.

Wren- loved your story about sledding in the roasting pan! Funny!

I'm still practicing today to get ready for tomorrow's recital. It's not my students this time- it's a lot of accompanying for me. It'll happen whether I'm ready or not, but I hope to be ready. I didn't get much prep time with the music.

Take care, all
  15. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

It's almost time for me to go home. I've had such a busy morning here at work that I haven't had time to get on here until now. But I've got the important things done as Monday starts the new semester. Hard to believe. Where does time go?

Thanks for all your support and kind words about my husband. Sometimes I think he isn't listening or being understanding about my feelings, but then he comes up with an idea about going away at Christmas to try and help me with my feelings. I think it will help and I'm already looking forward to it even though it is so far away.

Terri: I will give my husband an extra kiss as you suggested! (as soon as I get over this darn cold I caught several days ago). Good luck on the recitals.

Anne Theresa: I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm assuming the marijuana has helped your pain. I'm guessing that is what you meant by the "sweet smoke"!

Wren: Thanks for being so understanding about me missing my family members. I actually do have some of my mother's perfume, but have heard that perfume gets stronger with age, so have been using my mother's perfume and three fourths of it is gone. Unfortunately, it is a kind you can no longer buy, but I figured it is better to use it and enjoy it. By the way, I also enjoyed your story about sledding on the enamel pan! That must have really hurt!

Nancy: I am sure you are feeling tired about all your company. Just take your time about putting your decorations away.

To-do list for today:

-stop and see Jim for a few minutes
    -get batteries for the phone (hopefully they will finally
    have them in this time)
    -spread outside decorations in the basement to dry out and
    then pack them away over the weekend
    -take a long nap to try and get over this cold

Weekend to-do list:

-wash towels and bedding
    -do some reading
    -pack away the rest of x-mas decorations
    -put hamburger in the freezer
    that's all I can think of for now

16. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Wren, thanks for sharing your sled story. I had a giggle but winced at the thought of you bruising your tail-bone, ouch!

I also enjoyed hearing about the perfume that reminds you of your mom. I love those mystical moments. Like a warm hug from a loved-one, they nudge us into remembering there is more to life than what we can see.

How nice to learn that you sing with a trio at church. I love to sing, unfortunately I've not been blessed with a good voice. I enjoy church services when so many voices are raised in song, then I can sing to my heart's content without fear of being heard. What I lack in talent, I make up for in enthusiasm.

Nancy, I'm glad to hear you've been napping and pacing yourself with regard to taking down the Christmas decorations. That's the best way.

Yes, I remember those high school days, when smoking pot was done for fun, rather than in hopes of pain relief. I don't get many opportunities to smoke anymore but once or twice a year, when my youngest son (age 28) visits, he sometimes brings me a little treat. In my teenage years, I could never have imagined myself here and now. Life sure is funny.

Ellen, it's cool you also have some of your mom's perfume. I use the brand my mom used to use, Channel # 5, and I just love it. It seems to be a very well-recognized scent. When my daughter-in-law hugged me at Christmas-time, she admired my perfume and told me the fragrance reminded her of her own mom, who also wears Channel # 5.

I also have a favourite incense (nag champa) that my sons associate with home. My eldest told me that he once walked into a party and was met with the smell of nag champa. He said he was instantly transported to my living-room and to his childhood years. It's amazing, the sense of smell.

Linda, I'm sorry to hear your mom is still suffering so much. I hope your pain management doctor is able to help her. I look forward to your posting pictures from your new digital camera. I need to replace mine - it's been out of order for quite some time - so I can post some pictures of my bunny. They're amazing things, those digital cameras and much fun.

Terri, good luck with your recital tomorrow. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

I've already cleaned the kitchen & bathroom which were my main chores for today. After a little break, I'll get a start on the rest of the list, some of which will likely be carried over to tomorrow.

empty wastebaskets
    make sign for mailbox
    draft new lease for upstairs tenant
    package unused costume jewelry for Goodwill package
    tidy laundry room
    look through cookbooks for new ideas
    pick out a movie to see tomorrow or Sunday
    shower & shampoo

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  17. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hello all....

Ellen, rest a bit before work on Monday, I know it 's hectic when the new semesters start back up again.

Anne Theresa, do you take a balanced magnesium/calcium combo supplement? I started one after I learned about it here on the boards and it took away almost all of my muscle aches and pains. I do still have joint pains, but the muscle aches are all but gone. (I've probably asked this before but can't remember)

With hubby home today we're hoping to clear the bulk of the decorations, repack them and take them back down to storage today. That'll give me back my guest room and clear the way to wash the sheets again.

We both have doc appts next week and I want him to get blood work done for THS. I think he may have become hypothyroid on top of everything else he has.

My daughter is still hanging in there although I do still consider her a 'day away' at this point. She too has an appt next week and hopefully that will help.

We'll balance the day playing online poker at ESPN. It's a free site that we've played at since the first week it opened a few years ago. I play of course for fun, but also as a brain exercise, keeps me thinking!

I bought my Dad a digital camera for Christmas this year because I wanted him to have a gift to open from under the tree. I found a Nikon Cool Pix for about $150.00 and it was so simple and easy for him to work. I didn't realize that he'd never owned a camera of his own before.

Turned out to be so simple (very few buttons to push) that I turned around and used his Christmas money for me to buy the same camera for myself and I love it. Hubby's digital is hard for me to work all the buttons and I can look at it and see 10 buttons that I don't even know what they do.

Anyway, hugs and happy health to all....

18. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My MIL has postponed her trip home due to bad weather. We were going to have trouble making it to Seattle, as there was going to be a snowstorm on the pass- something like 12-16 inches of new snow. She's now staying until the 19th and we're glad. She's safer here but of course, she misses her home.

Recital today- will post more later.

19. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hi Nancy, To answer your question, yes I take calcium supplements, also a larger-than-usual dose of magnesium to help keep me regular. I don't use the cal/mag supplement because my doctor told me the calcium needs to be taken alone, four hours before or after other medications. Apparently, this is because calcium adheres to other medications (that are taken at the same time) and causes them to be less effective.

Thanks for the info about the digital camera. I'm looking for something super-easy. I would, however, like a zoom function. Does the Nikon Cool Pix have that feature?

Terri, it's nice you have your mother-in-law with you for a bit longer. That's much better than worrying about her home alone in all that weather. Enjoy the recital!

To Do List

year-end filing (sweetie will help)
    tidy laundry room
    clean pet areas

We're planning to go to the movies tonight and so I'll need to take a nap this afternoon.

Enjoy the weekend!

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  20. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hello all....

Anne Theresa, yes this camera has a zoom function and just what I need to get the job done. No lens cover to remember to pop off, this one opens automatically with one button on top and it's ready to shoot.

It also has a large LCD display in back for me to see better. The zoom function is easy to use and it's easy to delete pics when you don't like them.

Terri, I'm glad your Mom is staying put for a few days. I always worry about people trying to drive in extreme weather.

Today I'm dragging hubby to the grocery store with me for a large trip. I like to stock up in winter so I don't have to go out much if I don't feel up to it.

We got almost all of our decorations packed up yesterday but neither one of us felt up to taking it all down to storage and doing that part of things. One step at a time...

Hugs all,

Nancy B