What's on Your To Do List? December 3 Through 9

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EllenComstock, Dec 3, 2007.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I didn't see the post this morning (actually it's afternoon-almost time for me to leave so this will be short and quick). I hope we don't have two posts this time!

We had a good weekend-I got quite a few Christmas things done. All my presents wrapped. I still have a present I ordered I'm waiting for, one to buy and one my husband has to buy for our nephew. I'm almost done with Christmas cards and some decorating to do.

We got the tree up on Saturday and the outside decorating done. I had my brother over and we listened to Christmas music, which was nice.

To-do list:

-lunch with a girlfriend
    -do more decorating
    -relax and read

That's all I can think of for now-it's almost time to leave. It's been a busy morning at work-almost didn't get time to get on here! Take care!

2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Glad you got the "to do" list going....

We've had a nice visit with my BIL, but he's leaving tomorrow to go home. He lives in Taiwan, so he has a long trip ahead of him.

MIL is staying until New Year's and she thinks it's too long, but we're glad to have her. Her house is not safe for her, so the longer she's with us, the better. She is almost 87 and her house has a basement, which is where her washing machine and dryer are. I'm worried she'll fall on the steps, and she's a widow, so no one would know for quite a while. She needs to move but drags her feet about it, so we can't bug her too much. I have a feeling she would be depressed without her house. Anyway, our home is all one level, so she's doing well here.

I am accompanying a lot this week, plus my piano students are preparing their recital pieces for our recital next week.....I can feel them getting nervous already! It's so hard to be at ease when you are playing in front of people, but that's what it's all about.

Well, I hope to hear from some more of you soon.....
    Hugs, Terri
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hi Ellen & Terri & those who follow.

I had a nice weekend, got my hair done and decorated my house for Christmas. Lovely.

Sweeties off work today and so we're just hanging out, playing with the pets, reading - my fave kind of day.

I removed all the elements from the stove-top and, presently all the metal bits and pieces are soaking in hot water & detergent, awaiting a good scrub. Cleaning the stove and fridge, changing the water in the fishbowl and doing some food prep (making strawberry & jello-cups, cutting up veggies for snacks, maybe bake some bran-muffins) are my to-do list items today. That, and more of the same; playing with the pets, reading etc.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Ellen...I am green with envy! Done with Christmas except for a few things! Good for you. I'm afraid I'm a grinch this year, but will do a few things for my mom, children, grandchildren. DH and I aren't buying each other gifts as we just bought a new RV and thank you very much, that's that! We will spend the week between Christmas and New Year somewhere in it. No phone, no bother.

Terri...Have fun with your students. I remember as a child having to perform in recitals...sooo nervous. Good you MIL is staying. It is such a problem when our parents get older. They need to move to be safe, but they resist it at all cost. I hope she enjoys this season with you guys and hope you can get all this worked out.

Did research on registering our 5th wheel. As we bought it out of state, we will have to do all the paperwork and that included physically taking the thing to the DMV. DH was a bit ticked when he heard that! (-:

Got dinner planned and partially ready to go.

Mammogram in an hour or so. I don't mind them, but we are having a heavy rain storm...I mind having to go out in this weather.

Pick up prescriptions.

Get ready to go to Bend, OR, end of this week to most likely buy a new/used truck to pull our new 5th wheel. Yet another trip. But, even DH is sick of traveling. That's the good news.

Take care all. Weather is definitely winter now...lots of you are in the midwest/east...bad snow storm there. Be very careful as you go about your days.

5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hubby and I had a great weekend...finished up quite a few of the small things on my to do list so the house is almost ready for our guests who arrive on the 14th.

My daughter is staying with us this week. Her husband is working night shift this week for some reason and it's better that she's here with us.

I'm taking her to the clinic this morning. She needs an EKG and fasting bloodwork and we pick up her new meds. She'll start them this morning.

The new doc is putting her on Ziprasidone which is for both schizophrenia and bi-polar so we're hoping this will help. She'll still be on the old med for another week but with the dosages cut in half. Since you're not supposed to take the two together, I'm really glad she's here with me.

So...I'll shower and get ready, take her to the base, water my plants today and just hang out with her today.

Please, if you wouldn't mind, send some warm thoughts and wishes our way that maybe this med will work for her and she can begin to live her life in a more normal way without the fears and OCD that the old med caused....

Hugs all,

Nancy B

Back from base and I need to add an arghhhh!!! They don't have the medication at the pharmacy there and need to order it. I have to call back later today and see if they can get 1 bottle from another base to at least get her started on it.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2007]
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

This is going to be a busy week at work-the last week of classes always is. So I decided to get on here early so I don't miss out on talking to all of you! I will make this my break time.

Sue: As far as shopping goes, just keep in mind, that I don't have as much shopping to do as the rest of you. I'm thinking that I'm probably the only one on here who doesn't have any kids? So that makes a big difference. Plus, I shop year 'round. I bought a couple of presents last summer. If I see something in the store and I know someone will like it, I buy it. It doesn't matter if it's July or November.

Anne Theresa: I'm so glad you had a nice relaxing day with your sweetie. I know you've been especially busy lately.

Terri: I remember when my grandmother was alive and lived in here own home and how dangerous it was for here. But she didn't want to leave her home. I guess no one does. I am amazed she didn't herself sooner than she did. She did finally fall out of bed and broke her hip. My uncle found her after she had layed there for several hours. It is scary. Good luck with getting your students ready for their recitals.

Linda: I shouldn't probably tell you this, but I got the rest of the house decorated yesterday! (just teasing you).
    But like I told Sue, I don't have as much shopping to do as the rest of you since I don't have kids. Last day of school is Dec. 14 and my last day is before my holiday break is the 21st and then I will have a 10 day break.

Nancy: I will keep you and your daughter on my prayer list. As you know, I can understand pretty well what you are going know with my brother with OCD. I have seen what he has gone through over the years and it's not been easy for him. I hope the new medication (when you get it!) helps to ease her fears and gives her a new lease on life.

To-do list:

-vacuum carpeted floors upstairs
    -pool therapy class
    -leftovers for dinner
    -finish Christmas cards (will mail on Friday)

7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Anne Theresa...our posts must have been very close because yours wasn't there when I wrote yesterday, but when I posted, there you were, above me. (-: Ah, cyberspace. Sounds like a lovely relaxing time you two had. I'm envious.

Nancy...will pray for your dear daughter. It must be so hard on everyone, especially her, keeping her medications in balance. My warm wishes for a good match and a good holiday season.

Lindy...decorating others also? You are my hero! My mother is almost 80...in about a month, but she is very capable of living on her own. So, we don't have to worry yet. Our other parents, especially Jim's mom who died a year ago at almost 93, did NOT want to move out of her home. It was coming to that even though we were fortunate enough to find a caregiver who was wonderful. Sounds like a nice day you have planned. Enjoy.

Ellen...Even without children, you are doing great. I hope the time flies until your vacation and then slows down so you get a full 10 days worth of leisure.

Spaghetti sauce on the stove, massage at 11:45, get ready for trip.

Lindy, you are so up...another road trip is about to kill me! But, my husband has promised that we will not go anywhere for a couple months after this. No, Felix gets to stay home as we are making a fast trip to hopefully buy a new vehicle...we need a newer truck with more power to pull our new 5th wheel. The old '93 is just not enough. But, it has been a wonderful truck.

Must call my mom as she is getting new carpeting today. Yeah!

Make arrangements for Felix...not too hard as we can just leave him with food, water and litter. Just want someone aware in case we get delayed.

Have a good day, each one. Merry Christmas to each.

8. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Aside from getting dressed (if you can call track pants and a sweater dressed), I've done absolutely nothing today. My busy-ness of the past while seems to have caught up with me and, now, all I want to do is sit.

I may or may not attend my usual Tuesday outing with my friend this eve., depending on what time she gets home from her appointment in Toronto (snow-covered roads & traffic being the variables that could effect the time she gets home). We planned for me to get ready to be picked up at the usual time, then if she doesn't arrive within 45 minutes, I'll assume she's too late getting home or too exhausted to get together.

1) Getting dressed (from track pants into street wear) and 2) Going out (or not going out) is the extent of my to-do list today.

Terri, I hope your piano recitals go well. I have memories of playing in public as a child and so I can appreciate the nervousness your students feel. The trip from nervousness to applause can be frightening for a child, but no other experience compares.

Enjoy your trip, Sue. I hope you have a good time. Your Christmas plans - no phone, no bother - greatly appeals to me. As much as I like Christmas, I think there's a little grinch in me too. Especially once the social obligations begin to occur (next weekend, already) and I begin to feel over-tired, it's difficult for me to feel merry.

Ellen, Your ongoing work with the school amazes me. Particularly during busy times like this, I don't know how you do it day-after-day. I'm happy to hear Jim had such a nice time, partaking in Christmas traditions. It's nice to share with family this time of year.

Linda, it seems you're making progress with your holiday tasks, as well. Decorating two houses is above & beyond, but I'm sure it's appreciated and looks lovely. I hope you can take some time to rest and recoup now, after doing so much work.

Nancy, I'm sending warm thoughts & prayers that the new medication will work well for your daughter (hopefully it will be made available without delay). It's great she's able to stay with you as she begins her new medication.

I'm always nervous - fearful of adverse effects - when I begin a new medication so I understand how helpful it is to have someone with you during this time. You're awesome!

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

9. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Did you, too, get caught in the massive storm that affected the mid to eastern US the last couple of days?

Good choice to stay in and keep warm.

The older I get, the more cautious I get with bad weather. Guess that's normal...probably helps us survive a little longer.

HOpe you are feeling better soon.

10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Thank you all for the warm wishes and prayers...

Hopefully we can pick up her new meds this afternoon and get her started on them while she's here with me.

She has a German class today but we're not sure if she'll attend. The OCD has become debilitating...

Hubby snored me awake at 4:30 this morning so I'm starting my day pretty tired already and hoping to stay home most of the day and curl up with a good movie or two.

Sill need to do laundry for both my daughter and myself.

Water plants...

Pick up her meds later...

Cook dinner tonight, her husband should be stopping by before he goes in to work tonight.

Still need to do a huge payday grocery shopping trip soon too.

Happy Holiday Healthy Hugs all...

11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I was up early as well, Nancy- 4:00- and I'll probably stay up. Too hard to go back to sleep.

Today I have some more accompanying to do, then teach piano. My mother in law will be helping with the boys' school while I am so busy. Thank goodness for her! Even though she is more frail, her mind is sharp. She likes to help with school and should have been a teacher.

Has anyone started holiday baking yet? I have to hold off, as my hubby rejoined Weight Watchers yesterday, so I'll be watching the calories (points) as well. It's a hard time of year to diet. I think we'll have a lot of fresh fruit desserts.

Take care, everyone and stay warm!
  12. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

This is going to be a quick message as I am leaving work early today in a few minutes (worked later yesterday so I could do this). Jim desperately needs a new pair of shoes so we are going shoe shopping. It's great to work at a place where I can have a flexible work schedule sometimes. They know I am taking care of a mentally ill brother and they are so understanding.

If we have time, I'd like to get Harry's last Christmas present. Then we'll have some lunch. I'd also like to take a Christmas wreath out to our parents' graves.

I'll look over your messages and respond to them tomorrow.
    Hope you are all doing okay.

13. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Well, the trip to the mall was successful. We got Jim his new shoes and I bought Harry's last Christmas present-a watch. But I left feeling exhausted as Jim came up missing. He said he had to use the men's room so I told him I would practice using the power chair in the area near the bathrooms. Our mall just started having power chairs with joy sticks for shoppers to use-so different from my scooter and it was hard for me to manuever at first so I told him I would do some practicing while he was in the men's room. Bad idea. After a few minutes, I decided to use the women's room and parked the chair. When I came out, no Jim. I asked a man going into the men's room to check on my brother. He said there was no one in the men's room!

So, of course, I panicked. To make a long story short, two security officers and I ended up searching for him up and down the mall. Fortunately, our mall is not large and it wasn't crowded. We finally found him at J.C. Penney at the far end of the mall. He said he was looking for me. I asked him why he didn't wait for me by the bathrooms and didn't he see the power chair with our coats on it? He said "no". He thought I had left to go shopping. I told him I would never leave him. Next time I will stay right by the bathrooms. I should know better as he has always had a tendency to wander even as a child. He really scared me, especially since he is so vulnerable to strangers. I have to remember that even though he is 51 years old, he is like a small child in many ways. I am just relieved nothing happened to him.

Sue: Good luck on your trip. I hope you are able to find
    a new truck. I'm sure Felix will miss you while you are gone.

Anne Theresa: It's probably a good idea for you to take it easy since you've been so busy. Sometimes I wonder, too, how to manage to still work. Of course working part-time and the fact that my job isn't always that busy makes it possible. Right it is more tiring since I am busier at home and work.

Nancy: How is your daughter doing? I hope the new medication will help, but of course it will be awhile for it to kick in. When will your dad and son be coming for Christmas?

Terri: The only baking I will do is with my girlfriend next weekend when we make Christmas cookies. With just my husband and I, it would be dangerous for us to have baked goods in the house too often.

To-do list:

-grocery shopping
    -pool therapy class
    -vacuum laundry room

14. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've gotten a few more small things done on my to do list for the holidays. I still need to get out more of my Christmas dishes since we'll have more for the holidays.

I won't be baking this year either. My daughter's been doing it for me since she was about 10 yrs old. She does a wonderful job and I'm hoping she'll do some while she's here off and on.

She just left with her husband, he's back on regular working hours now.

They've decided to immediately stop the Risperadone instead of weaning off of it. Poor thing and bless her heart...as if what she goes through isn't already enough, we figured out today that her nipples are leaking, enough to wet her shirt. (We were playing Spongebob Monopoly and neither one of us had a bra on) She had always thought that she spilled her water, but she wasn't drinking anything this time.

No chance she's pregnant since her hubby's fixed...sometimes you've just got to wonder what's next for her???

Ellen, that sounds truly frightening, losing your brother for a time. I'd be panicking too and I understand, I really do....how hard it can be. TG everything turned out ok for both of you.

Although I still need to do a huge grocery shopping trip, I'm hoping I can put it off until Sunday when my hubby can help me. I'm pretty exhausted after all of the errands and things my daughter and I have done this week.

Happy Healthy Holiday Hugs all,

Nancy B

I'm hoping one day I can finally remember to hit shift when I reply so I can remember all of the other posts, so sorry.
  15. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I'm sorry to tell you I'm in the midst of a horrid flare, with my neck (as always) the worse of it and this causing an ongoing, near-blinding headache.

My neck pain (with daily headaches) is always with me but this has been building/worsening day-by-day over several months and then yesterday & today it peaked. Of course, by the time my neck gets this bad, all my other problem areas (jaw, shoulders, spine, lower back, elbows, hands, knees, ankles, feet etc) have chimed in until I'm a big, ball of pain. Here we go again...

I've been alternating ice packs to heating pad to lineament to Excedrin (in addition to my daily long-acting morphine) to neck collar to physio exercises & stretches, and I've been shifting from sitting to standing to lying down and still I'm not getting a moment's relief.

No to-do list for me today.

Thankfully, I have today, Friday and Saturday (my sis canceled our annual shopping trip) free and so I can stay home & care (?) for myself. Hopefully, I'll feel up to attending a planned Christmas buffet & gift exchange with friends on Sunday.

Thanks for listening.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  16. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

In a RA and fibro flare

MY tree is up and my mantle is 80% done.

Too much left to do. Don't know if I have it in me this year.

Tonight I did something good or at least I tried my best.

I have a dear friend who has gone blind in the last few months due to chemo from breast cancer.

Her optic nerves are inflamed. Theres a chance her sigtht might return. Every now and then she gets a 3 0r 4 second view of something around her and then it immediately goes away.

I wanted her to see my cobalt blue and gold tree with its many violins and unusual ornaments.

I took her to my tree and took one ornament at a time off and placed it in her hands hands and described it to her.

I wanted her to mentally visualize it as she loves christmas.

I hope I didn't make it harder for her.

She is such a dear,dear person.

I need to finish my decorations but my energy level is way off.

Am spending the week loading up on vitamins and fluids.

I'll face tomorow when it arrives and see what project I can work on.

Right now boxes are still out everywhere in my LR and den.

My wreath is not up and my table decorations haven't melded in my mind yet.

Decided to pay someone to iron all the linens. They'll be ready tomorrrow.

Made my decision to serve dinner in my den as it is 27 foot long and can hold most all the tables.

Oh well ,as usual , Wren is rambling {The time of night I should shut up}

MY thoughts are scattered but I'm doing "something"this week" LOL

Hey, It's party mix time and time to make the fudge and pralines, creme cheese stuffed black olives, sausage balls, cheese straws and haystacks. Gotta work those in somewhere

17. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Ellen - so glad you found your brother. I guess we've all had instances of that, with our kids usually. I remember once in AK when my son disappeared in a large department store. Next thing I know, he opened a door that set off a LOUD fire alarm, and I saw him running like a scared rabbit for the front of the store! At least we found him in a rather spectacular way.

I'm not doing as much baking this year, because we both need to lose weight. I may do some cut out cookies with my twins, as a homeschool activity.

Linda- hubby didn't get put on the BP medication yet. I was surprised- the doctor gave him another chance to lose weight. It will be a challenge this time of year, to be sure!

Wren- my goodness, that's quite a lot of food preparation to do! I have a feeling that you enjoy cooking a lot!

Take care all,
  18. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

This has been one stressful week for me. It's been so busy at work and home. Here I am talking to all of you when I should be working, but I really need to talk to you. I felt so stressed out when I got home from the grocery store yesterday. I had asked my husband to do one small thing for me, and when it wasn't done, I really lost it. I don't usually yell at him like that or talk to him like that, but I really lost it.

Later I felt really bad because he was in the middle of washing his and my clothes. And he was putting the snow blade on our riding lawn mower. So it wasn't like he wasn't doing anything. And he did help me bring in groceries. I guess I was just on overload. We've had several things go wrong at work this week and with it being busy and the holidays coming...well, you get the picture. Losing Jim at the mall didn't help either. I am so looking forward to this weekend and to my 10-day Christmas break! Thanks for letting me vent!

Linda: I am happy to say that my Christmas cards are done and going in the mail today! Like you, I put letters in some of them. I'm sorry you are in a blue mood. Feel free to vent here like I just did!

Wren: Sounds like you could own your own baking shop. I used to do more baking, but with just my husband me, we don't need to sit around and eat baked goods all the time. Not good for the waistline.

Terri: That must have really scared your son when the alarm went off, but at least you found him!

Anne Theresa: I'm so sorry you are having neck pain. My neck hurts all the time, but sometimes I have a flare-up when it really hurts so I can understand what you are going through. I hope the pain eases for you soon.

Nancy: Does your daughter's doctor know her nipples are leaking? The constant worry about her must be so hard on you. It's great that she likes to bake. I always try to encourage Jim to do activities that he enjoys. In his case he loves listening to music.

To-do list for today:

-stop at post office to mail Christmas cards and a package
    -stop at the Hope Center to see Jim for a minute
    -wash bedding and towels
    -relax and read

To-do list for weekend:

-Jim is coming over so we can watch Christmas videos
    together (Rudolph, Charlie Brown and the Grinch-it's a
    tradition we do)
    -go to the theatre on Sunday to see the movie "Awake" (sounds like a good one, Linda!)
    -clean sinks

19. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Linda, feel free to vent anytime...no problem, I think we all need to sometimes.

I've spent all afternoon on the phone with my daughter....

Ellen, yes the doc knows and both the Risperadone and the Prozac can cause the nipples to leak. If there's strange symptoms for a medication, you can almost bet my daughter will get the oddest ones.

Last night the doc told my daughter to just stop the Risperadone...big mistake, we've had a rough afternoon but my daughter is safe. She called her husband, doc and me and we've managed to work through this crisis.

She's being put back on the Risperadone for 2 weeks to wean more slowly...I think any of us could have guessed that just stopping a med like this wouldn't work out well.

Her husband is on his way to her from work, he left early, picked up the meds here and will be with her all weekend again.

Anne Theresa, I'm sorry you're in so much pain. Wish I could think of something to help you out. I use the Therma-Care heat pads that last 8 or 9 hours when I feel like you do. I've been known to wear 2 or 3 at a time too!!

Ellen, don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes we keep so much in that it has to come out at some point. Seems like there's never a good time though. I know this last week at work is exhausting for you.

Try to remember to take care of yourself too everyone during this busy holiday time.

Take a bath, read a book, curl up in bed with a good Christmas movie...relax...we all need it.

Hugs all,

Nancy B
  20. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello friends,

I've been resting through this flare, alternating ice packs with heating pad and watching lots of television.

On the agenda today: more rest and self-care.

I'm going to continue to take it slow & easy over the weekend. Then, since I can't stay in bed forever, I'll write a to-do list (with small goals) on Monday.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa