What's on your 'To Do List' Feb 18-24?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, Feb 17, 2008.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....thought I'd go ahead and get this thread started for the week.

Hubby's off today since it's a holiday and we really need to get some groceries in.

I also decided last night after waking up in extreme pain again that we might need to go shop for a new mattress today too. Hate doing it, but it might buy me a yr or two of better sleep.

My daughter is moving in today for the week that her husband will be away. She's bringing her bird and cat who happens to have a poopy butt this week, so that should be fun.

Hubby and I have been enjoying our online poker games this weekend and have been having a blast doing it. You get to know some very funny folks after awhile and the laughter is always the best medicine for what ails you....

Let's hope for a calm, peaceful and pain free week for all!

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2008]
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I'm sorry I never made it over to the library to check in on everyone, but with having my brother over, it made for a busier weekend. Harry picked up Jim on Friday for me so I could concentrate on getting the dinner ready. The day was busier than we had planned as Meals on Wheels had called the day before and asked Harry is he could do a route for them on Friday morning. So he said he could and we ate after he got back.

So we had a nice turkey dinner. I've been wanting to have them over before my father-in-law's heart surgery on March 3. He has to have a heart valve either repaired or replaced. They won't know until they get in there. Except for the valve, his heart and the rest of him is in good health. So we are not expecting any problems.

Jim spent Friday night with us and I took him back on Saturday afternoon. On Sunday morning my sister-in-law called and said she wanted all of us to go over to my in-laws house for an impromptu get together. She's one for last-minute get togethers. I had planned to have a quiet day to myself on Sunday. Harry was going to watch a race, which I don't care about. So we went over there for awhile in the afternoon. Next weekend I plan to have a much quieter weekend. Then when I got home, I didn't really have any quiet time as my brother, Tom, called. And then two friends called. I really don't like to have every day so busy.

So there went my quiet day reading and spending time by myself although it's always nice to hear from relatives and friends.

Terri: That was a cute story about the boys getting candy to the girls. Wasn't your son mad at his brother for telling on him? That reminds me of the time when I had a crush on a boy at school. I slipped a love note in his locker, but I didn't sign it. I was too shy to put my name on it. I was afraid he wouldn't like me back and would laugh. My girlfriend, Mary Ann, was the lookout in the hallway to make sure he didn't see me do this.

Linda: I know what you mean about being busy and really feeling it afterward. My weekend was so busy and today I'm feeling pretty tired. I would love to take a nap! I'm not feeling any pain like you are, though.

Nancy: Thanks for your concern about Jim and changing meds. If his weight has gone up some, I'm thinking it can't have gone up too much with the group home cutting back on his portions and he's not eating all the snacks he was. And they have been making sure he does his exercises. I've been watching what he eats when he and I go out to eat. I may have to plead his case if she wants to stop the Seroquel. I think we can stop the weight gain if given more time.

To-do list:

-grocery shopping (small list this time, thank goodness)
    -leftovers for dinner

3. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Hi all,

I noticed this thread for the past few weeks. I also noticed that lots of you know each other through the thread and board. I think the idea behind it is to encourage people to make manageable to do lists and then talk about their follow through. Am I correct?

I would like to join you guys if you are open to new people. I have lists scattered all over my desk starting from the beginning of the year that don't have everything crossed off. The last time I didn't pay a bill on time was 22 years ago; yet I haven't had the wherewithal to pay bills and for the first time in my life the phone bill is late. The money is sitting right there in the checking account; and I am sitting right here typing on the board instead.

Do you think you guys can help me? It's not laziness-- it's just all the things that get in the way, minor emergencies that crop up (I'm a mom of 3, two with special needs), and fog when I'm ready so I'm afraid I'll screw up the process and wreck my checkbook.

Thanks for listening,
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hello all....

Lenore, please feel free to join this thread, any and all are welcome here. It does help to list our plans for the day although since we're all sick here, we're just doing our best to keep up with them.

And you've reminded me that I need to do some checkbook work as well. Since January was a 3 payday month, I've gotten a bit lazy and haven't even added last week's paycheck into our acct.

Hubby and I managed to go mattress and grocery shopping yesterday. It took one hour, $1,000.00 and we were done! Bed gets delivered on Thursday. Now you know why I need to add the last payday in my checkbook!

Ellen, I know what you mean about the busy days. I almost get resentful when I have too much to do, although I often enjoy it when it's all said and done.

Today my daughter is coming with the pets. They decided to wait until this morning and come all at one time.

I need to water my plants today since I forgot yesterday with the holiday and hubby home.

I also have many little 'things' around the house to do. Just little stuff that will make me feel better once I get them done.

Hugs all,

And btw, I think it was Linda who asked about the online free poker. Hubby and I are members of ESPN.com poker club and it's a blast. I've met so many nice folks, and have had so much fun playing there for the past 4 yrs.

It's free, no money whatsoever...and for me personally, it helps me work my brain. And I've improved my poker game so much too which is always fun.[This Message was Edited on 02/19/2008]
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Well, I've made a decision. If I really am going to be serious about losing weight, I think I have to exercise every day. Right now I exercise four times a week. If I could exercise two to three times more I think it would make a big difference in my waistline. I feel better just in the small amount of weight I have lost.

Of course I wonder if this amount of exercise will be too much and bring on a flare-up. I seem to be able to be quite active and not have it affect my FMS. It is such a challenge to lose weight when you have FMS. I had thought of breaking up my exercising on some days-15 minutes earlier in the day and 15 minutes later on. Maybe less of a chance of a flare-up?

One reason I need to lose weight is to lower my risk of diabetes. My mother was diabetic. The last time I had my blood sugar tested it was in the higher range. I plan to get my blood sugar tested this summer and want to lose weight first. I know even a small amount of weight lost will help. I will be so devastated if I am diabetic. The last thing I need is another health problem. I don't know exactly how much I weigh right now, but I think it's somewhere in the 190's. When I lose more weight I'll ask my doctor where I started at.

Lenore: You are definitely welcomed here! We try to help eachother keep organized, but we also support eachother in other ways, too. You are free to talk about anything that is going on in your life, too.

Nancy: I don't know anything about poker, but it sounds like you are having a lot of fun with it. I think it's a great outlet for you and you really need that.

To-do list:

-FMS doctor appt.
    -get gas for the car
    -vacuum carpet upstairs
    -get caught up with ironing
    -long nap
    -TV dinners tonight

6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Welcome, Lenore! Yes, we make little lists, but we do chat a lot as well.....

Nancy- I hope the cat does not have "a poopy butt" while at your house....does it have a problem??? Maybe you'll at least get some good sleep, since you'll have your new mattress.

Ellen- I know what you mean about having your "time" alone. My husband teases me, that I need my "alone time" or I'm grumpy. It's true- except my time is usually early in the morning at the computer!

Linda- yes, my son was a bit miffed at the other brother for telling who gave the Valentine candy! He was thinking the whole thing had blown over, but he went to a church lock-in Friday night, and two girls "interviewed" him about his not-so-secret crush! He was not happy about it...but he had fun at the lock-in!

We will be out of town for several days....going with hubby on business. But I will try to find a computer so I can check in with you guys!

7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

The past few days, I've felt woozy/nauseas from the medication withdrawal but I'm hopeful that the change will help me feel better in the long run.

Sometimes it seems just shaking up the medication cocktail can have a positive effect and, since I've been on this present mix of drugs for such a long time, a change may be just what I need. I hope so much for improvement.

Nancy, I hope you have a good week with your daughter and that all goes well for her. I'm glad you got a new mattress and hope it alleviates your pain.

Linda, I'm glad you had a nice long-weekend and visit with your mom. It's easy to over-do so be sure to get some rest.

Ellen, I'm glad your dinner went well, though it's too bad you didn't get the quiet time you were hoping to have. I wish you the best with your resolve to exercise daily. I like your idea of splitting an exercise session into two parts. I expect this approach could very well minimize the risk of an exercise-induced flare.

Terri, enjoy your time away and take good care. I loved reading about your sons' Valentine's Day, it brought back many happy memories of my own sons' at that age.

Lenore, welcome! I'm sure you'll find participating here a good way to keep yourself organized as well as make friends. I look forward to reading your posts.

To-Do List

dust bedroom
    clean washroom
    make two phone calls
    shower & shampoo
    rice pilaf & fish for dinner
    visit/outing with friend

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

So far, this visit with my daughter is going well. She's keeping herself busy, is in great spirits and continues to write her book. Very well thought out too, and we toss ideas back and forth for the character's life.

Not sure, but we might get out for a bit today just to do a little something.

Ellen, I hope your exercise plans go well. I know for me personally, when I started eating 7 times a day in very small meals, I lost 20 pounds without even trying and at the time was too sick to exercise.

Anne Theresa, changing AD's can be very difficult so I hope this change helps you.

Linda, sorry about your fall and I hope the pain gets better soon.

And about the poker...I had never played Texas Hold Em in my life before I signed onto this site, yet became very good at it within a few months. It's just in the last few weeks that hubby's caught on and listened to my lessons and has become quite good himself. (I'm sure that was frustrating!)

Terri, hope you enjoy your trip with your husband...and yes, the cat's had a poopy butt again already. But they ran out of food recently and had to go to a German store and buy some. Quick switches in food are never a good idea. I'm hoping that's all it is.

I did manage to get some of my windows cleaned yesterday, that's been bothering me for awhile now. Maybe a few more today?

Hugs all,

9. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I have some wonderful news! I have now lost 19 pounds! I wouldn't normally have been weighed yesterday at the doctors, but I asked them to. I am so glad I did! My husband told me this morning that I am looking a little thinner! I am feeling better, too!

My husband drove me into work this morning as our car has been acting a little strange when we try and start it sometimes. We didn't think it was going to start when we were going to the doctor's yesterday. So he is at the garage right now while I am here at work. Hopefully they can figure it out.

This afternoon is Jim's doctor appt. I hope all goes well and Jim hasn't put on any more weight so that his doctor doesn't take him off the Seroquel, which has helped him so much. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Terri: Enjoy your trip away with your husband. I am assuming the boys are going along. Hopefully you can find a computer so we will be hearing from you.

Anne Theresa: I am so sorry that this medication withdrawal has brought on whoozy and nausea feelings. Definitely not fun. But I hope it helps you out in the long run.

Linda: Don't feel embarrassed about falling on your tailbone. We've all done silly things. That must have really hurt. I'm sure you've been sitting on the heating pad a lot the past week. I hope it gets better soon. You certainly were a faithful exerciser for 15 years. I can't imagine exercising for an hour a day for six days a week! I've been exercising since my early twenties, but have averaged around four days a week for 35 minutes a day during all this time.

Nancy: I hope your new mattress helps your pain. I know when we went mattress shopping a few years ago, I layed down on everything they had in the store and we bought what I thought what was the most comfortable. Money was of no concern. I'm so glad your daughter is doing better. It certainly is a good sign that she has gone back to writing her book. Yes, I have heard that eating small meals in a day is good for losing weight or just good in general. It's good for keeping us from overeating.

To-do list:

-call dentist's office
    -get prescription filled
    -Jim's doctor appt.
    -vacuum kitchen and bathroom
    -put away yesterday's dishes (done)
    -vacuum basement
    -type a letter to put in a friend's birthday card (done)

10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I meant to say on my first post that I will not be at work next week as it is mid-semester break and I have decided to take it off to use up more of my vacation time that I have so much of.

But I plan to go over to the library at least once during the week to check in here and see what everyone is doing. We don't really have any special plans, but I'm sure I won't get bored. I would like to get started on my spring cleaning and plan to get one bedroom done.

Of course I don't want to spend all the time cleaning and plan to have some rest and relaxation time. I should be here tomorrow, but just wanted to let everyone know so you don't worry about me.

11. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Yesterday, I didn't get anywhere with my to-do list. I even canceled my Tuesday night outing in favour of staying home in p.j.'s. I'm feeling marginally better today so I should be able to get caught up.

My main priority is a shower & shampoo; I feel terribly grungy from all the liniment I've been using on my neck & lower back. If I do nothing else but shower & shampoo, I'll consider it a productive day.

One good thing that happened yesterday is that sweetie's father called and asked me to phone his sister who has been in severe pain (arthritis, disk problems) and doesn't know where to turn. So I phoned her and we had a nice talk (she's always been a favourite aunt).

I think it was helpful for her to talk to someone who understood what it was like to live with pain, as you know it can be very isolating and particularly difficult when the medical approach doesn't alleviate the suffering. It felt good to be able to help, like my pain served the larger purpose of providing practical support and empathy.

So, in spite of being a bad day, yesterday was a pretty good day which - as I think about it now - is usually how it goes :)

Linda, your opening sentence "Just another day for me to spare what little energy I have--tackle the easiest tasks, read and watch TV" hit home with me. It does feel like that day-after-day. Thank heavens for the occasional glimpse of joy - though few and far between - those moments are what sustain me.

As for the question about my med change; I'm in the process of changing anti-depressants (from wellbrutin to remeron - I also take celexa). The doctor did not want to increase my pain medication (even though my pain has increased incredibly over the past year) so I agreed to try this in the hopes that a raised serotonin level (which is what the med change aims to achieve) will result in some improvement.

I have another week of cutting back the wellbrutin before I stop completely, then a week to let the wellbrutin wash from my system, then I start the remeron. The remeron (the doctor said) will take 2-4 weeks to work so it looks like I'll be fiddling around with meds for another six weeks. Hopefully, it will be worth the hassle.

Nancy, I'm glad your daughter is doing well and working on her book. It's great you're able to help with character development, it sounds like a lot of fun. I hope things continue to go well.

I just hate it when dirty windows catch my attention. Washing windows is too big a job for me and sweetie, although he tries, doesn't do them very well. Come spring, I'm going to hire a service to do mine, that is if I can find anyone who 'does windows'.

Congratulations Ellen! on such a significant weight loss. Good for you! I'm especially glad the loss has improved the way you feel. Myself, sadly, I've gained back the 15 lbs I lost through weight-watchers so now I have to begin again. I'm happy to have you as an inspiration.

I'll refer to yesterday's to-do list to keep on track today and additionally, I need to organize my pill dispensers. Beyond that, I have a good book to read and a heating pad with my name on it.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  12. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I love hotels that have a free breakfast and a computer! So I can check in on you guys and make sure everyone's OK...
    Yes, the twins came along. We are planning to do our homeschool while here, but we also plan to have fun. My older son stayed home along with my older daughter....they can take care of the cats and other things. Actually, one of the twins has a snake! I don't think you knew that about me....I actually let him have a snake. It's just a garter snake that he caught, but he gets fed nightcrawlers and seems to be doing well. He's had him for two years now.
    My older son has a job interview today....I'm praying he gets the job! It would help his depression to start working again.
    Take care all-
  13. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Thanks to all of you for making me feel so welcome here! <smile>

OK, so I really, really was going to pay the bills yesterday, and had a consult appt with a rheumy to confirm adding FMS to my CFIDS and CIDP. Well, Sophia my shitzu/ poodle mix had other ideas. I was taking her for a walk, fell and hit my head, spent the afternoon getting tests/xrays etc and have a concussion, shock and whiplash. Way to go, Sophie!

Today I forgot to make a new appt with the rheumy but; yes--the bills are paid. The lights will stay on and I will continue to have DSL so I can get to know all of you better. I'm going to call THAT a productive day!

Gentle hugs to all,
  14. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Lenore, oh my goodness, I hope you're ok. Please take care of yourself and get some rest. Concussions are very difficult to deal with.

Today my housekeeper is coming so that should help.

My new mattress is also being delivered.

And my daughter's laptop is pooping out on her so if I can find a spare minute, I need to take her to the base shopping for a new one.

I'd hate for her to be without for any length of time, (I know how I feel about mine) and with her writing the book, it's essential right now.

I know they don't have the money for a new one, luckily we do right now so it shouldn't be a problem, although I've yet to add the paycheck from the 12th in yet.

I did manage to finish my living room windows yesterday, it wasn't as hard as I thought but it did take me two days to get them all done. But I have months now to look out the nice clean windows at our beautiful view of downtown Stuttgart.

Hugs all,

15. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Well, Jim has gained three more pounds, unfortunately. But the good news is that his doctor didn't take him off the Seroquel, but she did reduce the dosage by 100mg. Hopefully this won't affect him mentally. She said if it does, she will increase it. Jim has been complaining about being so thirsty. The Topamax may be doing that. In case he may be diabetic, she is doing bloodwork. Depending on whether or not he is, there is another medication she wants to try that may help his appetite problem. So now I am crossing my fingers he's not diabetic. Since our mother was diabetic, we are at a higher risk.

I meant to mention that although I am taking next week off, I will be in to work on Thursday afternoon since I have to take the advanced Excel class. Also, one of the art professors needs help with an art show that opens right after mid-semester break so I will probably will come in Thursday morning as well. Always something. I just hope I can manage working a full day. So I will probably check in with everyone on Thursday morning.

Anne Theresa: I would be happy to be your cheering squad any time you want to losing weight! I know how hard it can be, although it's easier for me now with this appetite suppresant. I also understand how good it makes you feel when you talk to someone on the phone and share your own personal experience with pain. I felt the same way when I talked with people who saw my newspaper article on FMS and called me. It really made me feel good and it felt like there was a purpose to my own suffering.

Terri: I am so glad you found a computer and could check in with us! I'll keep my fingers crossed that your son gets this job. I'm sure it would be good for him. As for the snake, I don't think I could relax with a snake in the house. I know they have their purpose in the world, but I'm just not crazy about them.

Lenore: I am so sorry you fell! I hope you feel better soon. Concussions certainly can be serious. Your dog would feel bad if he could understand what he did to you, of course. Congratulations for getting your bills paid. Maybe we are having a positive influence on you already?

Nancy: I don't know anything about shopping for a laptop since I don't have a computer at home, but I hope it goes well. You certainly want to keep your daughter working on her book. Speaking of dirty windows, mine are so dirty. As soon as the weather gets nice, I definitely need to clean mine. Fortunately, we have the newer kind that tilt in so I can wash them from the inside. I have a few like the big livingroom window that I do have to go outside to wash them.

To-do list for today:

-vacuum basement
    -mail bills (done)
    -pool therapy class
    -pick up car from shop

To-do for next week:

-spring clean master bedroom
    -regular housework-vacuuming, dusting, laundry, groceries
    -vacuum car
    -visit a girlfriend
    -call a friend from church
    -see Jim one day
    -spend time with husband
    -read magazines
    -go shopping to finally spend a gift card I got for

Well, that's it for me. I'll check in here as often as I can next week. Take care, everyone.

16. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I'm having a really rough time of it here at the hotel....maid service, meals out or microwaved, breakfast buffet...the boys said they'd like to live this way! I'm sure I'd be ready to go home after a few days, but I'll enjoy it while I can!

Nancy- I hope the cat is getting better....I think you're right about changing its food. Probably caused "the runs."
    My windows are terrible right now, but I can't do much about it yet...

My son hasn't heard about the job yet, so I'm still hopeful. It would be so good for him to work again. He won't have so much time on his hands.

Anne Theresa- I hope your aches start to subside soon. I imagine you really do have a heating pad with your name on it!

Take care all,
  17. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good morning all....

Please remember when thinking about those dirty windows that I do have a housekeeper so I don't have to vacuum, dust or mop, all of those chores are taken care of twice a month by someone else.

So getting those windows done was something I really wanted to get done for myself.

I'm exhausted from yesterday, for some reason I didn't get to sit and rest for more than a few minutes at a time, all day...bouncing up and down for something and I'm just not used to it.

I'm not going to get the new mattress set up until the weekend, just too much going on around here for that right now. And for some reason, my elbow was extremely painful yesterday.

Anne Theresa, I hope you start to feel better soon. I think we all know how it feels to have a shower and shampoo be at the top of the small list of things to do for the day.

Ellen, congratulations on your weight loss, that's really wonderful.

I'm glad they didn't take Jim off Seroquel since it's working well for him. I've noticed my daughter is putting on weight again, yet now isn't the time to mention it since she's beginning to do well again.

And good luck on your Excel next week, we'll be waiting to hear how it goes.

Terri, I hope you enjoy this trip....sounds like fun eating out and all, yet sometimes it can be difficult to need to be completely dressed just to get a meal. I've spent enough time in hotels to understand it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Linda and Kim, are you two doing ok?

Hugs all,

Ooops, almost forgot....I have no list for today. Just hoping to catch up on some rest and relaxation.
  18. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Terri, I used to love playing with garter snakes when I was a little girl and I would have loved to have made a pet of one. There aren't many mom's who would allow a snake in the house *my own mom included* so I expect you're a very cool mom in your son's eyes.

I hope your eldest son gets the job he's hoping for and that you & your twin sons enjoy the time away.

Lenore, I'm sorry about your fall and hope you're not in too much pain. I'm glad you were able to organize your bills and avoid loosing power and/or internet access.

Nancy, I hope you find a good deal on a lap-top for your daughter. Congratulations on getting your windows done, that's a major accomplishment! I hope you have a good weekend and enjoy your new mattress!

Ellen, It sounds like your brother has a good and conscientious doctor. I hope the reduced dose of seroquel serves him well and that he isn't diabetic. Enjoy the weekend and have fun spending your Christmas gift card!

Lynn, it seems were in the same boat, having gained back some weight and needing to start over again. It's difficult, isn't it? I also relate to the difficulty of doing housework when the pain intrudes to such a degree. In both matters (loosing weight and doing housework) the best we can do is take it one step at a time and not over-do it.

Molly, it's good to hear from you. The results of your liver cleanse sound very significant, though I must say I don't know very much about these sorts of things. I've not tried any procedures like this and so I appreciate you sharing your experience. I hope the benefit continues.

I did a fair bit of housework yesterday and today so I only have a small to-do list today:

make bed / change bedding
    dust bedroom/office
    water plants
    make dinner
    phone sons

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

19. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good morning all...

Plan B...

My daughter asked to go home today with her pets so she could get things ready when her husband comes home tomorrow. It makes sense, they have a fairly small car and this will make things so much easier.

So she volunteered to help around the house this morning for some money to pick up a few things at the store.

So...she and my hubby are changing out the old mattress with the new one. She's washing the sheets from her bed and packing to go home.

He'll take her home today along with the cat and very noisy budgie and I don't have to do anything...wooohooo!!!

But I do need to go get her weekly pill pack done so she doesn't find out where I'm hiding her meds.

Hugs all,

[This Message was Edited on 02/22/2008]
  20. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Happy weekend- I think we're heading for home tonight. We could stay until Sunday morning, but we'd like to get home for church.

Ellen- I forgot to congratulate you and your weight loss! I'm secretly jealous, but I have no one to blame but myself. Getting back home will help, plus increasing my exercise.

Nancy- I'm happy for you that life will be somewhat more normal, with your daughter back home. Let's hope and pray that she continues to do well.

Linda- we haven't heard much from you....hope you're OK???
    Write when you get a chance.

Anne Theresa- We may have a snake, but I refuse to have anything to do with it! Our little betta fish died this week, so now we're down to two black cats and the snake. I think that's enough critters for now!

Nice to hear from everyone- take care!