What's on your "To Do" list Jan.21Jan27

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alaska3355, Jan 20, 2008.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hi All,
    I haven't started this before, but thought I would since I hadn't kept up the last few days.

Today the boys have a friend over all day to play- hopefully I can get them away from video games long enough to go out and make a snowman!

We're having a day off of school due to MLK day, so I'm feeling pretty relaxed! I may finish up some laundry today, but we got most of it done yesterday. Actually, who am I kidding? We have laundry every day.......

Linda, Nancy, AnneTheresa- I hope you are feeling better. Seems winter brings on more achiness- am I right? I'll pray for highs in the 70's!

Wren, Juloo, Kim- how are you doing? I hope to hear from Ellen soon as well.

2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Thanks, Terri, for getting us started this week.

You're right about the winter aches & pains but the summer heat has it's own set of challenges, so I tend to gripe about the weather on either extreme.

I long for spring & autumn, the season's that are most agreeable to my nature as well as my overall sense of well-being.

Making a snowman with your children is a great way to make the best of winter - enjoy!

Linda, I'm glad you're beginning to feel better and hope the trend continues. I appreciate your concern about my son and I'll surely keep you updated. Take good care.

My house needs a good cleaning; everything looks dim & dingy to me. The following is a not today's to-do list, rather it's a list of things I'd like to do or delegate over the next week or two.

wash outside of all kitchen cupboards
    wash inside of cupboards, as necessary
    clean outside of fridge & stove
    clean candle holders of wax, fresh candles in all
    windex mirrors & glass & stainless steal
    sweep & spot-clean bedroom hardwood floors
    sweep & mop living room hardwood floors
    sweep & mop kitchen/washroom linoleum floors
    vacuum area rugs and soft/fabric furniture
    swipe washroom, clean shower & tub, wash shower curtain
    dust baseboards in all rooms, check for cobwebs etc.
    polish wooden door frames & trim
    dust/polish computer desk & dresser
    dust/polish china cabinet & bookshelf
    launder curtains, cushions and throws
    empty & clean waste baskets & garbage
    spot clean walls

At the end of this week, I'll check back with this list to see if I've made any progress...

As for today, I'll chose a chore or two from the above-noted list to do alongside the following:

shower & shampoo
    finish organizing linens
    begin reading a new novel
    finish watching Order of the Phoenix
    pay bills on-line
    walk or use elliptical machine

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2008]
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Yes, my MIL made it home safely and uneventfully- I'm thankful! She is "hibernating" since it is well below zero, last I heard. She's in Iowa.

Anne Theresa- that's an impressive to-do list......puts me to shame!

Hope to hear from more of you soon!
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good morning all....

Today should be an interesting day for me, my daughter spent the night here last night after a terrible fight with her husband.

Strangely enough, she's in the right, he's being a butt and nothing she does is good enough for him.

She's been off her meds since Friday, he forgot to pick up all of her pills. I'll be there first thing this morning to get her refills for her. (Mine too)

As for the puppy? The one we had our eye on is already sold and I'm sorry she got away. But we had company last week and barely a minute to ourselves to make a decision so I guess it just isn't the right time. I still have one or two possibilities but with what's going on in the house, that may be postponed too.

So for today I'll go to the clinic and get the refills. I also need to stop in at the commissary and pick up some milk and fruit.

The rest....should be interesting.

Hugs all,

5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I'm back!!! I survived the surgery! Everything went well, but I still don't know if I will get my hearing back or not. The doctor said to give it two weeks. Although yesterday I had two incidents of hearing things I normally wouldn't be able to hear so I'm thinking something is already starting to happen.

I didn't have any dizziness after the surgery so I didn't have to spend the night at the hospital. I had a little queasiness and for the next several days I felt very unsteady on my feet, especially on stairs. Fortunately, we live in a one-story house and I didn't have to go in the basement very often.

I did have a little more pain with this surgery, but the Tylenol #3 w/codeine that they gave me really knocked the pain out. My head feels like it is filled with water and I feel like I am talking in a tin can, but it is getting better. All in all, things went pretty well. I can't complain.

Sorry I didn't get over to the library and let all of you know how I was doing sooner, but I was layed up pretty much the whole time I was off of work. On Monday, my husband and I went into town and got groceries and ran some errands. I did manage to do some housework that day, too. Hopefully I didn't overdo it.

My husband was such a help while I was layed up. It was so nice to be able to rest and catch up on some reading. I also watched some movies. I would have liked to have had another week off!

I read last week's post to catch up on what all of you are doing. I see that everyone is as busy as always.

To-do list:

-finish vacuuming
    -make sausage and scalloped potatoes for dinner
    -pool therapy class (to keep my ear dry, I have to put a
    cotton ball in vaseline in my ear, then put a shower
    cap over my head)

It's almost time to leave work. It's nice to be back on here again!

6. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all!

Ellen, I'm happy you're surgery went well and that you're already experiencing improved hearing. That's wonderful news!

Nancy, it's too bad this puppy didn't work out - but I'm sure the one (you're intended to have) will come along in it's own time.

I hope your daughter and her husband work things out. Those first few years of marriage often entail a lot of personal growth, compromises & negotiations (makes me think of Paul Simon's song "Negotiations & Love Songs").

Enjoy your errands and have a good day.

Terri, I'm glad your mother-in-law made it home safe & sound. I hate those below zero temps and I completely relate to the act of hibernation. It's not that cold here (thank heavens) but there's a ton of snow and the sidewalks are, for the most part, impassable today.

Today's To-Do List

put laundry away
    put dishes away
    clean washroom floor
    clean inside of two cupboards
    empty wastebaskets
    shower & shampoo
    dress & make-up
    shopping/errands with friend

Wishing everyone a good day!

God Bless
    Anne Theresa
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hello all....

Ellen, so glad the surgery went well and that you've gained a little bit of hearing from it. Please take care of yourself and don't overdo things right off the bat....Take it easy, these things take time.

Linda, sorry about your migraine hope you feel better soon.

And yes, my daughter is dealing with a lot of adult problems at the moment and being off her meds for 3 days wasn't helping. But I'm proud of how she's handling herself and the decisions she's making.

I know that coming to our house was a responsible choice, much better than the alternative she sometimes chooses.

I'm not sure how I feel about their marriage...she needs to feel treasured and loved, not like she's a burden to him. I also know that men can say incredibly stupid things sometimes yet turn out to be ok. We'll see how it goes....

I'm hoping to have a more 'normal' day today and just putter around the house, sew if I feel like it and do nothing if I don't.

Anne Theresa, it sounds like you might be feeling better by your lengthy list. Try not to let the things that piled up while you weren't feeling well bother you. I've gotten into trouble many times when this happens.

Hugs all,

8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Thanks for the welcome back. And, yes, I am back to work. I went back yesterday. I would have loved to have had another week off, but the doctor would only give me one week off. I was really enjoying the time off and it was the most rest I've had in quite some time.

Unfortunately, I haven't noticed any more increases in my hearing since the two episodes on Sunday. But I know I have to give it time so I can't become discouraged. It's only been a week. The doctor said there's packing in there that has to dissolve.

Did I say that the professors had a huge bouquet of flowers sent to my house? They are so beautiful-spring flowers. They still look pretty nice almost a week later.

I feel like I am so behind on news with everyone. I'll try to remember what everyone is doing.

Terri: So glad your mother-in-law got home okay. I'm sure she's glad to finally be back home again.

Anne Theresa: I'm glad your son's eye is doing okay. I hope they don't have to do any surgery. That's quite a long list you have, but as I recall, you are splitting this up over a week or so.

Nancy: I'm sorry you didn't get the puppy you wanted, but the right one will come along. I can't remember what kind of dog you are looking for. I'm thinking you said a smaller breed? I'm sorry your daughter and her husband got into a fight. I guess all of us "oldsters" have been through our share of marital battles. I hope they can work things out. I've been married long enough to know that marriage is full of compromises. Keep us updated.

Linda: I'm thinking you've been having migraines? I hope you are doing better now. My husband and I are going to a movie this weekend called "Cloverfield". I saw the preview on it and it looks to be kind of a strange spooky movie. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Yesterday afternoon was pretty busy, so this afternoon will be not as busy. I told my husband that this is cook's night off. We have some leftover's in the fridge-enough for him to eat. I can have a TV dinner and make a salad. I'm meeting a girlfriend for lunch after work. Can you believe that my girlfriend and I had surgery on the same day? Now she has to wear a neck brace and can't drive for three months. I feel so bad for her. To boost her spirits I told her I'd pick her up today for lunch and she has a couple of quick errands to do.

To-do list:

-lunch with Dianna
    -take Dianna on her errands
    -take a nap
    -clean laundry room sink
    -call person with FMS (it's a person who saw my newspaper
    article on FMS)

Take care, everyone. Talk to you tomorrow!

9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hello all...

Ellen, I think that movie you mentioned is in the news as making people sick. Something to do with how they filmed it and people having reactions like motion sickness.

My daughter came over yesterday so the relaxing day went out the window. We shopped for an outfit for her to wear for a dinner last night, it was exhausting.

Yes, I know most young married arguments are easily resolved. Unfortunately, this isn't just an argument....He's tired of her being sick (he had to sort his own laundry) and he wants to know a timetable of when he can expect her to take over her chores.

Apparently, she's only cooked 3 times this month. Remember, she was supposed to be in a hospital all of December during the med change. She fought to stay out of the hospital so they wouldn't change his orders and make them move to the states.

So much pressure on her during such a difficult time. To make matters worse, I'm married to a wonderfully considerate and loving man and she just wasn't raised to be dictated to.

In our home, we married each other and would do anything for each other to make things work. Apparently, he's cut from a different cloth. He married a housekeeper/cook and she isn't living up to her part of the bargain so he wants to know when exactly, she will......

Anyway....I hope all are feeling better this week.

I'm going to try to take my relaxing day today but we'll see how things go.

Hugs all,

10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Nancy- I'm sure you are sad at the realization that her hubby is not as understanding as yours....hopefully things will work out. Maybe counselling would help??

Linda and Ellen: Hope you don't get sick at the movies!

Anne Theresa: How is that lengthy list going? I'd be lucky to get one or two things done per day on a list like that. I hope you pace yourself.

Ellen: Welcome back! I hope your hearing improves daily. Enjoy your flowers..

Today, after schoolwork with the boys, I have some accompanying to do. I'm playing for some kids in solo/ensemble, so I'll be rehearsing. They are all playing pieces I'm familiar with, so it will be fun. Plus I'll make some extra money- always nice!

11. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Well, I'm about mid-way through my work-day morning. I decided to take my break and see what you girls were up to.
    My day started on a whirlwind. I forgot to set the alarm last night. Fortunately, my husband woke me up at 7:00 (I normally get up at 6:30) or who knows what time I would have woke up. I'm rarely late for work. So I had to rush around getting ready for work.

I do wish I'd had a few more days off as it's been hard getting back into the swing of things this week. Not that I've been feeling bad, just extra tired. I didn't do much last night. I just relaxed, read, and watched my Weds. night medical shows that I like.

Nancy: With my ear surgery, I hope seeing Cloverfield doesn't make me sick. I have the feeling it's going to be a strange kind of movie. As for your daughter, I think Terri mentioned therapy. It does sound like more than like a normal marriage disagreement. He must have realized what he was getting into when he married her. Mental illness doesn't just "go away" and it definitely has its ups and downs. He should have realized he was marrying someone that was going to need more care and was not going to be as independent. I hope they can work things out.

Terri: It's great that you can earn some extra money with your music and have fun at the same time. You have the best of both worlds.

Linda: I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I hope things get better soon. The weather definitely plays a part in how we feel.

To-do list:

-pick up a birthday cake for my brother (his birthday is
    -make spaghetti for dinner
    -pool therapy class
    -my usual afternoon nap

12. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I'm glad you're feeling better today, Linda, that must be a relief after such a long bad spell. Like you, I can always predict the rain from my aches & pains. The only good thing about it is that - after the downpour, when the air pressure is lessened - I usually feel pretty good for a day, sometimes two. I hope you react the same and are therefore in for some relief.

Nancy, I'm sorry your daughter's up against such issues in her marriage and I hope she stays well throughout this challenging time. Like all of us with chronic illness, your daughter deserves a good and loving partner to understand her special needs and limitations. Hopefully, her husband can learn to be this man. Take care of yourself.

Ellen, how nice your received flowers from the professors! What a thoughtful gesture. I'm sure you're much-loved in your workplace, as you are here. Even though you're back to work, please remember you're in recovery-mode and you need to take extra good care.

Terri, I hope you enjoy your accompanying session. I think it would be fun to play with young people.

Thanks for asking about my progress with my monster to-do list. I've only accomplished a few of the chores, but it's nice to have a map of what I want to get done. I'm taking it one chore (or one-half chore) at a time and I expect the list will follow me into next week.

I generally do well with pacing and I have no problems saying 'enough is enough' when I reach my limit. It took me a long time to learn how important that was, but since I've learned how to pace myself, I'd never go back to that vicious cycle of crash & burn.

To-Do List

get packages ready for mail
    paper filing / organize desk
    make soup (almost finished)
    bake muffins
    clean inside of cupboards
    dust baseboards (with long-reach duster, no bending)
    if I'm not too tired, vacuum

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

13. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I feel as if I bailed on you all. Our computer hasn't been working. It's up for now, but we do need a new one. Right after the holiday's, is not a good time to be shelling out money for one!

I've read through your responses, and want to get caught up.

Thanks Terri, Lauri and ALL of you, who've asked where I've been. I've been more active, paying for it now but well worth it. When I don't have some type of swiffer in my hand, I stare at this useless laptop and wonder what all I am missing!

You have all been in my thought's and prayers. It's difficult not being in touch with those who understand, and even better, still like you! You are all these type of friends..

Hugs to you all..

[This Message was Edited on 01/25/2008]
  14. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hi Kim! Glad you got the computer working, even though it may only be temporary! I hope you'll be with us again soon....

Today my son has a job interview, so I'm praying that it goes well. He is so down since he's been out of work (mid-December). He got three rejections yesterday....they hired someone else. I'm sure he'll have some competition for this job, so please say a quick prayer for him......thanks.

I have another student to accompany today, then about a week before it all starts again.....another solo/ensemble contest. I'm having a good year for this!

Nancy- how is your daughter doing? Is she still staying with you? It's hard for you, to be in the middle, and you can't help but take your daughter's side. But she has been through a lot, and needs support.

Take care,
  15. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

What a cold morning it was-zero. Really hard to get going. I'm surprised I wasn't hurting more. I'm so glad it's payday. We had $600.00 in extra bills this month so money is extra tight right now.

Today is my brother Jim's 51st birthday! He looks forward to his birthdays like a child would. He's been excited for weeks. So, of course, I bought him a present and picked up a cake yesterday. Harry and I are taking him out for lunch today and he is spending the night tonight. I am picking him up after I leave work.

Harry has been such a help around the house the past several months and especially since I've had my ear surgery. Today he is doing yesterday's dishes and said he would wash the sheets. He's not good at making beds so he said he would do them if I help him. It really makes things so much easier to have him help me take over some of the chores. He also helps me get groceries sometimes and run errands for me sometimes. Of course he's layed off from work right now so he does have more time. I don't expect him to do as much when he's working.

Anne Theresa: Yes, you are right. I have to remember to take care of myself as I am still recovering from surgery. Like you, I used to "crash and burn" all the time before I finally learned to pace myself. Most of the time I don't overdo it.

Kim: It's great to hear from you again. Hopefully you can get a new computer when your finances allow.

Terri: Good luck to your son in his job hunting. I know that the competition is tough out there with the way the economy is.

To-do list:

-cash paychecks
    -buy postage stamps
    -make beds

To-do list for weekend:

-call back lady with FMS and endometriosis and finish our
    call from Thursday night
    -take in recycling
    -shorten a new skirt
    -take Jim home on Saturday

Have a good weekend, everyone! Talk to you on Monday!

16. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Sweetie's one piece of advice to me(about living with FMS)is always this: 'If you have a good day, don't waste it doing housework - go do something you enjoy.'

I usually tell him I 'enjoy' doing housework (God help me, it's true) but yesterday I took the spirit of his advice, set aside my to-list and went out to my favourite little plaza to wander, shop & drink coffee. It was nice two hours that left me utterly exhausted but happy.

So today, I'm going to continue with yesterday's to-do list:

get packages ready for mail
    bake muffins
    clean inside of cupboards
    dust baseboards (with long-reach duster, no bending)

as well as clean the fridge, take a shower/shampoo and clean my rings (I bought some jewelry cleaner yesterday & so I'll give it a try).

Kim, it's so good to 'see' you. You've been in my thoughts & prayers. I'm happy to know you've felt well enough for some activity (even though we always pay the inevitable cost, it's nice to get our & about). Take good care and check in whenever your computer allows.

I hope your son does well with his job interview, Terri. Is this the same son that has CFS? I surely relate to his depression - God bless him - and I'll gladly say a prayer on his behalf.

For those of us able to work, a steady & rewarding job is the best way to cope with depression; either clinical depression or that associated with chronic illness. Not working is difficult.

I hope Jim has a great birthday, Ellen, and that you enjoy celebrating with him. It's nice your hubby is able to help so much around the house and with the shopping. My sweetie is the same and it's much appreciated.

From your weekend to-do list (call back lady with FMS) it seems you're still providing outreach to people diagnosed with FMS. That's great! and wonderful for folks to have a source of first-hand knowledge. Keep up the good work.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

17. annie1202

annie1202 New Member

I meant to post earlier this week, but haven't felt up to it. I'm either in the middle of a bad flare, or my meds stopped working.

I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I read some of the posts - but not all

Ellen, I'm glad you are recovering well from your surgery.

Nancy, I'm sorry your son in law isn't very understanding. That can really make for a rough time. I'm fortunate that my hubby is very understanding. My kids are, too.

Today I:

Went grocery shopping
    Went for a massage (I don't do this often, but I'm starting to regret it.)
    Went to the church to clean for a few hours
    Came home and crashed

Now I will:
    Make supper for the family

Hope you all have a great weekend.
    Hopefully next week I will feel up to being here more.

18. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My son's interview went pretty well, but he won't know anything right away. Yes, Anne Theresa, this is the son recovering from CFS. He is soooo much better than he used to be, but depression gets him down. He needs a job for his self image, so he feels useful. He is 20, but a less mature young man than most 20 yr. olds. I guess I mean he is naive....but very friendly and personable (if I do say so myself!).

Time to go do dishes!
  19. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Thank you all so much for the support! I need this group of ladies to keep me sane sometimes (often really)

You are the only place I vent besides my friend in Tampa once a week and sometimes we don't get to speak for weeks if something happens like it did this past Monday.

Hubby's leaving tomorrow for a week at Ramstein tomorrow so he did the laundry today and shopped for a few groceries so I would be set up for the next week. He also just scrambled my brains so I hope this post makes some sense and I don't leave anybody out.

Annie, it's great that you too have a supportive family. I really feel for those that don't.

Ellen, I hope you enjoyed Jim's birthday. I know just what you mean about the child like qualities.

Be careful at that movie. Some are taking dramamine to see it so it must be interesting.

Anne Theresa, I think I adore your 'Sweetie'! I like his outlook on this illness and agree with him completely.

Terri, we'll send out some good wishes for your son. Hope he gets the job. How was the recital?

And no, my daughter went home after one night. I offered for her to stay here a week so she can level off and not have any pressure added to her plate, but she said she's ok for now.

Kim, I hope your computer holds out for awhile so you can get another one. It's great to hear from you again!

Hugs all,

20. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello Annie, I'm glad to see you posting, but sorry to learn you've had such a bad week. I couldn't tell from your note if you regret having a massage or regret not having a massage more often.

As for my own experience with massage therapy, a session will either help or make matters worse so whenever I go it's a gamble.

I'm glad your son's interview went well, Terri and I hope he gets good news. I'll keep him in my prayers and trust God to make things right.

Nancy, I feel the same way about this group. I love to share the good & bad about my life, without fear of judgment or lack of understanding. I hope everything is okay (re: scrambled brains) and that next week goes well with your hubby away. Take good care.

I actually did everything! on yesterday's to-do list. This doesn't happen very often; there are usually a few items I carry over to the next day, delegate to sweetie or let go of altogether.

And, as for my monster to-do list (posted on Monday), I've accomplished 7 out of 17 chores - good for me!

To-Do List

go for a walk or use the elliptical machine
    order theatre tickets
    empty waste-baskets
    clean outside of fridge & stove
    wash outside of kitchen cupboards
    windex mirrors & glass & stainless steal

Enjoy the weekend!

God Bless
    Anne Theresa