What's on your 'To Do' List Jan 4 - 10?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AnneTheresa, Jan 4, 2010.

1. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

It's bitter cold here, unbelievably so, and I'm happy to stay indoors today. I did most of most of my housework over the weekend and so I have a relatively easy day today.

One good thing to report: as per my new year's resolutions, my sister and I used the building's gym for the first time yesterday and we intend to use it once or twice a week from now on. I used the stationary bike (similar to the one I used at physiotherapy) and she used a huge elliptical machine, then we went in the hot-tub for a lovely soak :)

To-Do Today

clean bunny's cage
    tidy living room
    put away dishes
    download user's manual for cell phone
    learn one function on phone (learning only one function per day should keep me from becoming overwhelmed)
    make appointment for manicure
    read & rest

God bless,
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Anne Theresa, thanks for getting the thread started this week. We had some problems with our internet connections and I wasn't able to do so.

I'm glad you made it to the gym and had a nice soak after wards. It sounds very relaxing.

My husband's been sleeping in the guest room for the last week or so to help me get caught up on my sleep so I'm slowly starting to feel more human now. What a relief!

And I received a wonderful gift in my e-mail this weekend. A cousin recently died and after going through her home my relatives found a treasure trove of wonderful old pictures of our family.

I've been able to see pictures of my great, great, great ancestors and I can't even begin to say what a gift this was.

There's even an old unidentified picture of a young toddler girl who looks exactly like me in turn of the century clothing...it's just amazing.

Today I have to take Katy to work and I really need to do some grocery shopping. So much has piled up again since I haven't been feeling well.

And Grey, it was wonderful to hear from you!

Hugs all,

3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Nancy, I'm glad you're getting some quality sleep, it can make all the difference as to how you feel. How wonderful to receive pictures of family - I can understand your excitement, this is quite a find!

My brother, a few Christmases ago, gifted me with an old reproduction of a photo of my dad at 16 with his four siblings and his parents standing together outside their farmhouse. This picture isn't near as old as the ones you're referring to, but it's the only picture of my dad as a young man so it is priceless to me.

I know how easily the housework piles up when you take down-time but don't let an untidy house prompt you to do too much too soon. Take care of yourself.

To-Do List

make weekly pill dispensers
    wrap birthday present
    iron blouse & scarf
    vacuum & tidy apartment
    get dressed, hair, make-up
    go to bus terminal, buy bus pass
    take bus to weight-watchers
    stop off at pharmacy on the way home

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Anne Theresa, that was quite a to do list you had there...

I think in some of those pictures I saw my Dad younger than I ever had before so I understand what a gift that can be. It was just amazing to me to see the Grandmother I remember as a toddler....and her parents as children as well.

I have to take Katy to a doc appt this morning....we really need to have her tested for Cushings Disease and she needs new scripts of her meds. She also has quite a list of physical problems going on, her hair is coming out by the handfuls...

My hubby has rented a truck for this afternoon so he can finally get my old furniture out of the house. It'll be nice not to have two sets in the living room and the cushions are all over the house wherever there's room at the moment. I'm excited to see it all neat and tidy.

We'll be grocery shopping after the doc today. So much easier on me to have her with me and to carry things in.

Hope to hear from you all soon...

5. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

It's been a stressful week. Liam went back to school which is a big transition. His medication is causing sleeplessness for the whole family and I have left a message every day with the psychiatrist since last Sat:( The medication isn't even working and causing more problems than good. We do have an appt with the psych for Sat but I want to know how to wean him asap.

School meeting yesturday to plan on telling the classmates about Liam's autism. It was so stressful I came home and fell asleep for 2 hours and even Liam couldn't wake me.

I'm trying to coordinate all kinds of drs for Liam and myself. We are trying to get in to the only ped neurologist that deals with autism.

Good news for today is that Liam will start a gymnastics class that is specifically for high functioning autistic kids. This Y is awesome. Liam is very familiar from a special camp he went to. I am just glad he will have a time to be with others like himself and do something active.

To do:
    grocery shop and go to Target
    couples counseling
    minimum day pick up Liam early
    stop by optical place to have Liam's glasses adjusted
    phone calls

I hope you all are well. i will catch up later.
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I got on here last Saturday and was the last person to post a message so I don't think a lot of people read my message, but I am writing to all of you on my very own laptop computer!! My dear husband got this for me as a Christmas present. I never even asked for one, but it's been nice, except I have had some problems with it. I've had problems making connections with the Internet. The last time I couldn't even get into the Internet and finally just used the library's computer's on Tuesday. I was going to send a message to all of you, but I ran out of time on the computer. I normally would have had more time, but for some reason there were lots of kids in the library. Chuck, one of the employees, said he thought they were home-schooled kids. So when they are here, I don't get as much time on the computers. But today I finally got the computer working. Each time I get it working I am hopeful that this is it and I won't have any further trouble. It certainly is much different than the computers I've used all my life!

Well, Harry went back to work on Monday. He was gone on Tuesday night and he will be gone tonight, too. Of course I've been busy as usual with my usual errands and housework. A woman's work is never done they say.

The weather here has been cold-in the 20's with some windy days. I think the last warmer day we had was Christmas day. After having such an easy winter, we are finally having our first real snowstorm. We could have as much as eight inches when it is done early tomorrow morning. I do have to go to Ann Arbor in the morning, unfortunately, for a dr. appt. with the FMS dr. I really need to go to get my morphine prescription and maybe some other ones, too. I will have to check my meds tonight. My appt. isn't until 10:15. With the weather, I should leave early-maybe 8:45. I better take the main roads this time. On the way home I need to stop at Carol's house, the lady I run errands for. I have some groceries to drop off for her. Not very many. This is the first time she's asked me to get groceries for her.

Anne Theresa: I'm so glad you and your sister are starting to use the gym and hot tub. The hot tub sounds so nice right now. So relaxing. What a nice thing to have with your apartment. It makes me think of my great-aunt Jean and the nice apartment she had with the exercise room, hot tub and swimming pool. It was wonderful and I enjoyed using the equipment while I stayed with her.

Nancy: Poor Katy. If I recall correctly, it seems like she has long, dark hair. I remember you sent a picture of your family once. It's a shame for her to be losing her hair. What is Cushings Disease? I've heard of it, but don't know what it is. Between the two of you, you both have had your share of health problems.

Molly: That's wonderful that you have found a program for Liam. To find a program for autism is one thing, but to find one for high functioning autistic children is even better. He should be able to relate to these children a little better. Hopefully this will help with his social skills and also give you some much-needed break time.

Well, I have to go to my swimming class. Take care everyone!

7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hi all,
    I have not been on here in a couple of weeks....so it's nice to hear from all of you again.

This will be short....we are celebrating our 33rd wedding anniversary this weekend by going on a short trip. A nearby town, Leavenworth, is done up like a Bavarian town and it is one of our favorite destinations. So we'll stay there and shop all day Saturday. Hopefully my hubby will be up for the shopping....usually he isn't too patient! But I think this will be different, since we are celebrating.

Happy New Year to all and good wishes for health!

Hugs from Terri
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Ellen I'm happy for you and your new laptop. Hopefully you'll get your connection problems ironed out and won't have to go to the library to get online anymore.

Terri I hope you enjoy your trip!

Molly, you have another busy to do list...hope Liam enjoys his new class with others like him.

I'm in medication hell for the next few days. I took Katy to her appt and managed to get one for myself that day with the new doc. He's doing a test on my adrenals (I'll do it Sunday) but in the meantime I have to stop taking my Ritalin...so I'm back to full ADHD and all I can say is TG for the medications. It's awful not being on them right now and I didn't realize it would be like this.

My brain wants to do 14 things at one time but my body can't handle it. I have to force myself to sit still and try to concentrate on just one thing.

I'm also weaning off of my Effexor because he thinks I might have Seratonin Syndrome too. He's switching me to another AD that doesn't cause or contribute to this.

I'm just happy that he's trying something....I think back and soon after starting the Effexor is when I went down hard and was never the same since.

I'm taking Katy to work this morning and I'll try to go back to sleep. I also had to cut my Trazadone down to 1/3 of the dosage so I woke up at 3:00 am this morning, yuck!

Hugs all...

9. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Nancy-hugs on weaning off meds. I know how awful that can be. I had a very difficult time quiting Effexor. I have heard seratonin syndrome is pretty serious so that must feel terrible too. Hugs and I wish you a quick recovery.

I went through a horrible trauma yesturday and am still very affected. I am very drained so the shortest version is:

Went to the YMCA HFA gym class. Liam was on sensory overload going every which way and uinable to follow direction or listen. Did things on purpose that he wasn't supposed to. At the end they get to go in the foam pit which is his favorite. He did some things that the teacher and myself tried to stop and lost the privledge of the foam pit. He snapped. I tried to restrain him from going into the foam pit and from hurting himself or me. His hand got loose and it socked me right in the eye. Another mother (an angel) was able to restrain him and spent an hour helping. My son was trying to bite, headbutt, spit in the woman's face. I called the safety crisis unit and they were the furthest away from us in the county. They had to call the police but they couldnt come right away. The whole tantrum lasted 1 1/2 hours and there were two police cars and 3 officers. We all wanted to make sure that he could ride safely home. He had to be calm first otherwise could take off his seatbelt and try to hurt me as I drive.

The eye doctor today said I have a bruise on my eyeball that will go away in about a week. She gave me some drops to be more comfortable. My retna and everything is okay. It still hurts though. The Y gave me ice right away and I had it on for a long time.

So the Regional Center will have an emergency planning meeting and get us more hours. We see the psychiatrist tomorrow. My ABA supervisor met with us today and thinks this is more than just autism and we may have to hospitalize our 7 year old son. I am soooooooooo sad.

Please send prayers and positive thoughts our way! I'll update on how the dr appt goes.

10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Molly I am so sorry this had to happen. It must have traumatic for you all....

Is Liam still on new meds? They can CAUSE behaviors that are unusual if it's not the right med for him...I know you're being careful with this, I just wanted to remind you.

I could write a book on Katy's behaviors while she was improperly medicated yet we didn't understand at the time. Only now can we look back as we see her so much better and understand how she was able to do these things. (to herself)

Now that she's properly medicated these old behaviors don't even come to mind for her....

Not sure what we're doing today. Hubby wasn't able to get the truck the other day and was supposed to get one today. But.....it's been snowing for 2 days now, Stuttgart ran out of salt for the roads and as of yesterday, they were just a horrible mess. We'll have to wait and see.

Hugs all,

11. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

This will be short as the library will be closing soon. Harry is here with me and we tried to get on the website for the unemployment office for Ohio. He has to claim one week for the time he had off for the holidays, but he won't get paid for it. I forgot what they call it in Ohio. They sure do things differently in Ohio. When he worked in Michigan he always got paid. But we still have to claim it so he gets paid for the next time he is off without pay.

Terri: congrats on your wedding anniversary!

Nancy: I'm so sorry you have to get off of your meds. I had to go off meds before, too, for tests and for that sleep study I did for FMS research and it wasn't fun!

Well, they are starting to turn off the lights here in the library so I had better get off! Talk to everyone next week!

12. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

The psychiatrist (pdoc) for Liam has already began to wean off Risperdal. We will take a 2 week break from starting any new meds to get a baseline on his state. The sleep problems and agitation may or may not be from the meds.

The pdoc gave us a provisional dx of Bipolar Affective Disorder and he still has his autism dx as well. Since he is only 7 we have to wait and see how this all plays out.

The pdoc wants us to make a visit down to a residential treatment facility now in case we ever need it. She told us it is a very nice one and we should see it ahead of any crisis that may occur.

We are walking a bit on eggshells as to how he will handle coming off this mediction. But we have to see him now off all meds since we didn't know he was having an episode prior to being on meds if that makes any sense.

Nancy-how old was Katy when she was first dx? The dr explained how long of a process it can be to get the right meds and stablize him.

I'm doing okay today. I am accepting it pretty well although I know there will be many peaks and valleys ahead.

Thanks for all the supportive friendships you all provide. Molly
  13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

We went to base yesterday to take Katy to work (they didn't need her) so we went shopping and I ended up with a new computer. I'm not one who likes change much and this is no different.

Molly I had typed you a very long explaination and it deleted everything on me but I'm going to try one more time...

Katy wasn't properly diagnosed until May of last year....

She had been abused in an after school program when we moved to Hawaii when she was 5 and we were still living in a hotel. She didn't receive psychiatric care then, things were different and we didn't know how far the abuse went.

She was quiet and withdrawn for quite some time but learned that being a happy child made us all happy. (guilt, blame and confusion yes I have all of it)

She would have been perceived as a 'normal/happy' child all of her life. In fact, she was a delight not only to me but to all who knew her.

By age 14 I really knew in my heart that something was 'off'....yet your mind never jumps to mental illness.

She had a stalker who wanted to kill her 'Columbine Style' in her sophomore year of high school and we were evacuated the next year out of our home in Bahrain with 7 days notice in the middle of the next year.

That was the straw that broke the camel's back....she cracked and was no longer able to hide what was going on in her head.

She was originally thought to be bi-polar and was also dx'd with Borderline Personality Disorder.

Nine hospitalizations later she was finally diagnosed with Schizo-Effective Disorder as well as the Borderline Personality Disorder.

Risperadone was one of her worst meds that caused the most awful side effects for her. And this is the tricky part....we thought (and had been dealing with) so many of these behaviors because we thought they were just 'normal' for her mental illnesses.

Although the side effects of the wrong medications caused more problems and behaviors we thought the original behaviors were just a part of our lives since she was mentally ill....(hope this is making sense to you)

But....properly medicated ALL of the behaviors are GONE...yes she's still very mentally ill, but coping well in a normal world in normal ways, just in a very delayed way. It's like she's 16 again and hasn't learned everything we taught her because she really wasn't 'present' for all of those years. They were stolen from her in a horrible way.

Her first diagnosis was probably when she was 16 or 17 but it too was wrong.....so we've been through these past 6 or so years in hell with the wrong meds making everything we were dealing with worse.

I always knew they said it could take this long to get things right....I just never knew how 'right' right could be!

Risperadone cause her anxiety to go through the roof....seriously. She was afraid of a car cause she thought it would drive off the road and envisioned all kinds of horrible things each time she got in a car. (can you imagine living that way?)

Panic attacks as well, constant and her OCD went through the roof too. Not just needing to wash her hands type OCD, but if I do this then this awful bloody thing will occur. Just awful yet they increased her dosage....pure idiocy.

I like that the docs are waiting to try a new med for Liam. Please let me know if you need more help. Unfortunately I am very well versed in all of this.

Hugs all,

14. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Nancy, I'm sorry you've had to go for a time without your meds. I can only imagine how awful you feel without them. You'll be glad when the test is over and done with, I'm sure. I don't know anything about Crushing's disease but I hope the doctor is able to find out the reason for Katy's hair loss and other symptoms.

Molly, you've been in my prayers - and Liam too, of course - what a traumatic experience you've had. I'm glad your eye was not injured beyond a bruising and I hope the pain is going away. I hope you get the attention and resources you need to support Liam to live an excellent quality of life. Take good care of yourself.

Terri, Happy Anniversary! I hope you had a wonderful Bavarian weekend!

Ellen, How nice that you have a computer at home now! A laptop is a most thoughtful gift - Kudos to Harry! The winter weather is brutal, isn't it? It makes me doubly grateful to have a hot-tub!

The only thing on my to-do list today is to watch a movie and then go the gym and for a soak in the hot-tub. Sister and I have started 'working out' in the apartment's gym on Sundays. I lost a total of 39 lbs. in 2009 and I'm hoping to do the same in 2010.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, all!

God bless,