What's on your "To Do" list July 28 August 3?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alaska3355, Jul 28, 2008.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hi all,
    I knew that Nancy was gone, so I decided to get our post going......

I hope you all are well and enjoying the summer days. Our tomatoes are finally getting some fruit, so it won't be long before we enjoy our own tomatoes again. Last week I had to pick our apricots, as it was windy and they were starting to blow off of the tree. I was able to make some jam, which was very good.

Chuck is doing well......remember, Chuck is our steer. He is getting used to his new place and is leaving his "mark" as proof. When I walk out onto the back porch, I think I'm back in Iowa, with the smells of hay and manure.....but not a bad smell. I'm getting nostalgic in my old age....

My hubby is gone to be with his mother, who will undergo a mastectomy this Wednesday. She had her regular mammogram last Sept., which showed nothing unusual, and now she has a tumor. Things can change quickly. Say a prayer for her, please?

It's quiet here today, so I'll probably catch up on some laundry.....it's never-ending.....

2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I'm so sorry I missed last week. I was busy at the fair and my cousin from California was visiting. She left today.

Terry: I'm so sorry about your MIL. I hope she gets better soon.

Anne Theresa: I hope your succeed in losing 50 pounds. I know how hard it is.

Nancy: I could shoot your SIL. Of course we knew he didn't love Katy by his actions, but to tell her he didn't love her on the phone!

Grey Goddess: I'm so sorry you hurt your toe. Take care.

Linda: I can't remember what you were doing. My memory!

Lenore: I'm so sorry about your accident! That explains why we haven't heard from you! Congratulations on your wedding in August!

The computer is going to shut down.

3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Thanks, Terri for getting us started this week. I'm sorry to hear about your mother-in-law and I will say a prayer for her. It's nice your hubby can be with his mom during this time.

There's nothing as wonderful as home-grown tomatoes. I could survive on fresh tomato sandwiches. I've only recently tried the famous fried green tomatoes and I found them to be delicious, as well. I hope you have a good harvest this year!

Hi Ellen, I hope you had a nice time at the fair and visiting with your cousin. Thanks for your support for my weight loss goals. I'm scheduled to begin weight-watchers in mid-August and I'm looking forward. I know I'd feel better all-around if I could shed a few pounds so I'm going to try my best.

I have a busy day today.

Shower, shampoo, get dressed
    make bed, quick pick-up & tidy
    go uptown for manicure appointment
    pick up a few groceries
    home to rest for a while
    get together with my friend, to the dollar store & mall

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  4. greygodess

greygodess New Member

Went out to dinner tonight with one of our sons, his live in and their 2 girls. Did the nature center today.

Tomorrow I'll be going out to lunch with some women from church. Then maybe to the funeral home. A church members husband died. I also found out today that the mother of a friend of ours died. So another trip to the funeral home may be in order.

I'm glad that Chuck is adjusting. I'm not sure I'd like the smell of the manure though. I'll also keep your mil in my prayers.

I'm waiting for the tomatoes to ripen. I have plenty but no red ones yet. We've had green beans a couple of times in the past week. Nice to be able to go out and pick enough for dinner. Godbless
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My MIL had her mastectomy this morning....the news wasn't good. The cancer has spread into the lymph and probably beyond. She can undergo radiation but they can't promise that it will eradicate the cancer. We wish the news could have been better.....but it's not over yet.

My 21 yr. old son has a girlfriend! He is so shy- i wondered if it would ever happen. They met online through a story board....I guess it's where you co-write fiction....and the girl's family decided to come here and meet my son on their vacation! The two of them hit it off, so now I guess they are "going together." She lives in Canada, so they won't see each other that often, but they will learn how to do phone calls through Skype on the computer (cheaper that way.)

I've canned 20 quarts of dill pickles altogether yesterday and today....whew! I got a good recipe from a student, so my hubby wanted me to make some. I didn't have cukes, so I bought some at a produce stand. I hope they turn out- I haven't made pickles in a long time!

Take care- hope to hear from more of you!
  6. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello ladies, I'm struggling with this damnable neck pain yesterday & today. Prior, it had eased up and stayed away for a month or more, but now it's back with a vengeance.

How nice, Terri, that your son has a girlfriend. It was good of her parents to support a meeting and wonderful that they hit it off. I'm sorry to hear about your mother-in-law, God bless her. I'm glad your husband is there with her during this experience, this would be a tough time for her to be alone. Dill pickles - wow - I love that you 'can' things.

Greygoddess, I hope you enjoyed having lunch with your friends from church and that all went well at the funeral home. Your picking green beans gave me a happy memory: When I was a child, my mum used to send me out with a big pot every afternoon to pick vegetables for our dinner.

Our large back yard was all garden, including corn stalks, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, pumpkin, watermelon, cucumbers, radishes, carrots, rhubarb and more; all of it just waiting to be eaten. Given that my parents raised five children on a welder's income, I'm sure our garden was a necessary means to keep food on the table, but as a child all I saw was the fun of it.

I won't be doing too much with this pain (my back is bad today as well, I can't bend, trouble getting around from room to room) but I'll make a small to-do list just to keep the house going:

- empty wastebaskets
    - put away dishes, clean kitchen counter-tops
    - make bed
    - respond to e-mail
    - sit out on front porch & read
    - sandwiches for dinner

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  7. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I will write longer today than Monday. I had written a longer message on Monday, but something happened to the computer and it erased my original message. The computer had only three minutes left before it was going to shut down so I had to write something very quickly. Oh, well.

On Monday we had two ceiling fans put up. One in our livingroom and one in our middle bedroom. We still have one to go up on our back porch, but Harry wants to wait and have this other electrician put it up. Personally, I would have had the guy on Monday do it, but this other guy is a friend of his dad's and he had already promised him the job. Now if we can just get him to do it. He's been stringing us along for several weeks now. He has promised us he will do it before I go back to work on August 15th.

Harry was put on a different schedule this week and we both hate it. He's been gone overnight for several days. He was in New York State one day and in Maryland and I don't know where else. I know he gets paid extra, but we hate not seeing eachother. The truck has a bed in it, but I'm sure it's not as comfortable as sleeping at home. And I'm sure he missing my home cooking! Hopefully next week he will go back to his old schedule.

My garden is doing well. My squash plants have a lot of squash on them. Of course, I won't harvest them until fall. I only have one cucumber plant, but can you believe I've already picked over 20 cucumbers? I have a lot of green tomatoes. I'll be busy canning once they turn red.

Jim is being put back on his old medication once they wean him from his old medication, which makes me happy. He was so much better on the old medication. If his stuttering doesn't improve, I am going to look into a speech therapist and will hopefully find one who takes Medicaid.

Terri: I am so sorry for your mother's diagnosis. I wish the best for her. I am happy for your son. It's too bad his girlfriend lives so far away, though.

Anne Theresa: My neck has been really bothering me this week, too. It always bothers me, but the pain is especially bad the past few days. I hope the pain eases for both of us soon.

I'm sure I've probably missed someone, and for that I'm sorry. I have the worst memory.

Harry has a meeting at the company headquarters in Defiance, Ohio on Saturday. Since we haven't had much time together lately, he suggested that we have a partial weekend together. So he is getting us a room in a hotel in Defiance. He will get one that has a pool and an exercise room for me. He doesn't think the meeting will last all day on Saturday. We will spend the nights in the hotel on Friday and Saturday nights and have some "couple time". He thinks he will be done by early afternoon on Saturday. My father-in-law will watch the cats.

So that will be nice. We'll be back home on Sunday.

To-do list for today:

-vacuum (done)
    -finish sewing curtains (done)
    -schedule dentist appt. (done)
    -do a load of laundry (done)
    -pool therapy class (done)

To-do list for tomorrow:

-buy a filter for our furnace
    -exchange a remote for bedroom fan (one we bought is
    -ear dr. appt.

That's it! Talk to everyone next week!

8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Terri, I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL....but happy that your son has found a girlfriend.

Anne Theresa, sorry to hear about the pain in your neck...hopefully it will get better soon.

Ellen, good to hear from you again, we missed you last week. Hope you and Harry enjoy your visit in the hotel.

What medication will they be switching Jim to? Is he weaning off Seroquel now? I have a website for Seroquel withdrawals somewhere on my computer that lists all of the possible problems to look out for.

Grey, hope you're taking care of yourself lately.

Katy flew home with me since the insurance booted her out of the hospital. She's been doing ok...but she's still facing the pressures and problems with her husband and at times it's difficult.

Today is her 22nd birthday so I'm taking her and a friend out to lunch. This will be her first outing in 6 weeks so we'll have to see how it goes.

They have plans to go to a museum downtown but I'm hoping they'll wait to see how she does at lunch and how the swelling is on her legs and feet.

Tonight she's having dinner with her husband so he can give her his gift....pfft. She's called him a few times since we've been home only to be sorely disappointed and get her heart broken. Wish I could lock up the phone somewhere.

I'm doing pretty well since the weekend and managed to get her unpacked yesterday, do some laundry, bar-b-q for dinner and even get a shower and the weekly pills done.

I'm hoping for some peaceful time today so we'll have to see how that goes.

Hoping to hear from Linda, Kim, Molly, Lenore and Erin soon.

Hugs all,

9. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Well I have been MIA this week. This was a tough week because I had no camps or nanny this week. It was all me 24/7. I had to keep my ds son busy and we had a very full week. By Thursday afternoon my body gave out. I was in a lot of pain and could just lay down. My dh had to take over. I took an Aleve and epsom salt bath and rubbed arnica gel in my right hip. Ultram just does nothing for me. So my neck, jaw and right hip are killing me.

My ds still has his OCD behaviors from the strep/PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections). Our ped said it should fade within ten days. TEN DAYS seems an awfully long time!!!!! I pray to God he never gets strep again. It has been h-ll!

Terri-Sorry to hear of you MIL. My mom had a mastectomy a year and a half ago and is doing well. I will say a prayer for your family.

Ellen-Did you work at the fair? I meant to go the fair this year but it came and went so fast! Glad Harry will be back to his regular schedule soon.

Greygodess-Wow you lead such a full life with these dd. You have so many activities you are involved in. You always amaze me.

Anne Theresa-So sorry about the neck pain. That is no fun. I hope you are finding some relief

Nancy-Glad Katy is home with you where she is loved. Sorry about her dh. Hope she enjoyed her birthday. Were you able to have a peaceful day? Hope so, you deserve it.

Okay, I am envious of all your vegetable gardens. Am I the only one without a vege garden?

Saturday to do:

Watch Tom & Jerry with my son, while drinking coffee
    Get us ready and take him to a two hour math camp
    Come home and rest or clean if I am up to it.
    Pick him up from camp and feed him lunch.
    Read and watch a little t.v. with son
    Go to lagoon for a walk with my son. Get some of his energy out
    Barnes and Nobel he can read and play with Thomas Train and I can buy a Sheryl Crow cd that I really want.
    Home-mommy crash son play, play, play
  10. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm on a tight schedule so forgive me for the group reply. Thanks for all the concern and congrats (funny, we all seem to have clouds with silver linings this week).

I have a veggie/strawberry garden too. This year I planted some orange cherry tomatoes (oxymoron there). I forgot the fruit was ripe when it was orange. It wasn't until I saw some shriveled up ones on the vine that I remembered. I picked a bounty as well as a few peppers and we had a delicious salad for dinner last night. With the whole "tomato scare" this comes in handy.

On about.com there was an article called something like "12 foods to buy organic". They listed the amount of pesticides found in a random sampling of fruits and veggies. If anyone is interested, I'll post the info. Nectarines were the highest (surprised me) and strawberries and other stuff was on it. I put it in my coupon holder so that when I go to the store I will remember which ones to buy organic!

I saw my neuro Thursday who thinks all this pain is due to my CNS and immune system being "bounced around" in the accident. I never even thought of that possibility. She increased my Lyrica at night but of course I forgot to take the samples, so they called in an Rx my insurance won't pay for. Oh, and we took Leslie to see Wicked for her birthday! Bob was so thoughtful; he rented a limo for the night. I took her in the afternoon to get her hair done and had a bottle of champagne for the limo so she could have a little. I had also bought her a "little black dress" some time ago, and suggested she try that. I also wore a little black dress. She looked marvelous, grown up, and had the time of her life with all our personal attention! I made it through the whole show (ended at 10:55) without falling asleep, which is a big improvement for me. All the chicks are back in the nest; Lila and Noah both came home from sleepaway camp on Monday and it's been laundry, laundry, laundry ever since.

I still haven't had my dress fitted and I only have 28 days to go! I hope I come across a pitying seamstress next week..... We also don't have our honeymoon nailed down--Bob came home early yesterday and after 7 hours, still no decision. One in the runnng is an Alaska cruise, so get ready Terri just in case!

I'm sending prayers to our whole group for a physically painless weekend and an emotionally helpful one since it seems we all have issues besides our health to contend with.

To do:
    HONEYMOON decision
    Dodger game tomorrow
    take Rxs to pharmacy and pick them up
    errands for kids (all to everywhere and be done with it)

Molly, hold on g/f; school will start soon and we'll arrange to meet. If you need to vent, just do it! I had an adaptive therapist here when the earthquake hit to observe my parenting skills (lucky me) and set up a therapy schedule for Josh. I'm not comparing, but when Josh was young I looked to teenagers to see how they were doing. It seems impossible now, but your "baby" could be playing Varsity football in 10 years, so that's why I tell you what Josh is doing.

Be well all,
  11. greygodess

greygodess New Member

I was just about done with a post and I messed it up and it disappeared. So I will try again.

Yesterday our dear grandaughter came in contact wiht her neighbor's hot motorcycle exhaust and got a nice size 2cnd degree burn on her leg. She is taking tylenol with codeine and it is making her hyper. Which she doesn't need. She has enough energy for 5 kids. On top of that her parents woke up yesterday morning to find their minivan's steering column broken up. Some one tried to steal it. it is a '94 so no insurance for repairs. Not a good day for them.

Terri: I am sorry about your mil. I hope they can find a good treatment for her. Nice to hear about your son's girlfriend.

Anne Theresa: A pain in the neck is awful. I think I would rather have a pain anywhere else. Get well soon.

Nancy: Happy birthday to Katy. I hope she continues to do better and that she adjusts to the breakup.

Sore Betty: I had never heard of this illness before. From what you wrote I assume it is not a one time thing and that it can happen again. I hope not.

That's about it until next week. (tomorrow):) Godbless
    [This Message was Edited on 08/02/2008]
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

I've been busy, busy, busy lately and hope it lets up soon...

We switched beds around yesterday to give Katy the larger guest room and make it easier for hubby to get ready for work in the mornings. Still have a few odd pieces of furniture to find room for somewhere but all in all, it was a good thing to do.

I finished Katy's laundry, cooked pizzas for dinner and I'm just about exhausted.

Need to go to the grocery this morning and hopefully can rest after that.

She handled her birthday dinner with her hubby surprisingly well. And we had a very nice day together that day at our local mall. Her legs swelled too much to go downtown with her friend that day, but the 3 of us had a great time anyway.

Sorry ladies, getting tired already this morning so I won't respond to all individually.