What's on Your To-Do List: July 5 - 11

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EllenComstock, Jul 5, 2010.

  1. EllenComstock

    EllenComstock New Member

    Hi, Girls:

    Well, my computer, as usual these days, is malfunctioning again. I had just typed a message and I lost my Internet connection so I couldn't send it and it was lost. I am only going to type a little. I am having a lot of problems lately with my laptop. I should have my nephew look at it. Okay, I will try and send this.

  2. EllenComstock

    EllenComstock New Member

    Now, let's hope it will send this second message. This is getting to be a real pain. Anyway, I'm sorry I haven't been on here as much, but now that I have my garden and yard to care for, Ive been extra busy. Also, there are all the outside activities to do this time of year. Harry and I went to a festival on Saturday. We listened to an oldies group that we like and haven't seen in a long time. Afterward we saw a wonderful fireworks show. I took some pictures. Not sure how they turned out. Pictures of fireworks can be kind of tricky.

    It's been so nice having Harry home for a few days. He gets so little time off and it's been getting him so burned out. I know we shouldn't complain with the economy, but he doesn't even get full weekends any more.

    I think I told you that I applied for disability back in May, but I'm not letting it get me stressed out. I know it will be a long time before all of this gets straightened out. In Michigan the waiting time is up to three years now. But I am fortunate in that I have a spouse that makes good money.

    You won't believe where I am rigtht now-at the laundramat with Harry! He wanted to wash his sleeping bag he uses in the semi and it's too big to wash ata home. So I brought my computer along.

    Anne Theresa: I think you are right about maybe writing a letter about my experience I had with my second cataract surgery. So how are you feeling? I take Topamax, too.

    Terri: Sorry your husband got sick. I hope you didn't catch the bug. How does your garden look? Mine looks great, but it's dry around here so I have to water.

    I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Take care!

  3. sorekitty

    sorekitty New Member

    Hi Ellen and thanks for starting the post. I'm glad you had a nice 4th. What is growing in the garden?

    I enjoyed a lot of the activities that we did over the weekend but noticed that I have to spend a lot of time recovering from these activities. Like today, we went to the County Fair. We left the house at 9:15 and with shuttle and all were there from 10-1. I spent the rest of the afternoon in bed unable to do much at all. I had a great time and wanted my son to have a fun experience but wow I pay the price. We have a respite provider 3 afternoons a week and thankfully she was there.

    I have an allergic rash from Lunesta. It is on my face. There are red bumps all around and towards the evening some itch and burn:( I wish so much I could just be well or to just have a test to tell me EXACTLY what is wrong with me. I hate these dd!

    Hugs to all! Hope everyone else is doing okay.
  4. AnneTheresa

    AnneTheresa Member

    Hello everyone,

    Ellen, thanks for getting us started this week. I'm sorry you're having trouble with your computer - that can be very frustrating, I know. I'm glad you enjoyed your 4th of July celebration.

    Canada Day was the 1st of July and, since my best friend celebrated her first anniversary as a non-smoker on the same day, I took her out for a celebratory dinner that evening. It was much fun and many of the folks in the restaurant were dressed in red & white and carrying small flags, etc.

    I'm feeling okay, thanks for asking. I didn't realize you use topomax - thanks for letting me know. I really like that med. but find I need to increase slowly - too much too soon doesn't work for me. I hope you continue to enjoy your gardening and that this recent heatwave doesn't get you down.

    Like you, Molly, I require a lot of down-time to recover from events and outings. It's bothersome to realize that a 2 or 3 hour outing will often require me to spend the next day resting. Sometimes I surprise myself with a bit more stamina but generally speaking, I can't go out two days in a row. Aside from my daily walks, I schedule every other day as a rest day. I hope your rash clears up.

    To-Do Today

    I'm going into Toronto today with my friend who has a doctor's appointment. She'll drop me off at the mall while she's at her appointment :) After I get home, if I have any energy left, I'll do the following:

    go to lab for blood test
    make dinner
    make up daily pill dispensers

    God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  5. sorekitty

    sorekitty New Member

    Hi all,

    Anne Theresa-Happy belated Canada Day! I am glad you had a nice dinner with your friend. My rash seems to have improved a lot. Is Toronto having that heat wave? I thought about you when I saw that on the news. Is it also hot where you live? I hope you are surviving the heat because it usually does a number on those with the dd.

    We are having very strange weather. It is onshore flow. Clouds, drizzle each morning and the sun doesn't make an appearance!

    swim lesson for my son
    summer school for son 11-2 (I will rest then have a therapy appointment)
    spend time with son
    respite help at 4 (I will do grocery shopping, cooking and clean if able)

  6. AnneTheresa

    AnneTheresa Member

    Hello everyone,

    Thanks, Molly for your happy wishes. I'm glad your rash is clearing up. To answer your questions, yes it is the Toronto area that's in the midst of a terrible heat wave (TO is a 90 minute drive from where I live. Our area is effected as well).

    It doesn't surprise me that the weather is strange in your area as well. In one way or another, it seems to be unusual weather everywhere.

    In spite of the weather, my little trip was fun yesterday. (No doubt owing to the air-conditioned car and the air conditioned stores!). One of the stores had brand-name summer clothes on at 75% off so I was fortunate to buy two tank-tops - one in a rust/red colour and the other in a light peach colour.

    I've spent today resting. In fact, it's 6 p.m. and I'm still in pajamas. I'm usually not *this* exhausted after an outing but I expect the weather drained me (as much as I tried to avoid being outside, I ended up walking outside for about 20 minutes looking for a particular store) .

    That same afternoon, my sister came home early from work, sick with a migraine-like headache (something that seldom happens to her) which we think was caused by heat and/or dehydration.

    I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so I'll have to brave the weather again, but beyond that, I plan to stay indoors with my air conditioning.

    To Do Today

    fold & put away laundry
    clean rabbit cage
    play with bunny
    read and rest

    God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  7. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    Good Morning all....

    Sorry I've been missing in action for so long, all I can say is that I've been very, very busy....

    Since it looks as if my husband didn't get that job, (although we just found out that it hasn't been filled either) we've been working our butts off around the house trying to fix things that have been bothering me for ages.

    A few weeks ago I made the mistake of doing hubby's laundry and realized what a poor set-up he had in 'his' bedroom so we bought new furniture for him. Much, much better, it's even a very tall dresser (he's 6'7" tall) and now his room is very soothing to look at, arranged much better and pretty too.

    Since that worked out so well, we bought Katy new furniture the next weekend. A bit harder in her room since she had old furniture to get rid of but again, a sigh of relief looking at a soothing, matching room where all of her things fit. (European homes do not have closets)

    In between doing those things, we've cleared the home of the 'to do' stuff that stares you in the face yet never seems to get finished. We did it....since he was bringing his truck home on weekends to get the furniture, we filled it with unneeded stuff to go right back out the door!

    Honestly, I've been busy every single day, either shopping, driving Katy back and forth to work, eating out etc.....actually it's amazing what I'm accomplishing, but the sun is shining and I'm feeling really good for a change. Now I have a hard time sitting still.

    We've also had a heat wave (with no air conditioning) and it's wonderful since about 2 weeks ago I was wearing a winter coat and sweater!

    We had a great 4th of July weekend, watched the World Cup at one of our favorite restaurants downtown next to a lovely Gothic Cathedral for both the Netherlands and Germany games. We had a blast and it was very exciting....then hubby got sick and he's just gone back to work today.

    It was the oddest thing, he was running fevers but with no other symptoms. Even now he has to take Ibuprofen every few hours so it doesn't come back.

    Tomorrow after I take Katy to work I need to stop by the hospital and get the prescription for my Enzymes. That usually leads to lunch out at another of my favorite eateries.

    Hugs all, (need to eat again and finish my laundry)

  8. sorekitty

    sorekitty New Member

    Nancy it is so nice to hear from you!

    I know people aren't on this post much over the weekend but I have questions for you! I will be asking next week about Topomax since some of you said you take it. I just heard that the ped neurologist wants to start my 8yo son on it for his seizures.

    Also, I spoke too soon and the rash is back with a vengence. I just got back from the dr and he confirmed it is an allergic reaction to the Lunesta. It is all over my face and feels awful.

    Hugs and hope you have a good weekend

  9. AnneTheresa

    AnneTheresa Member

    Hello all,

    Nancy, it's good to hear from you! I'm happy to know your absence was due to your being busy, rather than ill.

    I'm sorry your husband wasn't offered the job he was hoping to get. (Although, with the job not filled yet, is it possible he's still in the running?)

    It sounds like you've been very busy. Focusing on making your home more comfortable, functional and aesthetically pleasing is always a good use of time and energy. I'm so glad you're feeling well enough to doing some of these things - how wonderful!

    I've been feeling pretty good lately too. On my doctor's advice I increased the medications topomax and synthroid. Since then, I've seen a decrease in pain and an increase in energy. Also (and perhaps as a result of less pain and more energy) my depression has lifted significantly.

    I'm glad you had a nice July 4th celebration.

    Molly, my sister's son has epilepsy and, when he was a child, topomax was one of the medications he was on. My sister said it worked well but it made him too sleepy.

    From my own experience I can tell you the side-effects (sleepy, dizziness,) did clear up after a few weeks. Introducing the med slowly works best for me. God bless Liam. I hope the doctors find an effective medication for him, one with no troubling side-effects.

    I'm sorry to hear about your allergy. Will you be coming off that medication now?

    It's Saturday night - it's midnight - now it's Sunday morning. I've had a lot going on, too much to write about now when I'm so tired. Suffice it to say, all's well that ends well and tomorrow's a new day.

    Speaking of tomorrow, here's what I hope to accomplish:

    To Do List

    shower & shampoo
    help my sister with Excel
    shop for groceries
    cut up fruits and vegtables

    God bless,
    Anne Theresa