What's on your 'To Do' list May 18 to May 24?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, May 18, 2009.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Yesterday I got my CT scan done and I think I passed with flying colors so no pancreatic cancer for me!!! What a load off my shoulders....

I was pretty tired after the test so I rested most of the day away.

Today, somehow.....someone canceled my husband's appt with my gastro doc so again his appt is postponed until June 3rd now. I have no idea how that happened, but there is a new girl working the appt desk now. Last week we cancelled 2 appts that I never made so I'm guessing that was the problem. (one was for immunizations, one for 8:30 in the morning which is never going to happen)

Today .... I now have the day to myself. I have a pr of jammies that need to be sewn and my sister has a day off so I'm going to call her later today.

I had a great idea for hubby's lunches today, I made him another loaf of gluten free bread and it's just sitting there. So I told him to slice it, take it to work and he can now go with the other guys to the commissary deli counter like he used to and have a sandwich made on his special bread. If they're careful and make it on the plastic wrap, it shouldn't be a problem for him.

He can even go to Subway some days and have them make a sandwich on his special bread too. He's been eating salads for lunch for months now and it gets old. Also he's too big of a guy to just eat a salad for lunch. Not enough fuel to get through the day.

Hope we hear from you all soon.....

2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hi Nancy and all,
    Such good news you've shared with us! What a relief to know that there's no cancer.....yay! Now if you could just find out why you are shrinking.....I'm also glad to hear of your problem solving lunch idea for hubby. It's amazing what good ideas we can have sometimes. I like to think they come down from above.

I don't think I even posted last week...I made a quick trip to visit my folks in Iowa. My dad is not doing well. He is severely diabetic and I don't think he will live much longer. But his depression is the worst I've seen. He wanted to be done with it all. The doctor is giving him an antidepressant, so I'm hoping and praying that helps. Sometimes, though, I just want his suffering to stop. I will have to leave it in God's hands.

Sorry this is short, but I have another recital this week to play for, so I've gotta run.

Hugs to all,

3. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Can you believe? My husband is outdoors shoveling snow.

This was not on out to do list!

The poor birds can not get to the bugs and worms, it is awful for them, not so pretty on this 19th day in May.

Then, there are the flowers and the leaf buds, I hope that there is not too much damage.

Hopeing for warmer days. Love Denamay

[This Message was Edited on 05/19/2009]
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello ladies, I'm home after a wonderful visit with my sons. In fact, I've been home since Sunday afternoon but I've sleeping since then - off and on - because I was so very exhausted from traveling. Tired, but happy; my mother's heart filled to the brim. It was great to see my sons. The dinner/theatre was lovely; the buffet was marvelous and 'the Producers' was very well done. Our suite was nice & spacious, very comfy and conducive to visiting. It was a whirlwind of a visit - over before we knew it - but wonderful all the same.

I had some trouble with my ability to walk while we were away. We spent about an hour at the mall (something I can usually manage) and it was terribly difficult for me to walk, even using my walker. Worse yet, was how I felt afterward; much pain and stiffness and my ankles swollen to double their size. I expect this is because I've not been getting my proper exercise lately, favoring my scooter over my daily walks. So beginning today, I'm back to my daily walk and/or elliptical session. Move it or lose it!

My goodness, Denamay, I shudder to think of snow falling this time of year. Where are you? Here in Ontario, we've had a couple nights of frost warnings and the days have been cool and windy but so far, no snow. Stay warm.

Terri, I'm sorry to hear about your dad's condition. I hope the anti-depressant is fast-acting and gives him some relief. I know how difficult this must be for you and my heart goes out to you. I hope your recital goes well this week and that you take some enjoyment from it.

((Nancy)), I'm so glad you're cancer-free - what a frightful time you've had waiting for the all-clear. I'm sure your husband will love the idea of being able to eat restaurant sandwiches again - what a good idea!

When I first began eating vegetarian - 25 years ago - the only thing I could eat in a restaurant was a salad. Now-a-days all restaurants (even steak houses) offer at least one, usually several, vegetarian alternatives. As gluten-free products become more popular, you may begin to see them available in mainstream restaurants. Already, healthy-food-type restaurants provide the gluten-free alternatives, at least they do in my neck of the woods.

To-Do Today

dust bedroom/office
    mop tiled floors
    clean coffee machine
    editing project
    weight watchers meeting

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Anne Theresa, so good to hear from you again and I'm glad your visit went well. A bit concerned about the swelling in your ankles though, could it be caused by a medication?

Denamay, good to see you joining the 'to do' thread! I can't imagine shoveling snow at this time of year either. We've had some mornings when you can still see your breath, but it warms up nicely after the sun comes up.

Terri, I'm so sorry your Dad's not doing well. This is such a touchy subject and I hope the new medication will help his depression. But sometimes I think our parents know when they're 'done' trying and I believe from the bottom of my heart that my Mom knew her time was coming long before we did.

I remember when I was 19 & pregnant with my son, I went to visit my grandfather in the hospital. He was telling me how tired he was of fighting and all I could tell him was that it was 'ok' and I understood. There are few dignities left when you're hospitalized with people poking and prodding in all of those places, that it just gets old......

And they did find the reason for me shrinking...Pancreatic Enzyme Insufficiency which is sometimes caused by a tumor of the Pancreas that blocks the ducts. That's why I had the CT scan done....

Although I woke up again at 4:00 am, Katy's being released from the hospital today so I'll be driving to the Black Forrest again to go pick her up. I'll probably need to stop at a pharmacy to get her new meds since we don't have any of them. I'm hoping they'll send her home with a few days covered so I don't have to do so much in one day.

We've prepared for this as much as we can and we know that we didn't do it right last time. This time we're not prepared to lose 'us' nor do we want the peacefulness of our home to disappear to complaining and stress.... We'll hope for the best.

Hugs all,

6. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

To answer your question, Nancy, my experience with swollen ankles may very well have been a side-effect of the new med - Dave had that same thought. My ankles have been fine since then so, hopefully, this was a one-off. My mum's ankles used to swell, as do my sister's. Thankfully, mine seldom bother me. I hope all goes well with Katy's homecoming. (((Gentle Hugs)))

I'm still working on yesterday's to-do list, so that - in addition to a scoot to the grocery store & back - is where I'm putting my energy today. I'd like to do some scrap-booking so if I have any energy left after grocery shopping, that's what I'll do.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2009]
  7. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I haven't been able to use the computer all day. My guys are at a scouts meeting so I can finally come here!

I went to the doctor yesturday and got all of my prescriptions updated. I will start alternating my sleep meds each month. It is supposed to help it work better. I am just content to stay with what I have and not do any experimental treatments or anything that might make me feel worse before I get better (if I were to get better).

On Monday I had a really difficult time with Liam while the behavior tutors were here. It was awful. I was feeling hopeless. I mean how long can this go on? I was dissapointed in myself and my son. Today went much better. It is like a rollercoaster although I do not know how long it will last. He is so smart that it is making it all the more challenging.

I miss my husband. I have to call for respite care. We have an actual get away all by ourselves planned for August. I wish it was sooner.

I'm getting nervous for summer. I have lived some real nightmares with my son. I hope I can do it without going backwards with my health. BTW my son is so darn adorable and really funny too. We think he may be a scientist or a comedianne! He lost another tooth today. Doesn't 7 sound so old? He is totally out of babydom! I cannot believe he is 7. It doesn't roll off my tongue at all!

Nancy-Yay! I'm so happy your CT scan went well and that you got the results so fast. Is there a treatment for Pancreatic Enzyme Insufficiency? All the best to you and your hubby in trying to put your relationship at the center. Wow it is so hard to do sometimes.

Terri-Sorry about your dad. That is a very difficult thing for everyone.

Denamay-Welcome. I cannot believe you have so much snow!

Anne Theresa-Aww your visit with your sons sounds great. Is the Producers with Matthew Broderick? It's great that you want to get right back into exercising. I have been doing daily walks and am so proud of myself!

Thursday to do:
    volunteer in my son's 1st grade class

Costco-prescription and shopping

phone calls to respite workers

research OB/GYN so I can make an appointment

8. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

The weather is just perfect, yesterday & today. This is especially nice after last week's bout of cold. I'll surely make a point of getting outside today.

Hi Molly, I know what you mean about not wanting to 'rock the boat' insofar as medications are concerned. Once I have a combination that's working fairly well, I'm hesitant to change for fear of relapse. Of course, this fear of change could also cause me to 'miss the boat' in terms of an opportunity for improvement (I would hate to turn down a medication or treatment that would ultimately have been of benefit) but ongoing experimentation gets old fast :)

I hope you can get some respite care, a bit of time to yourself will do you good. Seven is an adorable age, challenging for all that age and more-so for Liam, God bless him. I'm sorry you feel disappointment in self & son - that can't be a very good feeling - perhaps you can stand back a bit and re-frame the experience with a more positive perspective. That's what I try to do when a situation has me feeling bad about myself. To answer your question about the Producers, yes I think Mathew B. was in the film version of the Producers. I don't know the names of the actors that played the stage version but they were awesome! Take good care.

To Do Today

make bed
    make dental appointment
    make pill dispensers
    casserole for dinner
    scoot to pharmacy
    take a nap
    author's event / reading

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Molly, you have to give yourself a break....know that you're doing the best that you can and that nobody tries harder than you. Liam is lucky to have such a caring Mom.

Sometimes I think putting things in perspective is hard for you because your son is special. But everybody has bad days, all kids act up and they do all grow out of it eventually. All Moms want to pull their hair out some days, and your plate is piled higher than ours was....so be kind to yourself. No one is at their 'best' all of the time.

Anne Theresa, it's wonderful to see you back and posting again. Please be good to yourself.

Well I picked Katy up from the hospital on Wednesday and I'm so glad I did. Without even realizing it, it was the BEST day to take care of this....I know we've had problems getting her medications in one day before and wanted to give myself time to get them. Today was her other option for release.

We're driving home and she mentions that she wished she'd checked the release paperwork before we left to make sure there was a prescription in it. Almost back to Stuttgart at this time....so we check (had to find the paperwork in my purse driving 60mph) and of course, no prescription and all of her meds had changed.

We go straight to the medical clinic on base only to find our doc gone for the week. They gave us an appt, so we left to have lunch. I had woken up at 4:00 again that morning and was so tired. Being gone so long had messed up my eating schedule too.

Blessings, blessings and more blessings.....the doc gave us the scripts although we had to increase 2 of her meds for the dosages they carry on base. Took us an hour at the pharmacy with only 1 person in front of us but we left with all of her new medications.

Took me 6 hours to get home from the time I left and I was just exhausted. Spent yesterday resting as well. So yesterday was a German holiday so we couldn't have gotten her meds out in town. Today and Monday are American holidays too so if we hadn't finished all that day, she would have gone off her meds after 2 days home. They only sent her with yesterday's meds and this 1 morning dose!!! Yikes, that was close...

Today I'll have to figure out her medication schedule and fill a new pill pack for her. She's on meds 4 times a day now.

The Depakote might be giving her tremors, she broke a coffee cup and ashtray in her first 5 minutes out of bed yesterday.

I also need to get some groceries in the house....I'm hoping to rest a bit as well.

Hugs all,

10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I have some devastating news for all of you. Last Friday, which was my last day of work for the summer, I was called into Dr Nesbary's office and fired from my job of 20 years. I learned later that another secretary who had worked at the college for 1 1/2 years was also fired that day. Neither she nor I believe we were fired because of the recession. Her boss was very nasty to her and I know her boss as I used to work in that office. I believe I was fired because of Nancy VanOver, the professor in Interior Design, who was telling untrue stories about me to Agnes Caldwell an administrator. Why she doesn't like me I don't know. I never said an unkind word to her and I never did any work for her. I can't remember if I told all of you this or not, but back in January I found a copy of an e-mail on my desk between Nancy and Agnes blaming me for things and things I said that weren't true. I can't believe Nancy or Agnes would have given me this copy, but I don't know who did. I guess I will never know, but I do know it came from Agnes' office as it was with some papers from her office. I guess I had a secret friend who wanted to warn me.

At that time I didn't know what to do about it. If I had known it would lead to my firing, I guess I should have done something. But what? The secretaries have no backing, no union. I am just sick about what's happened. I loved my job. It meant everything to me and I know that the other professors liked me. When Cathie Royer heard about it (professor in art) she wondered if there was some way she could help me get my job back. Don Kleinsmith who I also do work for, has been trying to get my job back, but I don't think it will do any good. The administrators there are rotten to the core and always have been.

Lori, the other lady who got fired, said someone heard her former boss say that they will be replacing Lori so obviously she didn't get fired due to cutbacks. It will be interesting to see what they do about my job. Cathie gave me a name of a person to call who could recommend a good lawyer, but I don't know if I have a case yet or not. If they take a full-time person on campus and split their job so they work half-time at their old job and half-time at my old job, I don't think there is anything I can do. But if they hire an outside person, then I will definitely go to an attorney. I do have a disability and can probably get them on that.

My friend Dianna said that the library has an attorney come there once a month and you can tell them your story and he will decide if you have a case or not for nothing. So I will call the library and find out when he is coming next. Of course I don't know what kind of lawyer he is and how knowledgeable he is on disability issues. And here I had all that special equipment the College got me and I had to leave it all behind.

The college is giving me a month of pay and a month of insurance, which I think is pretty skimpy especially since Lori got the same thing. I've been there 20 years and Lori just 1 1/2 years. It seems to me that a 20 year person should get more.

I am at my brother's house right now using their computer and I e-mailed Ann in the Human Resource Office (she was in the office with Nesbary when I got fired) and asked her some questions. I didn't want to call her and this way I've got her answers in writing. I don't trust
    the administrators. I also have my pension that I was counting on in my retirement.

When I was fired, both Ann and Dr. Nesbary were very cold. When I asked why, Dr. Nesbary said that "we aren't here to discuss the whys". Lori said she got the same treatment. I think it's strange to fire a secretary who is the only secretary in the academic building. I have never been written up for anything and in the 7 years I've worked in that building, I've never had an evaluation. None of us building secretaries are evaluated. As far as I know, the other secretaries are evaluated once a year. That's the way it was before I was a building secretary.

So as you can imagine, I've been a wreak this past week. Mentally I find myself doing the craziest things. I can't concentrate. Thank goodness I have those sleeping pills or I probably wouldn't be sleeping at all. One of the secretaries did me a huge favor that could have gotten her in huge trouble had she been caught. She managed to get my resume off my computer and e-mail it to her computer. She changed it so it showed the last day I worked there. I came in early this morning (thankfully it's summer so hardly anyone around) and I brought in a flash drive and transferred my resume to that. I brought in some nice paper and we printed out a lot of resumes so I can go job hunting. Several people from the college have gone out of their way to help me since this happened and I really appreciate it. But especially Nancy. She could have gotten in big trouble if she had been caught. And she's near retirement age.

Nancy: I am do relieved you don't have cancer! But still the mystery remains as to what is wrong with you.

I'm sorry I am not answering the rest of you, but I need to leave my brother's house now, but I will the next time. Today is my 10th wedding anniversary. Harry and I celebrated at a nice restaurant last night since he won't be home until late tonight. But please keep me in your prayers. I go from crying and wanting to just lay in bed to then forcing myself to keeping busy. I am praying too and reminding myself that I still have a lot to be thankful for, but I will miss my friends at the college.

11. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Nancy, I'm so glad you got Katy's meds without too much of a hassle. I appreciate the stress of needing to ensure you have the right meds on hand. I hope you get some rest today.

My back has been wicked sore for the past week. Last eve. I had the bright idea of putting my back brace on and now the pain's improved by 50%. What a relief!

To-Do Today

put dishes away, clean counters & sinks
    empty wastebaskets
    swish washroom
    make bed
    put clothes away
    scoot to the store
    take a nap
    organize photos for scrapbook project
    make pill dispensers
    walk with sweetie

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  12. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Ellen-It is shocking what has happened with your job! How easy it was for them to just fire you after 20 years with no reason why? That is awful. I'm so sorry. How devastating. I hope you do have a good case against them. It is not fair at all. Congrats on your 10th anniversary. I hope you can have a nice time and take your mind off the job although it must be difficult.

Nancy-What a time you had getting Katy and her meds!!! I would think they could give you enough meds to get through the long weekend! i hope your rest helps and you are able to get out to the grocery store.

You are right about my needing to go easier on myself. The therapist was just telling me not to treat Liam looking at his special needs but as just Liam.

Anne Theresa-I'm glad your back brace works so well. That is good news! Enjoy your walk with sweetie;)

This morning I got my hair cut. i love it! It feels so much better since I was long overdue. I am really looking forward to the long weekend. We don't have any big plans but will probably bbq and watch some family movies. Me and Liam watched the movie Hotel for Dogs yesturday. It was so cute and funny. Lisa Kudrow from Friends is in it and her character is hilarious. Anyone else see this?

To do:

David and I pick up Liam and go to our weekly autism therapy

grocery shop

take Liam to his 2nd part of a research study for autism (he got a $10 gift card from Target last time and was soooo excited)

visit my mom afterwards

Have a nice weekend everyone,

[This Message was Edited on 05/22/2009]
  13. JimB51

JimB51 Member

Did you say sub sandwiches?? mmm! Sounds Great!
    - make mine Italian. -Do you deliver?
  14. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Anne Theresa, I'm so glad you remembered your back brace and that it helped with the pain. I often forget the 'little' things and wonder why it took me so long to come up with the idea....better late than never??

Molly, I'm so glad that the therapist mentioned this to you too. I think of you often....and just believe that if you're always looking at Liam as 'special' than you'll never have a normal day in your life. It makes your plate 'too full' the burden 'too heavy'.......Although he is special, he's also a kid too....perhaps hard to differentiate when he's just being a kid or acting up because of the Autism.

It's a whole new way to look at things....but it will allow you at times to just have a crappy kid day, or a less than usual patience day like we all have. It might make it easier some days....I hope this is making sense because I mean it with the best of intentions. From one Mom of a special kid to another.

Trying to separate a crappy kid day from an Autistic 'will I ever be able to handle all of this' day will be a goal......but it might make it easier some days to just say, 'oh well, he's only 5 (6) (7) or 15!!

Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear of your devastating news and I think it's just awful. Will you be able to collect unemployment?

I sincerely hope there's something better out there for you and that this is just a case of a door closing because you're supposed to look out the window and find something else....

Yesterday I still couldn't do much more than go back to bed, watch a bit of tv then back to bed again. I'm hoping for more energy today but again woke up at 4:26. I'm beginning to hate that time of the morning!

Hugs all,

15. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Ellen, I'm sorry you lost your job. It must feel like the rug's been pulled from beneath your feet. I agree with you; a month's severance pay is terrible - you should be getting much more than that.

If you have the energy & resources to fight this in court, you may want to work to gain some of what you're entitled. Take good care of yourself, in particular mind your stress level. It may seem frightening now but you can trust God will show you the way.

Molly, I haven't seen Hotel for Dogs but I'll surely rent it. I love children's movies & cartoons. I'm looking forward to seeing 'UP' which is opening soon in 3D. I'm glad you're happy with your haircut. A new do can go a long way to lift the spirits :)

Nancy, I wake up in the wee hours, too. It steals my energy and then, by early evening, I'm ready to go back to bed. I hope things are okay with having Katy home and I hope your getting the rest you need.

I've done most of the household chores. I only need to vacuum & water plants, then I can get on with my creative project, a new Bunka (Japanese Embroidery) pattern.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa