What's on your 'To Do' list May 25 to June 1st?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, May 24, 2009.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

This morning I have another facial appt that I'm looking forward to, although I hate leaving the house when my hubby's off of work.

But...he's ordered a new phone/cable/internet service and they're coming to the house this morning to install everything and that's his area of fun so I won't mind missing that. And it'll be nice to have more American channels on tv. Armed Forces tv does their best but I think I'm going to love having Turner Classic movies for all of those days that I'm in bed! I love watching old movies, classics....

I might have forgotten to mention that Katy now has another new dx...she has schizoaffective disorder on top of everything else (with depression). But she's being medicated for it, seems to be doing very well but it's too early to tell.

Ellen, I hope we still get to hear from you soon. I'm hoping that things might be looking up for you.

Hugs all,

2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all

It's been a long time since I've been up & dressed (with my daily housework chores done) by 11:00 a.m. I hope this good spell lasts a long time and I wish the same sense of wellness for each of you.

Yesterday was nice. Instead of using the taxi service as we would have in the past, sweetie and I did all our shopping & errands (office depot, hardware store, pharmacy, bank, movie rental & grocery store) using my scooter & his bicycle. It was ultra fun. That marks the furthest I've driven Maria (I've finally named her, a lovely name I think) and, except for stalling once (this is usual), she did just fine.

Nancy, I hope you enjoy your facial today. Facials are so nice & relaxing and can do wonders for the complexion. I hope Katy's new medication works for her. Has she been able to continue with her writing project or do her symptoms and/or medications effect her ability to write? I love TCM as well - I can spend an afternoon or evening curled up & watching a movie.

- Bunka project
    - scoot to store
    - scrapbook
    I've been procrastinating on making scrapbooks for my sons so I've finally decided to take a page from Flylady's book and commit to working on them for 10 minutes a day.
    - take a nap
    - make spaghetti & spinach for dinner
    - walk with sweetie
    - clean re-cycling area (this will take a couple days)
    - shower & shampoo
    - watch movie (maybe)

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

3. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Last week at this time we had a foot of snow.

It is all gone now and it has warmed up so I can do a bit of gardening.

I am planting a few veggies.

But, I think I planted onions right on top of the swiss chard.

Talk about a fuzzy brain.

Anyway, we shall see in a week or two.

I have a row of radishes and another of lettuce, then I am finished.

There is a bit of weeding in my shade garden and then I will plant begonias there.

I am off to my book club this evening, we just read "the Last Lectutre" by Randy Pausch, anyone else read it?

Tomorrow is another day and I am not sure what it holds.

Anne Theresa, I also took a leaf out of the Flylady's book and it does help to keep on top of things.

Happy days, Denamay

[This Message was Edited on 05/25/2009]
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Anne Theresa, I'm so happy for you that you were able to get out and about and have had a good day! It's been so long and you deserve it!

Denemay (sorry spelling) I'm sure the garden will turn out just fine....as long as you can recognize the product it'll be great....

I have a doc appt today although there was some confusion. The reminder service wasn't working over the long weekend....

I need to wake Katy up for this, she needs blood work done to check on her new meds. So we'll leave early so she can have this done. She can't take her morning pills until this is finished.

I'm guessing afterwards she'll want to go to the thrift store on base since she hasn't really been anywhere in so long.

Hugs all,

5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Things I want to try to do this week

Finish pulling weeds around the back door & rake up the leaves & garbage on the patio
    VAcuum out my car
    Get the car washed

Have a good week everyone
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I'm at the library. Fortunately, they got another computer here so that will help in getting one. Of course the kids are still in school. Once they are out, it will really be hard. But my brother has a computer. He doesn't use it, my sister-in-law does, but they said I can use theirs whenever I want. My SIL is retired, so she's home a lot.

Well, I'm still surviving. I've just been talking to a lot of people, mainly secretaries, at the College. I'm gathering information just in case I do have a case. Mainly right now it's just a waiting game to see what they do with my old job. If they take a secretary who is already working there and split her job in half where she is working half-time her job and half-time my old job then there is nothing I can do. But if they hire someone outside then I think I will have a case.

Then Harry wondered if they got rid of me because I was part-time with insurance and I was expensive. It's highly unusual to get a part-time job with insurance. And I can't think of another secretary there that was part-time. Although my sister-in-law (Harry's sister) thinks that the insurance rates would go up for everyone with Blue Cross, not just Adrian College.

On Friday I went to the College (fortunately not many people around this time of year in the academic buildings) and my friend Nancy had gone over to Mahan to get Don's files off my computer (the English professor I had worked for) and while she was there she e-mailed my resume off my computer over to hers. So I didn't have to retype it. I should have done this before. But I came with nice resume paper and a flash drive and transferred the resume on to it after I put the date I was fired on it. And I made 50 copies of my resume. That was so nice of Nancy to do that as she could have gotten in big trouble had she been caught. And I told her so. At times like this you know who your true friends are. Professors Cathie Royer and Don Kleinsmith tried to get my job back, but of course they couldn't do anything. But they have helped in other ways.

I have applied at a couple of places. I applied here at the library. They said they weren't taking applications, but did take my resume and letters of recommendation. I'm still waiting for letters of recommendation from the professors. I just hope that they don't throw it away. They said that they would put it on file, but you never know.

Harry came up with a good idea of volunteering at the library. It's not that I'm bored, but it might get my foot in the door at the library. I asked and they do have a part-time secretarial job here, although it's a long shot that the person would quit. Also, in a job interview it would look good that I was doing some work while unemployed. I would show that I have some initiative. And I think that it would boost my morale. So I filled out the volunteer application and the gentleman at the desk said they will call me. I asked him how many volunteers they have right now and he said only three or four and some of them don't come in often.
    So I put on the application that I wanted to work once a week for three hours on a Tuesday or Thursday.

Nancy: I'm so sorry that Katy has another diagnosis. She needed that like she needed a hole in her head. When did she get home? I feel like I'm a little behind on what's going on with everyone. I guess I've been in a fog since I lost my job, but I know I have to get back up and join the world again. That's great that you will be getting more channels. The first time I went to visit my friend in Austria they hardly got any channels, but the second time they had all kinds of channels and even had shows we have here in the U.S.

Anne Theresa: I'm so glad that you and "Maria" are enjoying eachother! And you are saving gas, too! I never named mine, but Harry bought me a little sign for mine that's on the back of the seat that says "Hot Rider!" I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but now I do.

Denamay: I'm sorry I haven't welcomed you yet to our group, but now I will. Where do you live? You certainly have strange weather. I'm glad you can now get your vegetable garden in. My husband rotatilled mine yesterday and I will be putting mine in this week.

Beadlady: I don't want to forget to welcome you to our group either!

Jim and I are getting together tomorrow. I feel as though I have really neglected him the past several weeks. But he has been so understanding. But we have talked on the phone.

Well, it's time to get off.

7. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I have been feeling lonely lately. I can't really wrap my brain around it just yet. Even though I feel this I am very reticent to reach out or call anyone. I have had depression, anxiety and insomnia since I was a young teen (cannot remember before that).

Anyways I told my husband that I miss him. He is not giving me the attention I need. I do not really try to talk to him about in depth things because he doesn't listen. It is like he can't, he is somewhere else. It hurts too much so I keep a lot to myself. I know he is consumed with his job and the stock market and he is totally responsible for paying our mortgage. I know it weighs on him. It just sucks that he couldn't even watch the movie "Cheaper by the Dozen" with us last night. He says he has no time for frivolity (lol). Please . . .

I have had it on my list to make phone calls to respite care but I called two last week and have had so much on my list it is hard to get to it. So tomorrow I have to.

I tried to call a new OB/GYN today. I called at 12:30 not realizing what time it was. The answering service told me they won't be back from lunch til 2!!!! Well that is not a good time for me because I have to pick up my son at 2:20 and i nap before so I end up rushing over to the school. So I tried again while my son was in the library. They put me on hold and no one answered. I hung up. Had to get back to my son. I guess I will try again tomorrow.

Seems as if everything gets put off til the next day. I'm not having fun (lol).

The whole reason I want to go to the GYN is because I have been having full on heavy periods every two weeks for the past 2 months. Am I in perimenopause? Who knows. I am 43.

Nancy-Sorry to hear about Katy having a new dx. I know it must hurt and feel upsetting. I know it is very common for those with Asperger Syndrome to have comorbid dx. Since my BIL has schizophrenia I do worry but try to keep it way in the back of my mind.

How nice for you to have a facial. You must also be enjoying your tv channels. We haven't had cable in almost 5 years!

Anne Theresa-Your travels with Maria sound good.

Denemay-I am really curious what region you live in. Do you mind sharing? You don't have to be specific. Your garden sounds devine.

Beadlady-Hi, hope you have a nice week and enjoy the clean car.

Ellen-It is so good that you have many people on your side. Sounds like you have a great attitude in putting your resume out there so quickly. The library is a good idea.

Phone calls galore~respite, doctor, Medi-Cal, friend

clothes shop for Liam

in-home behavior therapy

NO idea how much I will get done. I dread it all except shopping for Liam and calling my friend:)

8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Ellen I'm so glad to hear from you and I think the volunteer position is a great idea. I know that at least in the military it comes highly recommended for job searching.

It gets your foot in the door, and adds experience too, so that when they do hire, you'd probably be considered first.

Yes, Katy has a new diagnosis, but it might be a good thing if it's the right one and she's being medicated properly for it. It's different this time, she's been on her meds for over a month now, she's doing well, she's sharp again and so far things are going well.

Today I'm not going to do anything but rest and I need it. I had my doc appt yesterday and also scheduled an appt for physical therapy for my leg and muscles. The lady chewed me out for wearing a pair of kitten heel shoes, yuck I hate going back to flats because that's all I could wear for so long.

Now I need to go buy flats and something to wear at the gym. Just when I thought I was done buying clothes! I also need to go find a knee brace that fits, was in pain yesterday and all the brace did was keep my knee warm. I did buy a child sized skirt/short that I can wear but I'm not sure what the best thing for the gym is, since I've never been to one!!

So much to do, but today it's all going to have to wait...

Hugs all,

9. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all.

Denemay, Your garden sounds wonderful. It's been a few year's since I've gardened to that degree; at present I only have tulips & perennials. I'll likely put in a tomato plant & a few flowers this year. Welcome to the thread!

Hello Welcome! to Beadlady. I like that you've set weekly goals. I usually make daily goals but, for some of the larger jobs around the house, a weekly format would work better. Do you work with beads? Take care.

Ellen, It seems you're doing all the right things, setting all your ducks in a row. It's nice that your friends & family have been so supportive. I hope the volunteer job comes through for you. If this one doesn't, you shouldn't have trouble finding a volunteer position. In my city, there's a central agency for volunteer agencies, so a volunteer can apply to all the agencies at once by filling out one form. Maybe you have the same in your city. Enjoy your visit with Jim!

(((Molly))), I relate to some of what you're feeling and I realize how difficult it is to communicate with a person who is overly-focused on their own workplace issues. I hope you get into see the obygyn before too long. I was menopausal at 40. I hope you start to feel better and that your spirit's lift. Gentle Hugs.

Nancy, we're on the same page today in terms of declaring this much needed rest day. My pain hit a peak so I decided to go for some R&R today. I've always worn flats (I don't even know what kitten-heels are) but it sucks you're not able to wear your shoes of choice. I hope you do well with physiotherapy. My own experiences with physiotherapy have all been positive.

To-Do To Day

Since I'm resting today, my main job is to do nothing.
    I'll make leftovers for dinner, then go for my walk with Sweetie,
    watch something or read

God bless
    Anne Theresa

10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Molly you poor thing....I know that feeling when your husband isn't 'there' for you, have been going through it the past year, but katy's recent hospitalization gave us back 'US'....we finally had so much time to talk again without the interferences that we normally face.

His illness, job stresses (intense project of 3 years failed but he was the only one worldwide who had a solution cause he really cares about the guys down range) my illness, and Katy were all just too much for him. See if you can get your husband out alone, just the two of you to talk...and try to see if you can schedule a weekly time to do this as well, although I know that can seem impossible at times.

The problems and stresses we all face are too much for one person alone, we need the teamwork that our partner brings even if it's just a shoulder to lean on.

Anne Theresa, sorry about your pain level but I hope you enjoyed your day of rest. Kitten heels are about an inch high, just barely enough to be considered a heel yet very cute! Skinny heel like the higher one's but just perfect for me...

Not sure what I'm doing today but I need to go finish the paperwork on my passport or I can go shopping with Katy at our nearby small mall for new gym clothes and flat shoes. That one sounds like more fun...and my housekeeper is coming today too so it's always a good day to get out of the house.

After numerous tries to sleep yesterday, I managed to get up and sew some jammy pants so that was fun....Katy went out with a friend she met in the hospital and they went to the zoo here.

Hugs all,

11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Sorry to hear of your news, Ellen. I hope and pray something will turn up for you. It would be your right to know why you were let go so suddenly.....it probably had nothing to do with you or your performance. So many jobs are being cut left and right, I'm guessing it was an economizing decision??

I have known a few first year teachers here in Washington that have received pink slips. Too bad- one of them had already bought her first house. I hope she finds something else soon.

I've gotten most of my garden in and am waiting for an opportunity to plant my basil. I like it to be nice and hot when it's planted....no cold nights. We use it for pesto. I love the recipe out of the BH & G cookbook. I freeze up a bunch of it so we can have a taste of summer in the dead of winter.

A piano student is due to arrive, so I'll sign off....

Hugs, Terri
  12. Denamay

Denamay New Member

You all have so much going on! I could'nt keep up!

So sorry Ellen about your job, that can not be any fun.

Nancy, I know what you mean about the shoes; I had to go and buy the most ugly pair of brown oxfords, the kind I had to wear as a child.

Oh well, at least they do not hurt my feet.

I was asked where I lived that has such strange weather: I live near the Canadian Rocky Mountains in the Northwest part of Alberta.

It can snow any month of the year.

I wonder sometimes why I keep trying with the gardening for about two months of good results, if I am lucky.

We have long hours of daylight in the summer so once things get started eveything grows very fast.

It will freeze to night so I have to put blankets on my baby plants and bring those in pots indoors.
    Cheers everyone. Denamay
    [<i>This Message was Edited on 05/28/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/28/2009]
  13. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I'm at the library and Harry is with me. He had to be gone for two nights this week so it's nice to see him again. We had to activate his card for Canada so now he can drive some routes in Canada, which we are hopeful his company will be getting soon. We are surprised that not all the employees at his company didn't take advantage and sign up for it. So now we have activated his card.

I have been busy since I was last on here. I am discovering that some places, so far two schools, have you apply online, which is quite time consuming I've been told. I haven't done it yet. I've also been to Michigan Works and put my resume on there, which is a requirement to get unemployment benefits. I called my church yesterday to thank them for the two anniversary cards (we hit 10 years) and while I had the secretary on the phone, I asked her about jobs at the church. She said she was the only secretary now and has had to work 70 hours a week since the church can't afford another secretary. I came up with this idea of talking to Father Dave about working for the church, even if it's only for maybe 8 or 10 hours (whatever they can afford) and then, of course, I would still have to look for another part-time job. I always thought it would be nice to work for a church. Of course he would have to check with the Finance Committee. Of course maybe the church is so poor maybe they can't even afford this. But it's worth a try. I figure in times like this you sometimes have to be creative in job searching. Also, I did give the library my resume and letters of recommendation even though they weren't taking applications. Yesterday in the mail I got a letter from the library director saying they weren't hiring, but they would keep my resume for six months. I thought that was really nice. Must be they thought I was a really good prospect to take the time to do that.

I finally saw Jim on Weds. and we had a good time. I know I have neglected him lately, but I know he understands. I've just had so much to do and so much on my mind. Someone suggested I call our financial advisor about my pension. I don't know why I didn't think about that. So I have an appt. next Weds. morning. It sounds like I can take it out and do something with it to earn some money with it. So that makes me feel good.

So far no one else has been fired at the college, but the employees keep hearing rumors. I really feel for them.

Denamay: I was the one who asked where you live. You must have some very pretty scenery where you live, but it does sound like you have challenges in gardening there. I love to garden, too, and finally got all my flowers planted. Now I have to work on the vegetable garden.

Nancy: I'm sorry you have to buy new clothes. That must mean you are losing more weight. If you don't mind my asking, how much do you weigh now? That's nice that Katy has found a friend.

Molly: I am so sorry for all you are going through. It reminds me of last summer when Harry and I were going through so much. I wonder if some counseling would help. If your husband won't go, go alone. That's what I did. My husband did get some benefit from it, too, although he never went. I would come home and talk to him about things the counselor would suggest. Eventually things did get better and I have to believe that things will get better for you, too.

Terri: I don't believe that I was let go from my job due to cutbacks. Another lady was let go the same day and she doesn't believe that either. Long story. But thanks for the kind words.

Anne Theresa: Take care and get some rest.

I have an appt. with an attorney who comes to the library once a month and you can see him for 20 minutes and see if he thinks you have a case. He practices general law. I really think I need one who specializes in work-related issues and disability. And I really need to wait and see what they do about my old job. But it's free and I've nothing to lose. My appt. is June 18 at 6:30 pm.

Well, Harry's waiting so I better go.

14. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Hi all,
    Just poping in over here. I am in a lot of pain today and just posted on the fms board. My neck glands are hurting sooooo bad.

An update is that I got respite care for tomorrow. Three hours for my hubby and me:) I also got Tuesday evening for 2.5 hours. YAY!

I got an appointment with the OB/GYN on June 15th. I am so glad.

Nancy~I wish you sold your jammies on ebay. i love soft jammies. I'm so happy to hear Katy has a friend.

Denamay~It must be beautiful where you live. I have seen the Rocky Mountains in Colorado a couple of times and it is just gorgeous.

Ellen~Thanks for your good wishes. I know everything will be okay. it is just getting through it.

Gentle hugs to everyone I missed. Have a nice weekend.