What's on your 'To Do List' Nov 10 to 17th?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AnneTheresa, Nov 10, 2008.

1. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I hope everyone had a nice weekend. Mine was fine; quiet and restful, just what I needed.

I have an appointment with the denturist today, then afterward - since his office is close to the mall - I may do a bit of shopping if my energy & pain level allows. Afterward, I have a few to-do list chores:

- put dishes away, clean kitchen counters & sink
    - empty waste baskets & garbage
    - dust/polish living room furniture
    - swish/clean washroom
    - water indoor plants
    - make two phone calls
    - read, rest, watch a movie

Best wishes for a good week ahead,

God bless,

2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hi Grammy. You've had a productive day; Working outdoors, arranging/assembling furniture, cooking up a storm, Christmas gifts ready for the mail, etc. etc. Good for you! Your water feature is going to be just lovely and the 'umbrella effect' will surely make it all the more striking.

With regard to your question about my upcoming dental: I lost my top teeth ten years ago and have worn a denture since then. Five years ago, I lost four of my lower teeth and started wearing a lower partial. Now I'm set to lose the rest of my teeth and I'm getting a whole new set of dentures. I'm having the dental surgery in two weeks and will have my new teeth put in at that time. I'll be glad to have it over and done with, and I hope I'm as pleased with my new teeth as you are with yours.

Insofar as my wanting a new focus for my life, I'm still pondering. I've brainstormed a few ideas - take a class, attend energy healing seminars, build a web site, creative writing project - but no decision yet. I'm aware that it's not just a new project I need but a change in attitude. The notion of myself as 'disabled' has become too pervasive and I need to focus more on my abilities. This, I find difficult, when such a lot of my time is spent feeling poorly. It's all find and well to say 'I"ll do this or that" but when I'm too sick to get out of bed, not to mention get out the door, it all falls apart.

I HAVE decided to begin counseling in the new year. This should put me on a better path.

Our fridge has given up the ghost so sweetie and his Dad went out this morning to buy a new/used one. It's being delivered on Thursday but in the meantime, no refrigeration. Thankfully, we don't eat meat and so there hasn't been a lot of spoilage.

To-Do Today

pick up & tidy living room & bedroom
    swish and swipe the washroom
    make two phone calls (must overcome my desire to procrastinate)
    weight-watcher's meeting
    pharmacy (I lost my cane yesterday and so need to replace)
    get kid's Christmas calendars and cards ready to mail
    read, rest, watch television

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Anne Theresa, thanks for getting the thread started this week....

And I think your decision on counseling is a good one. These diseases change our lives so much, often they're unrecognizable from who we used to be. Yet it's not uncommon for women of all ages to need help deciding where to focus our attention or find our passion. But the combination of both is difficult.

Grammy I see you've been a very busy girl again.....rest woman, rest!!!

I've had an interesting week or so around here....Katy's beginning to dream of her abuser, often making her afraid to go to sleep. She wakes up sobbing, often on the floor....just crying her heart out.

But...I believe this is all necessary for her wellness, facing things she needs to face, her body's way of saying it's time to deal with all of this...in pieces that she can handle. And she is handling it....we're handling it.

So I haven't been getting much done around here. We usually spend at least an hour talking after one of these episodes and they're happening often.

We did manage to go out to lunch on Monday and it was really nice. We needed to do something we enjoy here that isn't centered around doc appts and grocery trips.

Hubby's gone for the week but just up to Weisbaden Germany, a place he's wanted to revisit for over 22 years. He spent 2 months there while I was pregnant with Katy and has always wanted to see it again.

Not much on my to do list today, have to wait and see if she wakes up peacefully this morning.

4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Here it is mid-week already and I am now just getting on here. I have two big projects going on at work. One is due this Friday and the one I've been working on for weeks and is due by Thanksgiving. I don't know if I'll make that deadline or not. They keep pulling me off that project and giving me other projects to do! I keep telling myself to do the best I can and not get stressed out about it.

We are back to typical November weather here. Gray and cold weather. I saw some snowflakes over the weekend, but no accumulation. If it doesn't rain this afternoon I plan to finally pull and cut down the last of my flowers.

Grammy: You certainly have been busy! You make me tired just reading your post!

Anne Theresa: I'm sorry you are losing the rest of your teeth. I've only lost one tooth and hope not to lose any more.

Nancy: It must break your heart to see Katy laying on the floor and crying. But I suppose she has to go through this. It's part of the healing process for her. But not easy for you as her mother to watch.

To-do list:

-vacuum carpet upstairs (done)
    -get groceries (yay-small shopping list today!)
    -dinner (don't know what yet)
    -go for a walk (weather permitting)

Well, back to my project. Talk to everyone later!

5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good morning all....

Thanks for the kind words and yes Grammy, you're right...there's work and then there's the important stuff. Each time we make it safely through on of these episodes I'm so proud of her for handling it safely.

I'm planning a trip to the grocery store today, daughter's decided that she'll eat on my meal plan and has asked me to prepare her meals for her. That's another small victory but honestly, we'll have to see how long it lasts. This means that when I eat fruit, she'll eat fruit with me etc.....every 2 hours.

Although the Seroquel caused her to gain weight and become hypothyroid, she's eating to support this major weight gain and I've noticed lately by her comments that she's possibly ready to make a change. Why not, we're tackling everything else right now.....so a fresh start with this can only be seen as a good thing.

She admitted yesterday to hiding behind the weight like so many other abused women do....

My housekeeper comes today so it's a good day to get out and about.

Ellen, I hope you get your projects done on time. It must be frustrating to have so many things to do while you're trying to finish something.

Hugs all,

6. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I was major fatigued yesterday and so I didn't do anything but read & watch TV. I slept a few hours through the afternoon, something I seldom do. Now here it is 5 o'clock and I've been up and puttering for an hour. I love being up at this hour and, so long as I make room for an afternoon nap, I should be okay getting back to my sleep schedule.

My new fridge is being delivered today so getting that set up and then bringing some order to my kitchen is the main item on today's to-do list. A few other things:

shower & shampoo
    paper filing & mail
    on-line banking
    swiffer floors
    water indoor plants
    empty waste baskets
    pick up & tidy bedroom & living room

Nancy, I'm sorry to hear about Katy's suffering, those memories & flashbacks can be brutal. I agree with you though, it seems like it's time for her to process some of this stuff so she can move past it. Katy seems to have great insight with regard to her weight and it's wonderful news that she's going to begin a healthier eating plan. I like your take on this as a new start. I've come to admire and care about Katy, as I know her through you, and I agree with the consensus that you're a great mom. Throughout these stressful times, be sure to keep your own needs front and foremost and take extra good care of yourself.

Hello G27. I hope your hubby recovers from his cold and has a good break from work. I think you're right to be concerned about your own self and the possibility that there's something beyond the pneumonia at play. Your exposure to mold could very well be the culprit for all this congestion and I think you'd be wise to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion of colloidal silver. I've heard many good things about this product - mostly related to relief from arthritis which seems to be the main problem with my neck - so I think I'll look into it. I also like your idea about journaling. I've kept journals in the past and found it a helpful therapy so I may just put pen to paper, get a head start on my counseling homework.

Ellen, it's good to hear from you. Your post put me in mind of my working days and the stress/anxiety I used to feel with looming deadlines. I hope you manage the workload without too much stress. The grey weather is here as well, with a smattering of snowflakes and a cold, cold wind. Thankfully, my winter coat is warm. I've dug out my winter clothes and my scarves and hats & gloves. I'm reluctantly ready for winter.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

It is good to see all of you!

I know I am not a good one to ask, but where is everyone?

Grammy it sounds as if you are way ahead of the Christmas season! I do everything last minute! LOL I would love to find a therapist who deals with chronic illness! Most other therapists say "What is it you can DO, to overcome your outlook?" Waa Waa Waah..imagine Charlies Brown's teacher in school!

My outlook is pretty good. I've accepted this DD and move on as best I can. There are some days when I think negative. In the end, this is my life as it is. I believe I do the best I can. Usually!

Anne Theresa, I am happy you are going to see a counselor. I look at all you have done, and do(!), and hope you are very proud of yourself for everything you are able to do. I know you have to really push on some days. But you do it.

Nancy, It must be difficult to watch Katy and the pain she feels. I would imagine you feel helpless at times. You're not! She has a wonderful mom who listens and cares. More important, she knows you are always there.

Ellen! I hope you are enjoying your job! You sound busy!

I've been doing okay. Many things in life have kept us hopping. I get out a few times a week. My friend from LA was in town and we met up with other close friends and had a slumber party. It was a 'blast'! I clean our home, do grocery shopping with Jim and have my usual appointments. I will have to admit, I'm mostly an 'at home chick'. Being out and about 2-3 times a week leaves me tired and achey. Sometimes I do find this hard to accept, but I know I will never be who I was before, and I do my best to accept it.

Our daughter is 18 weeks pregnant, now. I am so excited! She looks kind of preggy, at last! LOL She told me the baby needs a present this Christmas. LOL Looks like Grammie and Pops will be buying the bedding for the crib. Like I wasn't going to buy anything anyway! LOL

It's so good to be here! I've missed you all.

I wish you all a kind and gentle day.

Hugs, Kim

[This Message was Edited on 11/13/2008]
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Kim, it's so great to hear from you! And I think we've all been wondering where the others are as well. We haven't heard from Lenore since a few weeks before the wedding and honeymoon in Italy.

As for the others, I think we lost a few with the new board and all the changes. I myself, started using it exclusively a few weeks before the switchover so I wouldn't miss the old one so much.

As for 2-3 times a week out? That's a good week for me, glad you've been having fun with your friend, and you must be so excited about the pregnancy. Being a grandmother is one thing I've learned to accept is not in my future, stubborn son who doesn't want kids, but I do admire and love him for sticking to his truth and Katy probably shouldn't ever have children of her own.

Again, thank you all for your kind words....and Grammy, Katy told me yesterday that she's tired of looking at both of us together....I'm still losing weight and we used to share clothes. She watches me eat this way, she knows it's good for you and knows she needs to make changes.

I'm back to the weight I was 5 years ago...(numbers I never thought to see on the scale again) also, she had developed better eating habits at the Priory this summer, (that's the long term care hospital she was in) and she had slipped back into her old patterns the longer she was here. We eat differently now....and it's going to be better if she eats like we do.

People used to call us the "Gilmore Girls", we've always gotten along so well and thank God for that close bond. I don't know what we'd do now if we hadn't had that all of these years.

Anne Theresa you must be thrilled to get your new fridge, makes me wonder how old mine is now, we bought it in Bahrain many years ago.

And my dear, you say the nicest things.....

Greg should be home from his trip tonight and I can't wait to hear how it went. He's wanted to go back to Wiesbaden for over 20 years now and revisit his great memories from an old military trip there.

We don't have much on our to do list today but the possibilities are open.

Hugs all,

9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I did some cleaning yesterday. May do some laundry today. We'll see! Rainy here. Not the best climate for this old body. It's a good day to clean up and read or find a good movie. It's sixty now and due to drop to thirty by tomorrow. Barometric changes are such a good time..NOT!! LOL

Nancy, I am thrilled about your weight loss! Maybe this will encourage me! Are you able to
    exersise at all? My body ususally rebels, and tires me. Oh! and when I get out 2-3 days, it depends on the week. I have weeks where I stay in my 'jams' and try to do things slowly.

I'm so happy Katy is opening up to you more. Weight gain from meds are awful! When I started taking them for my BiPolar, some ballooned me up and part has never gone away. It's good to know she is following your healthy way of eating.

Hello to all who haven't posted. I hope your day, and body, showed kindness today. Ellen, if you're having the same weather as us, I hope it isn't affecting you!

Oh, I have a new board question! Is there any way to return to subject we reply too, without using my back arrown on my laptop? Any info would be appreciated!

Gentle Hugs,

10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Well, as busy as I am at work, I just had to get on here and say "hi" to all of you. Not only is it Friday, but payday as well. Thank goodness! I took Jim out for a long lunch so I'm working longer this afternoon to make up for the time I took off from work. I don't think they will mind at work if I do this once in awhile. Of course Jim was thrilled to see me. He seemed to be in a good frame of mind today and quite happy.

It's been rainy here the past few days and cold and gloomy. Last night my hips were hurting so I called Harry at work and told him I wasn't up to making dinner. I was so surprised when he came home with a dozen red roses! He said it was to cheer me up! I didn't sleep too well last night with the aching hips, but I'm not feeling too bad today. So yes, Kim, the weather is definitely affecting me!

Nancy: I think that's great that Katy has decided to change her eating habits. Hopefully she will stick with it. Losing some weight will make her feel better physically and mentally. As we all know, however, it's a hard thing to keep doing.

Kim: It's so nice to hear again from you! I'm sure you are excited about the pregnancy, especially since your daughter is now starting to show.

Anne Theresa: Yes, it's definitely been busy at work. They give me one project with a deadline that coming up soon, and then another project with a deadline. But I do love my job and the time just flies by. And my boss is really great. She never acts impatient or angry.
    I hope all goes well with the new fridge.

To-do list:

-finish washing sheets and towels
    -put sheets on beds (done)
    -put towels in bathroom (done)
    -empty dishwasher (done)
    -go to the bank (done)
    -lunch with Jim (done)

List for the weekend:

-do some raking (if it ever stops raining!)
    -clean shelves in refrigerator door
    -finish Thanksgiving cards

Have a good weekend!

11. greygodess

greygodess New Member

Wish I could say that this week was the same old stuff but it wasn't. My doctor wanted me in for a physical which is odd. I have been going there for almost 30 years and no one has ever asked me to come in for that. Anyway I went in and had an ekg, xrays of the chest (former smoker), knees, and femur ( pain in both kness and thigh). To my surprise I found out that when they were doing the ekg my heart went into atrial fibrillation. So I have been busy going to the doctor all week. I had to go yesterday for the 24 hour holter test and today to take it off and have some blood work done. Monday I get an echocardiogram. Now I am on digoxin and an aspirin every day. Talked to my brother who has this and he said if you have to have a heart problem it is the best to have.

Other than that it has been a normal week. I have been walking 4 days a week trying to get some weight off. See the deer ever so often. Knitting a sweater for the grandson. Also bowling very badly. Last week was the worst. Monday is our 36th wedding anniversary. Long time.

Soory to hear about Katy. She is in my prayers. Godbless
  12. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all.

I've been spending way too much time in my recliner lately. To remedy that, I resolve to do a session - even just a few minutes - on the elliptical machine each day. Also, now that the snow is here (tons of it, egad!) and walking outdoors (with my walker) is no longer an option, I resolve to go to the mall once a week for a walk-about. These actions should help me feel less sluggish and support my weight-loss efforts.

Grammy, I'm glad you're set to see the doctor on Tuesday. Your respiratory symptoms have been going on for far too long - you must feel frustrated with how long it's taking to heal. Thanks for sharing your experience with counseling. I've gone a few times in the past and have always found it helpful. I haven't seen a therapist or counselor since leaving work in 2000, though I did partake in an 8-week support group for people with chronic pain. The support group was helpful but I'm looking forward to and prefer one-on-one counseling.

Thanks, Kim for your kind and supportive words. You're bound to have a fun Christmas buying gifts for your expected grandchild. More-so than in days past, it seems we have true and meaningful relationships with the infants in our lives before they're born. In the case of my brother & sister in-law (and as I think of it, several other couples) the sex of the baby was determined before birth and a name was given. We therefore referred to the child by his given name during the gestation period and, by the time he was born, we felt like we already knew him. It's wonderful!

With regard to your message board question about returning to the subject we reply to without using the back space key, yes, it's possible. As it was with the previous board, you can open a separate window by clicking 'reply' while holding down the 'shift' key. You have to be logged in first though, or it won't work. Once you have the window open, you can move back and forth between the windows, using one window to write your reply and the other to check back over the posted messages.

Hi Ellen, I'm glad you had a nice lunch with Jim. I'm glad he's doing well. How very sweet of Harry to bring you roses, these small gestures mean so much in a relationship. Like you & Kim, I'm a bundle of aches & pains due to the weather. It was disheartening to see so much snow today - I feel like hibernating until Springtime. I'm glad you have such a good boss - a boss's temperament can make or break the workplace environment.

Nancy, I don't think a grandchild is in my future either. My eldest son is gay and my youngest, though in a committed relationship, is not planning to have children. I'm blessed with a dozen nieces & nephews though - several are still babies - and so I'm happy in that regard. I hope your hubby is home safe & sound and that he's had an enjoyable trip. It's great you & Katy will be sharing your eating plan. From my own experience I understand Katy's angst at gaining weight due to meds and the difficulty of losing once you've gained. It will surely be a great help for Katy to work with you to meet the shared goal of eating wisely.

Greygoddess, I hope your heart issues are such that they can be well-managed and not cause you any problems. Your doctor sounds very thorough and it's nice (in a sense) that your brother has this same issue and is able to talk to you about it. Congratulations on walking 4 days per week - with the scenery and wild-life in your area, walking must be a joy. Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. Are you going out to dinner to celebrate the occasion?

I finally have my kitchen back in order, after having the new fridge delivered. The fridge works like a dream and it's much more spacious than the old fridge. Sweetie had to saw off 1/2 of an upper-cupboard to make the new fridge fit. I was worried that this would look like a hack-job, but it actually looks nice to have an open shelf above the fridge. I've put a green plant there, it's nice .

Tomorrow (Sunday), sweetie and I are planning to clean the lower-level; laundry room, furnace room, rec-room and then go to a movie. Beyond that, we'll putter, play with the pets, read, watch TV.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, all!

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Is pretty much nothing but I have to call my Dad in a few minutes. Set time for us and weekly.

For some reason I woke up at 4:00 am today and I'm so tired I can't see straight. Just wanted to pop in to let you all know that I'm ok.

Kim, no I can't exercise at all....just walking at the grocery store and shopping.

Grey, thanks for the prayers for Katy, all are very much appreciated.

Sorry not to reply to all, I'm just exhausted.