What's on your 'To Do' list Nov 16 to 22nd?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, Nov 15, 2009.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all,

Molly, I just saw a Frontline special on kids and psych medications and I have to say it scared me...be very, very careful with Liam's meds and the reactions he has. Often when someone has a problem with a medication and it causes severe side effects, they put them on more meds for the side effects instead of dumping the med that's causing the problems in the first place.

Honestly, I do have about 5 or 6 years of experience with this and Katy so if you have any questions please feel free to ask. She has been on almost all of the psych meds at one time or another.

I know that she has been on the first medication you mentioned twice and both times she had severe reactions to it. The second time she was married so I had little say in the matter but they increased her dosage and of course, things got worse.

This med caused her extreme anxiety, OCD and a general fear of everything. She became reclusive due to the fears that it caused. She felt like if she was in a car riding with her husband, the door would fly open and she would fall out etc......so everything became frightening for her. Be watchful....

Please, never accept a med for your child that makes him worse....meds work well for some people and not at all for others. I can now say from experience that the RIGHT meds will not cause any other problems. Keep this in mind so you don't spend years on the roller coaster that we've just been through.

I also disagree strongly with the new fad of diagnosing kids with bi-polar as Katy was as well as a teen. There's no way to tell at his age, none whatsoever so please ....follow your gut on this, ask questions, inform yourself and if you have to, google that show, it was just on here this weekend.

As for ADHD, I am and I'm on Ritalin for it (love it) my husband and Katy are both as well although Katy can't medicate for it since it doesn't go with her other meds. Ask any questions that you have, I'll be happy to help if I can. For all of us, Ritalin is the only med that helped us...the good old fashioned kind that you take every 4 hours. The others we tried didn't help and my husband had adverse side effects to them as well. Careful......

I have a great fondness for the ADHD's of the world since I happen to be one....and it might be worth getting checked for this as well if they dx Liam with it since it runs in families. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 40 and then put on medications but it helped me to make sense of my life when I was finally medicated properly. No more improper blurting, etc...it changed my life for the better. I can now finish projects, walk into a room and remember what I went there for too!

I can even look back and see that my Mom was probably ADHD as well.

Anyway, I'm getting my H1N1 flu shot today. The medical clinic on base actually called ME on Friday evening to tell me it's available for me so I'm going in a few hours to get this done. (Trying not to be there for the morning rush since it's the first day that it's available)

Katy has a cold and wants to see a doc as well so we'll probably spend some time at the clinic.

I hope all are well and that we hear from you all soon...

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Ok all you peekers, feel free to join this thread, we welcome all!

3. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I really like the show Frontline. I see that particular show is available to watch online. I would like to see it later on with my husband. I just cannot emotionally handle it today and not to watch it alone.

No one has dx him with anything new. I think the psychologist was trying to explain that with my son he is on the spectrum but seems to have a sprinkling of adhd and is very moody too. This is all true. I do not know how it will turn out as an adult. But the psychiatrist is very worried about the physical assults that are going on in the school and home setting. I had not thought of it that way. I worry about medicating him yet I worry about not doing a medication trial.

I am keeping a journal and writing down everything. I am one sad tomato:(

Thanks for offering to help. The question I wonder is that the dr said it would take about 2 weeks to see a difference but I have other mom's telling me you can see a difference much quicker. Oh I knew this would get complicated.

4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Molly, often with medications you can tell a difference right away either good/ or not so good.

When I started taking Ritalin, I felt a difference after 15 minutes of my first dose....because it was the right medication for the right dx. Makes a big difference.

But your docs are trying things for Liam so you're a very smart lady to be watchful and a journal is a great idea!

With Katy and the Ritalin, I noticed right away too. She was no longer bugging me every two minutes and could play in her room by herself so things got calmer and quieter fast. (She was 13 when dx'd)

It might be easier with Liam's new meds to check for signs that they're WORKING... because if they are then the side effects will be less. If they're not working, it might be easier to see signs of the side effects. Does this make sense??? You'll see good things if it's the right med, not so good if it isn't but it might take awhile for the bad side effects to start to show. I hope I'm explaining this right....bless you, I'm just trying to help if I can.

Has the doc offered a trial run of Ritalin if they think he might be ADHD? It's one of the easiest meds to test on since an ADHD brain responds so quickly/positively to the right med and dosage. And for those of us who need this medication it helps tremendously.

If the others would prefer it, we can do a hugs/sorekitty thread to just discuss medications???

Yesterday Katy and I did go to the clinic and got our flu shots. She was given both and I got my H1N1. I now think she already has a touch of the flu now that she's discussed her symptoms list but she was able to get the shots anyway. They give masks at the front desk and she wore hers everywhere, the rest of us appreciated it!

Today my car is going in the shop for regular service that I wasn't able to do while hubby was gone so it's a down day for me. I have a few things I'd like to do, clip months worth of coupons (we use ours 6 months after expiration date) and get some sewing done if my machine can take it, it too needs to be repaired and serviced.

Hope the others pop in soon...

5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

This week I'm trying to finish up the Christmas ornaments I'm making--sending off about 5 packages of them to family & friends so they can use them on their trees this year.

I'm also giving a box of them to a food bank in a rural area to give out to their clients too.

Trying to get the living room cleaned up, as I want a friend to come over and take pictures of me, Hubby & the pooch--we need a family picture.

We bought 2 new boxes of Christmas lights for our tree. They are the new LED lights and they are suppose to use alot less energy too. The strings of lights we used last year were not very reliable as to when they would come on or not.

Sometime soon I need to get our the Christmas cards for everyone I know who doesn't have e-mail. I've lost track of a couple of old friends--maybe this year I can track them some of them down.
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I just got done working my volunteer job at the library. It seems hard to believe that already it's been my third week volunteering here. They seem to like my work here. The first three months you are on a probationary period. Of course it's not like when you have a paying job, but still I want to do a good job. I really like it. The lady that I work under is having surgery. I asked one of the other employees for her address so I will mail her out a get-well card. She is only going to be out for a few days so she'll be back next week. But I do love to send people cards. I would send all of you cards if we could give eachother our addresses over the Internet. But, of course, that is not possible with all the criminals out in the world.

Speaking of criminals, we charged our hotel and food bills from our vacation, plus out regular groceries, gas and prescriptions. We do that because we get points on our American Express points that eventually add up so we can buy things for the house or food for restaurants (like Red Lobster). We just charge things that we have to buy anyway and pay it in full at the end of the month. Imagine my surprise when the bill came yesterday and it was $2,800!. I got to looking at it and saw quite a few things on there that I knew we didn't charge and one thing was $827.00! They were all on Harry's charge card. When Harry came home, I showed it to him. Harry has his card, so we figured someone wrote down his number and somehow had a card made. We figured out what wasn't ours and it came to $1,769-well over half the bill! I then called American Express and they said we wouldn't be held responsible for paying it. I didn't think we would be. Harry's card was cancelled and he will be issued a new card immediately.

The man I talked to will issue Harry a new card with a new number. He gave me a number, which will be our fraud case number. There is an additional $500 that has been charged that will show up on the next month's bill. They have been charging to stay at hotels, pizza places, we can't figure out what the $827 thing is, and also several times they got on freecreditreport.com. We were concerned they were trying to find out information about us, but the man reassured me that there was no way they would be able to find out anything about us with just the credit card. That was a relief. He said they were probably kids-just like Harry and I figured. This sounds too easy to resolve. We won't believe it until we see it. We would love to see them get caught, but I know they probably won't be. This man said they probably got Harry's number in the Days Inn we stayed in as they stayed there two weeks later.

Molly: I think that Nancy is giving you some good advice. These medication can do a lot of harm if you aren't careful. My experience last summer with not one, but two, medications was enough to make me a lot more careful for the rest of my life.

Nancy: The vacine must be a lot more plentiful in Germany as we are unable to get it here in the States. That's the way it goes here. It's happened here before. They get us all scared about the flu and then when the time comes to get immunized, you can't get the vacine. I have been wanting to get Jim and I vacinnated, but no such luck. Now they are saying possibly the third week in December. And then I think they are still saying you need two shots and it takes weeks for the vacine to work in your body so then you are into February. I may be able to get by without it, although I am still around people some, although not as much as when I was working. I do worry about Jim, though, since he lives in a house with 12 other people and most of them are like children and don't know to keep their germs to themselves.

Beadlady: That's a nice idea to make Christmas ornaments for others. Before the FMS affected my hands and arms and I had more time, I used to do a lot of crafts and made things for myself and others. I have some of the things in my house. I used to knit and crochet. Just the thought of it now sounds painful. The only thing I do now is mend! I did take a painting class a few years ago and that was fun.

Well, I had better head home. I have my swimming class in a little while.

7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

Beadlady your ornaments sound wonderful and what a nice thing to do to donate so many of them too. I'm sure they'll be appreciated.

Ellen, so good to hear from you. And our H1N1 shots aren't from Germany but the American base here so I know they do have to give them to the military first. So important. Plus we've already had 30 people sick with the 'Swine Flu' and that number was from last week and on our very small base too!

Yesterday I was so ill I just laid down and slept most of the day away. Not sure if I'm getting what Katy has or not, just know that's all I was capable of doing.

If I'm any better at all today, I'm going to go out in town to get the prescription for my enzymes but I doubt I'll be able to get it filled all in one day. We'll have to wait and see.

Hugs all,

8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hi all,
    I have been crazy busy lately....a lot of music events as of late. I played for a recital last night and I'll have another one on Monday. Lots of rehearsing and not much housework being done!

The boys are done with cross country and seem bored now.....I was enjoying the free time! I'll send them to run in our neighborhood, with a neon vest I think they'll be more visible.

How are your plans for Thanksgiving shaping up? We will have a small group here....hopefully our son will make it home for that short holiday (he's in school in Canada at present). But a small group will be easier to prep for, so that's OK with me!

Nancy, I talked to you about my friend with a similar disorder to yours.....it seems like pancreatic enzyme insufficiency, but she hasn't seen a gastro for some time. She always seems to have insurance problems, so she hasn't gotten help yet. It's frustrating to me to see her so skinny, but I know you know the symptoms.

Well, I need to be off and running.....wow, you'd think I'd be skinny with all I have to do, but , alas, not skinny yet!

Hugs, Terri
  9. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello all,

Ten more days until I move. I had panic attacks over the weekend - just thinking about it - but from Monday forward the stress has been manageable. This past while of sharing the house, living together post-break-up has made for the strangest and most stressful few months of my personal history. I look forward to my life returning to some sort of normal.

Nancy, It's great you're available to Molly to help her through the quagmire of childhood psychiatric medications. I, for one, find the conversation to be interesting and informative and do not mind it being discussed on the to-do list thread. So, please don't feel you need to begin a new thread to discuss these issues. I'm glad you've had your H1N1 shot, particularly given the outbreak on your base. I hope you avoid the flu symptoms that Katy's been experiencing and I hope Katy feels better soon.

Molly, I can only imagine how daunting it must feel to watch your child undergo medication trials. More so than with other kinds of medications, it seems the effects of psychotropic medications vary greatly from person to person and so finding the right medication or combination of medication can be time consuming. The experience will be completely worthwhile, if it results in a better quality of life for Liam. as I hope and pray it does.

Beadlady, It's wonderful that you're almost finished your craft project. I'm sure your family and friends (as well as the food bank recipients - what a nice gesture!) will appreciate receiving the gifts in time to decorate. It seems you're on track with Christmas preparations - good for you! As you can imagine, with my move upcoming, I haven't even considered Christmas planning. As soon as I finish moving, that's where I'll put my attention :)

Ellen, I'm glad you like your job at the library and your employers seem pleased with your work. How upsetting that someone stole your credit card number and was using this information to purchase goods. American Express reacted well; assuring you that you wouldn't be charged and issuing you a new card right away. They must be somewhat accustomed to this sort of occurrence. I hope they catch the criminals.

Terri, I imagine this time of year would be busy for you with upcoming Christmas recitals and musical services. I love Christmas music, especially some of the old hymns. My friend and I spent last Sunday in a nearby village - a small village, made famous by the old order Mennonite displays and quaint downtown shops and boutiques - and there were four (two men and two women) roving Christmas carolers, dressed in old-time coats and bonnets. They went up and down the street, from store to store, singing the old and beautiful songs and - despite all the fanfare in the malls and elsewhere - it was these carolers that gave me my first true sense that it's the season.

It's going to be a different sort of Christmas for me this year and I'm going to do what I can to make it a positive experience.

God bless.
  10. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I feel like I am going to throw up! My son is having *the* hardest time at school. Throughout the week he wakes up at 4 or 4:30 am. He says he will not go to school and begs me not to send him. Today, he came in our room for the second time this week after having a nightmare. He told me that in the nightmare he was sent to pirate school and one of his classmates was there too. He said they had a choice whether to swim and he chose not to:(

They now have an aide with him for the past week and although he is doing better he feels he is constantly punished. It can be a matter of perspective. I had my husband go in and talk to the aide this morning. I hope Liam's day goes okay.

We have all next week off so that is 9 days off from school. I told Liam just one more day then a nice long break. This has been horrible. While the school administrators figure out the best placement and supports for him he is suffering. *They* aren't suffering.

I told them almost a year ago that he needed someone there 15 minutes before school starts to help him and the other kids. Just two days ago the aide tells me they asked him to come in 15 mins early to help Liam (eye roll).

I am so stressed and anxious. I have even looked into specialized private schools. If the district does not have the right placement for him they have to pay for the right placement. But that is easier said than done and it will involve a lawyer.

Oh and we requested homework modification at our IEP 3 weeks ago. The teacher keeps sending his homework packet. The packet had 16 pages of work plus read 15 mins out loud nightly. Last week I just sent the packet back, no signature no work done. This week I had Liam write out in his own writing:

"Thank you for the packet but I'm still regrouping. Liam"

I did want to have him write: Thank you for the packet but I am temporarily indisposed. Liam but I thought it may sound too snarky(lol).

I have oodles of phone calls to make today. I am just sick over this!

I appreciate the support from all of you. Thanks,

Edit to add: Nancy, I found out that kids with autism are very hit and miss with stimulant meds. They can worsen their anxiety. So I think this may be why the dr chose the non-stimulant med Intuniv and it does take time to start working. We have seen some improvements just starting. We will not be doing adding any meds to fix side effects, EVER! Just taking this day by day.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2009]
  11. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I will have to type this quickly as I have to get back home. Harry has to leave for work in less than an hour and I would like to spend a little time with him. I had lunch with my friend, Dianna. She's the friend that I thought I might lose as a friend last summer, but I stepped back and gave her some space for awhile. I just think she had some issues of her own there for awhile, which she did, and now we are friends again. We had lunch at a nice little restaurant that's part of a gift shop and everything is British, including the food. We had tea with our lunch. It was great to finally get together and catch up on eachother's news.

We are having Thanksgiving at my in-laws as we always do. My MIL called me yesterday and told me what she would like to bring. What I have to bring is easy to fix, which is good. Of course Jim will be with us.

Nancy: I'm sorry you are still struggling with not feeling well. I'm not doing too bad myself, and actually the pain in my hands, arms and rectum areas aren't doing as bad as they were.
    I can see that those in the service would be on the important list for getting the swine flu shot. I have sort of given up on getting it at least for the moment.

Molly: I'm so sorry for all your frustrations with Liam. I can't really say I understand it all since I don't have children and I don't have an autistic child, but I do hope the situtation changes for the better soon.

Terri: I'm glad you were able to get a little break in your music schedule. We all need to take a deep breath now and then!

Theresa Ann: I am hopeful that this credit card mess will be settled soon. Of course there will be more charges on our next statement, but that should be the end of it. Harry's new credit card came two days ago. They sent it by overnight mail, which was great of American Express.

Well, better go. Have a good weekend, everyone.

12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Just wanted to say I'm having trouble typing. Hurt my finger by a slip on the sewing machine this morning...

I sewed thru my finger and the needle went through my fingernail to the back. So...

If u don't hear from me for awhile, that's the reason.

Hugs all,

PS Bless you Anne Theresa please hang in there