What's On Your ToDo List? March 3 thru March 9

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ksp56, Mar 2, 2008.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Whoa! Another new month. Where did the days go?

I hope you are all doing well, better, or just plain old, good!

I didn't accomplish much this past week. Other than cleaning the floors and dusting, and looking at, yet again, another lake cottage. I tried exercising again,but my body was to fatigued.

Feeling a little down. For every step forward, there are days, where I feel as if I'm taking 5 back. There's been many days, I don't even get out of the house. There are day's when I think I'm just a 'loser', or don't 'try' hard enough. Especially, when I know, I would love to do more. I guess I just needed to vent. Okay, maybe this will help me run 15 miles tomorrow! LOL

Reading over last week, I know there were happy times with children. Young and older. Busy times with family and daily living. Falling and hurting yourself, camping, thoughts of buying a steer (please keep us updated on that one!), and an operation for a FIL. Please know I have been praying and thinking of you all! Just as I always do!

Monday, I am back to 'top cleaning', and maybe, feeling well enough to run some errands. It's the getting ready to go, that is the most tiring. Showering and doing my hair, which is short, seems like a mountain to climb. We'll just have to see!

I hope this is a good start of the week for all!

[This Message was Edited on 03/02/2008]
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good morning all....

Kim, great to see you back and posting. Please don't feel like you're a loser for not getting things done. I don't leave the house most of the week at all but have just come to accept that this is my new 'normal'.

I look forward to the warmer months a bit because I tend to do better then and am usually able to be up and about more.

I've got a bunch of piddling chores to do around the house this week. I need to clean up my sewing area, put some of hubby's clothes away, and just mostly tidy up the house.

Did you all hear about the storm in Germany on Saturday? Luckily hubby and I were just feeling too lazy on Saturday to go to the base shopping and decided to stay home. (It was one of those crappy rainy mornings so we decided to shop on Sunday)

Within an hour, the stuff really hit the fan. The wind was blowing huge trees sideways, it was thundering like crazy, yet we had hail then snow, all while hearing the thunder. It was just amazing and a great day to stay indoors and do nothing.

The temps then went from 32 to 52 after the storm. A few people even died in Germany that morning from trees falling and the winds. They called the storm Emma because we had hurricane force winds. Glad that's over...

Hugs all,

Ellen, I hope all goes well with your FIL's surgery today. My Mom had this done in July 2001 and it is a very difficult surgery. I flew home for the summer and to take care of her after my first huge 9 mos bedridden flare and I treasure the time I spent with her.[This Message was Edited on 03/02/2008]
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Kim, it's nice to see you here again. I will let you know if and when we get a steer....I'm not sure we have enough land for it to graze, and the last thing we want is a starving cow!

Nancy- so glad you stayed home and out of that nasty windstorm! Rain and snow while having thunder.....very weird!

Today is my birthday, so I don't have huge cleaning plans. Just a nice, normal day, enjoying my family.

4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

It's been a busy morning at work, which has probably been good since it has taken my mind somewhat off my father-in-law who is in surgery right now. So far I've called my husband twice. He went into surgery at 7:30 this morning. The surgery is supposed to last 4-6 hours depending on whether they can repair or have to replace his heart valve.

I called my husband at 11:30, but he wasn't out of surgery yet. I didn't sleep well at all last night. I am pretty close to my father-in-law and of course am hoping all goes well.

We went over to my in-laws yesterday. Harry's sister and her family were there. We played the card game "Uno" for awhile and had fun doing that. I think my FIL enjoyed the company and I think it got his mind off the surgery for awhile.

Today is my penpal in Austria's birthday so I e-mailed her a happy birthday (I also mailed her a birthday card).

I hear we are in for some possible bad weather tomorrow-snow and an ice storm. Yuck! Everyone around here is so tired of winter! At least it didn't happen today.

Kim: Are you on an anti-depressant? You definitely sound depressed. You shouldn't think of yourself as a "loser" just because you can't get out of the house some days. Sometimes I envy you girls since you get to stay home more than I do. I'm a homebody at heart. Just do what you can do.

Nancy: Sounds like you had some storm. I can't imagine a storm with rain, snow and thunder! Good thing you were home at the time. I think this heart surgery is pretty common and that's what I told my father-in-law yesterday. My dad had the same surgery and the recovery period was lengthy for him as well.

Terri: Hi, birthday girl! Enjoy your day with your family!

To-do list:

-have lunch with Jim
    -mend lining in winter coat
    -make chili for tomorrow
    -drop off papers to our tax man

Take care, everyone.

5. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Happy Birthday Terri! I hope you have a wonderful day!

I'm sorry you're feeling down, Kim. I find it's an ongoing challenge to avoid the blues (or at times, more intense forms of depression) while living with fibromyalgia. I understand feeling low and the frustration involved but what I don't understand is how we come to think ",,, I'm just a 'loser', or don't 'try' hard enough."

I experience the same thought when I'm low and I've read others' on the board express it frequently during their own difficult times. What strikes me is it's so *completely* false, yet we 'go there' and feel it as truth. I wonder if people with other illness experience this of if it's unique to folks with fibromyalgia. If unique to FM, then it may be a by-product of the once-prevailing attitude that FMS is not real, that it's in the person's head. What do others think?

Sorry to get off on such a tangent, it's just a curious matter to me; why we think the things we think. Take extra good care, Kim, and keep an eye on your feelings - if the depression becomes too intense or continues for too long, you may want to take it to your doctor. God bless you.

Ellen, I hope the expected storm isn't too treacherous. Winter has been particularly harsh this year, I expect we'll all be happy to see spring. I've said little prayer for your father-in-law and hope his surgery is successful.

Nancy, that storm must have scared the heck out of you. I experienced such a storm (thunder with a snow-storm). It was over thirty years ago but I remember it vividly. It was extremely surreal & scary. I'm glad you were safe indoors during the worse of it.

Enjoy your dog-watching, Molly!

- make up pill dispensers
    - sweep bedroom floor
    - spot-clean hallway floor
    - change bedding
    - make phone calls
    - put dishes away, clean counters & sink
    - pay bills on-line

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

[This Message was Edited on 03/03/2008]
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

It's very rainy and might freeze later. Possibly, more snow! Yippee Skippie!!!!

I did not accomplish errand running today. However, I did dust entire house, cleaned the kitchen, and Swiffered my floors. I also had a relaxing, warm bath. It is time to wind down, and rest.

Today, I applied for an online volunteer position. It is for women with cancer. I'd read about it somewhere on this board. With my own cancer experience, I would like to reach out to others. Basically, you promise to send cards, at least once a week. Send small gifts from time to time. I would like to give back to other's, as my friend's and family, did for me. I have to be 'accepted' by the site. Please keep your finger's crossed!

Nancy: Thank you for your kind, and reassuring words. They started my day with a smile. You are a very kind friend. I had not heard about your storm. The weather is so bizzare! I'm glad you did not get caught in it! I'm praying for your daughter, and that her meds keep working. What a blessing!

Terri: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you have a special day! Any plans, other than a steer as a gift? LOL Enjoy!

Ellen: I've been praying for you FIL, and all of you. This has to be very stressful. I know how much you care for your in-laws. Also, I am Bipolar and am on a variety of meds.I think seeing some sun, that stays around for more than 2 hours, would help also. Hasn't this been a long winter? Thank you for your kind suggestion of an "Anti D" You are special!

Twin: Sounds as if you have been busy, and feeling well! How nice,of you,to doggy sit! I'd be afraid of stepping on those adorable little dogs! Thinking about your DH and you. I hope his business stress lightens up soon!

Have a nice afternoon/evening,etc!

7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

If you haven't yet seen it on the news, there's a clip on CNN.com that shows a plane trying to land in Germany during the storm on Saturday that actually had the wing clip the run way on it's first attempt to land. So frightening! The pilots were heros and managed to land the plane safely on the second attempt. The wind blew the plane sideways.

Yesterday I switched my coffee tables around, woo hoo! I had moved things around before Christmas so my plants would get more light during the winter, but each day I found myself surrounded by tables yet with no room to put anything so this was a good job for me.

Today I'll try to finish up some more of my tidying up the house.

It's strange, but with my daughter doing so well, (and again, I can't even describe how well she's doing except to say it's an amazing change) I'm no longer glued to the chair with the constant IM's and phone calls.

Mind if I vent a bit here? Yesterday I woke up feeling a bit angry. Not in an 'I told you so' way, just thinking that if my daughter and her husband had listened to me back in October, we all wouldn't have had to go through these past 5 months of hell.

I knew the meds were messing her up and told them repeatedly what they should ask for at the doc appts....I finally got my way by insisting and within 2 weeks she's the best she's been in over 4 yrs. It's just frustrating, but I'm very tuned into her symptoms and when they start and I just knew the Prozac was causing problems.

Anne Theresa, good luck starting your new med today. I hope it goes well for you and helps your symptoms.

Terri, I hope you had a very special birthday. Did your son start his job yet?

Ellen, I'll be waiting for news on your FIL's surgery.

Molly, hope things go well with the dog sitting.

Hugs all,

8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Nancy- I did see the clip of the plane being blown and they mentioned Germany. I remembered about your storm....that would have been a scary ride!

Thank you everyone for the b-day wishes....I had a nice day!

My son just got home from his first shift at his new job. It went fine, but he's going to have allergy problems. And allergy problems can lead to fatigue. I'm going to get him some OTC Zyrtec today, to try to keep things at bay better. He is working with hay and we knew it would be a problem. There just aren't many jobs available right now and he needed something. He is also going to wear his mask consistently- he decided that on his own.

general cleaning
    piano students
    chicken for dinner
    a few rehearsals

I'm looking forward to spring!
  9. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Well, my FIL is doing fine, but they did have a scary moment with him yesterday. His blood pressure dropped suddenly, but they did manage to get it stabilized. He's had this problem before when he's had medical procedures and now we know operations bring it on, too. The nurse said she would have to watch him extra closely. But he was doing fine when they left him.

The surgery itself went fine and they were able to repair his heart valve instead of replacing it. My husband said his dad was a mess of tubes and was unable to talk yesterday. Today they removed the tube from his throat so he is now able to talk. I just talked to my husband and my FIL is talking a little talking today, but of course he is very weak. He is drinking a little water.

My husband was late in getting home last night. He, my MIL, and his two sisters were at the VA Hospital for 15 hours yesterday. I kept watching the weather since they were talking about snow and ice, but fortunately that didn't happen-it went to the south of us.

I am feeling really tired today even though I didn't go to the hospital. I guess the stress of worrying is catching up with me. I am very close to both of my in-laws. I can't wait to go up to see him, but I guess I will have to wait until later in the week with my schedule.

As for Anne Theresa's question about feeling down about having FMS, I think we all go through this. With me it does help that I still can work part-time and bring home a paycheck. But sometimes I feel bad that I put my husband through a lot with all my health problems-not just the FMS. All my surgeries and doctor appts. But I know I do pull my weight at home and I have never thought I was "useless", but I have sometimes have felt guilty for being sick since I am unable to work full-time and money is sometimes tight. But I know I am doing the best I can do and I have to remind myself of that. And I sometimes feel bad that with the endometriosis I was unable to give my husband any children. But I know there's nothing I can do about it. Oops-here I go-talking too much!

Kim: I think that's a great idea to volunteer helping other women with cancer. I have found that I don't think about my own problems so much when I'm busy helping others. I hope they accept you! Sounds like you got quite a bit done around the house-good for you!

Anne Theresa: I thought your question about FMS was thought provoking. I guess we all go through our ups and downs.

Nancy: I don't blame you for being angry if you felt that you knew what the problem was (and obviously you did) and because they refused to listen, you had several difficult months to endure. That would make anyone angry. I wonder why your daughter wouldn't follow your suggestion about the Prozac?

Twin: My cats sometimes wake me up early, too. Like you said-good thing they are cute!

To-do list:

-get groceries
    -pick up prescription
    -pool therapy class

10. ksp56

ksp56 Member

At this moment, we are having rain mixed with freezing rain. Blech...not worrying about getting out today! LOL

Have not accomplished much. Unless you consider drinking coffee, reading the paper, and spending time here! LOL It may be a clean the bathroom's day. Who knows!?

Nancy: It is wonderful being able to vent on this thread. As I obviously did! You have a right to your anger. This has put you under a good deal of stress. While, being happy for your child is great, it does come at a cost. Especially, when you encouraged your daughter and SIL to think about it earlier. It would have caused much less stress for her, and you. You're a great mom, but human too! You of course, know this! Be gentle on yourself. By the way, I did see the jet! I forgot they said it was somewhere in Germany! Duh!

Anne Theresa: We must have been replying at the same time yesterday! Thank you for your thoughtful words. I do understand what you are saying regarding these DD's. For the most part I don't feel guilty or a loser. Every so often I would just like to have my old life back. Wouldn't we all? I do believe when you have an 'invisible disorder/disease, that depression can creep in. I believe many of our feelings are reaction's to what other's think/disbelieve , how we are for the most part 'shunned' by the so called normal population, which causes us to rethink what we 'should' do, according to this majority versus, what our own reality truly is.

As much as my family loves me, they aren't open to discussion regarding my fibro/cfs. Other than my DH, bless his soul. My mom, (who thinks she has fibro, and I agree..she probably does) let's me know, every day how she is up and about. "It's better to walk around and accomplish things. It makes the pain less", she says. On many days, she is right. Other days, at least for me, aren't so. My reply is always "That's great mom!" We are close, but why does every phone call includes this? I believe it's in reference to me. Even though I don't talk to her about my pain, etc., and have not prompted this subject.

My daughter won't listen or give credence to these DD's,and gets very angry when I cannot do something. Even though I attend most everything. My son, well, I know he got tired of seeing me in my flannel pant's and sweatshirt, especially when he had female friends over! Then again,he can also be compassionate. Much unlike my DD. I NEVER talk to them about it. Many times I much more fatigued than hurting. I find their view's similar to the public. Many days, I do very well, all things considered.

Okay, sorry for my long response!! (sp) Hope you are doing well! You gave us provoking questions.. thank you!

Terri: Gee, your day sounds boring! LOL!!! I hope your son is able to work and something can be done about his allergies. How miserable. I will send up a prayer for him.

Ellen: Yesterday was a long day! it's now wonder you felt tired, too. I am thankful your FIL blood pressure came back up. That had to be frightening! It's good to know they didn't have to put in an artificial piece. I hope they montier him closely and for a long time. You continue to be in my prayers.

Sorry all, about getting 'windy' on several posts! It's comforting to know we have become friend's, and that our 'TO DO, list includes even more than what the title applies.

Thank God for all you. I don't know how you all feel, but I usually feel better after I reply!

Where is Laura? I know she'd been fatigued, and planned on Spring cleaning ( yeah, me too...lol) but she hasn't posted this week, although the week is young! Hope you are doing okay, Laura!

Huge Hugs!

[This Message was Edited on 03/04/2008]
  11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I was really disappointed.....I didn't get a steer for my birthday....LOL

12. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello friends,

It's been raining a lot here too, Kim. Rain is good for clearing the snow but it can set the stage for freezing rain which is what I fear most in winter. Hopefully, it won't freeze.

Volunteering is a great idea - I hope you're accepted into the program. Helping others is the best we can do for ourselves, I'm sure of this.

Thanks for sharing your insight about living with fibromyalgia. Like you, I try to talk about other things to family and friends (except for sweetie) because the understanding is simply not there. That's one of the reasons I so like Pro Health.

It sounds like you've been working hard, Nancy, moving furniture and what-not. Be careful. I understand how you feel with regard to your daughter and son-in-law not taking heed of your advice about your daughter's mental health.

I hope they appreciate, in hindsight, that had they listened to you in the first place, they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble and grief.

I'm glad you had a nice birthday, Terri.
    It's good your son's first shift went well. I hope he can overcome his allergy issue.

Ellen, I hope father-in-law has a good recovery. The stress of worry is bound to effect the way you feel, so take extra care and be gentle with yourself today. Thanks for sharing your ideas about the feelings that come along with having an invisible illness.

To-Do Today

Set wellness goals
    I need to set some realistic goals (sleep, exercise, eating habits) to put in place for next Monday (I'm giving myself some slack as my body adjusts to the new medication).

I've really 'fallen off the wagon' with regard to taking care of myself - I've gained weight, been sleeping too late in the morning, not exercising and these things lead to my feeling worse than usual.

Tidy House
    swipe washroom, spot clean hallway floor, make bed, put dishes away, clean counters and sinks, sweep and spot clean floors. maybe dust living room.

finish packing boxes for Goodwill to drop off this eve.

Outing with my friend
    Drop off Goodwill donations. Go to dollarstore & pharmacy. It will be good to get out for a bit.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good morning all...

Ellen, I'm so glad your FIL is doing well, it's a big step to have any of the post surgery tubes removed. It sounds like he's on his way to recovery and I hope it continues to go well.

And the reason they didn't listen is because I'm not a doc...and I have to remember that when she's not doing well, she's in no position to go against a doctor's orders. He's just learning and I plan to have a long talk with him at some point.

Kim, my kids were raised with me in jammies most of the time and both had to help out around the house a lot because of my illness so they both 'get' it. Not sure if that's a good thing or not although my son grew up to be a wonderful man full of compassion.

I sometimes think that women who try to do too much don't open their kid's eyes to the possibility that we sometimes 'can't' do it all. I never tried...was often just too ill.

They knew that I would never make promises that I couldn't keep and I often missed things in their lives that I would have loved to have seen. The top 3 that I missed are my son's graduation from high school (we had moved that day) my Mom's funeral and my daughter's wedding. Just couldn't do any of these things no matter how much I wanted to.

Terri, your disappointment shows in your post...no steer for your birthday??? Weren't you a good girl this year???

And dear Anne Theresa....you've gone through a difficult time weaning from your meds and starting a new one. Please give yourself time to adjust to the new medication.

I've gained about 7 pounds this winter so I'm looking forward to spring when we eat differently. So many fresh fruits and veggies are just around the corner....

Not sure if my daughter is coming in today as planned. She started a new med to help her sleep last night and it didn't help her at all. She also is suffering from cramps and vomiting from her period so we may have to postpone our day together. (She really has a rough time)

So today is probably going to be another day spent piddling around the house for me...

Does anyone mind the longer posts lately? I don't because this really is the one thread that I pay attention to. I don't read many others anymore....

Hugs all,

14. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Is it just me, or are the weeks going by faster???

Glad to read all of the posts....lengthy or not! It helps us to know you better- all the trials and tribulations.

I forgot to tell you about a big project we are working on....this weekend, my boys are going on a winter campout with the Scouts. They will build igloos and sleep in them and cook their meals on little campstoves. We had to buy wool things- gloves, socks, pants, hats--so I think they will stay warm. They are looking forward to it.

Linda- sorry to hear your fall was more serious than you originally thought. Use your doughnut!

Take care, all-
  15. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all...

My daughter did come in yesterday so we went shopping on base. I had bought her a few prs of jeans on Sunday, I couldn't believe our Post Exchange had the larger sizes that she needs right now and we had to return 2 of them.

One outfit was wonderful on her so she changed into it right away and off we went. I ended up buying her 4 more pairs of pants and some tops.

Why is this a big deal? Cause when she wasn't doing well, the thought of trying on the larges sizes just wasn't going to happen so her clothes are all too small and ragged.

Getting her to try on a size 16 Juniors wasn't going to happen before this last med change. Now although she's bigger from the Seroquel, she's gonna look nice when she goes somewhere. We all know how wonderful that feels!!

Today I'm just resting, felt sick after we got home like I'd picked up a cold or something. Spent last night feeling feverish.

My housekeeper is coming tomorrow due to a strike in Stuttgart today so I have one last day to try to tidy up the house before she comes.

And Linda....ouch your poor butt!! Hope you feel better soon and that the pain doesn't last long.

Molly, I loved the pic you posted on another thread of your husband and dog, too cute!

Terri, it sounds like a fun thing for your boys to do. Isn't it funny how the young have differing ideas on fun than we do?

Hugs all,

16. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I ended up taking yesterday off to go up to the hospital with my husband to see my FIL. We woke up to about 7 inches of snow, so it was a messy day, but the main roads were plowed pretty well.

My FIL was sitting up when we got there. He's a little grumpy, which of course he has a good reason to be since he isn't feeling well. But he was glad to see us. He always brightens up when he sees me. He calls me "missy". I call him "daddy". I am close to my in-laws.

The therapist stopped by while we were there and reminded him to work on his breathing exercises. He has to breathe into this little plastic instrument that has a ball in it. He did that a few times. So he's doing pretty well.

We don't know when he will be getting out of the hospital. He's worried that my MIL won't be able to take care of him and my MIL is worried that she won't be able to take care of him. So I'm hoping for their sakes that they keep him in the hospital a little longer.

So I'm back to work today and will work part of the morning tomorrow and then my husband and I will take my MIL up to the hospital late tomorrow morning. She's just not comfortable driving to the hospital herself. It's a busy area and she's not familiar with it.

I'm not going to do much this afternoon except go to my pool therapy class and take my nap. This has been a tiring week.

Kim: I know what you mean about not being able to talk about FMS to family members. I do have a couple of friends with FMS that I can talk to and, of course, I have all of you with are my friends.

Anne Theresa: I guess we are all human and we all fall off the wagon from time to time. It's hard when we are surrounded by food.

Nancy: I'm sorry you've gained 7 pounds. I'm sure you put on some weight when your dad and son were visiting. It's easy to overeat when company is there and you are going out to eat. Did you ever say your daughter has endometriosis? It sounds like it might be a possibility since she has cramps and vomiting with her periods. Are the cramps severe? Vomiting and severe cramps with your periods are not normal. I also have endometriosis and used to have severe cramps and vomiting with my periods. For some reason, as I've gotten older my periods are much easier, thank goodness.

Linda: I am so sorry you have broken your tailbone! That must be so painful! Do you have a doughnut pillow? I hope it heals up soon! Take care!

Terri: I'm so sorry you didn't get a steer for your birthday! I hope your son can get some help for his allergies.

To-do list:

-pool therapy class
    -put away laundry (done)
    -make dinner
    -call my girlfriend

17. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Getting ready to leave for Indianapolis, to see a GI doc. I also will 'hook' up with his wife, who has been a friend of mine for yearrrrrrrrrrrrr's. I've never met him, and I know he has to be a great improvement over husband #1. He was a hateful person.

Linda (where the heck did I come up with LAURIE???, take care with your tail bone! My girlfriend did the very same thing, several years ago, and it was agony for awhile.. Use that donut and those pain meds when needed!

Nancy, it sounds as if you an DD had a very good day. I am so happy for you both!

Ellen, so good to hear your FIL is doing well. What a blessing!

Terri, regarding your birthday..... maybe your DH decided to 'steer away' from his idea! LOL Couldn't help myself!

Anne Theresa, take good care of yourself. I hope you have a good weekend with NO SNOW. Supposedly, we have another storm heading this way from the south. Weird.

To everyone else, have a good, relaxing, etc., weekend!

Hugs, Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2008]
  18. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Not much on my to do list today...the housekeeper will be here later today, not sure what time.

Hubby worked until 10:30 last night so he'll be coming home early today and we'll play some online poker then.

Ellen, when my Mom had her valve replaced, she had problems with the surgery, in fact she had to go back in for emergency surgery the same night. So many problems that she stayed in the hospital for over 2 weeks.

My sister had taken the month off to help (nurse at same hospital) but the month was almost gone by the time Mom got home so it was a good thing I was there for the summer.

I remember helping her shower each day, mostly just being there to dry her off. No reaching with that surgery for quite awhile.

I didn't have to help her go to the bathroom, I always told my Mom that when it comes to wiping butts, that's what the nurse in the family was for. It was a joke in our house. I am the naughty daughter after all!!

I also helped her to get dressed. Helping her with her bra mostly as she didn't wear normal clothes for awhile.

I did the housework, cleaned and made meals for then. I made sure she had what she needed nearby her chair so she didn't have to get up and down much.

And I took her for her daily walks which are so important after heart surgery.

So...it wasn't hard to help, but the help was needed. With this being your FIL, some of this won't be necessary. Maybe you could get together with other family members and bring some meals in for a few weeks to help tide them over?

Also, be aware that this kind of surgery can bring difficulties with memory and depression. The heart lung machine is an amazing invention but can cause problems.

My Dad was depressed for 3 years after his bypass surgery and mostly until we brought them over to Germany and they saw how older folks here live, nothing stops them from living their lives. Very hearty folks here.

He had stopped taking care of everything he used to love including his house and garden after his surgery. I think he thought his life was over after the surgery and staring his mortality in the face. But in Germany you'll see 90 yr olds walking their Yorkies and yes, it takes them awhile, but they never stop trying. Made a huge difference in his life.

Sorry again to be so long winded, just hoping to add some insights for Ellen and hoping they help.

Hugs all,

19. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

There is always something informative to read here- we have a great bunch, don't we?

Nancy- You were good to your Mom- I'm sure you miss her a lot. I had never heard of bypass surgeries causing memory problems or depression. It's good to know.

Linda- I hope your tailbone is healing up. It must make sitting uncomfortable.
    How's your son doing with his fatigue?

My son has weathered 3 nights so far in his new job. It's hard, because of the hay allergies, but he's been wearing a serious mask with two replaceable filters, plus safety glasses, so that's helping. He's still not feeling well, so I hope he can find something else soon. It's not worth being sick all of the time.

To do:
    too much!

20. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

I normally wouldn't be on here today since I was taking Fridays off, but since I took Weds. off this week, I decided to come into work for a little while today. Then we are going to go up to the hospital for awhile and check on my FIL.

My husband was going to take yesterday off from going to the hospital, but then my FIL had a rougher day yesterday so he decided to go up last night. By the time he got there, he was doing better.

I know I was not going to do much yesterday afternoon, but I couldn't stand it and ended up running the vacuum around. I also made a large stew for dinner. I made enough so we will have enough for tonight, too. I have bedding and towels to wash, but that will have to wait until the weekend.

I am going to just work today until mid-morning, run a few errands and then we will head up to the hospital.

Nancy: Thanks for giving me some good advice. My father had the same surgery that my FIL had about 20 years ago, but I am having trouble remembering what happened when he came home. I do remember well the depression my own father went through for several weeks. My FIL is prone to depression so I'm afraid he will go through this as well.

I was talking to my MIL yesterday and I was suggesting a commode by his bed, but she was thinking of maybe raising the toilet seat, which is also a good idea. Maybe bars by the toilet seat? Yes, cooking meals would help. I'm afraid that helping may fall more on my husband and myself as my husband isn't working right now and I'm only working part-time.

Both of Harry's sisters work full-time out of town and one of them has two children (although they are teenagers). Of course they would help as much as they can on weekends and evenings.

To-do list:

-pick up bread at bread wholesale place
    -drop off Jim's lunches (I pack Jim's lunches for when he
    goes to the Hope Center. He doesn't like the lunches
    they pack. I have to admit they aren't very appetizing
    and the ones I pack are a lot more nutritious).
    -off to the hospital
    -do my exercises

To-do list for the weekend:

-visit FIL
    -wash bedding and towels
    -do exercises
    -vacuum car

Take care, everyone. Have a good weekend!