What's the best and cheapest antibiotic for UTI?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Apr 24, 2007.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

I just can't get rid of this uti. Thought I had it kicked by drinking lots of water and cranberry juice but a week later it's back. What works best for you? Are there any over the counter remedys?

Thanks alot,Keke
  2. clerty

clerty New Member

I have the same problem so annoying my bladder feels like it is on fire !!!

Clertyx
  3. connieaag

connieaag New Member

The dosage is 2-4 a day, but when I feel a UTI coming on I use 4 for a few days, and then take 2 for maintance so it dosen't come back. They are cheap and you can get them anywhere in the vitmin section.
  4. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

UTI's are caused by different bacteria. So when you go to the doctor they should look at what bacteria is causing it because different antibiotics work on different bacteria.
  5. LeightonLAM

LeightonLAM New Member

AZO is a huge help, and as others have said, it is over the counter. But it does not make the infection go away. You will need to get an antibiotic from your doctor. It is best to catch it as early as possible to avoid having the infection spread to your bladder, kidneys, etc
  6. sessi5

sessi5 New Member

i have had 7-8 uiti's since july--dr called me the other day and said that my uti is immune to amoxicillan. hope this new one works but i dont know what to tell ya-just have dr do a test to see if its immune to certain drugs
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'd start w/ garlic, its a pretty good antibiotic. Lots of vitamin C and zinc to boost the immune system and yogurt/probiotics to balance internal flora. Echinacea may also help.

I cured my fiance's strep throat w/out antibiotics and supposedly that's the only thing that can treat that. His infection was visible and very smelly, but he gargled w/ salt water many times a day, helped w/ the sore throat, kept it disinfected and is antibiotic too. I gave him extra C and zinc and he drank and gargled w/ aloe vera juice and ate yogurt and held it in his mouth several times a day too. Gone in 3 days, quicker that abx, but I treated him a few days more just in case.

Abx may be a sure thing, but it can drag your immune system down in other ways. For some of us w/ chronic infection problems it can become a vicious circle, and abx can cause vaginal inf. in women too. so, if you can treat naturally, you may also boost your immune system and stop the infection from being chronic.

Jeanne
  8. BKayB

BKayB New Member

I am prone to UTI's and I know how horrible they are. What has worked for me for years now is the moment that I feel one coming on I drink baking soda water 3x per day, following the directions on the box for preparing it for internal usage for antacid. For me it works much better than cranberry has been able to, but everyone is different. I have also learned that if you are prone to them regularly that many things can be a factor - soaking in baths (only take showers), body soaps, laundry soaps, dryer/fabric sheets, certain contraceptives, consuming citrus (I can not drink orange juice or lemonade), chocolate, carbonated beverages. Hope you feel better soon.
  9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Keke (and anyone reading this),

I've had LOTS of experience in this area! More than I'd like to have had. Last year I had what I thought were six UTIs, but it turned out to be what is called "interstitial cystitis". See ichelp.org for more info.

If you're having recurrent UTIs and UTIs that you can't get rid of, it's possible that you might have intersitial cystitis. I would highly recommend seeing a urologist. He/she can perform a cystoscopy on you (pretty painless) and make sure nothing else is going on with your bladder---this will help your doc rule out other things and better determine if you might have IC.

Indeed, the antibiotic prescribed depends on which strain of bacteria you have. If you've had lots of UTIs it could very well be interstitial cystitis (IC). IC almost identically mimics UTIs. You will feel the exact symptoms of a UTI, but what you'll notice is that often times, the antibiotics don't make you better, or they only help for a short period of time. And, you keep getting "repeat UTIs", which is actually the IC acting up. I'm not saying you have IC, but it's possible and worth checking it out.

*Cranberry juice is a huge no-no because it's acidic; it will make both UTIs AND I/C worse. In fact, anything acidic is not good in most cases. Drinking lots of water though helps immensely when you have a UTI. (These instructions all come straight from my urologist and have helped me, but do as you wish. :) ) Acidic foods and beverages makes UTIs and IC symptoms worse. Tums helps just as it does with heartburn. Chocolate, peanuts, coffee and citrus foods all contain a lot of acid, but each individual will respond differently to these things.

The symptoms and severity of IC varies from person to person and you might not be a candidate for it at this point, but I wanted to make you and anyone else posting aware of it. If you look up IC or interstitial cystitis on this board, you can get more info there as well.

Hope this isn't info overload and that it helps you out. Feel better!

Take care,

Erika
  10. theycallmeLois

theycallmeLois New Member

I had what I thought was a UTI and I tried kicking it with water and cranberry juice. Went to get checked out. Well first they said yup you have an UTI, WRONG! Then they thought it was Kidney stones, wrong again. Finally they did a Ct Scan and found an Ovarian Cyst.

So moral of the story go get checked out.
  11. clerty

clerty New Member

how do you get rid of it then?
  12. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I lived with what was diagnosed as repeated UTIs for years.
    Family doc had the nerve to ask me if I knew how to clean myself after using the bathroom.
    A internal vaginal scan showed cysts on one ovary.
    But still, nothing indicated surgery etc.
    For years complaining about monthly hemmoraging during menses, fibroids, finally emergency room visit required hysterectomy for overgrown fibroid that couldnt be removed otherwise.
    But all the UTIs stopped.
    If you're still intact, get pissed and demand someone examine you carefully and thoroughly before the above scenario or some version of it happens.
  13. lynnintn

lynnintn New Member

and almost waited too long to go to the doc. Cranberry juice WILL NOT cure a kidney infection. It can help with clearing up a bladder infection, however, as can some og the OTC meds, but not if the infection has traveled up to your kidneys.

I am on Cipro, which is now in generic. It is about the best antbx for treating a UTI. Levaquin is also used but is not in generic. I know Cipro in generic is usually less than $10.00. Luckily, with my ins. co-pay it was $2.00. I also know Wal-Mart sells most of these generics pretty cheap now.

Hope you feel better soon. If you start having flank pain, bloody/pink urine and a fever, it is likely a kidney, not a bladder infx. and you need to be seen by a doc ASAP w/these symptoms or you could end up in the hosp. on IV antbx.

Hugs:)
    Lynn in TN
  14. mary124

mary124 New Member

I was just going to put my 2 cents in to say are you sure its a UTI and not IC? but someone else asked before I did. You might want to go to a Urologist. As of now, there is no "cure" for for IC. There are plenty of treatments and some even make people go into LONG remissions but thats it.
    Ask your Primary care doc for a referral and find out. In the mean time, I would do a voiding diary which includes pain, burning, how many times you go to the bathroom in a 24 hr time period. Stay away from the cranberry stuff as that will do more harm than good. If you need anything else, just ask, I have this and I've had it for about 22 years now, been in remissions on and off - doing pretty good for now. Good luck and let us know.
  15. lizgirl

lizgirl New Member

Are you sure your problem is with a bacteria? I had suffered from burning and painful urination as a child and then as an adult. As an adult I was put on antibiotics even though there wasn't a large bacteria count. Sometimes there was no bacteria at all. I soon began having other physical symptoms and feeling sick all over. It was then I learned about Candida overgrowth. The yeast can imitate symptoms of a bacteria infection. I even began urinating blood and no bacteria was present. The doctor was dumbfounded. I found a Doc that gave me powder Nystatin and I got immediate relief. I also had to learn to build my gut ecology up.
  16. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

It's a natural sugar that really helps with UTI's it can be taken daily as a preventative also.

I take garlic every day and pumpkin seed extract for my bladder. The pumpkin seed extract helps if you have problems with an over active bladder.

A supplement called quercetin has been shown to help if you have IC. Also, take an over the counter product called Prelief before eating or drinking anything acidic.

Of course if it's more than an umcomplicated UTI, you need to see your doctor if you are not improving after a day or so. These things have helped me a lot. Good luck.
    litieulong48 likes this.
  17. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member