What's the best diet for FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by babyblues68, Mar 20, 2003.

1. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

What is the best diet for FM? What foods should we stay away from? Are their any suppliments any of you suggest?

Thanks,
    Tammy
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The best things that I have found is to stay away from white flour, fast foods, colas, artifical sweetners, coconut, sweets, and a few others that I can't think of right now!

Eat lots of fresh fruit, vegetables, lean meat, fish, etc. Drink fruit juice instead of sodas.

Do you drink water? if not, then you should be drinking half your body weight in ounces of water per day. I have found that drinking water has been a big, big asset to how I feel.

As for supplements, I am going to list all that I take at the end of this post.

I don't have a weight problem, but if you do you could try the Suzanne Sumer's diet. Mike is doing well on this style of eating, plus losing a few pounds too.

Hope this helps, I know others will be able to help with the foods, as I am one terrible eater myself. I hate to eat, and don't like fast foods either.

Shalom,Shirl

I am mainly on supplements, herbs, vitamins, etc. The only med I take is Xanax, low dose (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm for racing brain syndrome. It can also be taken with OTC's Advil gel caps, the Xanax enhances the effect of the Advil, and it is a great pain reliever. BUT do keep in mind that Xanax can be very addictive if used consistantly.

Xanax is an anti anxiety drug, a rather old one. It is addictive, but I only use it once a day, or if I feel an attack coming on.

I have listed below what I take, hope it is helpful. If you have a question, please feel free to ask me, be glad to help.

Shalom, Shirl

Product; Ultra B-Complex (High Potency with Folic Acid)
    (1 capsule after or during lunch) This helps with brain fog, and energy too.

Product; 800IU's of Natural Vitamin E
    (For numbness, heart, blood etc)

Product; Ester C 500 milligrams
    (antioxidant, helps prevent colds, virus etc.)

Product; ZMA (zinc, magnesium, Vitamin B-6)
    For sleep, deep sleep also helps with muscle pains.
    (2 capsules at 10pm )

Product; Jarro-Dophilus (Probotics)
    3 a day for IBS, replaces good bacteria

Product; Melatonin (5milligrams)
    To help fall asleep, take right before bedtime.

All the above can be bought from Pro Health, be sure to ask for a free catalog/Newsletter too. If you want to call the number is; 1-800-366-6056 or you can order on-line. Just go to the 'Store' link on the top right of this page for additional information on supplements.

Product; Essiac Herbal Tea by Resperin Corp.
    This is a blood/liver cleanser. It is also known as a cancer cure/preventive.
    I take two ounces in the morning two ounces at night.
    Can be bought at most health food stores and Supplement catalogs.

Product; Polynesian Pure Noni Juice
    (I take one teaspoon before breakfast, one before lunch for my IBS, it is a great product). I order it by the case!
    Can be bought in most health food stores, be sure you get the 'pure' juice or it won't work.

Product; Natural Calm put out by 'Natural Vitality'
    This is a powdered Magnesium Citrate.
    (I take a teaspoon a day for pain, especially spasms . But don't take too much it will give you diarrhea).

This is about it for the time being, as for a multi vitamin, I have trouble digesting them, so I drink two cans of Ensure a day for the multi.

Also, I drink half my body weight in ounces of water per day, along with a quarter teaspoon of Sea Salt. This has helped with severe sinus headaches, and it seems to have helped the Fibro Fog too.

Here is some good advice; I strongly recommend you add ONE thing at a time for at least a week or two, this way if you have a problem with a product/supplement, you know what is causing it. If you try to take too much at once then if you have a problem, you would have to quit everything and start over again.
    I learned this the hard way, so though I would pass on this wise advice!

It took me years to get the right things that I could take. Wasted a lot of money on eyerything from doctors, prescription meds, and vitamins and herbs too.

Just remember, we are all different, so some of what I take might not be the right thing for you. It really is trial and error with these illnesses.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I am usually here everyday, but not at a special time.

PS, always buy the best supplements you can afford, as you really get what you pay for with supplements. Pro Health has some of the best ones I have ever taken, and I am not just promoting them, its the truth. I have taken there products before I ever heard of this board.

3. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

Thanks for the great information!!! I didn't expect to get so much from one person. Especially thank you for the info on the suppliments. I didn't have any idea where to start with them.

Tammy:)
  4. pamela

pamela New Member

Hi there...here is what I learned the hard way but thanks to this board I would have never learned it all...

DO NOT EAT EVER!!!!: Thses causes pain and fatigue:

Potatoes of any kind; white breads, wheat breads, white and wheat flour, cereals, malt-o-meal, peas, carrots, corn...(any sweet veggie), white and brown sugars, honey, molasses, all sugars , anything with sugar, store bought box dinners, cake mixes and icings, frozen dinners, all pastas, cokes, vinegar (all stuff with vinegar), pickles, Anything that ends with "ose" like dextrose, glucose, fructose, sucrose...these are sugars that are in many things we eat....they give you lots of pain,.... and NO artificial sweetners. That means sweet-n-low, twin, equal...Read ALL Labels for everything!!!!

I know this sounds like everything on the planet. What I think you should try is things like:

Turkey, chicken, tuna (most fish), low-carb veggies, spelt bread (this way you can eat bread - can get at health food stores but call first to see if they have it). Salad, watch out for dressings as they have lots of the bad stuff in them...read labels. Watch out for high carb stuff. Thats what I mainly wrote you about under the don't eat area... they say stay clear of carbs/starches and sugars in a nutshell. I also eat a natural peanut butter sandwich for energy mid morning. So... I hope this helps...Also I hear the Atkins Diet is good...Dr. Atkins wrote it. You might want to try geting the book. Hugs...Pammy
  5. kellbear

kellbear New Member

good info
  6. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

I have to say when I first started reading your post my 2 kids were at it, so all I got at first was: DO NOT EAT EVER!! I was ROTF. It would figure all the foods I like are bad for my body, but vinager? Really???? I used to eat at this little Korean place and they would put vinager in their soup. So I'm hooked on it in my chicken soup. I know sounds gross, but I like it.

Does anyone know about splenda? Is that ok to use?

I guess I'll do some research on these low carb diets this weekend. Thank you for your info.

Tammy:)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2003]
  7. KimAB

KimAB New Member

Red meat every day helps a lot with my dizziness- and other high protein food, too.

I try to avoid sugar, wheat, processed food, salt, etc. etc.
  8. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

That is quite a list of supplements. I used to take alot of different things. How did you feel before you started it?
    Love, Deb
  9. healing

healing New Member

I have been staying away from most carbs for a long time, mostly on the Atkins Diet. Stay away from fruit juice, it's all sugar. I also have my own long list of homeopathics, herbals, supplements, and meds (not many, and nothing "heavy") that I've assembled over time at great effort and expense. You just have to take it slowly and not lose determination when you suffer a setback.

Hope it goes well for you!
  10. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

~~~~ NO ~~~~~
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Eat only REAL foods...no starches and very little sugars. Steer clear of all processed foods, so that means you will only be shopping in fresh produce, dairy and meat sections at the grocery stores. Kick all processed foods to the curb!

Marilyn :)
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's low-carb and she has delicious recipes. How hard is it to stay on a diet which allows butter, cream, meat, green veggies, fruit, fish, fowl, and even her yummy desserts.

Someone asked about Splenda. It does contain chlorine which isn't good for us. Stevia is an antioxidant but it isn't as good as sugar. I am using the SomerSweet. There has been some controversy about one of the ingredients. Seems that it wasn't tested very long before FDA approval. The company has since changed the formula and continues to test on animals and so far, there has been no increased incidence of cancer as was originally feared because of the short testing period. I don't use much, so until it is shown to be unsafe, I will most likely continue to use it. It can be used in cooking just like sugar.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]