What's the Difference between Fm leg pain and RLS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tonakay, Sep 18, 2006.

1. tonakay

tonakay New Member

My legs are hurting so bad at night lately that I don't know if it's the fm getting worse or possibly rls. I've been taking benadryl to sleep on bad nights but once I wake up and they are hurting I have to get up right now, no 'riding' it out and laying there. Then again I'm in Ohio and fall is here with the weather up and down and rain coming and going so maybe it's weather related??

Jeez this is all so confusing! I already take 100mg of topamax at bedtime, have been for 4 months for leg/nerve pain which it helps. Also got rid of my migraines. But it doesn't do anything for this other leg distress.

Any opinions one way or the other? If I'd known I was going to be this durn miserable in my 40's I woulda had a heck of a lot more fun in my 30's!!

Thanks all!
    Tona
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2006]
  2. missourilady

missourilady New Member

My legs just feel jumpy and odd. But it is not painful.
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

RLS and FMS leg pain are two different things. I have both. RLS are strange sensations that occur when your legs are at rest. Some people feel a tightening sensation, others get a prinkly sensation and still others may have the creepy crawlies. For me, I get the creepy crawlies. It's a strange sensation-feels like bugs are crawling up your legs and you can't keep them still. You just can't get comfortable and sleeping is difficult.

Fortunately, I am now on medication that controls the RLS. It can really drive you crazy.

As for the FMS leg pain, I am on pain meds-morphine. The morphine helps the sharp, shooting pains I get in my legs, but unfortunately, it doesn't help with the dull, achy pains. Lately, I've been having a lot of achy pains in my shins. It feels like my bones hurt.

Hope this helps you understand the difference.

Ellen
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

My RLS is a knawing ache. I usually twich and move them until I finally fall asleep. I take Elivil for sleep and it is fantastic! Or as Vince Vaughn would say, "it's phenomenal." My FM pain is constant. It lets me know it's there w/ a serious cramp if I do to much. To much these days is very little.
  5. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Thank you so much for your relplies. By the sounds of it I guess it not to be RLS. Most definately is not creepy crawly, just deeply achy and painful HAVE to get up and move.

Hayley, I'll check out the other thread and check in the myofascial. Wonder if my library might have that book, I'll have to check their website...

Knowledge is power so thanks again for all your help!
    Hugz,
    Tona
  6. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

My legs hurt so badly that I swore to my husband that I must have bone cancer. It is a deep achy, slow-throbbing pain; the same in my arms. And it's always there. I'm in PA, so deal w/the same type of weather as you.

I posted a message today describing my follow-up appt with a FM doctor, so I won't repeat what I said. He gave me flexeril to put me in a deep sleep. This did nothing for the pain. After I left his office I was very disappointed.
  7. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

feels like I need to stretch them but it doesn't help. It feels strange and hard to explain. I'd rather have the pain if I had a choice.
  8. FMJen

FMJen New Member

I have very similar symptoms - aches all over and my legs cannot lay still. I usually have to massage them, walk around and wait till I am exhausted to get to sleep.

My doc put me on zanaflex at night time too, but it does not seem to help the restless legs.

I'm seeing a pain management doc on Friday - hope to get an answer to this. I'll let you know if I learn anything new.

Jenny
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

But I do have really bad leg pains~

I describe it as "feeling like I walked 6 miles'
    but have'nt. They just ache so bad sometimes.
    They throb when its real bad.
    Heat helps a little bit. My pain meds don't help.

I was never sure if it was from FM or having gyno issues.?? Neither dr. has ever had an answer for me.

I sometimes feel smarter then my docs.
    *(and thats not saying alot :)
    since with my brainfog I feel pretty stupid at times.

Hope this helps~
    Tandy
  10. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

YES Leg pain has got to be my worse pain. I sometimes think the pain in the bend of my leg behind my knee is soooooo bad that it cant possible be fm.

Tandy described it well as far as the whole leg in general, it feels like I have walked 6 miles, when actually I have barely gotten off the couch today. But the stabbing pain in my leg behind my knee is awful.
    Brenda
  11. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Waxdiva I jumped over on your thread yesterday and answered you.... thanks for posting.

Cjcookie, I've decided it isn't restless leg, just doesn't seem to fit the bill. I'm sorry you're stuck with BOTH !

Jenny, I'll be waiting to hear what your doctor has to tell you on Friday!

Tandy, that's it, 6 miles with no pit stops...LOL Last night was a lot better and I have NO reason why. Makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm with ya on the doc thing, I always leave there feeling smarter than my doc....LOL

Brenda, I don't have bad pain right behind my knee, that sounds awful, have you had that checked out? Maybe something is wrong with the knee bone itself???

Hey everyone.... thanks so much for taking the time to post to me. It means a lot to me. At least I know I'm not the only one wondering what the heck is going on!

Hugz to All,
    Tona
  12. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

RLS presents in different ways at different times. Just the fact you have the urge to get up and move around, without the "creepy crawlies," it still could be RLS.

Meds affect me for having RLS or not in evenings. Benedryl and meds like that make RLS so much worse, as do the muscle relaxers, if taken in evenings - for me, at least. When I drop them, I don't get it, or at least not as badly.

I take Requip (Parkinson's Drug) a few hours before bedtime and it keeps the RLS away.

But you can look up RLS and learn about med reactions to it, too.

Good luck!