What's the difference between....

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by annieoakley63, Jun 14, 2006.

1. annieoakley63

annieoakley63 New Member

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme Disease? I was diagnosed with RMSF, yet it seems that the symptoms are the same for both...with the pain being the worst!
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

My daughter at 9 had rocky mtn -
    high fever (105+), rash on limbs, itchiness on palms, achiness, listlessness, nausea, etc.

Doctors almost missed it just thinking it was a bad - very bad - case of flu; after a week she was almost in shock by the time I took her into Scottish Rite; her chances of living/dying were 50-50 at admission and first 48 hours... spent a total of 10 days in ICU hooked up to IVs etc.

Lyme, from what I've read and heard from those who knew when they became infected, is generally a low grade 'flu' that they never really feel the same after having...

but many don't even get that initial reaction. Many go asymptomatic until a later physical and/or emotional trauma that triggers symptoms. My son is positive and has been suffering from chronic Lyme for at least 3 years (probably at least 5), but we have no idea when he actually was infected.

Also, my daughter's BF thought he had a summertime 'flu' for a few days and no big deal, but a couple of months later his vision started to blur. His doctor was smart and started him on abx immediately, MD assumed it was Lyme without testing since he didn't have insurance. His vision cleared quite quickly.

I am going to have my daughter (now 23) tested just to see if she might come up positive for any other tick borne infections, including Lyme, even tho the reliability of tests are not very good.

The reason why: I have since read research saying if you've had Rocky Mtn, or Lyme, or any other tickborne disease, that one usually will also have gotten co-infections - and that is greatly more the rule than the exception according to the statistics.

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 06/15/2006]
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I read that just as with other usually bad diseases, there are those who may not show much, if any, reaction to Rocky Mtn Sp. Fever and do recover on their own.

One study said: "Asymptomatic infection may be common; 12% of children living in high-risk zones in one recent study had positive serology test results, indicating past exposure to RMSF."

I have read that untreated, there is about a 30% mortality rate - now there is about an overall 4% mortality rate usually due to MDs just not recognizing it - even those who have treated classic cases sometimes don't catch it because, in one estimate, only close to half have the classic sign of a rash.

According to another study, left untreated, about half will develop neurological problems.

Dx'ing it can be hard because there are no tests that can detect it initially, it is only after one has had it for a while and recovers/dies when antibodies show up.

Nasty bugs, these spirochetes!

V

[This Message was Edited on 06/15/2006]
  4. annieoakley63

annieoakley63 New Member

Victoria, thanks for all the information. I have had a pretty rough time with RMSF. When the test results came back, my doctor was shocked. It had started affecting my breathing, memory, eye sight and I was (and still am) in constant pain. I went through 2 months of antibiotics and will be seeing a rheumatologist July 6th. I've had to drop out of karate because of the pain in my hip and knee joints and my doctor is afraid I have tissue damage from the RMSF. The saddest part of all this is the fact that I went to the doctor 3 days after finding the tick. My foot was swollen enormously, but he never did blood work. All of this could have been avoided if only he'd done a blood test.
  5. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Sorry Annie, that is really awful. I hope you are now on a road to recovery. Doctor's just haven't a clue sometimes of the damage they do.

Take Care!
    Kellyann