What's the Difference?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chrissy2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Chrissy2

Chrissy2 New Member

Can someone enlighten me as to what is the difference between FM and CFS, or are they one in the same disease?

Chrissy
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That title is only half correct gramatically speaking, but I digress.

Some doc and researchers now believe them to be one and the same illness, just manifested in slightly different ways. Officially, one must have the tender points to be considered having FMS, while fatigue is usually the main symptom of CFS, along with a feeling of having the flu.

I have both, and the symptoms overlap so much that I tend to believe it is not worth it to me as a patient to try to separate them. What helps one, helps the other, except that the Guai treatment has not wiped out the fatigue of my CFS. I believe that is because I have had a chronic stealth mycoplasma infection. I am just now weaning off the antibiotics, so we shall see how I do when my immune system is on its own for a length of time.

A rose by any other name...

Love, Mikie
  3. Dayle

Dayle New Member

I was told by my naturopath that they are the same, apparently those of us who have a high threshold for pain usually are diagnosed w/ cfs. those who have alot of pain are diagnosed w/ fms. I have fms. even tho I have a very high pain threshold. So I don't know.... Just keep searching the answers are finally starting to come together. Dr. St.Amand believes its the same DD. I am on his potocol for guai & it is helping me.
    Good Luck; D
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

In ten yrs. of running a support group, I could tell right away when a CFS person visited our group, which was mostly made up of Fibro patients. Their fatigue, fog and memory problems were way beyond ours,and most had hypotenstion, esp. when standing up quickly. Very few had pain as a major complaint.
    Then I read "Osler's Web", the 700+ page complete history of CFS, and I was totally convinced after that as to the fact that CFS is not FMS, but a contagious illness caused by some unknown organism.
    I believe FMS is a genetic disease passed on the X chromosome in an autosomal dominant manner.
    As Mikie said, many illnesses have symptoms that overlap, and I believe the only reason these are being lumped together is that they are both so mysterious and the cause is unknown. Also, susceptibility to one seems to increase susceptibility to the other in an opportunistic manner, but that is also true of other illnesses.
    I have to keep my mind open to new evidence, since nobody can really say with 100% certainty at this time.
    KLutzo