Whats the easiest prep for Colonoscopy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Does one exist??
    Its been 6 yrs since my last one .
    I recall like yesterday how horrible that gallon drink stuff was.
    someone once said that using an at home fleet enema, and one of those small green bottles of magnesium citrate
    does the job just as well. ??

anyone know what works best and is easiest on your system.
    My test is like 4 weeks away.

Dreading the 'clean out'
    however, every once in awhile I'm sure its acually a good thing to clean out your pipes :)

thanks for any help/suggestions,

could'nt resist the butt icon
  2. dinda

dinda New Member

I had a Colonoscopy two years ago and the prep isn't as bad as it use to be. The good news is they don't have a gallon of horrible stuff to drink. I had to take a couple of laxatives and they gave me two small bottles of liquid to drink. I always like to schedule my test for the earliest appointment they have. I don't like getting them in the afternoon. I want to get it over with. My dr. let's me have clear liquids and jello for the first few hours of the prep. Good Luck.
  3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I had a colonoscopy almost 4 yrs ago and I was in the hospital at the time so I did have to drink that gallon of wonderful stuff.

I hope they have a better way to do it now, sorry I'm not much help but I'll send you positive thoughts since I've done it before I do know what it's like. :)

Take care, Susan
  4. CarolK

CarolK New Member

However, that was too years ago. My sister-in-law just had hers done and she only had a couple of pills and some small bottles of the mag. citrate.

You can ask your doctor for an easier and gentler cleansing process!! I sure would... that whole gallon of stuff makes you want to barf before you get finished drinking it all!!

Love the "butt icon"... it's good to have a sense of humor about this "hole process".... lol lol... a little gastro humor too!

5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My husband has to have colonoscopies all the time as he has Crohn's disease. He uses a prep called Pico Salax. I've used it too. It's actually one of the best and most gentle.

All the other ones, I find, just about make you sick by the time you have to take the second bottle. This one doesn't do that and it's a lot easier on the body.

6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

238gram bottle of miralax and 64 oz of gatorade (not red) mixed i didnt finish it all because i was to fullbut i was fine
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

My husband had a colonoscopy less than a year ago. He had several laxatives, the Miralax with gatorade. It didn't even taste bad...just like gatorade.

I had several things including this little bottle of stuff that was so salty and so horrible that it almost came back up. Then lots of liquid, then more of the awful stuff in the AM and an enema....awful.

The Miralax was not horrible to drink and not harsh like what I went through.

However, as I just read Tony Snow died of his colon cancer, I am glad we all have our tests. It makes me really sad that he died. I liked him and thought he was a great press secretary. He leaves a wife and 3 young children. So sad.

8. tandy

tandy New Member

The miralax you buy over the counter???
    I've never tried it but I see it in walmart.
    (a liguid form?) and you mix it well with gatorade??
    sounds like MY cup of tea :)

My gastro dr. already gave me a script to fill for that gallon stuff. even tho I told him it made me sick.(I did'nt fill the script yet)
    I may call his office and ask for something else.
    I hope he'll give me something else.?

I pert-near crapped my pants last time using that gallon drink. and felt like pukin at the same time.
  9. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

It was white powder in a packet. It was mixed with 8 oz of water. Wow, works like a charm.

So I didn't have to drink a gallon of stuff but I was chained to the bathroom - dont go shopping.

10. charlenef

charlenef New Member

it comes in like a crystal powder for that looks like it would be liquid in the bottle but it is not it was 238gram bottle i know there are onse that are like 255grams also that people have used but this is what my dr had me do ill post info for you
  11. charlenef

charlenef New Member

Purchase these over the counter laxatives:
    1. GATORADE (64 ounces) of lemonade or other clear Gatorade (two 32 Oz. bottles)
    2. DULCOLAX 5mg tablets (four tablets)
    3. MIRALAX BOTTLE 238 grams (over the counter only)

The DAY BEFORE your colonoscopy: Clear Liquids Only
    Asolutely No Solid Food

Drink only clear liquids.
    Examples of clear liquids: Water, clear fruit juices such as apple or white grape, chicken or beef bouillion, jello (no RED or PURPLE), clear Gatorade, popsicles (no RED or PURPLE), clear soft drinks, coffee without cream or sugar.

3 PM: Take 2 DULCOLAX tablets

5 PM: Mix the entire bottle of MIRALAX into the 64 ounces of GATORADE. (Put half the bottle in each 32 ounce bottle). Shake the solution until fully dissolved. Drink an 8 ounce glass every 30 minutes until the solution is gone.

7 PM: Take the last 2 DULCOLAX tablets.

The DAY OF your colonoscopy:
    You may take any necessary medications with a sip of water.
    Bring along someone to take you home.

No aspirin, aspirin by-products or plavix for 1 week prior to your colonscopy. No coumadin for 5 days or check with your physician who orders the coumadin. Please contact the physican that prescribed the asprin, plavix, and coumadin to see if this is acceptable.

REMEMBER: The preparation is very important. An adequate clean out allows for the best evaluation of your entire colon. During the prep, using baby wipes may ease some of your discomfort.

You hould NOT plan on working or driving the rest of the day due to sedation given at the procedure

12. tandy

tandy New Member

what a jem you are to list it exactly as needed for me :)

I'll most likely try that route cause like I said,... that gallon stuff was horrible.

Lastly,...?? one more question.
    Do you at all remember how long it takes to start running to the bathoom?
    ( I should prolly set up camp right? LOL)
    thank God I have a few weeks to prepare myself for this
    crap. LOL
    no pun intended
    huge hugs

13. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i never needed to run to the bathroom that was the weird part i would feel the urge and go my hubby took pills and had to run it took me a few hours to go so i think this stuff works slower at least on me it did istarted around 12:00pm i wish i would have started at 10:00am because things ran slower than i thought that is why i couldnt finish all of the mix i wasnt going to the bathroom so i was full good luck i think this was much easier than the jug or the pills
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2008]