what's the most ridiculous thing a Dr. ever said to you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by patchwork, May 17, 2003.

1. patchwork

patchwork New Member

I'm really looking forward to reading just how daft so many of these Dr.s are! And I think it will help to see just how common it is to be fobbed off with rubbish and that we're really not alone!
  2. bakron

bakron New Member

A family practice PA told me after many visits and very few tests:

". . you could have fibromyalgia . . if you have that, you'll just have to learn to live with it . . "

I had to request to be sent to a rheumatologist, and I found another physician (female) who finds the DD as difficult to medically manage as any other doc, but who is more empathetic.

I guess I do have to "learn to live with it", but the tone that the provider used was what was ridiculous. I may have read into it, but I don't think so.
  3. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

"there's just nothing else I can do for you" ... and he hadn't tried all that much to begin with.

The best thing about that is it lit a fire under my *ss and I've come a long way since. :p
    Hayley
  4. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

I waited 3 months to see a neuroligist and drove over 100 miles, and waited an hour in the waiting room, just for some intern to come in with the doc, poke around on my back and practically laugh at me when everywhere they poked hurt! He said "well, whatever it is you have you will just have to learn to live with it!!!" He didnt care that I was in complete shock at the cruel way he treated me, let alone making fun of me and treating me like I was faking everything, and he was telling me to learn to live with something when he didnt even know what he was telling me to live with!!! And they lost my cat scans from the waiting room to the other waiting room!!! Morons. I was so depressed about that visit I cant even put it in words. I cried all the way home, while I was driving. Its a wonder I didnt kill myself because I could barely see for the tears. Some doctors can be soooooo cruel. Sis
  5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I had the local idiot tell me that I would not feel better until I stopped smoking and turned in my guns. I am still wondering how this would make my injured shoulder feel better.
    The doctor who has been treating my FM is, at least trainable. It's too bad that my new insurance won't cover him. After he told me that the reason my "muscle strain" would not heal properly was because I was getting old, I literally blew a gasket in his office. Just to get rid of me, he sent me to an orthopedic surgeon who took a real xray and discovered the fracture. OOOOOOOOOOPS! Naturally, by this time, it required surgery to fix, so I managed to spend another 4 months off work. Now, he finally listens to me, and if I tell him there is a problem, he automatically sends me to someone skilled in that area. This, I don't have a problem with. No doctor can be expected to know everything. I can and do expect them to know their own limitations, and have the ability to refer me to someone competent in that area.
    Kathryn
  6. Goodday

Goodday New Member

Doc said, "Learn to live with it."
    Another said, "Your stuck."
    Another does not believe I have spinal spurs. He didn't see the MRI's or Cat Scans.
    Psychiatrist called it "somato pain" (Body pain that is caused by wanting pain in the body--mentally.) In other words being a neurotic. Dahhh!!
    Another statement was: Pain in the body due to chronic depression.
    Physical Therapist said: "You firbromyalgic people are so hard to treat." In other words we don't improve very well or very fast.
    Nurses see you walking, never mind how well or how fast and just act like you are a big faker and give you the impatient look......need I go on?
    Makes me feel like a freak.
  7. AC77

AC77 New Member

"you sound bored, your life is going nowhere" "I don't know much about medicine but sometimes give antipsychotics" from an old neurogist this came from.

Worst thing I ever said to a doctor..about 1 year ago, a physchiatrist to boot, was, "You arent even a real doctor, you can't even take a b/p, never mind a physcical exam, and I should trust you to prescibe me medication that are considered some of the most powerful in the medical industry"
  8. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Years ago I was going to my GP who I had been with 10 years. I got in the worst situation with IBS. since I had to work, I would not eat all day, come home and eat a little supper, spend an hour or 2 in the bathroom and go to bed. This was horrible. I went to the Dr. 3 times in 3 weeks. The third time he walked in and was reading my chart and said great! You have lost 9 pounds in the past three weeks! I couldn't believe him...heck yeah I lost wwight , I couldn't eat and when I did it came pouring out.
    I said Dr.------I lost weight because I am so sick and he said on you will just have to live with that but the weight loss is great !
    I left and wrote him a letter that ended our 10 year relationship.
  9. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

in 1995 after suffering severe fatigue for 10 years. All your tests are normal, you have chronic fatiue.There is not much that can be done, you may get get better, you might not. He said some people have said that licorice helps so I could try that. He suggested I could try antidepressants, they help some people.

Sat
  10. pecanpie

pecanpie New Member

"You just need to cut back on typing and not stress yourself." "You are wearing out your hands, wrists, and arms by typing all day and then going home to do housework also." Also, "the insurance company is going to drop me if I over prescribe something and I'll be dropped as an Aetna HMO doctor." This is what he told me if I happened to ask for Darvocet too soon (if I used more than 40 per month). Do ya'll think that is too many? I have sarcoidosis, migraines and FMS at age 49.
    J.
  11. KathiM

KathiM New Member

I had a new "OLD" internist whom I went to so very sick and in pain and extreme muscle pain in January tell me after only meeting me for 15 minutes : "You may not like what I am going to say but I am going to give it to you straight.....you have an eating disorder"
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!! an eating disorder.......YES I am overweight by about 70 pounds but he didnt even care that I had Cushings Syndrome and Osteoporosis which fractured my left foot 6 times making it impossible to walk and exercise. He insinuated that I sit home and eat bon-bons all day watching soap operas. Then he continued to say "I will see you in 6 weeks and I expect a weight loss....if you do not lose weight I CAN NOT keep you on as a patient as my time is much too valuable"
    I blew him off and never went back.............
    His office didnt even have the courtesy to call and make me aware of my abnormal blood work of a blood glucose of 170 and sed rate of 70 and numerous other things....
    I immediately went to my rheumatologist whom I have seen previously out of town and am now being treated for lupus/autoimmune.

I was also told by another DR. that "I think too much"
    I guess he said that because I ask questions.
    He evidently couldnt deal with another human that was an egual to him challenging him......
    Actually I shouldnt even consider myself an equal because he was an *ss.

Why has our medical system come to this ???? It is so sad and actually some of these Dr's are committing abuse.....
    There are some good ones out there though and it takes time and patience and $$$$ to find them.
    when you do find one ..hang on to him/her !!!!!!!
  12. teranan

teranan New Member

I'm a 56 yr old Vet. Been out of the Army for 35 yrs. Last month I went for my 4 month checkup at VA clinic near my home. Dr was doing a random VA survey. Asked me if while in the service " Did anyone make any sexual advances toward you?" I was still laughing when I got home.Made me forget all the questions about my meds,and my health.
  13. AC77

AC77 New Member

Me and another dr joke about the day we are going to hear a doctor tell someone to buy a pack of seeds and grow and harvest the herb to treat thier pain...Aside from the therapeutic qualities of gardening...this seemed so funny at the time....guess its an inside joke. I had an experience at a holistic dr who told me about the humors in my blood. I almost fell off my chair laughing. Not be closed minded, but he was trying to sell me his book and supplements for cash, because my insurance wouldnt cover the 230.00 fee for them
  14. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

My "family" doctor told me I was just getting old and had to live with the changes in my body. (I was 34 then and having a horrible fms flare and had been in bed for 2 days.) I insisted he send me to a another doctor where I was diaganosed with fms and mps as well as tendonitis in several areas.

I then read up on FMS and MPS and had questions and ideas regarding my treatment when I went to a nurse practioner I was told that I was reading too much and new enough about this disease so I should just take my meds and forget about it.
  15. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

I was told by one dr. that I was too young to have pain and get fibromyalgia (I was 23 at the time) and so I must be exaggerating the pain and just wanting pain pills to get high.

I am a very small person and only weigh about 98 lbs and try hard to gain weight. I was told by a dr. at a so-called Pain Clinic.. "Well, I usually tell people with fibromyaliga that they just need to lose weight, but I guess that's not your problem, so I don't know what to tell you. Why don't you just sign up for an aerobics class?"
    That visit cost me $265 by the way..

And of course many others have given me the "it's all in your head, here's some more anti-depressants" speech.

Indigo (Sharon)
  16. nancyann14

nancyann14 New Member

My previous internist (at an HMO) told me, "Dear, there is nothing wrong with you. You need to go home and get a hobby." That doctor?? is now under state review as well an investigation by the HMO. When I told my other docs they apologized for this member of their profession who was so insulting. I initiated the investigations and didn't mind one bit the energy it took.
  17. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I never had a doctor say anything really nasty to me about my fibro except that I was "looking for attention", but get this, one neurologist was more interested in my shoes than he was with my fibro, he told me I had some funky shoes and where did I get them, I think that doc got his medical liscense from a cracker jacks box, LOL. chelz.
  18. allhart

allhart New Member

i have heard many you all have had
    but heres some more

being fatiuged comes with age (iwas 22)

before i was dx i refused a stronger pain med i told the dr i just wanted to know what was wrong he said i need to get mental help,

aleast you still look healthy

some people would love to only weigh 93lb be thankful

fm is caused by depression even though you show no signs of depression i can now only give you antidepressents,to treat it,
  19. aching

aching New Member

to a new rheumatologist I asked if I could have Fibromyalgia.
    He answered, "no". The next time I saw him, he asked me if I still had dry eyes and mouth. I answered "Yes". "That's the fibromyalgia", he replied. lol
  20. 1Candee

1Candee New Member

I kept returning to my GP with symptoms of fatigue, pain, concentration probs which I'd had for way over 6 mos. I told him that I felt I had CFS. He said, "You know, you really don't want to have that disorder!" Like it was my choice-yadayadayada! Cat