What's the Scoop on Provigil??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moxiepup, Aug 12, 2005.

1. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Can I have some pros and cons for Provigil, I just came from the Drs., office she gave me samples, said to start off with 1/2 tab in am. Sometimes I don't get up till 3:00pm or so from being up so late the night before.

I just wanted to know if anyone had bad side effects and what they were? did you feel spacey? did your heart speed up? or anything like that.

She gave me Cymbalta to try last mo., but I just couldn't take it, I was very dissappointed I had high hopes for that one :((

Oh well anything you can tell me would be great!

thanks in advance,

gail
  2. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

3. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Any Replies? Please
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi Gail,

Are the mgs. of the samples 200? Otherwise, a half tab is a small amount.

It does work better for me if I take the first dose before 12pm. I have gotten up and taken provigil and then gone back to sleep until it has a chance to kick in ....about an hour.

I've posted quite a bit on provigil. You can either put my name in the search or "provigil" and you should come up with alot of information.

I posted on provigil just last night ... I think. Like so many other medications, there are some here who it didn't work for. Has done very well for me.

Hope this helps,

Elsa
  5. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Hello and thanks for replying, I was just reading all the older posts about Provigil. I don't know why I just didn't do that first. :))

I read all yours, it seems like it's working great for you, my Dr gave me 200mg tabs said to cut in half see how it goes.

I will wake up but I'm still kind of a sleep, my son found me standing up leaning against kitchen cabinet, snoring my head off, I'm afraid I'm going to do something harmful if I don't get this sleeping thing under control.

Seems like the opinion on Provigil is if it works for you people love it if not forget it.

I will give it a week, do you think that's long enough? She told me just to take the half tab in am, so I will and I will probably go right back to bed and then I will see what happens.

thanks again,

gail
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can bring up our old posts on it. Do some online research about the potential side effects. Not even the pharmaceutical company which developed it knows exactly how it works except that it works in the area of the brain which produces dopamine.

I have heard doctors lately express concern about drugs which alter brain chemistry with long-term use. This medication hasn't been on the market long enough to know what decades of use will do.

Love, Mikie
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

Just ran across your last post. I think it will help you. Keep in mind though that for most provigil users, it won't back you feel like wonder woman, and it won't make the FM/CFS fatigue disappear as if it never existed. If you look at it as a tool to get started in the right direction, then I think you'll be pleased with the results.

One of the things I like most about provigil is that when I completely overdo things physically, provigil is NOT going to stop my body from getting the rest it needs. In other words, if I am legitimately exhausted from knowingly doing too much, taking a dose of provigil is not going to keep me awake and allow me to push my body even further over the edge.

Starting out slowly is good. You might find that taking the other half around 1pm will help carry you through the rest of the day. It does seem to have a short life span....about 4-5 hours.

There is another name , or at least a very, very close cousin to provigil that many in the UK and Canada take. This form has been around for a while. I'm sorry I can't recall the name of it, but maybe in the back posts here you can run across it.

When I asked my doctor about it almost two years ago I hadn't noticed as hugh a number of FM/CFS patients taking it. Now however, many of the "experts" ( i.e., Dr. Lapp in North Carolina and the FFC centers ) have provigil in their main line treat-the-symptoms arsenal. It is not as agressive as ritilin or adderall .... both of which are used to fight FM/CFS's excessive daytime sleepiness.

In our illness, we have to make sometimes tough decisions about which medications are worth the risk for. I also take lunesta at night in order to get the quality sleep I need. Here again, I'm taking a medication that is "fooling" my brain into thinking a certain way ... definately messing with brain chemicals. It , however , is indispensable to me and therefor worth it.

That reminds me .... have you had a sleep study done ? I truely believe all FM/CFS patients should have this as a frontline defense against the illnesses. There are more then just "insomnia" plagueing us. Too much REM, no REM, alpha intrusion and sleep apnea. Different medicationa adress the different sleep disorders. AD's, ambien and xyrem are all horrible for me .... they surpress REM sleep in which I get zero of .. without lunesta. Without the sleep study, my doctor may have rx'ed a common , yet counterproductive sleep medication for me.

I'm sorry I got carried away here. I am feeling better and I believe my improved sleep has contributed greatly. I take many different kinds of supplements that I think are responsible for improving my health at the cellular level. I'm thankful I had/have provigil in my protocal treating the symptom of fatigue .... gives me the chance to fight another day on the cellular level.

Hope you feel better,

Elsa

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That we have to perform our due diligence and decide whether the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks of any med.

I love my Klonopin but I am still concerned about the long-term effects. I cannot function without it, so I will continue to take it. It has been a God send to me.

Dr. Cheney has spoken out about Provigil, but he is the only one I have read about who thinks it may cause damage to the brain's ability to produce dopamine with long-term use. Other docs speak more generally about long-term use of drugs which alter the brain's chemistry. This includes Klonopin. Dr. Cheney believes that the Klonopin actually protects the brain's neurons from premature death due to overfiring.

Like most decisions, we will find info which supports both sides of the issue. It can be very difficult to decide what to do. I look forward to the day when research finds a cure so that we don't have to take so many medications to control our symptoms.

Good luck to anyone who tries Provigil. I hope it works for you.

Love, Mikie
  9. elsa

elsa New Member

I am so with you on looking forward to the day when treatment and cure for FM/CFS is straight forward and , with fingers crossed, non-threatening.

The rx's make me nervous. So many of the supplements in my protocal have made a hugh difference in how I am feeling these days. They are making it possible for me to take less and less of my rx medication. With any luck, I'll continue to progress in that direction.

I guess , like you , I have no idea what I would replace my sleep med. with that wasn't as risky ... ( lack of better term )... For the time being .... until the cure comes down the pike.... I guess I'll continue on and say my prayers at night.

Hope you're feeling good today after all the doctor's appointments you've had recently.

Talk soon,

Elsa
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've always suspected I had ADHD when I was a kid. I think I suffer a bit of ADD now. That is probably why it did not work for me.

I am glad it works for others. In the studies which the pharmaceutical company did on this drug, the ones for whom the Provigil worked described it as about as effective as caffeine.

Judging from some of the responses on the board, I would guess that for some, it works better than caffeine. I see caffeine as a drug and I drink some half-caf in the mornings. I think it helps a little.

As my sleep has improved with the Klonopin and I continue to destroy the pathogens in my body, I generally have more energy. This last month has been an exception and I'm going through tests to try to determine why. It may just be that I need more time to recover from a hurried and stressful trip up to see my new grandson. Family isn't stressful, but the physical factors involved in getting up there and home were.

Other thing is that I'm getting some cardio tests done which I've put off. There are so many facets to these illnesses that we can hardly deal with them all at once.

I have found that when I discover something which helps, everything else which is helping seems to work better. There is a synergy in treating our symptoms. It's not as good as a cure, but it's better than going downhill.

Love, Mikie
  11. mrsED

mrsED New Member

My doctor agreed to let me try provigil, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it unless you have a dx of sleep apnea.
    I was hopeful it might help me, but didn't get a chance to try it. (It is very expensive)

MrsEd
  12. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

that answered me, I did read just about all the previous posts about Provigil. Well I woke up early 8:30am believe me that is vary early for me, since I went to bed at 5:00am and took a 1/2 of 200mg tablet and went immed back to sleep, part of my plan : ))

I woke up at 10:30 feeling like a million bucks considering what I have been feeling like, Elsa I'm with you the no sleeping at night and sleeping all day is ruining my life, or should I say I have no life without sleep.

I have had 2 sleep tests the first one was sooooo bad they wanted me to come back to make sure everything was for real. I woke up over 200 ya you heard me times in the night. The Dr put me on a Bi-Pap machine, there is nothing structurally wrong with nose or mouth, this is my good old brain.

I have tried at least 6 masks no go, I either rip them off or I start choking in my sleep, I was exhausted. I have appt with sleep Dr in Sept., who is a Pulmonologist BTW, he said he had something else to try on me if I absolutley couldn't wear the mask, but I need one very bad.

I wonder if he was going to put me on the Provigil hehe, I got that from my PCP, when I go to him I am going to try one more mask I have been shopping around on line, I'm going to go for the gel one which they didn't have but I think my Ins will pay for one. The Bi-Pap masks have to cover whole face, nose and mouth and I am terribly claustrophobic but I will see in Sept.

I actually felt great and went out and saw people and walked and Elsa your right when I got tired I knew it, I came home and took a 2hr nap.

I want to thank you all again for your great advice and Mikie good luck with the Cardio Tests :))

take good care,

gail
  13. elsa

elsa New Member

What is a bi-pap mask/machine? Is that for sleep apnea? The awakenings are awful but typical of fibro. If it's not sleep apnea, why wouldn't your doctor try xyrem or maybe ambien? ..... or even lunesta?

Sorry about all the questions ..... kind of intrusive.
    I know I wouldn't deal at all with a mask if it wasn't for sleep apnea and had to. Thank goodness I don't have it.

Glad the provigil helped you. Good luck with your up
    coming appointment.

Elsa
  14. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

A Bi-Pap mask is for sleep apenea which I have very bad. The C-Pap machine is a continuos flow of air, the Bi-Pap is just air one way, they want your brain to tell you to breath not have the machine do it for you.

I think that is right if not I'm in the ball park, I wish I could wear a C-Pap as some people only have to wear little pillows on their nose.

Both my nose and mouth have to be covered to make myself breath, I have two things mixed together I think they said.

take care,

gail