What's this about SPIES??? (social security)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sleepyinlalaland, Aug 9, 2005.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

Sometime during last few days I saw a couple posts about spies that may try to disqualify social security recipients based on their activities. Also, that they could go so far as question neighbors, etc.

I can understand this might happen when a private disability insurance is involved...but SSI? or SSDI?

Especially for most of us who have difficult-to-categorize, "invisible" disabilities...what would they LOOK for?

I take walks severaltimes a week, not because I want to (I don't), or because it helps my condition (it doesn't), but because I figure it's still good for my over-all health. If I don't have to keep a regular 8-hour schedule, I feel well enough to do most anything for a SHORT period of time.

I finally won S.S. after 4 very miserable years, and since I haven't yet received backpay due, this spy-talk gives me the creeps. Say it ain't so.
  2. sleepyinlalaland

I was hoping maybe the original posters (re. SPIES) would weigh in. Still wondering if "spies" are rountinely used for S.S. (as opposed to private disability)
  3. nina2

nina2 New Member

I have heard of it. I've heard that they do guestion your
    neighbors.

I guess it's because they believe that there are many trying to fraud the system.

I don't really know the details on this but I did here that is true.

I know for sure that Workmans Compensation has a team of investigators with cameras and sophisticated equipment ready to catch someone doing what they claim they cannot do.

I know that it sounds so intrusive and in violation of your privacy but I believe there is some law out there that states that they are within their rights.

Kinda makes you a bit paranoid.

nina
  4. sleepyinlalaland

that they may check to see if you are doing something you claimed not to be able to do. I told the judge the truth, that I could probably do anything for a very limited time period.

I'm just massively, catastrophically disorganized due to a lifetime of insomnia!
  5. nina2

nina2 New Member

It's not really fair in some cases as you may have some poor soul out there who is feeling extra good one day and

does a few things more than usual and BAM! Gotcha!

Like shaking a rug out or doing lawn work for crying out loud.

And that is the case for so many. We get those days (occasionally) when we feel like doing a bit more, even though we pay for it later.

They don't come inside your home and see you when you feel like death warmed over and can barely move.

That's just the way it is.

nina
  6. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Sleepyinlalaland:

I have heard of "investigations" of people who are on Social Security. You may have read recently about the number of "active" pilots who are receiving social security benefits. There was a great deal of coverage, as it seems unlikely that if a person was receiving social security disability benefits that you would want to entrust them to fly any planes...especially commercial planes. While this was supposedly tied to Homeland Security, the licenses were yanked and investigations were started on some of the individuals who were actually commercial (some passenger some freight) pilots, claiming to be disabled enough to collect disability benefits, yet still able to fly.

While I understand that many of us have "invisible" manifestations of our illnesses, they are looking for the more serious abusers of the system. Those who claim disability, or worker's comp, etc., and then go out and build houses, play organized sports, etc.

As a tax-payer I think that this is a good start and that social security is for those who need it, but that like any financial assistance program that the US government administers, it is likely to be abused.

If you feel that you are being targeted unfairly, I suggest that you write to your congressman and or senator. Do you remember what the IRS used to be able to do to citizens? Those tactics were outlawed due to their seemingly unfairness and lack of uniform application.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  7. nina2

nina2 New Member

Not too long ago our newspaper carried a story on a local man who had been collecting Comp checks for three years for a back injury.

They apparently had a huge fraud case against him as he was photographed dragging a deer out of he woods that he bagged while hunting.

His name was smeared not to mention the charges against him in a federal court.

I don't think he was aware of being followed that day.

Most of us can't drag ourselves out of bed in the morning, much less a deer out of the woods.lol

I know that both SS and Comp have toll free numbers for fraud reports in the directory.

I think most of the time they follow uo on that stuff if they have their own suspicion.

nina

8. Bambi

Bambi New Member

or 60 Minutes several years ago about people being videotaped doing all sorts of outrageous things while on
    disability. I can't remember if it was SSD doing it or private disability insurers though.

They caught one guy working side jobs and unloading a large shipment of concrete bags off a truck. Another was doing workouts on a thing that gymnastic people use, those rings that are attached to long ropes? Anyway they did catch some BIG fakers not just somebody picking up quarters.

I might be able to pick up a 25 pound bag of cat litter today (well not today) but some days and carry it inside the house. An hour later or the next day I might not be able to
    lift my Chihuahua! But I think they look for the really fraud actions where people are doing things we couldn't do on our BEST day in years!

I worry some because I was asked to
    write a letter about a friend's abilities before she applied for SSD
    and how little she could do by the
    time she applied. It was totally TRUE and even though she IS still disabled by severe depression and extreme obesity..over 300 pounds last time I saw her several years ago. But now I
    know from her own mouth the last time
    I talked to her via phone about 3 or
    4 years ago, she and her husband both
    were heavily into Meth. I cut off communication with her at that time, I couldn't figure out what she was
    saying anyway..made NO sense.

But I've always wondered if I should have reported it to SS even though I hadn't SEEN her using anything and only had her words to go by. If I hadn't written the letter I'd have felt less responsible for her later actions, but since I DID write it it
    seemed like I probably should have called them. It's so hard when it's someone you loved and had such high
    esteem for..and knowing they would be
    out on the street if they lost their
    benefits, but I would do it if I was supposed to.

I learned a lesson when a rape happened in our town and a description of the men involved and
    drawings of them was put on the news.
    The drawings, clothing worn and general height, weight and "accent"
    when speaking..as well as the car they drove..all fit to a tee an aquaintence of ours. They asked that anyone who might have info to call the Silent Witness program. So I called and didn't LIKE calling, but it was RAPE and I knew the person was on drugs and not sure what he might
    do. The other person in the drawing was a dead ringer for his cousin. The dress style was unusual for most people.

When I called the officer was extremely rude and asked me "Why would you want to get your "friend"
    in trouble?". I said I didn't want to
    get ANYone in trouble but the fact was these people FIT the description
    all the way to the very car they were in. So he said he'd "make a note of it" and hung up on me!! Right then I said I'd never get that involved again. And I haven't, but I still wonder if I should have with my old
    friend. Even if it meant losing her
    benefits, maybe it would have given
    her incentive to get help. I just will never know.