What's this all about

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SharonR, Sep 15, 2002.

1. SharonR

SharonR New Member

Dear members, To the best of my knowledge Dr. Garth Nicolson is the person who discovered the pivotal role of mycoplasma in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Gulf War Illness. Dr. Nicolson devoted thousands of dollars of his own funds to diagnose mycoplasma in Gulf War veterans who couldn't afford the tests and then went on to diagnosing it in people with CFS. I'd like to share with you all two posts I sent to the list one-and-a-half hours before it was closed for several weeks. Remarks have been made on the list denigrating the reliability of Dr. Nicolson's lab. I thought I'd let Dr. Nicolson have his say on just one case in point, the multiplex test for mycoplasma. At the same time, I decided to include the news he just shared with me about an honor he may receive. It wouldn't be his first. I refer people to Dr. Nicolson's Institute for Molecular Medicine to find his curriculum vitae, but it may not be readily apparent how to find it, so here's the url: http://www.immed.org/cv/_GLN-CV_01_10_30.html The copies of my posts are below....

May we all regain our health, Kathleen Roberts

Subject: Nicolson: I didn't develop/use test Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:50:03 -0700 From: Kathleen Roberts <weerkhr@pacbell.net> To: CFS Mycoplasma <cfs_mycoplasma@yahoogroups.com>

Nicolson denies creating and using multiplex test for mycoplasma.:

Dear Kathleen,

Was this completely wrong statement about my developing and using the mycoplasma multiplex test ever propagated? This is complete false and libelous. The multiplex test was developed by other laboratories and adopted and published by Aristo Vojdani for mycoplasmal infections--the laboratory that Leslee lists as the No. 1 lab for testing for mycoplasmas! We never used or published on the multiplex test, and we certainly never trained anyone in its use because we don't recommend it or use it! Perhaps it is now time to set Leslee straight on this! Examination of the methods sections of our papers [available on www.immed.org] indicates that we do not use the multiplex test, nor did we develop this test. The proper reference for its development is:

Choppa PC, Vojdani A, Tagle C, et al. Multiplex PCR for the detection of Mycoplasma fermentans, M. hominis and M. penetrans in cell cultures and blood samples of patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Mol Cell Probes 1998; 12:
    301-308.

Subject: Re: [cfs_mycoplasma] Garth Nicolson nominated for medal Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:50:36 -0700 From: Kathleen Roberts <weerkhr@pacbell.net> To: cfs_mycoplasma@yahoogroups.com References:

Kathleen Roberts wrote:

Note on Garth Nicolson: For those viewing Dr. Garth Nicolson's curriculum vitae on

his website (http://www.immed.org) what isn't mentioned there is that he'ss been recently nominated for the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom (for valor) by the leadership of the U.S. House of Representatives.

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm
  2. SharonR

SharonR New Member

Dear members, To the best of my knowledge Dr. Garth Nicolson is the person who discovered the pivotal role of mycoplasma in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Gulf War Illness. Dr. Nicolson devoted thousands of dollars of his own funds to diagnose mycoplasma in Gulf War veterans who couldn't afford the tests and then went on to diagnosing it in people with CFS. I'd like to share with you all two posts I sent to the list one-and-a-half hours before it was closed for several weeks. Remarks have been made on the list denigrating the reliability of Dr. Nicolson's lab. I thought I'd let Dr. Nicolson have his say on just one case in point, the multiplex test for mycoplasma. At the same time, I decided to include the news he just shared with me about an honor he may receive. It wouldn't be his first. I refer people to Dr. Nicolson's Institute for Molecular Medicine to find his curriculum vitae, but it may not be readily apparent how to find it, so here's the url: http://www.immed.org/cv/_GLN-CV_01_10_30.html The copies of my posts are below....

May we all regain our health, Kathleen Roberts

Subject: Nicolson: I didn't develop/use test Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:50:03 -0700 From: Kathleen Roberts <weerkhr@pacbell.net> To: CFS Mycoplasma <cfs_mycoplasma@yahoogroups.com>

Nicolson denies creating and using multiplex test for mycoplasma.:

Dear Kathleen,

Was this completely wrong statement about my developing and using the mycoplasma multiplex test ever propagated? This is complete false and libelous. The multiplex test was developed by other laboratories and adopted and published by Aristo Vojdani for mycoplasmal infections--the laboratory that Leslee lists as the No. 1 lab for testing for mycoplasmas! We never used or published on the multiplex test, and we certainly never trained anyone in its use because we don't recommend it or use it! Perhaps it is now time to set Leslee straight on this! Examination of the methods sections of our papers [available on www.immed.org] indicates that we do not use the multiplex test, nor did we develop this test. The proper reference for its development is:

Choppa PC, Vojdani A, Tagle C, et al. Multiplex PCR for the detection of Mycoplasma fermentans, M. hominis and M. penetrans in cell cultures and blood samples of patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Mol Cell Probes 1998; 12:
    301-308.

Subject: Re: [cfs_mycoplasma] Garth Nicolson nominated for medal Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:50:36 -0700 From: Kathleen Roberts <weerkhr@pacbell.net> To: cfs_mycoplasma@yahoogroups.com References:

Kathleen Roberts wrote:

Note on Garth Nicolson: For those viewing Dr. Garth Nicolson's curriculum vitae on

his website (http://www.immed.org) what isn't mentioned there is that he'ss been recently nominated for the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom (for valor) by the leadership of the U.S. House of Representatives.

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm
  3. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

Where did you get this from?

-Shoobie