What's up with all the new, silly toothpaste flavors?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zenouchy, Apr 30, 2007.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi All!

This just cracks me up: have you all noticed all the new toothpaste flavors?! My husband asked me to buy him any kind of mint toothpaste (mint, "fresh mint", "sparkly mint", "cool mint", "clean mint" or whatever clever way they can think of to name mint these days) with tartar control.

It took me at least ten minutes to find it in the mind-boggling array of toothpastes they had on the aisle. This combination was a much less popular offering on the toothpaste aisle than cinnamint, vanilla mint, "whitening" (which by the way is terrible on the enamel), "Total Care", sensitivity, baking soda, etc, etc! Enough marketing hype already! Just give me some mint toothpaste and let's be done!

Smiles to all (pun intended), and warm hugs too,

2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I have used Crest for sensitive teeth for years. Had to, couldn't drink anything cold or eat ice cream. The last few years... I have been back to hot tea and no ice cream. I want just the plain old Crest for sensitive teeth. Too many options is overwhelming. And is it really necessary??

3. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I found myself standing in front of the femine hygenie stuff the other day.

HaHa!! Brain fog galor!

I'm glad we have options, and great chooses, but too many can be quit overwhelming.
  4. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

...that's my newest pet peeve, silly product ads that claim their personal care products like deodorant, etc. have "technology". They DON'T have technology. The people who MAKE them may have technology, but the stick of deodorant doesn't.

Or is it just me? lol
  5. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I agree with you all---the marketing hype is a little too obvious. "Technology" is for computers and TVs. It's rare for me to get fibro foggy, much less in a toothpaste aisle---a definite sign of too many extraneous choices!

Have a great day all!

6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Orange, eh? Doesn't sound appealing. I'm just waiting them to come up with flavors like raspberry swirl and purple passion---almost like smoothies. I bet it's in the works!

Thanks for posting!

Be well,

7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Not just the toothpaste either! Have you seen how many kinds of toothbrushes there are now?

My DH likes an Oral-B Pulsar (I don't, just a good old brush for me!). I went looking at Wal-Mart last week and the Pulsar comes in a couple different styles now and on one of the aisles they had kids toothbrushes that play music! It would have been fun to get DH one of those but after he takes his hearing aids out he wouldn't be able to hear it anyway!

10 kinds of Triscuts

7 kinds of apples

12 kinds of cat food

6 kinds of milk

8 kinds of cottage cheese

These are the items that my MIL has trouble with every week when we take her shopping. I pick up her toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and face soap so she doesn't have to try to remember what she had last time!

We take it all with humor, but it really is a problem for MIL and others with memory problems. I'm glad I can help her, DH is not quite so patient!

Choose Joy!
  8. budmickl

budmickl New Member

What about laundry soap and fabric softner?

As long as they keep making the fragrence/color free, I don't care what else they come out with.

I can't tolerate the odors from the soaps, softners, perfume, deodorant, room fragrences, etc. And I don't have FM so I can't imagine what those suffers have to put up with!

9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

You both bring up some great points. Greenbean, I never though about how many toothbrushes there are! The prices on toothbrushes have gone up a lot too---part of that marketing hype.

I just need a soft toothbrush. A few years ago, I found a pack of TEN soft toothbrushes at Walgreens for only one dollar (!!), and they worked great. I bought 3 packs of them, so that's lasted me quite awhile. I like to change my toothbrushes frequently though so I'm glad I found those. I haven't seen them there lately. Perhaps they'll sell them there again though. It's made by a brand called "Dr. Fresh"---the name always cracks me up.

I actually like having choices to an extent. However, when there's about 20+ choices in which all the packages look very similar and the wording on the packaging is small, it really makes me nuts! I don't usually have a problem at all---for some reason the toothpaste is my Achilles heal. :)

Budmickl, I used to think that the new scents for the laundry detergents were really fun and nice-smelling, but then I realized that I couldn't tolerate the scents. I'm sure I'm odor sensitive like many folks with fibro. I do fine with the original Tide; the scent isn't nearly as strong as the other ones.

Thanks for posting!

Hugs, Erika
  10. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I can smell original Tide a block away. And it makes me nausea.

According to 'them', a tooth brush is only good for about 3 mths or less. If you have been sick, you are supposed to change brushes because it will have the germs on it.

I have an Oral B electric toothbrush, recommended and sold by my dentist. I actually like it. But the replacement heads for 3 brushes is almost $15. OUCH! But I pay it because my gums and teeth really do show an improvement.