What's Worse? The Exhaustion or the Pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blondieangel, Apr 16, 2003.

1. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

I seem to cycle, due to hormonal changes, I believe. I can go through periods of exhaustion, when I feel relaxed and all I want to do is sleep...then I go through periods of severe pain, whether it be joint, hand, or the all over burning pain (that makes me feel like 'running' out of my body)...do others here experience this? I seem to have more energy sometimes when in severe pain i.e. can't nap. My menstrual cycle is very irregular, and has been for at least the past 14 years.
    Just wondering....
    Love,
    Blondieangel;-)
  2. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hey Blondiangel,

This has been a loaded question for me for as many as 12 years now. Since childhood, I've always loved my naps.
    When my children were little, I took naps when they did.
    Then when I discovered I had "THE BIG D" (FM) I still worked, and rushed around big time taking care of the kids and house, and going to yard sales, just really pushing myself. I thought of the exaustion as just that, plain ole
    everyday exaustion. But, now that I'm out of work, due to FM and pain, I do see that they tend to go hand in hand.

On a good day, if I'm not in too much pain, I can manage to do a few things around the house. But..... When the pain is in the area of 7 out of 10 it just wears me out.

So I guess I'd have to say that the two go hand in hand for me now.
    If I go to the store, by the time I get home, I'm usually pretty wore out, even if there's not so much pain.
    Some times if I have over done things and gotten too tired, I'll sit in the recliner, that's when the pain will kick in. The muscle spasms start and that's about it
    for the day.

I believe anyone that has pain can be mentally and physically wiped out by the effects the pain has on us.

Good Question.
    Diane

ps I also wonder if people who have long standing depression end up having chronic pain from the emotional
    effects it put on our bodies.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have meds and/or can work through the pain, but when I have no energy, I can do nothing.

Love, Mikie
  4. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

they are equal for me.

Tammy
  5. bejo

bejo New Member

My exhaustion is definitely worse than my pain.It seems to be different for everyone.I kind of think that is one reason that FMS is hard to treat,it affects different people different ways. bejo
  6. 2girls

2girls New Member

Pain & exhaustion seem to coincide, but I would have to say the pain is more significant.

2girls
  7. abjessop

abjessop New Member

My pain used to be worse, until I got it under control with physio and Magnesium supplements. But it was never bad enough to keep me from working

The exhaustioon and brain fog are what keeps me from working more than a few hours a week, but I don't reallly mind them (they don't hurt!). I haven't lost hope yet that I'll get them under control, though!!

hugs,

abby
  8. kakirk928

kakirk928 New Member

because at least when it's pain, I have a "legitimate" complaint. When I complain of "being exhausted" sometimes I feel like folks think I'm just being lazy. And it brings guilt for "laying around" when I could be doing something productive or fun. Plus, I find that it's the exhaustion that will put me in bed, when I can usually work through some of the pain.

Thank God for a wonderful fiance who understands!
  9. oldwave

oldwave New Member

I think I could deal with the pain much better if I weren't so tired all the time. A lot of times, I feel like I've been up for days cramming for a big test that never comes.

The pain and fatigue get even worse just before and during that time of the month.
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

its hard to say.I think the pain is stronger.Most of the time. The tiredness is a b**ch too!! I guess they're neck to neck~( I think my pain is worse)at the very moment anyway~I'M COMFUSED!!! lol
  11. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I just can't seem to figure it out. I have only had this DD for about 6 months or so, so I don't know if there are any patterns to my pain and exhaustion yet. I try to keep a journal, but I forget to write in it alot. I know that I am definatly useless to the world a couple of days bedore and a couple of days into my period. I don't think that I have ever had a heavy pain day without heavy exhaustion. They seem to go hand in hand.

Kathryn
  12. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I can manage to deal with the pain, but the exaustion/fatigue is beyond me. I don't know of anything I can do or take that will help.

Shalom, Shirl
  13. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

For me it's the Pain. I have FMS/CMP and that cause's me horrible pain.
    I take meds, and I can usually be pretty active for awhile, but then the Pain comes back, and by then I'm tired from the Combo of both CMP and FMS.

My Doctors want me to get some solid sleep, but I have Never been able to, it's my own weird symptom, I guess, sleep for 3/4 hours, be up for 3/4 hours, and then back to bed, for maybe a couple, then up again.

I feel fine after I wake up, can do errands, Housework, which Is Excerise btw ;o}
    and I don't feel tired, it's after I have been up and about that I get Tired again.

So for me it's Pain.
    Have you had your H. Level's checked? Maybe you need to be on some. I went on them at an early age, and they helped for awhile. Now I don't take them, but my body dosen't seem to really need them either. I did take Hormones when I was trying to get Pregrant. My tests come back ok, so I don't worry about it too much.

Also there is a Flush feeling that comes with the FMS/CMP, which is similiar to Hot Flashes, but still different.
    Be sure to check with your Dr.

Sincerely
    kredca4
  14. kadywill

kadywill New Member

found a good pain management program, I would have to say the fatigue is my major problem. A year ago, I said to my Rheumatologist that the pain was overwhelming.....thankfully, the pain is controlled now. Since I have trouble sleeping, I am hesitant to take a med for the fatigue that may make the insomnia worse. I'll just have to continue resting as needed and just take it day by day.
    Good luck to you....
    Love,
    Kady
  15. JadeFire

JadeFire New Member

For me I have more pain than fatigue. I prefer fatigue over pain too, since sleeping isn't so bad (especially if it's cold, then you can bundle up and it's almost fun in a humorous silly and childish way lol).
  16. marecee58

marecee58 New Member

In my case ... I think the constant pain is what causes the fatigue and exhaustion.