What's Your Cup of Tea?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, May 6, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

With the warm weather approaching, so many people are looking forward to all those cool refreshing summer drinks...but not me!! I am committed to my hot tea all year long! My current favorites are Trader Joe's Pomegranate White tea and Starbucks Wild Sweet Orange. If I'm in the mood for tea with milk and a little sugar, nothing else compares to Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast Tea(in the green box). While only the Starbucks tea is caffeine free, the caffeine in the Trader Joe's tea is only marginal. Can anyone recommend any other teas?

[This Message was Edited on 05/06/2008]
  2. Danille

Danille New Member

is usually Salada green tea. I haven't been to Trader Joes for quite a while. I will have to get back there soon. I love Tazo Awake, and any black orange spice or Chai but have sworn off black teas. I feel much better if I stay off caffeine plus black tea is so staining to teeth.

I love sun tea. My green tea makes a delicious sun tea.
  3. caffey

caffey New Member

In Canada Tetley is the only kind of tea. lol. Seriously I like Twinnings Earl Grey, Starbucks Chai tea.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Earl Grey and Darjeeling, sometimes a mix of both - my husband got me into real tea - leaves not bags - he makes a great cupa.

5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

The Trader Joe's Pomegranate White Tea comes in bags.

I once in awhile treat myself to some loose tea from Teavana (I have one of those glass pots that you brew loose tea in). Those teas are VERY pricey though. Last time I went there, I picked up a little of this, a little of that by the ounce, and when the clerk added it up it was $73. I made the cardinal error of having my hubby with me, and he freaked out!! I swear, I thought he would have a coronary--he kept moaning, "$73 for tea" over and over again. I sent him out of the store while I paid, and this woman standing next to me (who was laughing the whole time) said to me, "You know he was the only husband in the store. I would never bring mine." LOL!! But their Japanese Wild Cherry Green Tea is very invigorating when I'm feeling a little out of it--I put a few chopped cherries in the strainer with the tea for some sweetness. And a few ounces lasts a pretty long time.

Another really good tea is Bigelow's Constant Comment, both in the Green and the regular--hubby's favorite. It comes in decaf but if that's your preference, stock up on it because the supermarkets seem to run out of the decaf Constant Comment really quickly. It's a dark tea with a slight spiceyness (sp?) to it.

I also like the peach teas. And I Love Lemon with a touch of honey. I could go on and on about my teas, I think I get it from my Scotch grandmother who was never, ever, ever without a mug of hot tea. In the most blistering summer, she would swear, "Hot tea makes you cool." My sarcastic, Sicilian grandpa would have sweat pouring off of him in the hot summer and he would look at her like she was out of her mind when she kept saying it. Finally, one day, he replied to her, "Yeah, it's like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer. It feels so good when you stop!!!" We all laugh at this family story, because it reminds us of just how dedicated grandma was to her hot tea!!

[This Message was Edited on 05/06/2008]
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Like our tea, boiling hot, with milk and often sugar and definately BLACK.

Here we buy Tetley British Blend.

When I first came here and they would bring lukewarm water for tea brewing. I wish they would have tea pots. They do in Canada.

Where do you live in Canada. There is a great Britoish (Scottish fish and chip rest. in Burlington we love to go to.

Love Annie
  7. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I just love plain 'ole iced tea in the summer time. No lemon, sugar or anything. Just the plain ole black tea with lots of ice.....nothing else better in the summer time.
  8. caffey

caffey New Member

I am about 30miles from Burlington. Not a seafood lover. Sorry. I hear that the Brits always serve tea in a china cup milk first and then tea. Is that true? I know my mother wouldn't dare serve tea in a mug.
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm also a Tea totaler,,,lolol,,,,Celestial (Peppermint) my favorite,,,Bengal spice,,,,,Chamomile/honey,,,,and in the winter they come out with a Sugar plum spice,,,,,it would be so much fun to live next to a Tea Store!,,,,,,,Sis,,,,,,

P.S. Forgot to mention Bentley's Brand of Ginger/Peach!,,,,,,,saw Cats ginger and it reminded me of it,,,,,Mostly though i have to drink caffine Free tea,,,,,sometimes i splurge and put honey and milk in it!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2008]
  10. bct

bct Active Member

I start the day off with 2 cups of English Breakfast. About mid-day I may have a cup of Darjeeling or Irish Breakfast. At tea time, I have Irish Breakfast. After dinner, a cup of Oolong.

I drink herb teas all day; chamomile mostly, with ginger lump. Also licorice tea, ginger tea. Sometimes Celestial's Blueberry tea -- new, and surprisingly good.

Well, I'm now in the mood for a cuppa!
    Cheers, all,

11. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have mostly given up black tea. Caffeine is supposed to be bad for people with ME/CFS. I usually limit my caffeine intake to dark chocolate. If I do splurge, it is P.G. tips with sugar and milk.

I drink green tea, often decaffeinated, and a variety of herbal teas including chamomile, ginger, and mint. Numi dry desert lime is especially refreshing in the summertime. It would probably be good iced, but I drink it hot.
  12. poets

poets Member

Has anyone tried blueberry tea? My daughter had some at her house and I tried it. It was great. You really don't need a lot of sugar. Aside from black tea, it's one of my favorites.

13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I like Indian style tea. It is black tea boiled in a mix of milk and water with a bit of ginger and other spices. There are differences in the way the tea is made in different regions of India, Nepal and other places -- different spices.

It should ideally be made on a dusty street in an old saucepan, tossed in a precise arc in the air to stir by a skilled tea maker and sloshed into little cracked white cups with saucers. Or, better yet, into little clay cups you smash on the ground when you are done where they simply become part of the earth once more.

The stuff they sell at chain coffee shops bears no similarity and I cannot choke it down. Same for anything in a packet in the store. Ack, ick, yech! No resemblence, none!

I cannot quite manage to make it properly myself. Too bad because it is absolutely delicious!

14. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I love the British style teas that are strong. I add a little cream and enjoy.
  15. caffey

caffey New Member

I was in the grocery store today and saw Twinnings Earl Grey Tea and Twinnings Lady Earl Grey Tea. I couldn't get my hands up that high and no one was around to pull them down for me. Anyway does anyone know the difference between the two? Thanks.
  16. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

hey, Rafiki, you can buy the authentic ingredients for chai at an Indian grocery store. They told me how to make it, too. Although I like mine weaker than the authentic version. lol

I love Numi lime.

I love Twinnings Lady Grey tea. It has more bergamot than the regular Earl Grey. I like it with milk and sugar.

I love Tazo Passion. It tastes like vitamin C because of the hibiscus in it.

I love Yogi chocolate tea. You can put milk & a sweetener in it and it is divine.

What else....

Celestial Seasoning's blueberry tea, iced, with sparkling water added. Yum!

They served that at the Boulder Dushanbe teahouse. Has anyone else been there?

17. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Yeah! I live just blocks away from my city's neighbourhood known as Little India. What I find really interesting is that you will find more variation in how hot tea should be made in India than you will in all of the rest of the world.

There are a number of Chai tutorials on the net now. Most have little glimpses into family life along with the recipe, which I think is very cool.

I don't actually like tea, per se. I come from an Irish family of heavy duty tea drinkers. I was trained in the classic art of making a cuppa when I was very young. The only coffee we ever had in the house was instant and a jar would last for ever but, as an adult, I became a coffee lover.

The only exception to that rule is Chai. Chai is so strong and rich and spicy that it is, in many ways, more like coffee than UK style tea.

I'm going to google some of your teas. They sound very exotic.

Always bring the pot to the kettle,

ETA I can't make Chai properly myself because, while I might get the method right, I don't get the magic right.

[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2008]
  18. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Now that I have started on the tea thing it is getting hot here. Oh well, I will probably t least drink it in the morning anyway.

It is not always easy to find the really good decaff teas. I was drinking deecaff green tea which koiw is very good for you . Is ther another kind of green decaff tea that has flavors or something or just plain flavored decaff teas for a change??

My mom alwys was a tea drinker to but she made very weak tea and could use one teabag for many cups of tea !! I can use one for oe or two cups wince I do not put milk in mine. In plain tea I put some lemon and maybe hone or a tiny bit of sugar.

Any suggestions will be ey wel appreciated.

19. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

My favorite decaf tea is Bigelow Constant Comment decaf. It's a little spicy and strong if you let it steepfor a few minutes and yet it's decaf.

If your supermarket sells it, stock up if you like it because it seems to take a long time for the stores to restock Constant Comment decaf when it runs out. Also blueberry decaf is very refreshing as well.

20. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Not a tea fan, but do occasionally drink Chai tea...like the tea, spice and milk thing.

However, this is a very informative post for me. Some of the teas mentioned sound good...may have to expand my beverage list.

Have a great Friday,