Whats your experience with probiotics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by _randy_, Aug 8, 2007.

1. _randy_

_randy_ New Member

I am taking them now. So far I have noticed more fatigue and a cramped neck. Please tell me what side effects you experienced and how long you too them. Thanks!
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Probiotics have been a godsend for me. Now, I will tell you that I had a tough time with them at first, getting used to them. They did not cause anything like the symptoms you describe, though, just some mild stomach cramps. I started out slowly, actually taking the capsules apart so I could dump out half; I started with half cap, then built up to one. Now, I take two in the morning on an empty stomach (really how you are supposed to take them, but I started off with food, too, just to help with the cramping; BTW, most people don't seem to experience that effect, though, most people here, anyway, usually have little problem with them).

Now, I love them! I had months of strong antibiotics last year and chemo treatments (leukemia) which totally messed up my stomach. Major IBS issues (something I didn't normally have). Probiotics saved me; in about 2 weeks or so, my stomach was fine again (good news because I was returning to work again and obviously needed my stomach to be OK).

I use a product called I-Flora, by Sedona Labs; I get them online. A naturopath I once went to (and trusted his advice) strongly recommends this type, but there are a lot of good options. I like I-Flora because they don't require refrigeration, as some do, so they are great for traveling. too.

I honestly don't think your neck cramps have anything to do with this (not a doctor, though!) and I personally never experienced any extra fatigue with them, but who knows?

Good luck...let us know how you're doing!

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. Shannah

Shannah Member

I am not a typical responder to probiotics. For some reason, they intensify my overall pain significantly.

I have tried to research reasons for this and have posted on various health groups and have come up with no explanation so far.

Best Wishes
  4. artkin

artkin New Member

I've read (I0ve link, but it's in Italian sorry) that our body react at mercury exposure (i.e. from amalgams) increasing candida overgrown (candida transforms mercury in metil-mercury (sp)
    Maybe (and I underline maybe, it's only a hipotesis) taking probiotics kill part of this candida (which in a non toxic mercury level is a very good thing) and the remaining mercury goes into the blood stream, increasing pain.
    Have you checked your mercury level?
  5. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

randy you maybe herxing...... take it for a while longer and see although iam saying this not having tried probiotics as yet

Good luck I hope it settles for you and works as its said it should

angel hugs
    Connie
  6. artkin

artkin New Member

As far as I knonw mercury level can be checked in the urine (but if candida converts it this test can be not meaningul).
    Alternative doctors in Italy use a test called mineralogram (sp?), but I don't know if it's precise or not.
  7. kateg

kateg New Member

I have taken Probiotics for 5 yrs. If I don't take I will have stomach problems w/bad taste in mouth. Not all Probiotics are equal. I have found Klare Labs brand the best. Has to be stored in the fridg. or the bacteria die. Hope this helps.