Whats Your Favorite Garden Veggi?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Aug 24, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Mine is Cabbage ! I love cabbage green and red! Eat it everyday Raw tho! Not a fan of cooked cabbage...............Carrots, radishes,,,,Tomatoes,,,,cucumbers,,,,,,,,,,,,Squash,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Broccolie,,,,,,,,S
  2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

One of my dreams for a perfect life is to take a salt shaker into my garden and eat cherry tomatoes, edible pod peas and fresh carrots. Some Basil and lettuce too. Sigh.

Next year for sure, I'll get the timing right on the veggies.

Oh, I find that the raddish flowers are much tastier than the actually radishes.
    Sometimes I only eat half of a carrot and put it back in the ground to grow again.
    I have fun in the garden. My favorite place.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2007]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

a big garden. Half flowers and half vegtables.

I am so old I remember when food had flavor. We had tomatoes, sweet corn, radishes, aspargus, carrots, potatoes, onions, lettuce, etc.

Are you sure about that, RMScientist? You can eat half a carrot and it still grow. Maybe you're thinking of starfish w/ their regenerative powers?

A few years ago I grew 5 tomato plants in buckets. They had more flavor than what one can buy at the supermarket, but weren't as good as what we had 50 years ago.

Reminds me of Farmer McGregor and the House that Jack Built.

4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

asparagus, it is SO very expensive over here and no-one grows it in their garden, wonder why?? You pay loads in the supermarkets for very small bunches.

Rock you're right about the flavours, we grew some tomatoes last year and they were delicious, our little plum tree is laden again and its fruit is so sweet.

My husband is going to prepare a vegetable patch for next year and also erect the second hand greenhouse he bought then if he can keep the nasty slugs away without using insecticides we will have garden veg - he wont use insecticide in the garden so sometimes our flowers don't look their best but so what. It's chemical free.

5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

But you are right, Rock- ours are good, but not as good as my grandfather's tomatoes. He was an organic gardener before it was fashionable....he had a huge compost pile, mulched between the rows so it was weed free, had a rainbarrel, and his friend who had rabbits gave him manure. His Italian beefsteaks were the best tomatoes I have ever tasted, bar none. We loved to go to their house and raid the garden!
    p.s. I know tomatoes are technically a fruit, but I still love them.[This Message was Edited on 08/25/2007]
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Finally made it to the p.c.! lolol,,,,,Thanks for all your replies! T~~~~I have to agree with Rock about the carrots!,,,,,,,,,,,my garden spot only contains,,,daises,, sunflowers and strawberries,,,,,and Rhubarb,,,,,,,Montanas growing season is short,,,,But yeah who can pass up thoes fresh carrots and tomatoes!

My Grandmom Had 3 large gardens when we we're kids and every year in late october it was rotertilled with Manure! (Cow),,,,,,,,,,,,,,i know but the flavor of all the veggies,,,like you all have reported was 5-10 times better than whats out there today!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

We have local Farmers markets on saturdays i try to go if i have the extra money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sis
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

that's what I like to see. A post where people say, Rock, you're right!

Somebody said that to me a couple decades ago at work. I was struck by how seldom I've heard that in my lifetime. After that I tried to say it to other people whenever possible.

Speaking of aspargus and rhubarb, they both grow like weeds. You don't even have to plant them every year. And yet they are very expensive.

I was going to buy rhubarb a couple years ago at the supermarket. $2.00 per stalk! Changed my mind in a hurry.

My parents were both lousy at parenting but were fabulous cooks. My Dad has his own restaurant back in the 40s when a meal cost 35 cents.

My mother made wonderful rhubarb pies and sauce.

Rosie, aren't there flowers you can plant to keep pests away? Marigolds or something? I like marigolds. They're so cheerful; like a bed of sunshine.

Good luck to all the home gardeners.

8. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

That is what I used to have! 2 city lots! It got smaller each summer until ity disappeared.

I love the rhubarb! My favorite way is in sauce. And asparagus! We tried to grow it - you ploant it, then wait a few years before you can harvest it. But, oh how good.

You people amd your tomatoes! I can't stand them raw but love them cooked and in things. I used to can quarts and quarts of them.

But my very favorites are sweet corn on the cob - I used to freeze it. Then topping the list is homegrown green beans. Those I grew and canned. Our kids and families and hubby and I like them the unhealthy way~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`Browned bacon chunks, diced onions cooked til clear in the grease and then add beans and cook a looong time. Ssooo good.

I also love wilted lettuce - grown in my garden and radishes.

Good eating

9. sisland

sisland New Member

Sounds sooo Good with the Green Beans and the onions and the bacon!mmmmm,,,,,,My Gramma used to make Creamed peas and baby red potatoes (ohh! Good to!)

I wish i could have a big garden! i would never be in the house and on the pc!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs! ,,,sis
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

My mom used to let us get the carrots out of the garden too! How lucky you are to have a (Chef) Husband!,,,,the pasta sauce sounds great! I have a cousin who made homemade salsa with her mom every year and canned it,,,,was so Good!

L~~How do you make wilted lettuce?,,,,sounds good! Asparagus comes around about 2 times a year up here at the grocery stores,,,,,,,Sweet corn is sooo good with the butter and the a little salt!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Have you ever made ruhbarb--strawberry pie? the R-Custard sounds so good!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2007]
  11. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Couldn't remember if replanting carrots really worked....I don't think I actually checked results before.

Anyway, I just went out to the garden I put in this year at work, and pulled three carrots that I had replanted a couple months ago. All were healthy on top, and though one I had planted whole (an heirloom purple carrot from farmers market). I trim most of leaves off before replanting.

The two that had been half eaten (is this cruelty to carrots? Or am I saving their lives?) had small knobs on the bottom that looked like they would grow into new carrots. I didn't pull any others up but will check again at end of summer. I replanted one on its side to see if it would grow "a row of carrots".

Carrots, a two year plant, has pretty white flowers the second year and the seeds are in stickery burr pods. Still studying carrots to see what else can find out.

Back to the garden now. (I'm just "on call" and nothing happening here at work ) Mr Bill.

(Co-workers love the cherry tomatoes and the strawberries)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2007]
  12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

...my favorite is yellow crooked neck squash...fresh from the garden, steamed with a little butter and salt atop.

We have no room for a garden here, but when we move, we will...and we will have a warmer summer so are eager to do some planting.

Shoot! You are making me hungry!

13. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks so much for the wilted lettuce recipie! will definetly make this in the near future! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sue I used to not like squash as a kid but now (Yum!) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lindy,,,wow thats along time to have a garden !! Your Dad must have loved it!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Normaly i plant tomatoes! but not this year for some reason! The little cherry tomato planst are nice!,,,,,,,,,,,,No cool down in AZ yet?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2007]
  14. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I'm gonna cheat...my favorite is whatever is ripe at the time...usually we have onions before anything else, then cucumbers, then the green beans, so...I can't say...
    my grannie used to make the best oil and vinegar dressing and I never could master it...her wilted lettuce and onions were out of this world, esp. with a skillet of baked cornbread.
  15. sisland

sisland New Member

Your a sly one! Lolol! thats the perfect way to be! i love it when the fresh fruit comes around to the stores ,,Peaches,plums ,apricots,Necterines,Blueberries,Strwaberries,,,,,,You Know! lol
  16. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

My favorite veggie of the moment are cumcumbers because we are eating them fresh from our garden right now. The tomatoes didn't fare so well this year, got the blight, so we didn't have many. The ones we have are tasty though. We finished the grean beans. Those were yummy too.

Our book for this month is "Animal vegetable mineral". It talks a lot about asparagus and made me want to go out and plant some. I wish I knew how to find some wild asparagus. The book tells how it takes three years before you can harvest and eat asparagus so I don't want to plant it at this house because we plan to move in a year or two. So I will plant some as soon as we move into a new house.

[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2007]
  17. sisland

sisland New Member

Your Bk from Vaction!,,,Hope you had a great time!,,,,,,The Garden season is winding down up here also! Theres a huge Rhubarb plant in the community garden here!

But i don't use it Because of all the sugar you have to add to make it edible,,,,,,,,,,,,,Asparagus is quite the complicated vegtable!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Love those Beans and peas too!,,,,Sis
  18. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Yes we came back a day early due to the weather was better here. We had a good time. My granddaughter loved the beach and the boat.

Going to the movies today.

Take care,
  19. bct

bct Active Member

Very few I don't like. Can't think of them right now! I especially like summer corn, okra, and zuchetta rampicante squash (the long, curly, pale green ones), old-fashioned crooknecks and patty-pan squash too.

I always grow a few freak tomatoes. This year I've got little Golden Gems from China and a HUGE white tomato whose name I've mis-placed (probably White Giant).