What's your favorite healthy snack?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eggshel344, Jul 18, 2005.

1. eggshel344

eggshel344 New Member

It's always good to share ideas for stuff like this.

I find that people often find they had no idea they could do that with crackers! LOL

I have a couple favorites.

An out of the house expensive guilty pleasure is Jamba Juice. I rationalize it by saying "they add all those vitamins" and it's fruit! I love them, they are a total adult slurpee fix and $4 plus a pop but soooooo gooood.

At home, I like taking reduced fat Ritz crackers and low fat spreadable Philly cream cheese and topping it off with (believe it or not) a mild pepper ring. (the kind sold in jars by the pickles). Sounds awful, but it's really good, with a bit of a kick. an old boyfriend introduced me to this snack and I thought he was crazy, but it really is good. and since it takes a minute to construct them I find I don't wind up eating a whole box of crackers either, exp. if I make them as I go.

Can't wait to hear other ideas, and I will probably be back with more!

Hugs-
    Samantha
  2. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hi samantha
    i like muller fruit corners,ryvita with garlic spread,i do like a cruchy apple-usually golden delicious :)
  3. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

I love a Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apple dipped in natural chunky peanut butter. I usually have one per day.

I also found a cracker made by Kashi called TLC (Tasty Little Crackers)---very very good, and I dip them in homemade tuna salad (made with low or no fat plain yogurt).

I also found a recipe for roasted chickpeas that I really like--they end up cruncy like cornnuts and you can use any combo of spices that pleases you.

I have recently discovered pumpkin seeds--working on figuring out how to jazz them up.

Also, I dont' mind snacking on veggies, but I need a dip, so I am currently trying to find a good veggie dip recipe.

Nicole
  4. Tiels

Tiels New Member

I can't do hardly any crackers, as I'm very wheat sensitive, but I do like the lower fat tortilla chips, and I love! celery with the PB&J mixture.

My sin I guess! lol! Is my 1-2 cups of Folgers Mocha-Chocolate Cappuccinno daily! :)
  5. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

I can satisfy my snack craving with some crunchy raw veggies with or without dip... carrots and celery mostly. What fun is the boring snacks though, right!!

Trail Mix... deviled eggs.. but filled with mashed chickpeas instead of the yolks. I love strawberries dipped in chocolate... Mmmm love that chocolate!!

Another guilty pleasure of mine is take a bag of doritos... place doritos on microwave plate, put cheddar cheese on the dorito and top it off with a jalepeno pepper... nuke in microwave for about 25 - 30 seconds.. depends on how many you make.. they are also good with bananna peppers instead of the jalepeno but I prefer the jalepenos.

Someone else mentioned the Kashi TLC crackers.. love them!! Kashi has a bunch of different products out now and the most recent that I have seen are in the aisle with the granola bars.. too pricey to try them yet but looking forward for them to go on sale!! I love the Kashi cereals too... the Go Lean Crunch mixed in some yogurt... yum!!

Wow I am getting hungry.... gotta go get a snack!!

6. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

Can you post the recipe for roasted chickpeas please... I love chickpeas and am always looking for new ways to eat them.

Thanks a bunch!!
    Tina
  7. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

1 (12 ounce) can chickpeas
    (garbanzo beans), drained
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    salt (optional)
    garlic salt (optional)
    cayenne pepper (optional)

Directions
    1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
    2 Blot chickpeas with a paper towel to dry them. In a
    bowl, toss chickpeas with olive oil, and season to taste
    with salt, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper, if using.
    Spread on a baking sheet, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes,
    until browned and crunchy. Watch carefully the last few
    minutes to avoid burning.

I also rinse the chickpeas after I drain them--I like using the garlic salt and cayenne pepper, but really, I think any spice combo you like would work

P.S. The recipe calls for 2 TBS of olive oil, I only use 1 TBS, and it came out just fine.

Nicole
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2005]
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

A Milky Way!!!! Ice Cream Bar!! Drumstick!! Chocolate Fudge Pop for only 60 calories!! A good glazed donut!!

Oh, forgot, you said healthy!!! LOL

In the canned fruit section of the grocery stores, they carry these cups of Jello w/fruit - about 4 cups in one package/box. I like one of those--preferrably the strawberry jello w/peaches and put it in a bowl with a big scoop of cottage cheese.

Or have one of those jello cups w/fruit, put it in a bowl and top it off with some "lite" cool whip!

I started buying these little jello cups, pudding cups, and cinnamon applesauce in those little cups after the kids left home, because my husband and I won't eat a large bowl full of anything. But, I remember the days when I told my kids that anybody who bought "ready-made" Jello must be just plain lazy because it is so simple to make!!! Well, I guess I am admitting that I am just plain lazy now!!

jlh
  9. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I put peanut butter on celery or on apples. I like the crunchy kind. I also like cream cheese on celery too.
  10. itzmeannie

itzmeannie New Member

with the spigot. I immediately thought she wasted her money since I already owned a blender. But there IS a difference in that it blends silky smooth while keeping it thick.

My current favorite is to blend frozen peaches, vanilla yogurt and OJ.

11. libra55

libra55 New Member

Seedless grapes with a small wedge of cheese
    Carr Table Water Crackers thinly spread with peanut butter.
    Any kind of fruit with yogurt
    Baby carrots
    Cottage cheese and sliced pineapple

Now I've got the munchies.

Michelle
  12. Vada

Vada New Member

I have a couple : carrots and celery sticks with fat free ranch dressing; carrots/celery sticks/McIntosh apples with creamy peanut butter.

My ultimate favorite snack is to take lowfat yogurt (any flavor) mix it with fresh blueberries, some canned lite peaches, a cut up banana, some crushed Special K with red berries and a little coconut. Mix it all together and it's a great snck or even replaces a meal. LaVada
  13. lilbird

lilbird New Member

is celery with peanut butter and raisins.

Cathy
  14. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

Nicole thank you for posting the receipe... can't wait to get the stuff and make some!!
  15. dorabella

dorabella New Member

a nice thick wedge of sharp English cheddar. As long as it is only an occasional snack it's not that unhealthy and we do need our calcium!!

D
  16. gravitychallenged

gravitychallenged New Member

I have just lost 80 lbs so I needed to have a bunch of healthy snacks to graze on duriing the day. Mainly I chose fruit - pineapple, grapes, nectarines, melon and apples are my favorites. I also have celery with a smidgeon of peanut butterand 3 Wheat Thins at a time. I guess it did the trick!

GC
  17. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

Congrats on losing 80 lbs!!!
  18. eggshel344

eggshel344 New Member

That's amazing!!!!

Congrats!

I can't lose 5 :(

Way to go!
  19. eggshel344

eggshel344 New Member

Grape trick...

If you like grapes... FREEZE them... especially in the summer. I toss a bowl of grapes in the freezer and they make a great frozen treat. healthier than ice cream or popcicles.

Cheers-
    Samantha
  20. puglover29

puglover29 New Member

You say garbonzo beans, too, but don't include them in the desciption. Do you roast them both together?