What's your favorite movie for hard times?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jan 20, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Lately, I've been curious about what movies have given people comfort, solace, inspiration, humor, or helped them in some way in difficult times, either recently or in the past.

Are there any movies like that for you, especially ones that profoundly left an impression on you?

Anything goes here, from the ridiculous to the sublime.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/20/2007]
  2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

you may laugh and it may sound silly... but "Forest Gump".. I laughed, I cried and I thought it was a beautful story and had a good moral to it.

That may not be what you were thinking. I have a corky sense of humor and my hubby recites most of the words, though very annoying, he calls me his "Jennn - aaaaa"

he he
  3. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

The Horse Whisperer.........just watched it again recently.
    Reminds me that even "damaged goods" can be repaired.

4. sisland

sisland New Member

But the Movie "Praire Home Companion" I Just love how they were trying to pretend it wasn't going to bother them that it was their Last show! I Need to rent it again and watch it all over again!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it was one of the best movies i've seen in Years! Next to "The Coal Miners Daughter",,,,,S
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Has to be A Wonderful Life and the one about where the war heroes come home, Best Years of Our Lives.

I get so choked up with them. I also like Grapes of Wrath. I think when I see the suffering of others on film this way it makes me feel more thankful.

Grapes of Wrath is on IMF tonight.

For sheer fun, the three stooges are hard to beat and the Marx brothers.

Love Annie C
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Seems to be a big problem lately. Must be the electronic gremlins.
  7. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Lynna - I love Horse Whisperer too! All horse movies, actually, put me in a good mood.

My main comfort movie is Almost Famous. I love it to death. If ever I've had a bad day, I put it on late at night. It's my favorite thing to treat myself with if it's been a difficult day.

Oddly, if I'm having a MID-DAY shutdown, I choose Breakfast at Tiffany's. I have no idea why, but I just find that movie completely relaxing, and it's my favorite of all Audrey Hepburn's films, so I put that on if I really need a midday rest.

OH and if I'm feeling moody about feeling bad, but want to make myself smile, it's The Royal Tennenbaums.
  8. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

"As Good As It Gets". Brain too foggy right now to name characters..and I know them usually.

I love the strong message with all involved in the plot of the movie. If I were a college professor I would have a hey-day using this movie for so many analogies in life when doing a movie review.

Take care & Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,

9. gladone

gladone New Member

The truth be told my fav's when not feeling well are English period films. I love anything by Jane Austen. Such as Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, & Emma.

Others at the top, The Ideal Husband, Much ado About Nothing and anything with Judi Dench in it.

When I'm in a real bad place and my mind is mush, I love cartoons. The new one's are such a blast:

*The Incredibles
    *Ice age (1&2)
    *Shrek (1&2)

It is a sad testament to this illness, but I watch ton's of movies. There are so many great films it is not possible to pick just a few. I think I would have to break it down into types and then do a top ten list in each.

Great thread though, this kind is often very insightful as to the author and his/her personality. Not to mention we get a few good ideas on things we may have not seen.

Your friend,

10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

is a very inspirational film- have you checked it out, Ken? It's sad but beautiful.... It's about C.S. Lewis. Of course, the music is beautiful too- I love the boys' choir and the organ that perform a few times.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2007]
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'll throw in a couple of titles here, as well: THE MILAGRO BEANFIELD WAR, directed by Robert Redford, and THE TAO OF STEVE--two wonderful comedies from northern New Mexico, where I live. They are both beautifully shot, and the high desert landscapes alone soothe my soul. They are also very funny, with great dialogue.

Alaska: I have seen SHADOWLANDS, and I loved it. I'm a huge CS Lewis fan, and I thought the film captured the story of his relationship with his wife beautifully.

How about more titles?

[This Message was Edited on 01/21/2007]
  12. gladone

gladone New Member

You must have great taste in movies Ken. I too love this movie. So well written and funny. It is not that often you see a comedy from a male point of view. I will have to check out the other movie, I'm sure I will like it just as well.

Any more ideas....because you hit that one on the head,

13. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

If I am down or depressed or just everyday..my movies like my books tend to lean toward non reality. I live in reality all the time..I want to be taken away by laughter or fiction.

I can't read romance novels, or watch chick flicks because then my life seems so...sad!

My reading and movies lean especially toward anything by Stephen King. I especially love "The Stand". Otherwise my husband and I both watch disaster films like "Armageddon", "The Core", etc. For laughter I think one of my faves is "Dodgeball", or watching Monty Python's "The Holy Grail" with my 16 year old.

These are what takes me away when I need a vacation from life.

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie :)
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Glad you appreciate The Tao of Steve, too.

It's an underrated gem, even on IMDB. When I first rented it, I thought it would be really stupid. It's got an awful cover. But it ended up being not only very funny, but thoughtful in some way. Donal Logue, the actor who plays Steve, is in that new tv comedy about robbing Mick Jagger--The Knights of Prosperity. It's funny, too, but has nowhere near the depth and humor of The Tao of Steve.

The funny thing, too, is that the Tao of Steve was directed and co-written by a woman.
  15. SweetT

SweetT New Member

With Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, which was actually out at the same time as Forrest Gump, so Forrest Gump took away from the fact that The Shawshank Redemption was a great movie. Yes, I love Forrest Gump, but when I feel really down, I have to look at The Shawshank Redemption. I even went to the prison where it was filmed in 1994. (I wasn't there in 1994 but in 2002)
  16. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Oh I forgot, if I'm having just a REALLY bad bad day, and I need a comedy, it's definately 'What About Bob'.

THE best movie to laugh at. Especially for FMS-ers. I love the list he goes through in his doctors office of his symptoms. It's vaguely familiar (except for the hypocondriac part)
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

AnneC: Isn't The Best Years of Our Lives remarkable? One of the returning WWII vets in the movie, Harold, I think his name was, was played by a real-life vet who had actually lost his arms. It won the Academy Award for Best Picture, around 1946, I think.

18. bct

bct Active Member

Jaqui and Hilary. or is it Hilary and Jacqui? Or something like that. About the great young cellist Jacqueline duPrez (sp) who died from MS.

Barry (Boy am I foggy today)
  19. sisland

sisland New Member

That is an all time favorite! "Thelma and Louise",,! and "Dumb and Dumber" "Soninlaw" with Pauly Shore
    [This Message was Edited on 01/23/2007]
  20. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Drumroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllll Please....................................................

and of course,

I don't know why EXACTLY...except that each character reminds me of a family member that I miss terribly due to passing, the storyline I love, I love fishing,the acting is incredible and oh yes, catfish hunter, I would love to catch and release that fish...PLUS, I would LOVE to live there...In WABASHA,MINNESOTA...Does look just like where I live though, probably another reason I LOVE THOSE MOVIES!!!

Now mind you, my brain NEVER focuses long enough for anything, esp. movies...But these get my attention and keep it there...I have seen each one well over 100 times and know each and every line, but each time I watch them, I notice something I hadn't before...

One more thing, Ken, do I remember you saying that your Dad lived in Wabasha? Some weeks ago there was a post and I thought I recalled you saying that...I responded, maybe I can go look for that one...I know the movie wasn't filmed there exactly, but is Wabasha as nice as they make it seem, some day hubby and I are going to visit there, I would esp. like to see that lake, where the restaurant is...

Share if you'd like...Alicia