Whats your handicap?

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Sunshyne1027, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I checked out at the library a couple devotional books.. and had to share this one..

Its written by Melody Beattie
    The book is called Journey to the heart.

(I think supposed to just read one a day, but cannot put these devotional books down..LOL)

What's your handicap?

"What's your handicap": the golfer asked his partner. "My childhood," said his companion.

Some handicaps are physical, certain limitations placed on our bodies. Other handicaps are emotional, burdens of heartache from sad or abusive childhoods. Others may be dealing with current issues-perhaps facing a terminal illness or grieving an irreparable loss.

After losing my son, I found myself, at a point where I simply could no longer stand the agony of waiting for my pain to disappear. I knew that all my life I would miss him, and I became absolutely despondent. There is no way out of this, I thoughy. I'm spending my life waiting for this pain to disappear so I can begin living my life again. But the pain never will disappear. And I'll never begin living my life again. That's when a gentle idea began to change my life.

I began to understand that I was living and working with a handicap. The loss would always be there. The pain and heartache would always be present, I could accept that, treat it as a handicap, and within that framework go ahead and live my life once more. The moment I made that decision, my attitude and perspective changed. I was able to go on, able to move forward.

Many of us are living with handicaps. Some will change over time, but others won't. If that's the case, stop waiting for your handicap to disappear. Instead, decide to live with it. Work around it. Treat yourself with care, with gentleness. Allow yourself to feel and experience all the limitations and emotions of your present situation. Accept them. Let them be part of you, part of your experience.

Despite living with a handicap,
    Go ahead and treat yourself to life.

:)

2. ValleyGirl89

ValleyGirl89 New Member

Great devotional! Really hits home. I felt this way, that I could not go on, could not bear it, when I lost my dad. I never thought of this as my handicap though but I see that it was a handicap. Don't know if you have had a chance to read my post about It Must Have Been You Lord... but it pretty much relates to this post of yours and my experience when I lost my dad. Thanks for posting this Sunshyne!
    Lisa
  3. Hikagranma

Hikagranma New Member

When I read this last Thursday - I knew that in one of my half filled journals - I had clipped something on 'HANDICAPS'.

Here it is: [I still have to read it over slowly several times to get the meaning - your younger minds should do much better!]

"A true handicap is what we DON'T DO with what we DO HAVE. NOT what we CAN'T DO with what we DON'T HAVE."

It is hard sometimes for me to remember this. I have my walker - a sitdown one at that! - AND I shopped for the first time [all alone in the store - Walmat] last Friday since the spring of 2000!

I guess I really don't have a handicap - right?!

Hugs - and God Bless all of you.
    Marian [grandma]

I don't have the 'old use of my old legs'. So I must use my walkers [yep walkers w/an s!] THIS IS NOT A HANDICAP -- MY HANDICAP would be to complain that I couldmn't walk like the 'GOOD OLE DAYS! Right?

[This Message was Edited on 09/22/2003]
  4. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

You got that right, that sure made me smile reading that handicaps are really not using what you do have..!

:)

Love ya, Sunshyne